Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yogi

Yogi

http://www.deadlinenews.co.uk/2017/0...form=hootsuite

He's not wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Ifs buts maybes. Seem to remember a long run of not winning games and Edwin VDG.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by O'Rourke3 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ifs buts maybes. Seem to remember a long run of not winning games and Edwin VDG.

The article does say he was not allowed to sign the players he wanted and that is possibly why we ended up with Edwin VDG?

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Maybe it was but if his targets were Messi, Beckham et al he's playing fast and loose with facts. He brought in a lot of players in his time which suggests his targets were the problem rather than the backing.

Sounds like the penny pinching era that was Petrie, losing out on main targets and instead ending up with 3rd and 4th choices, pretty sure Collins left complaining of the same thing.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    The article does say he was not allowed to sign the players he wanted and that is possibly why we ended up with Edwin VDG?

So is that the second manager now, Collins being the other, to say they weren't allowed to sign the players they wanted?

Maybe they both had unrealistic targets, or maybe Petrie was doing his Terry Butcher impression or running a football club which we've only just managed to recover from that damage done.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Fitba folk ken what's goan on.

Would we have acquired the holy grail and had whats been a roller-coaster journey of extreme highs and lows of the last 3 years or so? I wouldn't swap the last three years for anything now. Stubbs is the immortal legendary manager who led similarly a team of immortal legends into the history books.

As much as I have fond memories of Yogi as a player for us, I don't think we would ever have won the holy grail under his tenure as manager no matter how long he stayed.

glory glory

Regardless of the players available we were tactically a shambles in the latter part of Hughes reign. St Johnstone away still gives me nightmares and his antics on the touchline that day were embarrassing.

Maybe he should have adjusted his side to suit the players he did have. Much like Fenlon did and Butcher should have.

Yogi remembers his tenure differently from me. Miles clear in 3rd and championship Ross County at home in the Scottish cup. County beat us after a reply and we went on a ***** run to just get 4th on the last day. He was useless in derbies as well.

People think Fenlon was carried by Griffiths but Yogi was carried much more by Stokes and Riordan. Fenlon also signed better players (Williams > 3 keepers Yogi signed, Doyle > Duffy/Gow, Claros >Liam Miller, Craig/Roberton > De Graff/Cregg)

I'd rather be in the champ with Stubbs than the top league with Hughes, bitter slavering buffoon. Sacking Hughes didnt start our decline, hiring him did.

Quote Originally Posted by O'Rourke3 View Post
    Maybe it was but if his targets were Messi, Beckham et al he's playing fast and loose with facts. He brought in a lot of players in his time which suggests his targets were the problem rather than the backing.

At the start of his reign he brought in some very good players indeed - when we had Stokes, Miller and McBride playing we were often excellent. He's since done well at other clubs so I don't think it is his eye for a player that is the problem.

His last transfer window was as bad as we've had, up there with Fenlon's before the relegation season. Losing Stokes late in the window, signing Darryl Duffy on loan and panic buying Valdas Trakys after the window had closed?

I agree with what Yogi said in the article, I reckon he was Petried during that window (as was Pat).

To think that someone, somewhere thought getting rid of Yogi and appointing Colin Calderwood was the solution......

Hughes is maybe right. It's also interesting to see the freefalll Inverness have experienced since he left. I believe he left there afer a falling out with the chairman for failing to back his transfer policy. I always thought of him as a bit of a slaver but he talks a lot of sense there - although easy to look back with benefit of hindsight.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    No strikers away to Maribor. O'Connor and Riordan on the bench. Lost 3-0.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Yogi remembers his tenure differently from me. Miles clear in 3rd and championship Ross County at home in the Scottish cup. County beat us after a reply and we went on a ***** run to just get 4th on the last day. He was useless in derbies as well.

