hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rangers fans

Quote Originally Posted by Superfuddyhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You were obviously too young to have gone to games inthe 70's and 80's then?
    I think that's what he means by we've come a long way in maturing past the bigotry.

I have been going to watch Hibs games for over 20 years now and, barring a handful of idiots singing the odd one or two songs, I have never heard a sectarian song sung at Easter Road.

The day that Easter Road becomes a smaller version of Parkhead is the day that I stop going to games.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    As long as folk let themselves get offended by songs sung by Rangers, they will continue to do so with even more gusto and take satisfaction in the knowledge that they are getting a reaction.
    It doesn't personally bother me that much, it's just background noise to me.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    You were obviously too young to have gone to games inthe 70's and 80's then?
    You do realise that the 70's were nearly 50 years ago?

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    I think that's what he means by we've come a long way in maturing past the bigotry.

I have been going to watch Hibs games for over 20 years now and, barring a handful of idiots singing the odd one or two songs, I have never heard a sectarian song sung at Easter Road.

The day that Easter Road becomes a smaller version of Parkhead is the day that I stop going to games.
    Well said that man.

Quote Originally Posted by 21.05.2016 View Post
    A club rotten to the very core with the absolute dregs of society supporting it. Vile club, even more vile supporters.

Sex abuse and peadophiles is there favourite insult. If they aren't singing about killing catholics their singing about peadophiles. A lovely bunch indeed.

New club. Still Scotlands shame.
    You can understand it with teenagers, but grown men shouting abuse about paedophilles is embarrassing. It's become the go-to insult of the severely cognitively challenged. How fitting that Huns have a whole songbook dedicated to this.

Rangers fans are ****.even the ones that have reasonable jobs etc. They are still ****.

@hibs.net private member Leith Green's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    You can understand it with teenagers, but grown men shouting abuse about paedophilles is embarrassing. It's become the go-to insult of the severely cognitively challenged. How fitting that Huns have a whole songbook dedicated to this.

Its just madness especially when you factor in the recent revelations in the football world. If that doesnt make you realise how wrong it is , then nothing ever will

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post

I've got a Hun pal. He's actually a smart, well-travelled guy but talk to him about his club and their troubles over the past 5 years and his only comeback is 'aye but they are peedos. Big Jock Knew!'

Apparently we desperately need Rangerz and it's only one in a row because any title won without them in the League doesnae count.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    Last time I looked the mid 70's were just over 40 years ago and I also mentioned until well into the 80's. That is also why I asked if the gadj that posted was around in those days.

Much as I have to admit enjoying a rebel song and generally decrying the whole dirty orange ******* thing back in those days, I am also glad that these songs are no longer sung.

It is a mark of progress, although I would also say that I and many others I knew had no interest or supoort for the IRA, buy we still belted out the songs, especially against the Hun. We were young, daft and very tribal. To be fair society has moved on a bit and just as commissioning Love thy Neighbour for the telly is no longer acceptable, so is singing certain types of song at the football.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by givescotlandfreedom View Post
    What poison did they come out with this time?
    A uniform so simple in its style
    Pro IRA song

@hibs.net private member Malthibby's Avatar
    Here you go, hope this jogs your memory.

https://stv.tv/news/west-central/136...old-firm-game/
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...y-protest.html
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc5ZS3QRJ7Q

PS - We're nothing like them at all so you should get that idea out of your head.
    Two sides of the same coin, please don't ever kid yourself otherwise. Rankers are worsr, no question, but Celtic F.C. need & want them,
    even if some of their fans don't.
    Destroying Scottish footie since 1690 ( okay, wee exaggeration ).

Quote Originally Posted by Malthibby View Post
    Two sides of the same coin, please don't ever kid yourself otherwise. Rankers are worsr, no question, but Celtic F.C. need & want them,
    even if some of their fans don't.
    Destroying Scottish footie since 1690 ( okay, wee exaggeration ).
    Two cheeks of the same erse !!

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    As long as folk let themselves get offended by songs sung by Rangers, they will continue to do so with even more gusto and take satisfaction in the knowledge that they are getting a reaction.
    It doesn't personally bother me that much, it's just background noise to me.
    All it takes for evil to survive is for good people to do nothing.
    ​#PERSEVERED

@hibs.net private member GreenLake's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantis Toboggan View Post
    The classic joke. What do you call a hun in a suit?
    The defendant.
    With cheap suits I saw them wearing at the cup final last year, I would call them a fire hazard.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Last time I looked the mid 70's were just over 40 years ago and I also mentioned until well into the 80's. That is also why I asked if the gadj that posted was around in those days.

Much as I have to admit enjoying a rebel song and generally decrying the whole dirty orange ******* thing back in those days, I am also glad that these songs are no longer sung.

