hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Views on Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't believe for one second that Lennon is a cautious manager by nature. Yes, he definitely put out a 'don't lose' team at Tynecastle, but look at how he approached Dundee Utd at home in January when we beat them 3-0 to go four points clear (and when a draw wouldn't have been a bad result). Or the Hearts replay at ER.

He definitely got a bit more pragmatic as the league went on, but I think that was a combination of injuries to key players, and draws being enough for us as the prize drew nearer. Undoubtedly he can make a team defensively sound, and I'm happy for him to build from that - but I believe that we will be more expansive and creative way more often next season.

Of course, I may well be wrong. There's no doubt that the number of draws has surprised me, and it hasn't always been good to watch. Definitely take your point about winning more and losing more being better than all those draws - but not losing many games is a good habit to get in to.
    If we can keep McGregor, Gray, Stevenson and Marciano then we have a platform to build on at the back.

If Lennon can sign equivalent quality further up the park then we'll play better football and win more games, so we'll both be delighted with him.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    If we can keep McGregor, Gray, Stevenson and Marciano then we have a platform to build on at the back.

If Lennon can sign equivalent quality further up the park then we'll play better football and win more games, so we'll both be delighted with him.
    I would doubt if Marciano will be staying to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by guthrie01 View Post
    You say Stubbs was 1 game away from getting the sack but he was also a game away from winning a cup double which would be one of the biggest achievements in our history. Stubbs had a winning mentality which people seem to want to ignore.

I thought this thread was about being allowed to post our opinions and rate our manager. Everytime someone posts something even remotely negatively about Lennon people jump at the chance to slate them.
    i like Lennon as a person and was delighted when he was apppoonted thinking we would win a lot more games than Stubbs and bring in more quality signings. He has only won us this the league nothing else. And this league is undeniably worse, been to every home game and most away, apart from a handful of games not once did I think the teams where that great.
    What else did you expect us to win? We've only won three cups in 26 years.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisski33 View Post
    Im sure its not! Keep talking nonsense. Wee baws lol bet that took you a long time to think that one up!once youve re read ur posts ull realise youve posted aload of tosh!
    Your posts are painful to read to the point I can't even be arsed to look at them anymore pal. The text speak is chronic. We'll agree to disagree.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    But if you showed a bit more ambition and went to win them then they wouldn't be able to close the gap at all. In this league with the players and budget that we have, it shouldn't have been a lot to ask for us to win more than half our games. This has been my issue this season. We've been lucky in that when we've drawn so many games, most of the teams around us have failed to capitalise by drawing or getting beat themselves.
    The main thing near the end of the season was not to lose the games against Morton/United/Falkirk we won 2 and drew 2 which confirmed our lead and served us well.

Your posts are painful to read to the point I can't even be arsed to look at them anymore pal. The text speak is chronic. We'll agree to disagree.
    Your posts are dire and long winded and negative. Thankfully i find them funny and aload of rubbish like others have pointed out. Nothing wrong with text chat on here its a forum and im straight to the point unlike yours which are negative and have no real point

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    He's done ok but still to be convinced.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Lennon is an artist.

In that he's very good at drawing.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

He was asked to get us promotion. Job done.
    Looking forward to the big league.

A winner who won't accept slackers and will push us on to where we deserve to be. No more of this punching below our weight.

Can't wait.

He could chill out a bit sometimes though. I'd hate to be his cat.

