hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The fact he had to make a first half sub suggests that he got the tactics wrong in the first place. He talks about taking responsibility in the first half - I give him credit for making the right change that got us back into the game - but he needs to take responsibility for his failings. All too often with him if we lose it's the players fault and if we win then it's all about what they "give him". His comment on Hibs TV of "There's people in the crowd who want us to play good football, I put the good footballers on to begin with" is cowardice and deflection.

We win as a team and lose as a team. There's elements of him that I like. I really, really wish that he'd control his outbursts and take responsibility for when he gets things wrong. It'd hugely change my views on him.
    Spot on👍 The first goal is just a horrendous catalogue of errors but the first 30 minutes was down to his formation. Against Hearts we played two wide men and two strikers and showed them no respect. We feared Aberdeen too much with that set up and Cummings upfront on his own gave us no outlet and meant we had to try and pass the ball out. Mcgeouch out on the left negated that as a way out and with Aberdeen pressing us high we were forced into making mistakes. Holt on upfront gave us an outlet as he half then ball up and suddenly we were in the game and our midfield and defenders were not so pressured. Lennon was not at fault for the first goal but his team selection and formation was all wrong and he was responsible for that. Anyway I think we should enough to give me hope for next season. Hanlon is a solid and reliable defender to come in and if we can strengthen the attacking side of the game then we can have a good season. Onwards and upwards. GGTTH

2. Log in to remove the advert

Aberdeen pace and intensity were a bit of a wake up call. But when we woke up and played they struggled themselves so we are not a million miles away.

We need to brining in half a dozen player who are better than what we have just now and retain McGregor, gray, Stevenson, Bartley and rocky.

Left by mutual consent!
    NL was right on wot he said. Boyle should have went down and at Rocky's header someone should have attacked the ball before it reached their keeper. Gutted but proud of my team. Being a Hibby is for life not just for finals.

Left by mutual consent!
    The first 30 minutes cost us the game - 2 ludicrous goals lost, players constantly being caught in possession, all our players being a bag of nerves. For a while I actually feared another record-breaking scoreline involving Hibs but they fought back and I'm proud of the qualities they showed in getting us back to 2-2 - after that we just didn't get the luck !

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan91 View Post
    First is awful defending, second is part luck and part Marciano not defending front post well enough.

Holt's goal is a great cross from Boyle, the Second is from a superb flick from Holt for Dylan.

Their 3rd takes a massive deflection and it just creeps inside the post as it spins away from Daz. Didn't look far off from being other side of post and a goal kick. Very lucky

Marciano was so close to scoring at the end, their keeper did well but if Marciano got a bit more direction on it, that would have been a goal.

Disappointed obviously, but it hides well for next season.

GGTTH
    Marciano not to blame for the free kick. He had set his wall up and has the right to expect that they would stand up to the free kick and not part like the Red Sea. That was the only reason the ball went in to that area of the goal.
    Had the ball went over or round the wall it could be argued that Marciano was in the best position to deal with it

@hibs.net private member ACLeith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RIP Bestie View Post
    Marciano not to blame for the free kick. He had set his wall up and has the right to expect that they would stand up to the free kick and not part like the Red Sea. That was the only reason the ball went in to that area of the goal.
    Had the ball went over or round the wall it could be argued that Marciano was in the best position to deal with it
    The ball went right through the wall, if Dylan had held position he would have blocked it. But with Hayes lurking near Christie understandable how he was caught in two minds. Situations like that you always need an extra defender, someone - Rocky, DG as captain or just anyone - should have seen that and reacted

Doesn't matter now. What does matter is how the sleeves got rolled up and we gave at least as good as we got fir the last hour of the game. The new players we bring in for next year will need to have that same attitude allied to their skills, I am sure NL will settle for nothing less.

Quote Originally Posted by Deansy View Post
    The first 30 minutes cost us the game - 2 ludicrous goals lost, players constantly being caught in possession, all our players being a bag of nerves. For a while I actually feared another record-breaking scoreline involving Hibs but they fought back and I'm proud of the qualities they showed in getting us back to 2-2 - after that we just didn't get the luck !
    After the second one went in, I turned round and said to my mum that it could easily end up 5 or 6-0 with the way things had gone in the opening 30 minutes. There was a massive gulf between the two sides, it was embarrassing.

After that, I thought we were the better side and deserved extra time as a minimum.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    After the second one went in, I turned round and said to my mum that it could easily end up 5 or 6-0 with the way things had gone in the opening 30 minutes. There was a massive gulf between the two sides, it was embarrassing.

