hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There's a huge difference between being glad it happened now to being glad at the time. I very much doubt anyone left the stadium after the Hamilton game and thought relegation was a good thing. Now we're back we can look back and form an opinion regarding the last three years. I also don't know how you can say we're back where we started! We are back where we were on a sporting front, but we're a million miles from the club that got relegated.
    My question was based around whether you think we'd be in such a healthy position now if we'd stayed up. I don't think we would.
    The catalyst for the change is Leeann. She would have driven us on in any event with a higher budget. Being out the top division has hurt us. Butcher would not have survived.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    The catalyst for the change is Leeann. She would have driven us on in any event with a higher budget. Being out the top division has hurt us. Butcher would not have survived.
    Someone said earlier in the thread that Leeann said it would've been harder to get rid of Butcher if we'd stayed up. Had that happened Stubbs might have got another job and our cup win wouldn't have happened. That day was worth 5 seasons in the championship. It's not often you can identify the best day of your life and have pictures and a DVD to show people, but it happened.

United we stand here....

First Team Breakthrough NZ Green's Avatar
    In hindsight I think it was worth it, yeah.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibeeg
    Not glad we went down but haven't missed the SPL at all.

I've enjoyed most of the time in the championship and think there's a good chance I'd have given up my season ticket if I'd had to suffer another Butcher season struggling at the bottom of the league which would have been a shame after 30+ years having one.

Leeann has been a massive boost for the club no doubt.

However I think winning the cup is the singular most important and special event for generations and would we have ever won it without being relegated and re-building? We hadn't in 114 years prior so for me that supersedes anything else and the way in which it was achieved appears as if it was meant to have been won this way. So for me being out of the top league has not harmed the club, its united the club in a way that very few thought possible after the Hamilton debacle. That day in May and the spectacular celebrations afterwards would very probably never have occurred otherwise. Am I glad we were relegated at the time - no but the way its turned out now I wouldn't swap it for safety in the top league as its been some adventure.

Onwards and upwards and looking forward to piling on more misery to the Yams!!!

glory glory

@hibs.net private member
    Someone said earlier in the thread that Leeann said it would've been harder to get rid of Butcher if we'd stayed up. Had that happened Stubbs might have got another job and our cup win wouldn't have happened. That day was worth 5 seasons in the championship. It's not often you can identify the best day of your life and have pictures and a DVD to show people, but it happened.
    Leeann definitely would have got rid of Butcher. She asked him for his football plan, how he would develop players, identify new signings, use the technology available,etc. She told him to bring it with him on his return from holiday. He came back with nothing. She could not have worked with him
    in any division. He still would not have lasted the day.

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Am i glad we went down? Not at all, that Hamilton game will be long in my mind for a number of reasons.
    Am i glad we are where we are now? - delighted & excited.

Everything else is guesswork and conjecture (which is a large part of a discussion board ;-)
    Last edited by Dalianwanda; 29-04-2017 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by poolman View Post
    Nobody said they wanted Hibs to get relegated, please read the thread title again

If you think it is a stupid thread why did you reply to it 🤔
    Just read the post again.had too many beers last nite. apololgies mate

Apologies to anybody I offended with my post on this thread last nite.I was pretty smashed & didn't read it properly.the op was 100% correct.sorry chaps 🇳🇬🇳🇬🇳🇬

Testimonial Due NadeAteMyLunch!'s Avatar
    It's worth remembering that Leeann was coming whether we went down or not. I just don't think Butcher would've been sacked if we stayed up. I also very much doubt we'd have had our best day supporting hibs on the 21st of may last year.
    Think it does Dempster a discredit to even suggest that she would have kept Butcher on. She's so massively switched on and can see through shysters like Butcher in a second. Honestly believe her mind was completely made up before either leg of the Hamilton games.
    She actually interviewed Butcher before sacking him and said he did not match what she was looking for in a manager. I don't think that would have changed if he had scraped survival in a play off. She wanted to bring her own man in. Can you imagine for a second her working with Butcher. She'd cringe every time he opened his mouth.
    To answer the question, if the deal was relegation and the Scottish cup then I would have taken that. Think Dempster would have sorted us out in the prem if we had survived but there's no guarantee we would have won the cup so it all worked out for the best, in a strange way.