I'm more pointing out that the league IMO is not the standard it was last year and yet we've got less points, which would suggest we're not of the standard that we were last year either - to me anyway. That's my only issue with the way this season has went. I'm glad we've won the league and gained promotion, but I do worry that it's possibly papering over some cracks and that we're not as equipped to go up as we would have been this time last year based on our actual points total over the season, rather than our league placing. A team that wins the league with with 100 points is a great side (relative to the league they're playing in of course) if a team manages to win it with 55 they're probably not that great a side, just lucky that the rest of the league took enough points off each other to make that total enough. I realise they two totals are extremes, but our points total is nowhere near where it should be with the players and budget at our disposal and is the reason I'm not 100% convinced by him.
    What and winning the Scottish cup wasnt papering over the cracks considering we failed twice to get promoted.😂

Quote Originally Posted by pacoluna View Post
    What and winning the Scottish cup wasnt papering over the cracks considering we failed twice to get promoted.��
    It did paper over some cracks last season, no doubt about that. However I still believe we were a stronger side last season and better equipped for promotion had we got it. Our points total in a stronger league would back that up, as would the fact we won the biggest competition in Scotland that any side other than Celtic can realistically hope to win.

It did paper over some cracks last season, no doubt about that. However I still believe we were a stronger side last season and better equipped for promotion had we got it. Our points total in a stronger league would back that up, as would the fact we won the biggest competition in Scotland that any side other than Celtic can realistically hope to win.
    Bit of a moot point though calum. were now promoted and can look forward to strengthening the squad and hopefully have better performances next season. Onwards and upwards. We have Lennon as our manager so lets get behind him. He is giving us his all.

Quote Originally Posted by houstonhibbee View Post
    Bit of a moot point though calum. were now promoted and can look forward to strengthening the squad and hopefully have better performances next season. Onwards and upwards. We have Lennon as our manager so lets get behind him. He is giving us his all.
    I am behind him, I hope we go on to have a great season next year and that he strengthens the squad with some great signings. My previous post however, is my logic for still not being 100% convinced that he's the manager some people think he is. My main reservation being that he's not been able to work out a way to turn a ludicrous 13 draws (so far) into at least a few more wins.

I am behind him, I hope we go on to have a great season next year and that he strengthens the squad with some great signings. My previous post however, is my logic for still not being 100% convinced that he's the manager some people think he is. My main reservation being that he's not been able to work out a way to turn a ludicrous 13 draws (so far) into at least a few more wins.
    I agree and share your frustration - but we can't have everything, right? We have what we have. Enjoy the summer and lets hope for an exciting season ahead.

I'm more pointing out that the league IMO is not the standard it was last year and yet we've got less points, which would suggest we're not of the standard that we were last year either - to me anyway. That's my only issue with the way this season has went. I'm glad we've won the league and gained promotion, but I do worry that it's possibly papering over some cracks and that we're not as equipped to go up as we would have been this time last year based on our actual points total over the season, rather than our league placing. A team that wins the league with with 100 points is a great side (relative to the league they're playing in of course) if a team manages to win it with 55 they're probably not that great a side, just lucky that the rest of the league took enough points off each other to make that total enough. I realise they two totals are extremes, but our points total is nowhere near where it should be with the players and budget at our disposal and is the reason I'm not 100% convinced by him.
    We won the league that's all that matters your posts are becoming pointless mate in what to be frank is a pointless argument. We go up as champions and that was the target at start of season. Frankly I don't give a toss about points and comparisons to last 2 seasons in championship...both of which we fell.woefully short in terms of promotion

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I know they still pick up points, but we've drew 13 games this season. That's 13 points. With a bit more ambition we could have won say 5, lost 4 and still drew 4 and we would have picked up 19 points from they 13 games instead. Instead it feels like Lennons teams are set up to not lose as a priority and then we look to win the game. IMO Hibs teams setting up not to lose games for the second part of a season in the 2nd tier of Scottish football isn't really what I want to see.

