hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    @hibs.net private member GreenLake's Avatar
    Hibs could end next season by taking more points off Celtic, Aberdeen, St Johnstone and The Rangers and then be second best to the worst clubs (with the exception of Hearts who I think we will clean sweep).

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco G View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Too right! Lennon correctly said we could and should have won on Saturday. He feels we have a better squad than anyone but Celtic. I could not argue with that. Don't know why so many Hibees want to talk us down.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
    A league season is entirely different to one off cup games.
    We've won 3 league games since the start of February in what was ultimately a pretty poor championship. Do you really think that form makes us the 2nd best team in Scotland? I sure as hell don't!

Quote Originally Posted by Marco G View Post
    Too right! Lennon correctly said we could and should have won on Saturday. He feels we have a better squad than anyone but Celtic. I could not argue with that. Don't know why so many Hibees want to talk us down.

Okay, we're easily better than Aberdeen, and there's not one of their players I would take. We'd probably be better than Barcelona if it wasn't for Messi.

It's not talking the team down - it's managing to be realistic about where we are and the work ahead of us. On the basis of this season, and recent form, we will do well to finish top 6.

Let's hope the improvement is on it's way, but leave the delusions to our neighbours across the road.

@hibs.net private member PeeKay's Avatar
    Second best team in Scotland? Debateable. THE best club in Scotland? FACT

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeKay View Post
    Second best team in Scotland? Debateable. THE best club in Scotland? FACT
    There are 400,000 Hearts fans who would take you to task. They are bigger than Real Madrid, Man United and Bayern Munich combined.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickShoes View Post
    Neil Lennon says hibs were pathetic and the performance of the first 30 minutes was unacceptable - people on forums go bananas.

Neil Lennon says to hibs TV we are the second best team in the country after watching us outplay the second best team in the country for most of the game - people on forums go bananas.

I don't believe we are any worse than Aberdeen, I also don't think we will finish anywhere near second next season, but I'm not frothing at the mouth if the manager thinks that and wants to believe it.
    I am very much in this camp.

Some comments above are startling.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Trager View Post
    I am very much in this camp.

Some comments above are startling.
    Me to.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    I think it's a big vote of confidence in the players and himself, and sets out exactly where he thinks we should be.

We're not (IMHO) the second best team in the country but I think we're in the mix for it. On our day I'd fancy us against anyone - we certainly weren't outclassed by Aberdeen or Hearts, who would both see themselves as contenders for the second best slot.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

looking forward to coming back to this thread next may when we are sitting 2nd in the league

Quote Originally Posted by TheHarpy76 View Post
    A league season is entirely different to one off cup games.
    We've won 3 league games since the start of February in what was ultimately a pretty poor championship. Do you really think that form makes us the 2nd best team in Scotland? I sure as hell don't!
    OK. Think the point is what our squad of players would have done in the top league. You obviously think they would have struggled. I think they would have done very well. In the league we were in (and I don't think it was a pretty poor championship) its obvious we are by far the best team, but hamstrung by injuries and bad officials, we still won with games to spare. In cup matches against premier opposition we have always looked likely winners.

Anyway we will soon find out who is right at the end of next season

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    Okay, we're easily better than Aberdeen, and there's not one of their players I would take. We'd probably be better than Barcelona if it wasn't for Messi.

It's not talking the team down - it's managing to be realistic about where we are and the work ahead of us. On the basis of this season, and recent form, we will do well to finish top 6.

Let's hope the improvement is on it's way, but leave the delusions to our neighbours across the road.
    Hope I am not deluded, just optimistic! But since you raised it, how many Aberdeen players, would you prefer over their Hibs opposite number? If you think we will do well to finish top six I presume it must be a lot?

From Aberdeen I would take Joe Lewis , Logan , Shinnie , McLean , Rooney , McGinn , Hayes and Ryan Jack. IMO they would all enhance our squad and the majority of them would be first team picks.

We're in it to win it. They are all trembling with fear because they know we are coming for them.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    Did he make that remark? Seems an odd to thing to say. Aberdeen are the second best team in Scotland: second on the SPL and made two cup finals.
    He said we are the second best team in the country 4 times during his Hibs TV post match interview. It was Cliff doing the interview so there was no baiting or provocation involved. It did sound borne out of the frustration of losing the first couple of times he said it but by the end of the interview I think he was enjoying saying. It's really funny but I can't help but like Lennon, the man, even though I disagree with so much he says and the way he conducts himself and the style of football we play. We are not the second best team in the country. We may well become that even as early as next season and no problem with him aiming for the stars. Th eproblem is he thinks we are already at the stars from his comments and that would suggest he doesn't need too much added to the squad.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    From Aberdeen I would take Joe Lewis , Logan , Shinnie , McLean , Rooney , McGinn , Hayes and Ryan Jack. IMO they would all enhance our squad and the majority of them would be first team picks.
    Thanks. Lewis is a loan player. I would query if Logan and Shinnie are much better than what we have. So even the second top team in the top league has only 5 players who would get a game for us.