People think Fenlon was carried by Griffiths but Yogi was carried much more by Stokes and Riordan. Fenlon also signed better players (Williams > 3 keepers Yogi signed, Doyle > Duffy/Gow, Claros >Liam Miller, Craig/Roberton > De Graff/Cregg)

I'd rather be in the champ with Stubbs than the top league with Hughes, bitter slavering buffoon. Sacking Hughes didnt start our decline, hiring him did.

I'd agree with that especially the comparing of players.it's easy for Hughes to now say I wasnt backed.still doesn't excuse some of the signings.

However he has a point we have went backwards since he left but he also had his part to play.always thought it was a bit of comfort blanket for managers that have failed here to blame petrie.never hold there hands up and admit there own mistakes.

It will be interesting to see if the board back the manager this summer. With attendances higher than they have been for a long long time there should be a significant lift in the quality of our signings. Will we see it? We didn't last season.

Yogi was an erse who signed ***** players

It will be interesting to see if the board back the manager this summer. With attendances higher than they have been for a long long time there should be a significant lift in the quality of our signings. Will we see it? We didn't last season.

Why on earth would you want us to bring in quality players? You'll have nothing to post about.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    The lack of budget available doesnt seem to hinder Ross County or Patrick for example. He made a mess of his signings with the budget we had. Valdas Trakys ffs!

Hughes trying to re-write history. Apart from the first 6 months, when he had a lot to thank Stokes for, Hughes was an incoherent buffoon as a Hibs manager who was taking the team / club on a journey to the bottom.

Petrie was right to sack Hughes, Fenlon, Calderwood and Butcher, as none of them should have been appointed in the first place.

@hibs.net private member oldbutdim's Avatar
    A selective memory there I think.

It almost sounds as if he's bin places and dun hings.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Taking Deek off in the 6-6 game when he was playing a blinder was another tactical masterstroke I remember.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Every manager moans about budgets. What yogi did at the start then gradually didn't do was getting the right players in within our budget. Lennons signings have been mixed but he has got the job done. We were going backwards at an alarming rate before yogi was punted. Obviously the mistake was in who we got in. We got lucky with Stubbs and will struggle to get anyone better than Lennon. The common denominator is l Dempster. Simple as as far as I'm concerned. Knows what she is doing and backs the manager.

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar
    Specious reasoning is in bloom.

If ANY manager signed the players they wanted, they'd do better. That's not Yogithink.

The fact remains that he presided over a collapse at Motherwell in what I maintain was Graeme Smith either being the worst goalkeeper of all time or paid to throw the match.

The fact remains that he presided over a dressing roompunch up.

The fact remains that Falkirk fans told us on his arrival that once a downturn came, he wouldn't have a clue what to do about it and Boy didnt that turn out to be accurate.

The fact remain that Valdas wore Trakys and whose fault was that?

Exactly.
    Last edited by Speedway; 25-04-2017 at 08:31 AM.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar

Of course Lennon was backed. The main aim was to win promotion. The box was ticked a week and a half ago. Job done for everyone at the club. Why on earth would you spend more money than was necessary?

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Was as a season of two halves with Yogi, really:

1st half

P 19 W 9 D 6 L 4

2nd half

P 19 W 6 D 3 L 10

I certainly didn't see the slump coming. We had three great wins in a week at the end of January (including an away win at Celtic) and then drew at home with Aberdeen to take us four points clear in 3rd, with a game in hand. Dundee Utd had just lost Craig Levein and their results were suffering (it's ironic to think how hard they tried to get Pat Fenlon at that point) and I thought we were a shoe in for third.

In in the 3-0 defeat at Ibrox that kicked off the slump, we played very well and were never 3 goals worse than Rangers. We didn't half collapse though, we lost ten of our last 15 matches, which is horrendous. We went from having one of the best defences in the UK at Christmas, to looking like the most vulnerable Hibs team I'd ever seen at that point. At one point we lost 6 in a row, losing 15 goals in the process. Yes our excellent form from earlier in the season got us over the line despite a late push from Motherwell, and 4th is definitely not to be sniffed at given what happened subsequently.