After that, I thought we were the better side and deserved extra time as a minimum.
    Its a bitter pill to swallow!

The best part is no one remembers the losing semi finalists in years to come.

We've proved ourselves to be up for a fight, but need to learn to stop silly mistakes as it has cost us in other games this season!

Next season we have to start well in the Premiership and give ourselves a chance for a good season.

No other team will want us to do well, so its up to us to prove we are there for keeps!!!!

Watched it this morning. 3rd goal is just brutal, so so cruel but these things happen, not much we can do about it now.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    The fact he had to make a first half sub suggests that he got the tactics wrong in the first place. He talks about taking responsibility in the first half - I give him credit for making the right change that got us back into the game - but he needs to take responsibility for his failings. All too often with him if we lose it's the players fault and if we win then it's all about what they "give him". His comment on Hibs TV of "There's people in the crowd who want us to play good football, I put the good footballers on to begin with" is cowardice and deflection.

We win as a team and lose as a team. There's elements of him that I like. I really, really wish that he'd control his outbursts and take responsibility for when he gets things wrong. It'd hugely change my views on him.
    He has in the past taken responsibility eg. Raith away

Quote Originally Posted by 21.05.2016 View Post
    Watched it this morning. 3rd goal is just brutal, so so cruel but these things happen, not much we can do about it now.
    Indeed. It just shows that there are footballing gods and Aberdeen were just meant to go through.

They obviously wanted them to be the ones who will get thrashed by Celtic.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Was there a handball by the Aberdeen player in the lead up to the third goal right in front of the linesman?
    I'm sure the throw in they got right after that should have went to us as well

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ACLeith View Post
    The ball went right through the wall, if Dylan had held position he would have blocked it. But with Hayes lurking near Christie understandable how he was caught in two minds. Situations like that you always need an extra defender, someone - Rocky, DG as captain or just anyone - should have seen that and reacted

Doesn't matter now. What does matter is how the sleeves got rolled up and we gave at least as good as we got fir the last hour of the game. The new players we bring in for next year will need to have that same attitude allied to their skills, I am sure NL will settle for nothing less.
    Thats bad decision making from Dylan though. No way a man in a two man wall should be moving out of the wall to cover someone else. That should have been someone elses responsibility. Rocky made a mess of it but Dylan was equally to blame for me if we must play the blame game. Can chuck Fyvie into the equation too for giving the freekick away in the first place. We simply gave two very bad goals away in that first half hour we cant really deny that. Did a hell of a job to get back in it and then were simply very unlucky with the Dons winner.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by fife hfc View Post
    Spot on👍 The first goal is just a horrendous catalogue of errors but the first 30 minutes was down to his formation. Against Hearts we played two wide men and two strikers and showed them no respect. We feared Aberdeen too much with that set up and Cummings upfront on his own gave us no outlet and meant we had to try and pass the ball out. Mcgeouch out on the left negated that as a way out and with Aberdeen pressing us high we were forced into making mistakes. Holt on upfront gave us an outlet as he half then ball up and suddenly we were in the game and our midfield and defenders were not so pressured. Lennon was not at fault for the first goal but his team selection and formation was all wrong and he was responsible for that. Anyway I think we should enough to give me hope for next season. Hanlon is a solid and reliable defender to come in and if we can strengthen the attacking side of the game then we can have a good season. Onwards and upwards. GGTTH
    Nope. The horrendous 30 minutes was down to players not applying themselves properly, and not playing anywhere near their best. And they wil regret it in the coming weeks and months if they are not doing so already.

@hibs.net private member eastterrace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by leither17 View Post
    I'm sure the throw in they got right after that should have went to us as well
    Not sure about throw in but definite hand ball the whole south stand saw it and the linesman who was about 4 yards away how he never seen it. Ref couldn't see it due to the player body blocking his view

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Due to our bus breaking down we didn't get into the stadium until a couple of minutes after kick off .... I didn't realise we had even missed the kick off until I saw the scoreboard when I got to the east concourse .... I seriously thought it was a joke until someone confirmed they had scored in the first 15 seconds ..... the fact that I didn't hear a roar on the way up the steps says everything about the Aberdeen 'support'

Seen the first goal on TV this morning ... the whole game is available on BBC i player .... where do you begin? an absolute catalogue of errors and bad decision making, starting with McGinn, WTF was he trying to do? followed by McGregor who should just have been grateful Bartley had got us out of jail by winning the ball back and instead tried to be too clever.

The 2nd goal was just as bad, though I do feel a bit sorry for Rocky, he couldn't have expected the wall to part like the Red Sea the way it did.

