hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fyvie...

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar
    Like Fyvie but think Bartley will be a massive player for us next season. Would like to keep both but if had to pick one would defo be Bartley. Also 100% right decision for FF to come off today.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by supermcginn View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can be angry but not take 90 minutes of precious time to get off

90 minutes of precious time really ?
    Seemed to be about 60 seconds at most.

There is an unbelievable amount of guff on this thread

Our formation was clearly causing us problems and Lennon decided to move to a 4-4-2. Someone had to be sacrificed. IMO it was Fyvie purely because he'd been booked.

Funnily enough - if he'd taken off our poorest performer at that moment I reckon it would have been McGinn who barely found a green shirt with a pass all day!

Holt did well but it was our change of formation that made the biggest difference rather than the names of those who were switched.

FF is a proper footballer and I really hope he stays. All this comparing him and Bartley is ridiculous. They offer completely different things to the team and we need both. Marv was one of our best performers today though.

Full marks to the team as a whole today for fighting their way back despite few performing at the level they can.

Thought the midfield was shocking up until we changed it.

Really like Fraser as a player and feel we miss him when he doesn't play. If I'm honest some hibs fans will never take to him and is the go to player to call out when the TEAM under performs.

He'll pick his head up after a disappointing effort today cause that's the type of player he is. Never hides

Quote Originally Posted by GreenOnions View Post

Our formation was clearly causing us problems and Lennon decided to move to a 4-4-2. Someone had to be sacrificed. IMO it was Fyvie purely because he'd been booked.

Funnily enough - if he'd taken off our poorest performer at that moment I reckon it would have been McGinn who barely found a green shirt with a pass all day!

Holt did well but it was our change of formation that made the biggest difference rather than the names of those who were switched.

FF is a proper footballer and I really hope he stays. All this comparing him and Bartley is ridiculous. They offer completely different things to the team and we need both. Marv was one of our best performers today though.

Full marks to the team as a whole today for fighting their way back despite few performing at the level they can.
    Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by GreenOnions View Post

Elephant Stone
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by SON OF PADDY View Post
    Personally I think your post is disgraceful🤤
    Opinions eh !!!!
    How come?

The first half hour was brutal, Aberdeen were invited to do as they pleased and we offered absolutely no threat. The midfield was a joke: no shape, urgency, or desire to make themselves available for a pass. They looked a class below Aberdeen and I'm probably not the only person who was worried about a gulf in quality between Championship and Premiership teams at his point.
    Bartley, McGeouch and to a lesser extent McGinn all improved as the game went on but Fyvie was only on the park for that horrible half an hour and so his performance can surely fairly be described as terrible? Or did you think he was playing much better than the rest of the team at this point?

90 minutes of precious time really ?
    Seemed to be about 60 seconds at most.
    Obviously a typo but my point still stands

Quote Originally Posted by GreenNWhiteArmy View Post
    Thought the midfield was shocking up until we changed it.

Really like Fraser as a player and feel we miss him when he doesn't play. If I'm honest some hibs fans will never take to him and is the go to player to call out when the TEAM under performs.

He'll pick his head up after a disappointing effort today cause that's the type of player he is. Never hides
    For me it's fairly obvious that we don't play as well when he's not in the team. He also seems to get more out of McGinn particularly, he plays better when he's playing with Fyvie.

All you fyvie dislikers will be happy as I understand from a friend of a friend he's off.

Quote Originally Posted by Elephant Stone View Post
    How come?

The first half hour was brutal, Aberdeen were invited to do as they pleased and we offered absolutely no threat. The midfield was a joke: no shape, urgency, or desire to make themselves available for a pass. They looked a class below Aberdeen and I'm probably not the only person who was worried about a gulf in quality between Championship and Premiership teams at his point.
    Bartley, McGeouch and to a lesser extent McGinn all improved as the game went on but Fyvie was only on the park for that horrible half an hour and so his performance can surely fairly be described as terrible? Or did you think he was playing much better than the rest of the team at this point?

Your the one pointing the finger at FF " making out it was his fault " when it could have been anyone of them hooked, unfortunately for FF he had been booked so the manager sacrificed him.
    Opinions eh .....

Elephant Stone
    Left by mutual consent!
    Your the one pointing the finger at FF " making out it was his fault " when it could have been anyone of them hooked, unfortunately for FF he had been booked so the manager sacrificed him.
    Opinions eh .....
    I said that the same could have been said of many of the players at that point.

Overall though I'm not that keen on him. I don't think he's a bad player, and I have missed a lot of games this season (so maybe I've missed his better games) but from what I've seen I don't think he influences games as much as our other midfielders.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainstandman View Post
    All you fyvie dislikers will be happy as I understand from a friend of a friend he's off.

REALLY hope you are wrong. He is a good player-had a stinker today for the short time he was on pitch.....however, over the course of a season he offers a lot to the team. As has been said already, we play better with him in the team than when he isn't.

Are all the Fyvie dislikers meant to be feel all happy and justified in their criticism now?

He's been poor since the turn of the year. Sulked today when he was hooked but given the improvement it was clearly the right decision.