Of course I'm happy we've won the league. Do I think we've been good this season over the piece however? Not particularly. That's why for me the jury is still out on Lennon. Note that I said the jury is still out, some folk on here seem to think that if you aren't thrilled to have him as manager that you actively want him out. I, and many others, are just undecided.
    We also lost 8 last season playing your preferred expansive football under Stubbsy...and twice to the might of Dumbarton and once to the already relegated alloa - seeing as your so obsessed with last season mate

Quote Originally Posted by Borderhibbie76 View Post
    We won the league that's all that matters your posts are becoming pointless mate in what to be frank is a pointless argument. We go up as champions and that was the target at start of season. Frankly I don't give a toss about points and comparisons to last 2 seasons in championship...both of which we fell.woefully short in terms of promotion

My posts are that pointless that you reply to them. I don't really care what your opinion of my posts are, thanks for letting me know though, I'll be sure to keep you in mind next time I write a post. As for it being a pointless argument, it's a thread called "views on Lennon". I've given my views and my reasons for holding them. Should it be changed to "Views on Lennon, just make sure that your views are 100% positive or borderhibbie will get upset?"

We also lost 8 last season playing your preferred expansive football under Stubbsy...and twice to the might of Dumbarton and once to the already relegated alloa - seeing as your so obsessed with last season mate

I'm fully aware of that, yet we also managed to pick up more points than we likely will this season in a stronger league. Which is my point that I've made all along.

I'm fully aware of that, yet we also managed to pick up more points than we likely will this season in a stronger league. Which is my point that I've made all along.
    OK mate u have made your point...over and over and over again...we get it !!

OK mate u have made your point...over and over and over again...we get it !!

I'm sure there's a function to hide my posts if it infuriates you that much pal, make use of it.

I'm sure there's a function to hide my posts if it infuriates you that much pal, make use of it.
    It's just a pointless argument mate...we won promotion this year the last 2 seasons we never...end of story!! Not infuriating at all...it's a mute argument

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Was it really a stronger league last year? Rangers were in it and romped it on the end, but stronger overall? Not sure. Rangers, Alloa and Livingston replaced by Dundee Utd, Dunfermline and Ayr.

Fabio Capello got sacked after winning the title for Real Madrid - mental. We will literally question anything. Early on in the season fans questioned whether he "got" hibs and if he was passionate about us. Now its whether he's good enough.

NL has us promoted, at the first time of asking. People say a weaker league and I'd agree but we've also had a weaker squad this season. Maybe NL told the board to save the cash for when we're back in the top flight cause he knew he'd get the job done?

Our form this season - agreed it's been a slog at times and grinding out results with too many draws. Let's not forget the criticisms pointed at Stubbsy particularly last season. Games against Dumbarton twice, Alloa, Morton all lost. Or games against Livi and the like where we've come from behind and won late on playing anything but attractive football.

Attractive football for me this season was, not quite irrelevant but not a priority imo. We got the job done mathematically at the beginning of April but if we're really serious the wins against DU and latterly Falkirk won us it.

In the big games Lennon has proved similar to Stubbs. Tactically astute and shown we can take the game to anyone.

I'm looking forward to next season with a decent manager leading us. Long may it continue.

We're not just a green and white army. We're Neil Lennon's green and white army!!

My only concern is the quality of lennons signings this season given he's on what he'd see as a shoestring budget compared to others he's had.

I think Lennon this season will demand a bigger kitty than we'd usually give and I just wonder if we don't have it he'll toil

Otherwise I wouldn't swap him.. give him what he needs, this could be something special

Lennon is definitely the man for us, hes a guy who wont accept mediocrity, something that we have not had at Hibs for a long time, slackers will be gone, a new team will be shaped to the way he wants us to play. Lennon does not take crap from anyone, especially the press, we have a boss that knows the game, kicks ass and is high profile, this has put us on the map and IMO in line to where WE as a club should be heading and thats forward, onwards and upwards. Or would folk want us to be signing managers like Butcher again.
    I for one cannae wait for next season, we have the fan base, we have the manager, the core of the team are there and dare I say it, a bit of cash in the bank, BRING THEM ALL ON.
    Lets just hope we can keep hold of Lennon for a couple of seasons, he has the passion and the knowledge, I am hoping were onto something special here. Time will tell.
    Ah cannae wait until the next derby, Neil Lennons green and white army coming up against Cathros laptop marauders. They will be 5hitting themselves next year.