hibs.net Messageboard

Page 19 of 81 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer Signings

Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It doesn't matter where they've come from - as long as they can play. Like it or not Celtc has become the avaricious supermarket of Scottish football. They buy all the talent but they can't shift it onto the park, due to the game still being 11-a-side. They are usually just buying for the stockroom. The goods then become available at knock-off prices to everybody else, once they realise that they want to play football, rather than gather dust on the shelves.

Yes, you can discover McGinns and Mallans at the corner shop, but no sense in not poking your head into Tesco once and a while for bargains, just because the corporate stink of it offends you.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Danny Swanson, Boyce, Mallan, Morgan, Erwin, Whittaker
    Mallan off to Barnsley for £200k....gutter.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/05/16...-boyce/page/1/

Yams ready to splash the cash?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    500k is a lot of money for us but on the other hand wee desperately need a free scoring centre forward and Boyce fits the bill.

I could see Aberdeen, at a push, spending £500K on Boyce given their league finish and cup runs, and the money that will have brought in - as well as their obvious desire to improve their squad - but I would be amazed if Hearts were to do such a thing, even given their previous.

I don't think for one second that we would spend that amount on him, but wouldn't be over the moon if we did (though I would make my peace with it, obviously!) - too much of a risk for me.

FWIW, we already have a free scoring centre forward - certainly wouldn't say no to another one though, obviously.

Here is an article reviewing his signings at Bolton the older ones seemed to have been the more successful.

http://lionofviennasuite.sbnation.co...erers-signings
    And his Celtic signings for us have been his more successful as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Liam Miller View Post
    Mallan off to Barnsley for £200k....gutter.
    Disappointed last summer when we didn't go for him instead of Shinnie and disappointed we didn't even try this summer.
    Hopefully have something better lined up.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Disappointed last summer when we didn't go for him instead of Shinnie and disappointed we didn't even try this summer.

Whose to say we didnt? Once Championship teams show an interest wages blow us out the water I think.

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby

If I remember correctly we DID go for him. He was out of contract but Hibs couldn't afford the development fee St Mirren were looking for. He was left in limbo for a bit and ended up signing a new 2 year deal with St Mirren.

Blog Entries
    Here is an article reviewing his signings at Bolton the older ones seemed to have been the more successful.

http://lionofviennasuite.sbnation.co...erers-signings
    That article was written in May 2015. Gudjohnsen left for China shortly after that & IIRC Heskey only scored 1 or 2 goals in the following season when Bolton finished bottom.

Lennons previous transfer have went from one end of the spectrum to the other.

At Celtic he had the most money in the country to spend on players, at Bolton he had none and had to keep saving on the budget and skip and save on players.

So its hard to judge, will be interesting to see how he gets on at us, imo hes done well soo far with his signings.

Testimonial Due
    with LD there and george craig , I am sure we will be ok on this.....good club to join ........although some might prefer to leave ....

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Nick T Muir
    This will be an interesting season from a signing perspective. I think all of Lennon's signings to date have been short term appointments? Of them, we're only looking to offer deals for Rocky and Effe.

Despite this, most have been decent enough and were probably what we needed to achieve the no.1 aim of winning the league this year.

This season should be different cause we're not trying to win the league, and there is more scope to start building a team for the future. Having said this a lot the names linked to us seem to look like short term in nature due to these players being in their twighlight years except Stokes.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I have no issue with brining in good quality 'experience' to supplement a squad that is already decent and has decent youngsters primed to be promoted in to the first team. Whether or not Lennon brings through the youth at the same time remains to be seen.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    As a manager one of the biggest gambles you make are signings and ultimately Lennons career will be defined by how good his signings are.

With that in mind it doesn't make sense for him to gamble on players he doesn't know if players he knows are good enough are available. Not only will he know their abilities on the park but he'll know the personalities and work ethic of them as well, you just cant do that with players you scout or watch from afar.

I've changed my tune a bit from earlier but I can totally understand why we might be after a lot of ex Celtic players and I don't blame Lennnon for going down that route.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    As a manager one of the biggest gambles you make are signings and ultimately Lennons career will be defined by how good his signings are.

With that in mind it doesn't make sense for him to gamble on players he doesn't know if players he knows are good enough are available. Not only will he know their abilities on the park but he'll know the personalities and work ethic of them as well, you just cant do that with players you scout or watch from afar.

