hibs.net Messageboard

Left by mutual consent!

That run and cross from Martin Boyle...

...was a thing of beauty. It was no hit and hope cross either as you see him take a look up before he delivers it.

For me Boyle has been a very good signing for Hibs and a lot has been asked of him in the wide role, especially since Humphrey lasted only a handful of games before being out injured for the last two months. He may not produce runs and deliveries like yesterday's on a weekly basis but then if he did he'd be playing for a far bigger club than Hibs. Overall, I feel his pace, commitment and occasional goal contributions are valuable enough to merit a longer contract.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Young lad, improving all the time and pace is such an important ingredient in modern football.

Looking forward to see .how he does next season.

I'm not convinced that Boyle can be a regular starter for a Hibs team challenging for second, but he is a good option to have as a squad player for 15/20 minutes off the bench or for a few games so I want him to sign a new deal.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member Green Man's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheMightyJag PSN ID: FiveOClockHero
    I'd like to see Boyle staying with us, I think he's improved a lot this season. It was a brilliant cross yesterday and it's not the first time he's done it. He's also good at running at defenders from out wide and he's not afraid to have a shot when he gets into the box.

@hibs.net private member
    We spoke about Harris as he came through and we thought he'd make it ( and as God is my judge I hope he does ) and with the injury and Butcher as coach he seems to have stagnated. However Boyle in my eyes has improved this season and needs to keep Progressing which I believe he can under a good coach. I'm a firm believer in speed in a team and Boyle offers this which will give defenders a horrid time.

May be a bit out the box but I'd offer Boyle for the rest of the season a free roll to run and play where he wants. By that I mean behind the front two, out wide and to cut in if and when he wants. Let him run at players as he sees fit and if he can find a channel that he can exploit for pace etc then allow him to exploit it.
    Yesterday was a fine example for our second goal we walked it through their centre halfs with such ease that makes Me think if Boyle had ran at them with the ball i believe we would have got a few free kicks around the box. I think Martin can be a big player for us next season with teams in league above more inclined to come Forward leaving space for him to exploit.

GGTTH

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...was a thing of beauty. It was no hit and hope cross either as you see him take a look up before he delivers it.

For me Boyle has been a very good signing for Hibs and a lot has been asked of him in the wide role, especially since Humphrey lasted only a handful of games before being out injured for the last two months. He may not produce runs and deliveries like yesterday's on a weekly basis but then if he did he'd be playing for a far bigger club than Hibs. Overall, I feel his pace, commitment and occasional goal contributions are valuable enough to merit a longer contract.
    How come Hibs got Crunchie? Don't get all this we're not worthy talk. Money talks but we've been fortunate to attract and keep talent over the years. Let's not give up now.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post

Agreed. He has been excellent in the bigger games over last couple of seasons, particularly derbies. He will get more space next year if teams come at us a bit more, and also he can get back quickly to help defensively.

He is the type of player that can change a game with his pace alone, we would be crazy not to try to hold on to him.

Don't get the criticism of Martin Boyle, yes he can frustrate but very often he has the beating of his man and when his final product is on form he is a very good winger who would be a nightmare for a full back to play against. Looking forward to seeing him against Prem teams consistently next season.

@hibs.net private member
    I'd like to see him stay but he needs to be doing that every game. Generally his delivery is very poor but in the Championship he gets 4/5 opportunities per game. That won't be the case next season and we'll need to be much more clinical

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    I really like him, the one player we have in the team with real pace. I think he's had a good season and I think I'm right in saying he is our 2nd highest scorer. Still needs to work on his delivery and decision making but he's still quite young and can hopefully improve. I'd be disappointed if he wasn't with us next season.

