hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Rangers fans

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by barcahibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's nice.

I completely disagree with that political/historic viewpoint.

Luckily however it's got bugger all to do with football so we can both happily go to Easter Road and support the Hibs without caring. You know what's really nice about my seat in the ground? The folk around me. Do you know what their politics or religion are? No, neither do I. I know we're all Hibbies though.

It's only celgers fans who would have one of us barred.
    Fine to disagree, but my point is that there is no heirarchy of offence.

Like you, I enjoy supporting Hibs and beyond objecting to racist and peadophile type banter, don't give a flying **** about the views of my fellow fans.

Not sure what a celger fan is or what banned has to do with it, but I will argue until the cows come home that the two cheeks of the erchie arguement serves only the status quo

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    One might be a bit worse than the other, but both are still ****. Cant believe Celtic are getting less stick because their actions are not quite as bad as sevco?

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    As long as the 'two cheeks' line keeps getting trotted out then the big lie will continue.

Celtic fans may be idiots, patronising, ignorant, arrogant and whatever else but when it comes to sectarianism they are not even close to Rangers fans. Over the years I have met many Protestant Celtic fans. I have never encountered a Catholic Rangers fan.
    I have to agree to a great extent. Having moved around a bit, as I am sure many on here have, I find the Rangers fans bigotry on a different level. I have met many Celtic fans when I lived in Europe and here in the States and I have to admit they obviously are much more comfortable knowing I am a Hibs fan. However, not one cares that I am not a Catholic and indeed have an aversion to religion.

I fully appreciate different groups have different views on other entities, political, military etc and whilst me may not agree in these areas I have not yet encountered a Celtic fan who hated me because I am not a Catholic. I may yet but I can only go on decades of personal experience.
    Last edited by SanFranHibs; 24-04-2017 at 09:31 PM.

@hibs.net private member barcahibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Superfuddyhibby View Post
    Fine to disagree, but my point is that there is no heirarchy of offence.

Like you, I enjoy supporting Hibs and beyond objecting to racist and peadophile type banter, don't give a flying **** about the views of my fellow fans.

Not sure what a celger fan is or what banned has to do with it, but I will argue until the cows come home that the two cheeks of the erchie arguement serves only the status quo
    Apologies, showing my age.

When the old Roy of the Rovers comic had its hero make a journey North into the wilds of Jockland the teams that inevitably ended up featuring against the mighty Melchester Rovers were usually 'Celgers' and 'Rantic'. Always stuck with me :) I presume one side were supported by orange kafflicks and the other by republican unionists. In a small nod to realism however neither side had any affinity with soap.

I presume the real reason was so that Glaswegian fans could still wonder what team Roy really supported.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Elephant Stone View Post
    Orange and Protestant are different things. Objecting to someone for being Orange is not objecting to them for being Protestant. Pretty simple.
    Do you seriously think that Celtic fans differentiate between the two?

Quote Originally Posted by SanFranHibs View Post
    I have to agree to a great extent. Having moved around a bit, as I am sure many on here have, I find the Rangers fans bigotry on a different level. I have met many Celtic fans when I lived in Europe and here in the States and I have to admit they obviously are much more comfortable knowing I am a Hibs fan. However, not one cares that I am not a Catholic and indeed have an aversion to religion.

I fully appreciate different groups have different views on other entities, political, military etc and whilst me may not agree in these areas I have not yet encountered a Celtic fan who hated me because I am not a Catholic. I may yet but I can only go on decades of personal experience.
    Their bigotry towards you might be different because at the very worst you're a neutral. It's a bit like saying the Nazis were ok because they treated their British POW's with respect because they saw them as brethren.

Left by mutual consent! majorhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    Do you seriously think that Celtic fans differentiate between the two?
    Now your takin liberties, d'you seriously think all tics are Catholic? A few on here like grand master Gray fi Falkirk etc cannae see woods for trees.