I've changed my tune a bit from earlier but I can totally understand why we might be after a lot of ex Celtic players and I don't blame Lennnon for going down that route.
    Makes sense to go for players you know want to play for you and you know what they can do. Commons and Ambrose were just perfect signings and shows Lenny will get players to the club other managers might not. The big test will be the strikers he gets in.in Lenny we trust.

Quote Originally Posted by CallumLaidlaw View Post
    6 - 1 of which actually signed, and only really Osman that was pretty definite that we went for.

So far -

Stokes
    Ambrose
    Henderson
    Mackay-Steven
    Ajer
    Samaras
    Stokes
    Wilson
    Mulgrew
    McDonald
    Commons
    Maloney

That's the ones I can think of.

that's 12 linked in half the time Stubbs was at the club. 3 signed and we definitely have tried for/spoken to McDonald and Wilson.

I do think its a lot of lazy journalism with some of the names. But it also is a bit worrying that our scouting network isn't identifying many players. I have no issue with Lennon using his past experiences, but most of these players will be at the top end of our wage bracket. Surely we should be going out and finding some gems.
    Coz they were really lazy scouting for Marciano and Laidlaw weren't they?? Don't believe everything u read in the papers mate

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Lennon said on by sport that there's 6 players signed from last season for next.

Gray
    McGregor
    Lewis
    Laidlaw
    Bartley

Who is the 6th?

Lennon is on BT tonight and made a joke about being linked with all these ex Celtic players when they were talking to him earlier. Not hearing much is good imo, means we're keeping who we're looking at quiet which makes it easier to get them

Fontaine has re-signed according to Lennon. Good news!

Quote Originally Posted by col02 View Post
    Not going for Wilson. Hanlon fit for next season. Trying to sign ambrose. Happy days!!

Quote Originally Posted by col02 View Post
    Yip seemed to indicate the Wilson chat was from January and well covered in that area anyway with Fontaine signing up

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Marvin View Post
    Not going for Wilson. Hanlon fit for next season. Trying to sign ambrose. Happy days!!
    Big Fonts strikes me as a popular character not only amongst the fans but his team mates. Important to try keep the harmony and togetherness there.

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Just heard that. Kelvin Wilson "speculation ". Lennon saying he spoke to him at Christmas when we had a CH crisis. Sounds unlikely now. Lennon saying top 6 first priority but indicated we should be aiming for "best of the rest" I.e. Second place.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

Did he say how long for? Just Boyle and fyvie to go now.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post

Good sensible post, spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by BOB MARLEYS DUG View Post
    I want Hendo back ☹️☹️
    I think its pretty much inevitable you's will get Henderson in the summer, I really can't see him getting into the team now. I also think there is a chance Kristoffer Ajer our young CB could end up at Hibs, I thought it was a smart move Brendan Rodgers sending him to Kilmarnock to see what it's like playing for a team pretty much up against it. Sending him out on loan to Hibs next season would be great for him, playing for a team with all the expectations and pressure in the world is ideal for him and perfect for Hibs because he is a very good young defender. I really hope you's sign Commons permanently he's got about 2 seasons of top flight football left in him I think, and he would be good for the younger guys in your team. Hopefully you's hold onto Ambrose as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelTheCelt View Post
    I think its pretty much inevitable you's will get Henderson in the summer, I really can't see him getting into the team now. I also think there is a chance Kristoffer Ajer our young CB could end up at Hibs, I thought it was a smart move Brendan Rodgers sending him to Kilmarnock to see what it's like playing for a team pretty much up against it. Sending him out on loan to Hibs next season would be great for him, playing for a team with all the expectations and pressure in the world is ideal for him and perfect for Hibs because he is a very good young defender. I really hope you's sign Commons permanently he's got about 2 seasons of top flight football left in him I think, and he would be good for the younger guys in your team. Hopefully you's hold onto Ambrose as well.
    We've put a bid in for you mate. See you soon.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3pm View Post

Quote Originally Posted by 3pm View Post

A straight swap with Greenlex perhaps?

Lennons trying to build a team capable of winning second place....it wouldn't bother me if we had half a team of ex celtic players.......just like it didn't bother celtic when they had half a team of ex hibs players

Blog Entries
    Watching Luke Leahy just now. A player I've always liked & out of contract I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    Watching Luke Leahy just now. A player I've always liked & out of contract I believe.
    Agreed 👍