A decent player, but he'll be on a good wage and if we can use that to get a better balance in the squad then I'll be happy enough. The fact we started with four central midfielders today, three of whom hadn't scored a goal prior to McGeough scoring today, shows just how imbalanced our squad is imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Elephant Stone View Post
    I said that the same could have been said of many of the players at that point.

Overall though I'm not that keen on him. I don't think he's a bad player, and I have missed a lot of games this season (so maybe I've missed his better games) but from what I've seen I don't think he influences games as much as our other midfielders.

Fair enough! That's the beauty of opinions mate. 😁

I'll be honest as soon as he started walking off the pitch today, with Aberdeen fans jeering him, I got the feeling he'd be gone.

Hes clearly not happy with not playing most of the season and that will probably cement things for him

Quote Originally Posted by Hibee Mac View Post
    I'll be honest as soon as he started walking off the pitch today, with Aberdeen fans jeering him, I got the feeling he'd be gone.

Hes clearly not happy with not playing most of the season and that will probably cement things for him

Fyvie has played all season when fit apart from the last month or so. 26/44 games and he has missed 10ish through injury.

First Team Breakthrough 'mon the beers's Avatar
    What does he do well? Can't pass, doesn't challenge for a header, doesn't tackle. For a central midlfied player he doesn't have it. I know folk like him but break it down and tell us what he brings that Marv, Dylan, SJM brings us? Poor mans Marv imo

Quote Originally Posted by Franck Stanton View Post
    REALLY hope you are wrong. He is a good player-had a stinker today for the short time he was on pitch.....however, over the course of a season he offers a lot to the team. As has been said already, we play better with him in the team than when he isn't.
    Would be gutted if today was his last game. 😣😢

First Team Breakthrough
    He cant have been match fit. I like him and as far as today went subbed for a player who scored and set one up. Bartley coyld have been hooked but had a good second half so no complaints.

theres no hibs player that splits opinion like fyvie. He's not as bad as some make out but nowhere near as good as others like to think . he's pretty average , has the odd good game but nothing spectacular . the cup final was 1 of his better games and he is a legend for that but i dont think we'd have much trouble replacing him.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by supermcginn View Post
    Dunno what folk see in him, as soon as he went off we were brilliant
    Dont know what game you were watching but it was Holt coming on made the difference. Any player could have been sacrificed to change the formation. Would they also have been useless?
    Last edited by greenlex; 22-04-2017 at 07:23 PM.

Fyvie is the better all round player than Bartley, but it was the right decision to take him off today for two reasons. The first is that he'd been booked, and the second is that Bartley is the better defender which was what was required to give our full backs and other midfielders the freedom to go forward.

Whilst I'd like to keep Fyvie, it's patently obvious that our midfield doesn't work with him and Bartley together. We're going to need Bartley next season for the big games, so the question then is whether we keep Fyvie (probably one of our higher earners) to replace him against teams that want to sit in. I'm leaning towards him not signing a new deal, particularly after being taken off so early. It won't be any consolation to Fyvie that it was the right decision.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    No. As soon as Holt came on we were brilliant. Lennon said the lads threw Fyvie under the bus as someone had to go off.

Fyvie was excellent last week, he should not be getting the blame for today.

Bang average. And hid today when the going gets tough. thankfully him and his woeful attitude won't be here next season.

Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    Bang average. And hid today when the going gets tough. thankfully him and his woeful attitude won't be here next season.
    Fyvie was poor today but he never hid, his attitude has always been good.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

As he said during the week. Least he'll be sitting with his pals at the final.

It's been said umpteen times that Fyvie and Bartley can't play together and this was the case again today, after half an hour the majority of the team were rank but in the midfield Bartley was the one midfielder who looked like he was at least up for the battle.

At this point you have a choice of 2 players to sub for Holt, Barley or Fyvie and due to Bartley playing better Fyvie had to go off, no way was McGinn or Dylan being hooked as we needed their drive and directness to get the ball up to Holt and Cummings.

Fyvie hasn't been great for quite a while now apart from maybe last week, maybe the contract uncertainty has been playing on his mind.

Here's how I see it.

You play either Fyvie or Bartley. Fyvie is a control the midfield and pass it about type. Bartley is an enforcer.

Next year, I'd rather see hibs control games by passing the ball and controlling the midfield as opposed to knocking players off the ball. There's a time and the place for both but they type of football we should be playing calls for a control and pass type of player.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Fraser Fyvie is a Scottish Cup winning hibs legend who deserves more respect than he gets. He got subbed today because the formation was wrong. It was nothing to do with how he was performing as the whole team up till that point had been brutal. Let's not over analyse things here.

United we stand here....

Testimonial Due capitals_finest's Avatar
    I have really liked Fyvie since I first saw him. He has had a few bad games this season but under Stubbs I thought he was one of our most consistent players. He would shine out in most teams in the SPL, we are just fortunate we have a strong midfield.

He was probably gutted because it was a big day for him in front of his friends and family so I can understand but Lennon did the right thing. As Lord bunberry says it was the formation that was the issue not the player.