hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Views on Lennon

Winner. FACT.

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A lot of our previous managers wouldn't have made such a big sub so early on and basically admit their mistake. This speaks volumes.
    this

Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    Not convinced. The standard of football needs to be significantly better next season or we will be down the bottom trying to scrap away from the play offs
    Bye then 👋👋

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisski33 View Post
    Sorry Stubbs failed to get us promoted twice and Lennon had done so at first time of asking. I think we will do better next season under Lennon and better in the spl than we would have under stubbs.
    exactly, people keep going on about rangers being in the league but that was one of the worst rangers sides anyone has seen and we still couldnt finish above them, and then we couldnt get past falkirk in the play offs, yes stubbs won us the cup but failed in the league, lennon has done it at first time of asking

People that argue that sometimes he has winning ugly.isn't that what Alot of fans have cried out for years?winnings what matters at the end of the day sometimes we will win playing great football(utd game etc.)and other times we will have to grind out boring 1-0 wins.I like the fact we can do a bit of both at times.especially as the squad is a work in progress.

Quote Originally Posted by superhibi1 View Post
    exactly, people keep going on about rangers being in the league but that was one of the worst rangers sides anyone has seen and we still couldnt finish above them, and then we couldnt get past falkirk in the play offs, yes stubbs won us the cup but failed in the league, lennon has done it at first time of asking
    Couldn't agree more Stubbs will always rightly be a legend for winning the cup but come on he failed miserably twice to get us promoted. 1st season down that Rangers were every bit as weak and poor as Dundee Utd have been this season. And we lost to them in play offs. Last season we couldn't even finish above Falkirk with a team that contained Stokes and Hendo. Then we lost to them in play offs. Stubbs bottled it and left as he clearly didn't fancy a 3rd crack at trying to get us up....I love the big man but he made a poor decision last season and now has no job as a consequence of that poor decision. There is no guarantee Stubbs would have got us up this season...his poor record against the likes of Falkirk, Dumbarton and Alloa in his 2 seasons in charge are proof of that. Lennon has done the job...at his first time of asking

His comments about the usual boyband and players not taking responsibility ect are out of order IMO.

This current Hibs team give everyone for the club and they deserve better than to be publicity slated by their manager after a narrow cup defeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    I'd question to what extent any manager can do that.
    Precisely this. 9 months is a very short time to change the entire psychology of any group of people. As it stands, though, there are big signs that he's done just that. We've managed to gain promotion, for a start.

Laughing at all this "winners attitude" nonsense. We are scraping by with a 50% win rate in the Championship and only looked like winning it due to the other teams being utter dross and not pushing us enough. We could finish with less points than last season and people still think we have improved

I'm content for him to stay next season but if we could get Stubbs or Alex Neil I would absolutely take them over Lennon.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    His comments about the usual boyband and players not taking responsibility ect are out of order IMO.

This current Hibs team give everyone for the club and they deserve better than to be publicity slated by their manager after a narrow cup defeat.
    This thought his comments were very harsh.

Next season will be the time to judge him. Although Stubbs failed twice, with no Hearts or Rangers this year, we would have needed to be horrendously bad not to have won the Championship this year.

We are now in a league that we should be in and we should be aiming for the top 4 (I don't buy this top 6 target).

I am happy that he wasn't pleased with the opening 30 minutes of yesterday's game because it was embarrassing but at least he had the proactive approach to change it early.

I will reserve judgement until we have played a significant part of next season. We need improvements to the squad and it will be interesting to see who is brought in over the season.

Jury is still considering its verdict for me.

@hibs.net private member & Biggest, Funniest Slaver on hibs.net 2012 Pedantic_Hibee's Avatar
    I think that WE are lucky to have him. And with the support that's been shown the past three years or so, he is lucky to have us to.

I'm buzzing for next season.
    "Play for the name on the front of the jersey and the supporters will remember the name on the back"

Left by mutual consent!
    Put it this way, who could we get that's better?

I was very excited when we landed Lennon. At first I didn't think that talk of him coming to Hibs was anything more than speculation because there's no question he's a 'big time' appointment having only recently enjoyed a successful few years as Celtic boss. I thought he was exactly the sort of guy we needed to get us out of the Championship.

With a lesser overall calibre of player to work with than he had in Glasgow I think he's still learning as a manager but will only be the stronger for it and I am quietly confident he can do well with Hibs in the top flight. On the evidence of our cup record against a number of the supposed 'top' teams in recent seasons we have nothing to fear next term and I don't think there's any question we'll kick off in August with a significantly stronger squad than the one we have at present.

No, the football's been far from pretty on too many occasions this season but in the end we've won the league comfortably and while some will quibble about how many draws we had the big difference is that we didn't lose any of those games. That, I think, is down to Lennon who has instilled a stronger mentality along the lines of 'if you're not playing well enough to win then make sure you don't lose.' Had we lost, say, three or four of those drawn games, the league would have been a lot tighter and there's no question that in recent seasons we would more than likely have lost several of those games. Draws can be frustrating but nothing like as dispiriting as a defeat and I thank Lennon that on only three occasions in the league this season has my mood been darkened by a defeat!