Quote Originally Posted by majorhibs View Post
    Now your takin liberties, d'you seriously think all tics are Catholic? A few on here like grand master Gray fi Falkirk etc cannae see woods for trees.
    You're hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    Their bigotry towards you might be different because at the very worst you're a neutral. It's a bit like saying the Nazis were ok because they treated their British POW's with respect because they saw them as brethren.
    They are either bigoted towards me or they are not. Not a 'different bigotry'. If they are very friendly and indeed one in L.A. was my best mate and one in Paris my best mate then there was no bigotry. Not even a different kind of bigotry.

And it's actually nothing like saying the Nazis were ok.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    I think an important distinction is the behaviour of the home support in each case. Celtic have successfully reduced songs about religion and Ireland at home matches to a minimal level, Old Firm games apart, of course! Their away support - the hardcore - are still in a time warp of IRA singalongs. Rangers, on the other hand, will blast out their nonsense home and away every week. This isn't an apology for the bammery that exists within the Celtic support (they still have a long way to go) but it's merely an acknowledgement that the number of such songs, and the frequency with which they are sung, are different at the two clubs. I would say it's much easier to be a Protestant Celtic supporter than it is being a Roman Catholic Rangers supporter. This is why I think it's glib to use the 'both as bad as each other line', but I do think both are a problem.

I do agree with the OP also that the fascination amongst some Rangers fans with the molestation of children is deeply troubling. It's hard to imagine how a grown man can sing that stuff in public, and in a place where there are children around too. However, that's a slightly different issue from the bigotry problem.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

They can kid each other on about who's worse than who, but their both as bad as each other.
    The only difference in my book is that one of them try to come across as the goodie goodies but it's all still there and no matter if some Protestants end up supporting Celtic and maybe some Catholics end up supporting The The Rangers, the truth is the majority, because of their different persuasions, support there team purely because of their religious beliefs and are brought up that way to do so.
    There are two ways to rid football of this disgrace, one being, deduct points, the second, get rid of them out of Scotland.
    Me personally, their bigotry doesn't bother me, what bothers me more is the years of cheating , abusing and raping other clubs of their best players to ensure the top two places, also the split of money, the voting system on changing any of this abuse, the acceptance of our hierarchy to allow this to happen and also the acceptance of the Glasgow media. Their not making us a laughing stock in the football world, they did that years ago.
    There is only one way to save our football and that is to get rid of them, so what if it reduces investment, were hardly getting anything as it is and what we do get, they get, as always, the lions share.

Worst thread I've seen in here since I joined - and before anyone says it, I won't click on it again 😀

Quote Originally Posted by Santa Cruz View Post
    Worst thread I've seen in here since I joined - and before anyone says it, I won't click on it again 😀
    I'd strongly disagree with that.

You may not like the content but, excepting a few throwaway comments, it's been debated in a pretty sensible and respectful manner.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    As long as the 'two cheeks' line keeps getting trotted out then the big lie will continue.

Celtic fans may be idiots, patronising, ignorant, arrogant and whatever else but when it comes to sectarianism they are not even close to Rangers fans. Over the years I have met many Protestant Celtic fans. I have never encountered a Catholic Rangers fan.
    Seemingly catholics are welcome but they're too bigoted

If you look at how this thread started it's the usual story. The Huns do something beyond the pale, rightly get called out for it and then about 2 posts in somebody or other chimes in with "yeah, but Celtc are just as bad, blah blah" and on it goes.

My guess is that we always do this because there is a section of our support that's super touchy about being seen as "mini-Tims" and thus can't let any criticism of the Huns pass without ramming it down everyone's throats that they're 2 cheeks of the same arse etc etc.

Now don't get me wrong, there are lots of objectionable Celtc fans and the Irish republican stuff is pretty tedious (although I would say diminishing). But to say they're as bad as the Huns is just laughable. To take one simple example, could you really see Celtc fans doing what the Huns did in Manchester?

So, to sum up:

Celtic are a ****my club, who we want nothing to do with.. but are not in the same league as The Rangers. And they can both get to f***?