He deserved a chance to take us into the following season, and had Riordan not missed a penalty against ICT at home, we may well have held onto his job. However, at the time he left we had one win in ten overall in the season, and four defeats from seven in the league. I wasn't sorry when he went, though I don't think we would have been as bad as we were under Calderwood, subsequently.

I'm glad that he's gone on to have successes elsewhere, and I think some of the things that were said about him when he was our manager were horrendously disrespectful. But I'm with others in that I wouldn't swap the last three years for anything, given how things have gone since our cup run started in 2016.

I remember hearing Petrie's biggest fault in the dark days was that he gave a budget to the managers, when you look at turnover off players that budget would be easily one of the biggest in Scotland outwith the old firm. Fault being with this budget he let the managers spend it in whatever they wanted and maybe never really questioned the players being brought in. Now looking at that a chairman giving the manager a free reign on the football side, yes, but the dross that we signed back then he should have questioned the managers judgement!!!
    Mr Petrie brought in managers and got rid of them, with a manager going you upset the continuity of the workplace as they take the backroom staff with them, so a new managers comes in, new way of working, new staff etc.. at the time we had a diss-functional club every 18 months. That's what was wrong with our club then, the chairman got the choice of manager wrong and he has to stand by that, which I think he does.
    Never really have a bad thing to say about Rod as he got Leeann in and look at the club now if a manager goes we get one in that fits Hibs there isn't the turmoil behind the scenes anymore. Yogi can say all he likes but a manager goes by results, fact!!! Results normally defined by the type of players he brings in fact!!!

I think the decline under Yogi was summed up in one particularly abject match, a 0-0 draw at home to St Johnstone. It was freezing and we were abysmal. Well, the defence and goalkeeper were fine but we offered nothing going forward.

For that game, Colin Nish was the only fit striker at the club. Riordan was suspended and Duffy and Trakys were both injured. Nish was struggling for form at the time, he was played up front on his own and he struggled really badly, and iirc was "ironically cheered" as he went off to be replaced by David Stephens.

I remember thinking that this was a state of affairs that my Sunday League team would be ashamed of, let alone a Premier League football club that I'd paid about £400 for a season ticket for.

Yogi wasn't who I felt was to blame, I thought at the time and still do that it was Petrie playing silly beggars with the transfer negotiations over the summer costing us being able to bring in the players we needed, the same as happened to poor Fenlon a couple of years later after Griffiths and Doyle had left.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I think the decline under Yogi was summed up in one particularly abject match, a 0-0 draw at home to St Johnstone. It was freezing and we were abysmal. Well, the defence and goalkeeper were fine but we offered nothing going forward.

For that game, Colin Nish was the only fit striker at the club. Riordan was suspended and Duffy and Trakys were both injured. Nish was struggling for form at the time, he was played up front on his own and he struggled really badly, and iirc was "ironically cheered" as he went off to be replaced by David Stephens.

I remember thinking that this was a state of affairs that my Sunday League team would be ashamed of, let alone a Premier League football club that I'd paid about £400 for a season ticket for.

Yogi wasn't who I felt was to blame, I thought at the time and still do that it was Petrie playing silly beggars with the transfer negotiations over the summer costing us being able to bring in the players we needed, the same as happened to poor Fenlon a couple of years later after Griffiths and Doyle had left.
    Yogi had gone by the time of that game you are describing - was the weekend of the referees strike. Was still the players he left behind, but Calderwood was in charge.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

Yet again you make this claim without any evidence.

As you don't know the player budget for this season, you are just speculating but dressing it up as FACT.

@hibs.net private member Craig_HFC's Avatar
    Yogi is a ****ing buffoon.

The 6-6 game typified his time in charge; a great start but when the tactics needed changed he had no idea what to do.
    PERSEVERE
    Verb: pə:ːsɪ'ˈvɪə/
    To not give up.
    To go the distance.
    To stop at nothing.