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Not sure what his contract is? Was it two with a year option? Anyway, the first target of winning the league is achieved. I would suggest that for next season a top six place would be a reasonable target. There is nothing to suggest that there is
    a gap between the expectations of LD and NL and he will be given the tools to do the job. As he has never been in charge of us in the SPL I can't know for certain if he is the right man but he has my vote.

Quote Originally Posted by NORTHERNHIBBY View Post
    Not sure what his contract is? Was it two with a year option? Anyway, the first target of winning the league is achieved. I would suggest that for next season a top six place would be a reasonable target. There is nothing to suggest that there is no gap between the expectations of LD and NL and he will be given the tools to do the job. As he has never been in charge of us in the SPL I can't know for certain if he is the right man but he has my vote.
    He signed a 2 year deal.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by guthrie01 View Post
    Laughing at all this "winners attitude" nonsense. We are scraping by with a 50% win rate in the Championship and only looked like winning it due to the other teams being utter dross and not pushing us enough. We could finish with less points than last season and people still think we have improved

I'm content for him to stay next season but if we could get Stubbs or Alex Neil I would absolutely take them over Lennon.
    Exactly. He's won us the league, not because we're better than last season, but because the other teams are worse. Yes, the gap between us and the likes of Falkirk has widened but that's because Falkirk are likely to pick up about 10 points less than they did last season, not because we've improved. We picked up more points in a much better league last season and the idea that you can claim we've got a winners mentality by winning 50% of our games in the 2nd tier with the 4th/5th biggest budget in the country just doesn't really make sense to me. Alan Stubbs won us the biggest prize we can ever realistically hope to win ever again, that's installing a winning mentality. Not winning the 2nd tier with a 50% win ratio due to other teams being significantly worse than previous seasons.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    I'd question to what extent any manager can do that.
    I tend to agree but most on here seem to think he has done it already and Lennon himself never stops banging on about it. From what I can see there was a huge lift in our "mentality" under Stubbs. I would argue he just signed better players and we got more confident because we were winning more often albeit against poorer opponents..

Stubbs couldn't work out how to break down packed defences neither has Lennon. Lennon has came in and he has went for let's make sure we don't get beat and let's play it long to much the same end as Stubbs let's keep the ball and play some football often to little effect. Stubbs won more games and Lennon has drawn more and lost less. Not much in it for me in terms of who is the better manager and I think the best approach is probably somewhere in the middle with a manager who praises when its needed and chasticed when he thinks it will get a positive result. A manager who can mix the style to suit the opponent but also has a good eye for a player.

Lenny. Top man. Great having him at ER.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Exactly. He's won us the league, not because we're better than last season, but because the other teams are worse. Yes, the gap between us and the likes of Falkirk has widened but that's because Falkirk are likely to pick up about 10 points less than they did last season, not because we've improved. We picked up more points in a much better league last season and the idea that you can claim we've got a winners mentality by winning 50% of our games in the 2nd tier with the 4th/5th biggest budget in the country just doesn't really make sense to me. Alan Stubbs won us the biggest prize we can ever realistically hope to win ever again, that's installing a winning mentality. Not winning the 2nd tier with a 50% win ratio due to other teams being significantly worse than previous seasons.
    Maybe Falkirk will have 10 points less this season because the other teams are better?

For me Lennon's shown enough to convince me that he's the right man to take us forward.

His man management looks spot on. He's more flexible tactically than Stubbs. Sometimes our tactics don't work, but that's the same for everyone - other teams have tactics too.

And the winning mentality thing counts for everything. It'd be easy to take the foot off the pedal now that the league is won and we're out the cup, but that's obviously not Lennon's mindset. He wants 100% from the players every minute they're on the pitch. He appears to be able to make allowances for players who are tiring or carrying an injury, but pounces on any lack of concentration or application. This is spot on and hugely important IMO.

The guys a winner

U don't like him much do u mate?? Stubbs was arguably a cup final win away from getting his jotters last season...he clearly never wanted to hang around for a 3rd crack at getting us up. Personally I love the big man but he wasn't without his flaws and I don't think it's certain he would have got us up this year - he clearly didn't either. IMO he should have stayed till he got us up but he bottled it and ran to Rotherham.

Lennon has got us up with a weaker squad...yes no huns this year but the championship has been more competitive this year than the last 2 - that's why Falkirk have less points etc. Anyway I don't care how many points we end up with we r up - something stubbs failed at twice

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Boop View Post
    This thought his comments were very harsh.
    Aye lets not blame the players eh? The two goals we lost were down to the players.
    The fact weve got promoted and folk still wanna moan about iur manager? Jeez some folk are never happy. Dont Hibs would have got promoted if wasnt for Lennon and dont think we would have got a better manager comparing last season to now is pointless as some are. We are promoted time ro look forward and im certain Lennon will prosper with Hibs next season GGTTH!