It is a mark of progress, although I would also say that I and many others I knew had no interest or supoort for the IRA, buy we still belted out the songs, especially against the Hun. We were young, daft and very tribal. To be fair society has moved on a bit and just as commissioning Love thy Neighbour for the telly is no longer acceptable, so is singing certain types of song at the football.
    Good post, I am old enough to say I recognise all of this from that era, but its certainly a rarity amongst the Hibs support now.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post
    Good post, I am old enough to say I recognise all of this from that era, but its certainly a rarity amongst the Hibs support now.
    Agreed. The post is spot on.

In fact, in my case "back in the day" I sometimes went with some of my Yam mates to their game (couldn't afford to travel back then) and happily joined in singing to their songbook ... It just wasn't seen as being as bad as it is now.

Thank God for progress.

Edit. I think I'm trying to say I just didn't see any issue either way back then so it didn't bother me what I was singing... As long as we were enjoying ourselves!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Just Alf; 23-04-2017 at 07:17 PM.

@hibs.net private member Mantis Toboggan's Avatar

Im not saying i want us to sing those songs.
    Their fans support good causes and in my experience are pretty sound.
    I cant say the same of rangers.

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Clash View Post
    Coz the Currant Buns are a million times worse. Simple really!
    There as bad as each other. 2 cheeks of the same arse.

Im not saying i want us to sing those songs.
    Their fans support good causes and in my experience are pretty sound.
    I cant say the same of rangers.
    Rangers do their bit for charity as well.

Celtic and Rangers are both disgusting organisations and we would be better off without the pair of them.

I remember some of that rubbish in the 70's but for the life of me I can't recall any in the 80's. Even if it was about 40 years ago, that is around 1 third of the time Hibs have been in existence and surely can't count as recent history.

Are they though?
    I dont see much to support that.
    We have a lot in common with them whether you like it or not.

Nowadays the only similarity is the colour we play in. That's it. We've moved on while they're rightly compared to their chums bringing hate and bile back here.

It really gets under my skin when people think we have anything in common.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Are they though?
    I dont see much to support that.
    We have a lot in common with them whether you like it or not.
    The day that Hibs have any more than the colour green in common with that club is the day I stop going to ER. They are only beaten in the ****bag stakes by rangers. If you are alluding to both clubs charitable works well we seem to be able to do it without feeling the need to tell everyone. And rangers have a charity as well so they are hardly unique there either. I detest everything about both of those clubs

Rangers do their bit for charity as well.

Celtic and Rangers are both disgusting organisations and we would be better off without the pair of them.
    There is a lot of celtic slating here but i asked for evidence. Does anyone have any?

There is a lot of celtic slating here but i asked for evidence. Does anyone have any?
    Shan Celtc banner nonwithstanding

Sevconians are the most ****miest, bigoted knuckle draggers in British football bar none.

the 70s and 80s were not 20 years ago

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    Mate, the aches and pains In the joints make sure I do!😂

Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    Mate, the aches and pains In the joints make sure I do!😂
    Tell me about it buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Ingram View Post
    There as bad as each other. 2 cheeks of the same arse.
    Serious question: to the folk out there using the 'two cheeks ...' thing. Have you ever gone to a sevco pub/club before a game at Hampden?

I've been to plenty of Celtic venues over last 30 years and we have always been treated fine - without exception. Perhaps some of our 'two cheeks' persuasion can vouch that the blue cheek mob are just as friendly when we walk in to one of their gaffs with our 'Erin Go Bragh' flags?

@hibs.net private member barcahibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Clash View Post
    Serious question: to the folk out there using the 'two cheeks ...' thing. Have you ever gone to a sevco pub/club before a game at Hampden?

I've been to plenty of Celtic venues over last 30 years and we have always been treated fine - without exception. Perhaps some of our 'two cheeks' persuasion can vouch that the blue cheek mob are just as friendly when we walk in to one of their gaffs with our 'Erin Go Bragh' flags?
    So because their particular brand of bigotry suits us that makes it ok?

There used to be a smart green and black union jack flag at a lot of our games - would the Hibs fans carrying it get as warm a welcome?

Bigotry is bigotry, whether it personally affects us or not. Theres all sorts of forms of bigotry out there that don't personally affect me, that doesnt mean i dont stand up against it.

Extreme example (and not aimed at you personally) but do as a white person should I ignore racism because I would be welcome in a "whites" only club?

celtc fans may choose to patronisingly view us as their little cousins in arms from the East but they can shove it IMO.

I've known both celtc and zombie fans who've been good guys in normal conversation but I've never met anyone from either side you can have a sensible conversation about football with. Each side as poisonous and deluded as the other.