We will never know whether it has been a good or a bad thing, however, I would say that it`s the best time to be Hibby for me (perhaps Mowbray era excepted). After the Scottish cup win last year, our current dominance in derbies and our excellent attendances this year - I am very positive for the season and future ahead.

Promising Youngster
    Absolutely not. Relegation could have devastated our club, and the staggering incompetence which caused it still makes me shudder.

All the work that's gone into rebuilding us from the depths we'd fallen to would have been infinitely easier if we'd stayed up.

The relegation of Hearts and liquidation of Rangers represented a unique opportunity and we missed out big time. Look at where Aberdeen are, well established in 2nd with a really solid squad of high quality spl players. That should be us. Imagine all the players we've missed out on because players didn't fancy the Championship.

Don't get me wrong, we look in a pretty strong position going up, but we're miles away from where we could have been.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dom'sFirstTouch View Post
    Absolutely not. Relegation could have devastated our club, and the staggering incompetence which caused it still makes me shudder.

All the work that's gone into rebuilding us from the depths we'd fallen to would have been infinitely easier if we'd stayed up.

The relegation of Hearts and liquidation of Rangers represented a unique opportunity and we missed out big time. Look at where Aberdeen are, well established in 2nd with a really solid squad of high quality spl players. That should be us. Imagine all the players we've missed out on because players didn't fancy the Championship.

Don't get me wrong, we look in a pretty strong position going up, but we're miles away from where we could have been.
    Couldn't agree more.

"There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar

Great post Dom.

Honestly I give up. How can people not understand what I'm saying? Relegation happened whether we liked it or not. When it happened did we seize the opportunity and take the chance to rebuild our club. Imo yes we did. Going down has been the making of our club. If we'd stayed up would that have been the case? Not in imo.

United we stand here....

Honestly I give up. How can people not understand what I'm saying? Relegation happened whether we liked it or not. When it happened did we seize the opportunity and take the chance to rebuild our club. Imo yes we did. Going down has been the making of our club. If we'd stayed up would that have been the case? Not in imo.
    I don't get it either. We won the holy grail with a team of heroes which would in all honesty never have happened but for the last 3 years. I would have taken the cup over even being second in the top league of which is hypothetical. But everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

glory glory

Quote Originally Posted by northstandhibby View Post
    I don't get it either. We won the holy grail with a team of heroes which would in all honesty never have happened but for the last 3 years. I would have taken the cup over even being second in the top league of which is hypothetical. But everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

glory glory
    That's what I'm trying to say. We got relegated in pretty poor circumstances, but since then we've came back and won the cup and dominated our city rivals. Things right now are pretty good. 3 years ago things were catastrophically bad. To summarise things are better now.

United we stand here....

That's what I'm trying to say. We got relegated in pretty poor circumstances, but since then we've came back and won the cup and dominated our city rivals. Things right now are pretty good. 3 years ago things were catastrophically bad. To summarise things are better now.
    100%

That's another reason to be very happy of indeed. I've never seen the Yams so despondent and so afraid of us. Winning the holy grail against the huns and sending the Yams into utter depression has been fabulous.

Onwards and upwards bud.

Glory Glory to the Hi bees

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    People aren't missing the point, there's just not much deference between being glad at the time and glad now it's happened and we are back up.

I fail to see why it was necessary then or now. We are pretty much back where we started. We can say the team and club are much improved when we are doing better than we have done previously. Bear in mind that we've been very critical of teams and managers like Hughes that got us 4th previously. In the scheme of things we've still got a bit to go.
    Pretty much back to where we started? You really think that? I don't think the club has been in as healthy a position or as full of optimism for a long long time. What's your benchmark as to the starting point we've now returned to? Your pining for Yogi is quite amusing. We limped over the line to 4th that season having had a commanding lead in 3rd for a long time. His attitude after the 6-6 farce was unforgiveable.

