hibs.net Messageboard

Ryan Christie - cup tied?

See he was an unused sub for Celtic against Albion Rovers in an earlier round. Does that not make him Cup tied? (clutching at straws here!).

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by angus hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    See he was an unused sub for Celtic against Albion Rovers in an earlier round. Does that not make him Cup tied? (clutching at straws here!).
    Nope, he has to have played to make him cup tied.

I started and deleted a thread about this earlier. He was OK to play as he never played.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    I started and deleted a thread about this earlier. He was OK to play as he never played.
    I googled Scottish Cup Rules and what I got clearly says that if you played or are a 'named substitute' you are ineligible' and later on in the same document says the penalty for breaching this rule is expulsion.

Either the document I read has been superseded, or Christie WAS cup tied...as he was a named substitute for Celtic against Albion Rovers....

I'm off to read it again....

Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    I googled Scottish Cup Rules and what I got clearly says that if you played or are a 'named substitute' you are ineligible' and later on in the same document says the penalty for breaching this rule is expulsion.

Either the document I read has been superseded, or Christie WAS cup tied...as he was a named substitute for Celtic against Albion Rovers....

The rule was changed but the SFA do seem to make it difficult to find the most up to date one. As long as he didn't play he was fine and he didn't.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    We had the same situation last season with Stokes I'm sure.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Here's the updated rules from the 2016/17 handbook:

"The players in a team may be changed from match to match, but a club may not play, or list as a named substitute, any player who, in the same season, has already played (as one of the 11 first-named players or as a fielded substitute), for another club in the Competition. (Rule 34.1 (b) refers)." - Page 140, Paragraph 14

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/resource...%202016-17.pdf

Straw clutching of epic proportions

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    That's what I thought, BUT, I have checked as best I can on the net, and the couple of rules of the Scottish Cup I can find....no just the Wiki attachment.......clearly state that you are basically cup tied if you have been a 'named substitute' for another club in the same year's competition.

Either this has been amended....And I can't find it....or the SFA basically ignore their own rules...or......!

Be grateful if anyone can find the rules which state he can play.......but a warning, be careful as different cup competitions have different rules.

Back in January even he said he thought was cup tied when he moved to Aberdeen, but said it had been checked out and he was ok.....

I can't find the bit that says he's ok ......

Coaching Staff
    That's what I thought, BUT, I have checked as best I can on the net, and the couple of rules of the Scottish Cup I can find....no just the Wiki attachment.......clearly state that you are basically cup tied if you have been a 'named substitute' for another club in the same year's competition.

Either this has been amended....And I can't find it....or the SFA basically ignore their own rules...or......!

Be grateful if anyone can find the rules which state he can play.......but a warning, be careful as different cup competitions have different rules.

Back in January even he said he thought was cup tied when he moved to Aberdeen, but said it had been checked out and he was ok.....

I can't find the bit that says he's ok ......

Ignoreabove, posts crossed....recently changed....rules Inchecked obviously post 2016

@hibs.net private member Green Man's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheMightyJag PSN ID: FiveOClockHero
    I agree with the posts about it not being easy to find the up to date rules, I've been wrong about things before after referring to out of date rules. It's almost as if the SFA don't want their rules to be publicly available in case they need to make a quick change to suit their own agenda

@hibs.net private member SouthMoroccoStu's Avatar
    Even if he was cup tied no way in hell would the sfa kick a team out the final

Hearts fielded an ineligible player a couple of seasons ago and yet they faced no expulsion from the cup competition

Quote Originally Posted by SouthMoroccoStu View Post
    Even if he was cup tied no way in hell would the sfa kick a team out the final

Hearts fielded an ineligible player a couple of seasons ago and yet they faced no expulsion from the cup competition
    Did Dunfermline and Spartans not get booted out a few seasons back for this? Seem to remember paperwork not going through for someone

First Team Breakthrough
    Commentators said yesterday if it's Celtic in the final he can't play and Christie was asked about it in his interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Don think so but we actually had a situation last season when an unused sub for Hibs - Henri Anier, went on to play AGAINST us in the semi final.

What a downer. I was bouncing about when I saw the title to this thread.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Henri Anier was an unused sub for Hibs against Raith in last years Scottish Cup 4th round. He joined Dundee Utd later that month, and played for them against Hibs at Hampden in the semi final

I saw that same article last night after Marinello started a thread about it.

That's an old article because if you look at another part it shows players being 21 or younger being born after 1989.

If you go through the SFA website you'll see that the rule's been changed and you now need to play to be ineligible for another club.