@hibs.net private member
    He has certainly improved this year and has been an important player for us. Can be frustrating and I think he is a good way behind Haynes at Aberdeen. Hope he continues to improve and has age on his side but I would still like Lennon to sign a couple of wide men and keep Squirrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    I'm not convinced that Boyle can be a regular starter for a Hibs team challenging for second, but he is a good option to have as a squad player for 15/20 minutes off the bench or for a few games so I want him to sign a new deal.
    I really like Boyle, he's frustrating at time because he has the pace but sometimes his final ball is bad but he's a good player. A good player to bring on in the last quarter or so, adds pace which can be a nightmare for tired defenders.

Really hope we keep Boyle.

He's technically inconsistent, manages to look like a baller and a donkey within a 10 minute spell.

Having said that, I really like him. Consistently threatens the opposition and is often our most effective out ball. Hope he stays and continues to improve, one of our best performers this year IMO.

Lennon obviously likes Boyle and has spent time coaching him and getting him to use his pace in wide positions. It's paid off- he's a much more focused and improving player who is growing in confidence. I think he's shown the correct attitude and hunger to justify being here next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Vault Boy View Post
    He's technically inconsistent, manages to look like a baller and a donkey within a 10 minute spell. .
    10 minute spell? It can be as little as a 10 second spell with Boyler.

Don't get me wrong, I like him. He's a tryer. Not sure inconsistent is the right word to describe his play.. I prefer to say unpredictable. Which is a great attribute to have because nobody knows what he's going to do next. Sometimes it's great. Other times hour head is in your hands with frustration.

@hibs.net private member Mantis Toboggan's Avatar
    Boyle is raw but has the one thing you cant teach someone. He has to stay. Was also immense in the Hearts replay.

Really like him

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    I'd like to see him stay but he needs to be doing that every game. Generally his delivery is very poor but in the Championship he gets 4/5 opportunities per game. That won't be the case next season and we'll need to be much more clinical

Even the best wingers and strikers blow hot and cold. Sometimes they are marked out of the game - then it's up to others to exploit spaces that open up elsewhere on the pitch.

Boyle reminds me so much of Sproule - technically not the best but pace to burn and an effective weapon.

Hope he stays.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by hibby6270 View Post
    10 minute spell? It can be as little as a 10 second spell with Boyler.

Don't get me wrong, I like him. He's a tryer. Not sure inconsistent is the right word to describe his play.. I prefer to say unpredictable. Which is a great attribute to have because nobody knows what he's going to do next. Sometimes it's great. Other times hour head is in your hands with frustration.
    Might be a new definition of Boyle's Law

GGTTH

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Going against the grain here. I think Championship is his level. A good squad player next year. Impact off the bench

@hibs.net private member Mantis Toboggan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by southern hibby View Post
    Might be a new definition of Boyle's Law

GGTTH
    Love it. The lack of chemistry puns recently has been disappointing

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    I like Martin Boyle and he offers a threat. Despite his fantastic cross for the goal yesterday he just needs to work a little more on his end product and Im sure we'll have a decent player.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis Toboggan View Post
    Love it. The lack of chemistry puns recently has been disappointing
    Periodically hes been good but he was in his element when he scored that volley against Livingston. Plus he is a pace burner according to some on here.

Better?

Think Boyle still has a lot of potential and pace is always a big attribute to have in football.

Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    Going against the grain here. I think Championship is his level. A good squad player next year. Impact off the bench
    If he can do that run and cross against the second team in Scotland in a national Semi Final then why is he Championship level? He has the ability. He just needs coached, encouraged and the right service. More likely to create chances when we're counter attacking rather than dominating.

According to one paper Lennon was constantly urging Boyle to take the full back on.Has a confidence issue I think.

He's got pace, great 1st touch and can go past people. I think he's finally getting it and if he gets offered and accepts a new deal, I think we might see a big improvement next season. I think it's a lot to do with confidence for Boyle.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by houstonhibbee View Post
    If he can do that run and cross against the second team in Scotland in a national Semi Final then why is he Championship level? He has the ability. He just needs coached, encouraged and the right service. More likely to create chances when we're counter attacking rather than dominating.
    He's rarely done it at Championship level and IMO he's been about average most of the season. Could be down to opposition compact defences to be fair. Time might tell if he gets more space.