That'll do me.
    Last edited by WeeRussell; 25-04-2017 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    So, to sum up:

Celtic are a ****my club, who we want nothing to do with.. but are not in the same league as Rangers. And they can both get to f***?

That'll do me.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    So, to sum up:

Celtic are a ****my club, who we want nothing to do with.. but are not in the same league as Rangers. And they can both get to f***?

That'll do me.
    I think this is a reasonable conclusion
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    So, to sum up:

That'll do me.
    Other than saying it's celtc and the rangers that's a perfect summation for me.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post
    Other than saying it's celtc and the rangers that's a perfect summation for me.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk
    A very good point - Edited

I live near Hampden, at 'the Rangers end' On Sunday, I had an errand to run with the wee man before the match. Immediatly outside my door he heard chants urging 'fenian c****s' to surrender or they'll die and 'Billy Boys' (the minority...apparently) He was also treated to the site of two guys p*ssing on the side wall of one of our local shops and then endured the top of our car getting drummed on as I tried to pull out and get away.

We then had to cut across the Celtic fans on foot round the other side of the stadium, who were generally just laughing, talking and joking as they made their way there, with no rebel or offensive singing from them at that point I could hear.

I'm not offended by swearing or particularly intimidated by rowdy pre-match behaviour, but the atmosphere is totally different - I know what set of fans I'd rather have to walk amongst regardless of their clubs politics/leanings/history. Wee man aks after 'Dad, why are Rangers fans so horrible?' at 7, even he picked up on it.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Superfuddyhibby View Post
    Last time I looked the mid 70's were just over 40 years ago and I also mentioned until well into the 80's. That is also why I asked if the gadj that posted was around in those days.

Much as I have to admit enjoying a rebel song and generally decrying the whole dirty orange ******* thing back in those days, I am also glad that these songs are no longer sung.

It is a mark of progress, although I would also say that I and many others I knew had no interest or supoort for the IRA, buy we still belted out the songs, especially against the Hun. We were young, daft and very tribal. To be fair society has moved on a bit and just as commissioning Love thy Neighbour for the telly is no longer acceptable, so is singing certain types of song at the football.
    Exactly where I am. Society, or at least most of it, has grown out of it, as have Hibs. The world seems to have changed dramatically but the British Bulldog mentality is alive and well in Govan. Celtic and their supporters have came a long way too but are not there yet and it was far more ingrained than it ever was in the Hibs support. Hibs fans have even got the part of our support who sang about paedophiles and refugees to pretty much stop too which shows it is about self policing, that is why it won't stop in Govan.

Quote Originally Posted by SanFranHibs View Post
    They are either bigoted towards me or they are not. Not a 'different bigotry'. If they are very friendly and indeed one in L.A. was my best mate and one in Paris my best mate then there was no bigotry. Not even a different kind of bigotry.

And it's actually nothing like saying the Nazis were ok.
    So if you went into a Ku Klux Klan bar and got served it would mean they're not racist? Your logic is flawed.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    If you look at how this thread started it's the usual story. The Huns do something beyond the pale, rightly get called out for it and then about 2 posts in somebody or other chimes in with "yeah, but Celtc are just as bad, blah blah" and on it goes.

My guess is that we always do this because there is a section of our support that's super touchy about being seen as "mini-Tims" and thus can't let any criticism of the Huns pass without ramming it down everyone's throats that they're 2 cheeks of the same arse etc etc.

Now don't get me wrong, there are lots of objectionable Celtc fans and the Irish republican stuff is pretty tedious (although I would say diminishing). But to say they're as bad as the Huns is just laughable. To take one simple example, could you really see Celtc fans doing what the Huns did in Manchester?
    This is how I see it. Rangers are absolute **** of the earth. Celtic are nowhere near as bad, and I'd imagine that fans of nearly every club, excluding Rangers and the mini huns down the road, would say the same thing. Celtic have an unsavoury element, no doubt about it, but Rangers are 10 times worse. If fans of other clubs want to call me a mini Tim because of that then go ahead.