That was last season. Stubbs still failed to get us promoted- FACT!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisski33 View Post
    Aye lets not blame the players eh? The two goals we lost were down to the players.
    The fact weve got promoted and folk still wanna moan about iur manager? Jeez some folk are never happy. Dont Hibs would have got promoted if wasnt for Lennon and dont think we would have got a better manager comparing last season to now is pointless as some are. We are promoted time ro look forward and im certain Lennon will prosper with Hibs next season GGTTH!
    Exactly mate this points total argument is fruitless...lennon got us up as champions and stubbs failed twice...end of argument imo

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    We will see just how much a winner he is next season.

I love virtually everything he says, because its mostly what we are all thinking, but he's hardly made us better although did get us up which is great.

He will be judged properly next season, i hope he succeeds and he has us punching our weight.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes
    He's not done anything to convince me that he's as good as some people on here make out.

A big factor in us winning the league is the fact that the other teams have picked up a lot less points than previous seasons.

His signings have been poor to average, Marciano probably being the only major success out his signings from the summer. Commons and Ambrose worked out well but for me Holt, Graham, Shinnie and Humphrey have not offered enough.

He's not got nearly as much out of McGinn as Stubbs did and he inexplicably dropped our only goalscorer for nearly two months.

People keep saying he's brought a winning mentality into the team, and while you can possibly argue that seeing as we've won the league, we would have won it under Stubbs IMO and on a game by game basis he's won a lot less than Alan Stubbs did and will most likely end up with less points than we did under Stubbs. We don't have Hearts and Rangers, or just Rangers to contend with 4 times this season, so I reckon to have picked up less points than the previous two seasons is very poor.

I think people are drawn in by the fact he's a lot more critical of the team in public than Alan Stubbs was and think that he is a lot less accepting of poor performances, but to me, I very much doubt Stubbs would have accepted the majority of performances this season, he just wouldn't have blasted the players over and over again in public.

In summary, yes we've won the league, he's done the minimum expected of him and we had a decent defence of the cup, but I've enjoyed this season - derby aside - a lot less than last season under Stubbs (and that's not including winning the Holy Grail).

Happy enough for him to carry on, wouldn't really bat an eyelid if he moved on and if I was offered Alan Stubbs back for next season I'd take him.
    You can only win the league you are in, there is little point co paring it to previous seasons. Even in those previous seasons our record against hearts and rangers were good and they weren't the reason we didn't get promoted it was against the lesser teams that you give Lennon no credit for winning a league full of them.

We finished third last year behind Falkirk, we barely strengthened the squad at all and we have won the league with weeks to spare.

You don't have to love the manager but he's made us hard to beat and got the job done something Alan Stubbs could not achieve in two seasons.

Lennon is a good manager and hopefully he can bring in some better players this summer as my main issue is hat his recruitment hasn't been great at all, to me it looked like a very restricted budget he was working with so that hopefully changes a bit this summer.

The standard in the SPL outwith the top few is no different from most of the teams in the championship.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    sorry but your posts are getting worse

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Maybe Falkirk will have 10 points less this season because the other teams are better?

For me Lennon's shown enough to convince me that he's the right man to take us forward.

His man management looks spot on. He's more flexible tactically than Stubbs. Sometimes our tactics don't work, but that's the same for everyone - other teams have tactics too.

And the winning mentality thing counts for everything. It'd be easy to take the foot off the pedal now that the league is won and we're out the cup, but that's obviously not Lennon's mindset. He wants 100% from the players every minute they're on the pitch. He appears to be able to make allowances for players who are tiring or carrying an injury, but pounces on any lack of concentration or application. This is spot on and hugely important IMO.
    Have Hibs not taken precisely 10 points from Falkirk this season?

Quote Originally Posted by houstonhibbee View Post
    Now that we have won the Championship and bowed out in unfortunate circumstances at the penultimate stage of the Scottish Cup what are folks views on our manager?

I for one was not convinced that he had the tactical acumen to make us successful however all things considered and taking into account his obvious desire, ambition and hurt at todays first 30 minute showing I feel in no doubt that he is the right man and feel very excited about next season with him at the helm. if he can convince the players they can be second or even put up a challenge to Celtic then its only the fans that need convinced

The fact we will have record season ticket sales s a great start! Long may it continue.
    I don't think we really could have or get anyone as good, think he will prove to be a great manager for us!

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrekko View Post
    Virtuallly every big game we have his 'tactics' seem spot on although never having been a coach I can't say why. I'm also not privvy, like every other fan as to exactly what is said in the dressing room.

We had a disastrous 30 minutes yesterday which was down to player errors but otherwise the team has done exactly what's needed of them when it mattered. The football we play against teams who park the bus is irrelevant- nobody looks great in those circumstances. The football we played v Brondby, Dundee United, Hearts, Falkirk and for most of yesterday was absolutely fine. Lennon is an excellent manager.
    Couldn't have put it any better myself . Ok Stubbs side played some nice football but where did it get us in the league . NL will now be judged on what we do in the league next season.Lrts get behind him and see where he takes us