It was however a fantastic fight back and we scored two excellent goals .... the Dons barely troubled us with chances of their own creation and the winning goal was too cruel for words .... like everybody else on the north side of the ground I saw the blatant handball in the build up to the winning goal, the linesman 10 yards away couldn't have failed to see it, its an absolute mystery why he didn't flag it up ...... bad enough we lost to a fluke goal without the officials giving Aberdeen a helping hand in the process.

I get why Lennon is so angry, our first half hour was a shambles ... what I don't like to see is him 'outing' individual players in the media, especially when its the likes of Darren McGregor who has been a rock for us this season, I highly doubt Darren needs telling he made a mess of things, that was caused by a bad decision, not laziness or a lack of effort. Slate the team if you like, slate an individual if he has a poor game due to a lack of effort or application, but not individuals for making a mistake, yes in the dressing room, but not in public because I cant see how its helpful.
    Last edited by NAE NOOKIE; 23-04-2017 at 04:38 PM.

@hibs.net private member ACLeith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    Thats bad decision making from Dylan though. No way a man in a two man wall should be moving out of the wall to cover someone else. That should have been someone elses responsibility. Rocky made a mess of it but Dylan was equally to blame for me if we must play the blame game. Can chuck Fyvie into the equation too for giving the freekick away in the first place. We simply gave two very bad goals away in that first half hour we cant really deny that. Did a hell of a job to get back in it and then were simply very unlucky with the Dons winner.
    I agree Dylan should not have moved, but I can understand a split-second decision when Hayes moved into acres of space.

Talking about the "blame game", I had someone behind me yesterday in the South who spent the first 30 minutes of the game continually - and I do mean continually! - moaning at everyone on the pitch e.g. slagging off SDG for letting Hayes run past him. Didn't seem to occur to her that the Dons midfield were pressing us so much that they were able to feed him the ball with space to use his blistering speed. Fortunately, she calmed down a bit after we scored, or else I might have been tempted to ask to "gie it a rest" and that would probably not have helped the situation

Quote Originally Posted by hibs0666 View Post
    Nope. The horrendous 30 minutes was down to players not applying themselves properly, and not playing anywhere near their best. And they wil regret it in the coming weeks and months if they are not doing so already.
    So how do you explain the massive improvement after 30 minutes? Did the players not take Aberdeen seriously until we were two down, or did the change in formation put the players in a position to play better?
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    So how do you explain the massive improvement after 30 minutes? Did the players not take Aberdeen seriously until we were two down, or did the change in formation put the players in a position to play better?
    So how do you explain McGregor playing it short to Ambrose? What did formation have to do with McGeough stepping out of the wall?

So how do you explain McGregor playing it short to Ambrose? What did formation have to do with McGeough stepping out of the wall?
    So other than those two individual errors our performance for the first 30 minutes was perfectly acceptable and if the rest of the game had continued in that manner we'd have gone through?
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    So other than those two individual errors our performance for the first 30 minutes was perfectly acceptable and if the rest of the game had continued in that manner we'd have gone through?
    We had a half hour of individuals that were way off the pace.

We had a half hour of individuals that were way off the pace.
    Followed by 60 minutes of those same players doing far better once the formation was changed.

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Ambrose yet. He had a howler of a game from the word go, something the Dons fans seemed to latch on to early on. His passing was awful and every time he got the ball seemed to dither then be forced into making a mis-pass. The others didn't help, giving him a few hospital passes which he couldn't deal with.

He did improve to a certain extent later, as did they all.

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Pointer View Post
    I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Ambrose yet. He had a howler of a game from the word go, something the Dons fans seemed to latch on to early on. His passing was awful and every time he got the ball seemed to dither then be forced into making a mis-pass. The others didn't help, giving him a few hospital passes which he couldn't deal with.

I was fuming with Ambrose yesterday but then I saw Lennon on tv saying he'd had an allergic reaction so that might explain his performance

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    First goal was terrible. McGinn caught in possession, shocking pass from McGregor and no real attempt to tackle Rooney from Ambrose.

Second I have to blame McGeouch. Not great from Rocky but you can understand him trusting the wall to do it's job.

Third was poor as well. McGinn and Bartley letting them run right through us and McGregor probably should've got a better block in.

Our goals were good though. Great run and cross from Boyle for the first. Brilliant play for the second from Holt and McGeouch.

Quote Originally Posted by The Pointer View Post

Ambrose was particularly bad in the first half yesterday.

It's a pity that yesterday was pretty much the only bad game he's had for us since he's come in.

He did improve in the second half though.