@hibs.net private member
    I would take all of them and they would all be in with a chance of starting with most going straight into the first team. I would also consider Christie albeit he is not technically their player. Shinnie, Mclean, Rooney, Hayes and McGinn would walk into our team imo and Rooney up top with JC could be very productive. We have players who can be as good but are far less consistent. Dylan is up there but only plays half the games, Squirrel can be unplayable but usually for around 10 minutes a game, Bartley is a great stopper but a bit one dimensional. We have no-one as versatile as Shinnie.

I would rather he said 'we can be the 2nd best team in Scotland' rather than 'we are the 2nd best team in Scotland' if I'm honest.

When everything is done and dusted a few weeks from now the records will show that we finished the season as the 13th best team in Scotland and that's all that really counts ..... our cup record over the last few seasons shows that any premiership club facing a fixture against Hibs has good reason to worry about the result, there is no doubt we have the players to take on anybody in Scotland with a good chance of winning, barring Celtic. The question of how far behind them we are will only be answered when we face them ... a good bit is my guess, but that doesn't mean much because so is everybody else.

Beating teams in one off games is one thing, doing it over the lengthy period of a league campaign is quite another ...... Aberdeen have proved they can do that, we have not and that's in a division lower than them .... until we can prove that we are capable of putting together a run of games in the top division where we win consistently then we can not claim to be the 2nd best team in Scotland.

With the right signings in the summer and retaining the players we need to then yes we definitely have the potential to be the 2nd best team ..... until that happens and we have proved we can win in the premiership on a regular basis I would be happier if we just shut up about it and waited to do our talking on the pitch.

I would disagree that Shinnie and Logan are not better than what we have but its all about opinions.

Aberdeen have played the exact same amount of league games as us this season and have more points , have scored more goals and have a better goal difference than us despite us playing in a lower league against inferior opposition. They also reached the league cup final and although it was a tight game at the weekend also knocked us out on the way to the Scottish cup final. The facts all point to the conclusion that they are currently a better side than we are.

Like I said in an earlier post if the the roles were reserved not one person on here would give any credence to the theory the Championship winners were better than us.

Next season is a different matter if we make the correct signings.

Beat Rangers the last couple of times we've played them. Beat Aberdeen last year and saturday was anyones game. Beat St Johnstone. Jambos? Yer havin a laugh? And all while we were in the championship.

I would disagree that Shinnie and Logan are not better than what we have but its all about opinions.

Aberdeen have played the exact same amount of league games as us this season and have more points , have scored more goals and have a better goal difference than us despite us playing in a lower league against inferior opposition. They also reached the league cup final and although it was a tight game at the weekend also knocked us out on the way to the Scottish cup final. The facts all point to the conclusion that they are currently a better side than we are.

Like I said in an earlier post if the the roles were reserved not one person on here would give any credence to the theory the Championship winners were better than us.

Most sensible post on this topic. Well said.

Spot on.

@hibs.net private member

100%.

I think it's refreshing to hear that from a Hibs manager.

We all know Celtic are in a league of their own but I see no reason why we can't be aiming for second place next season, unless Sevco get their act together.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    I think it's refreshing to hear that from a Hibs manager.

We all know Celtic are in a league of their own but I see no reason why we can't be aiming for second place next season, unless Sevco get their act together.
    He is not saying we are aiming for being the second best team he said we are the second best team. I don't think anyone disagrees that we should be aiming for second best.

Left by mutual consent! IlDiavola's Avatar
    There's positivity and there's ridiculousness...

You've got to love Neil Lennon, he just does/says what he wants. Long may it continue he's a class act imo

We are not the 2nd best team in the country.

If anyone thinks we are, just look at the league tables.

I think Lennon meant that we have potential to be 2nd best, which we absolutely should be aiming for

Left by mutual consent! IlDiavola's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiberniankb View Post
    You've got to love Neil Lennon, he just does/says what he wants. Long may it continue he's a class act imo
    I like Lennon but there is no way he is classy.

Watch the first part of this programme, in which Lennon is interviewed (5.47-6.21)

https://youtu.be/MwECcZhlCBg