First Team Regular
    I will never fully forgive the people I feel were responsible for us being relegated; putting all the blame on Terry Butcher is nonsense! The club had been run shambolically for years.

Blog Entries

We were relegated and it didn't devastate our club. We won the Scottish cup and are back in the top league with record crowds and a good team.

If we hadn't been relegated then who knows. We might have made these changes anyway or we might not have...it's all hypothetical and nobody knows.

So yes, I'm glad we were relegated and things turned out the way they did.

Edit...I definitely don't want to be relegated again though.

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Was angry for a long time that we allowed relegation to happen. The club had been on a downward spiral for a long time, beginning with disasterous appointments like the disgrace that was Calderwood. Still boils my blood to think an idiot like that was allowed near our club and what's worse, we wasted money sacking him when we could have gotten rid and made a profit.

The writing had long been on the wall for relegation and seeing clubs like Inverness, St Johnstone and Kilmarnock doing better on a fraction of our budget shows how criminally mismanaged the club was - on the park at least.

But we've come back up in a much better state and with the greatest win in all our lifetimes. A club on the up. Hibs forever.

Last edited by Baader; 30-04-2017 at 12:16 AM.

@hibs.net private member Mantis Toboggan's Avatar
    Don't know how anyone can put a positive spin on it. Set us back a lot. We should have been aiming for a high place finish while hearts were away and the new club working their way through the leagues.
    Aye those 2 are getting it lit up right enough.
    They are both *****. We will finish ahead of them next year.

@hibs.net private member Mantis Toboggan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    We were relegated and it didn't devastate our club. We won the Scottish cup and are back in the top league with record crowds and a good team.

If we hadn't been relegated then who knows. We might have made these changes anyway or we might not have...it's all hypothetical and nobody knows.

So yes, I'm glad we were relegated and things turned out the way they did.

Edit...I definitely don't want to be relegated again though.
    Someone who gets it. And has read the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    Nope absolutely not.

I can't believe this is even being asked to be honest.
    Is that you Terry??

Promising Youngster
    Yes I do understand, and I absolutely agree the work done since relegation by Leeann, Stubbs, Lennon etc has been outstanding and we're going up in a remarkably strong state and I'm incredibly happy at that. We could have crumbled but we rose to the challenge and that's brilliant .

Imo we absolutely did NOT have to go down and spend 3 years in the Championship for that to happen though. We were a shambles and needed a complete rebuild whatever league we were in and the new club hierarchy knew that. I'm very confident Leeann would have quickly punted Butcher, and all the the brilliant work done on infrastructure/community outreach/reconnection with fans etc would have been done anyway. We've missed out on a unique opportunity to really establish ourselves as the second best team in Scotland. Will that ever come again?

Ultimately the feel good factor (and huge season ticket sales) is down to the cup win more than anything else. Did relegation have to happen for that? I suppose we'll never know but we'd got to back-to-back finals prior to relegation so we'd been pretty close.

I'm not trying to be negative, I love where Hibs are at a club right now. It feels like we could be on the cusp of some pretty special times. I just don't agree that relegation was a necessary catalyst for all the brilliant work and amazing support by the fans which has made that happen. Anyway, onwards and upwards now.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    Pretty much back to where we started? You really think that? I don't think the club has been in as healthy a position or as full of optimism for a long long time. What's your benchmark as to the starting point we've now returned to? Your pining for Yogi is quite amusing. We limped over the line to 4th that season having had a commanding lead in 3rd for a long time. His attitude after the 6-6 farce was unforgiveable.
    Fine and when we get back to limping to 4th then great.

Coaching Staff
    I think you're not really understanding the answers either. The way you pose the question is pretty much impossible to answer as we've not seen whether we are back or moved on from where we were other than that shocking six months.

It's also not possible to know what would have happened at the club had we stayed up.