hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    First Team Breakthrough Hibs1969's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Granted - he's not a bad pundit and he did play a number of good games for Hibs.

However - I had the misfortune to be seated not far away from him at the League Cup Final and his face was tripping him all day and believe me, in a very nasty way. It's understandable he was disappointed that he didn't get on the park but you could almost sense the grievance. Then at night, on the open topped bus, he was exactly the same and it looked as though he almost grudged his teammates their celebration.

So a team player, he most definitely was not. Anyway, I have more pressing things to do, I'm offski to the big game.

Sorry I think he was treated poorly by Collins that day. Stewart played well for Hibs during that tournament and was part of a cracking midfield. Collins went out of his way to give as many subs as he could a few minutes on the pitch but completely ostracised Stewart who left the club shortly afterwards. He's a decent pundit too who makes Craigen look like the complete buffoon that he is on BT.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Collins was such a disaster as a manager that we won silverware. It seemed to be the older players, who lacked the desire to work hard to achieve success, who were moaning about the manager. Most of them had their greatest achievement while at Hibs with Collins so for any of those players to be moaning about him 10 years later is bizarre.

I agree with the " throwing Brown under the bus' he also appears to exonerate himself from everything that went on, that's not the message that came out of ER at the time. When Collins took over Hibs played good football, the midfield in particular were asked to do a hell of a lot of work. When they didn't have the ball they hunted in packs to get it back and I thought it was quite exciting. It appears that the complaints came from the mid's in the main. They obviously didn't appreciate Collin's effort to get them fit enough to do the job the way he wanted it done. In any event, the players involved and Petrie should hang their heads in shame, what they did lacked class.IMO.

Left by mutual consent!
    A deliberate attempt to stir things up on what is a very important day for us. Absolutely disgraceful.
    Wouldn't worry about it - 10 years ago a lot of people read the 'Scotsman' but these days it's on a par with the 'Daily Rectum' and has the same amount of credibility.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickShoes View Post
    A negative hibs story when we have a big game, printed in a terrible red top? I'll not bother thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    Classic tabloid timing.
    The Scotsman is a red top tabloid? When did that happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    Yes, I saw that too, and wondered at the time what was going on. As he said himself, there are always two sides (at least two sides) to these things. TBH, I have to admit I'm no fan of John Collins - great player, but a disastrous appointment as manager. It wasn't just Stewart - it was the whole squad who were disenchanted with the situation - Jones, Brown, Stewart, the lot.

Enjoy the semi-final.
    Really? Winning the League Cup counts a disaster?

EZ

First Team Breakthrough
    It's strange looking back at it how well we was doing under Collins.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    The meejah and the roasters can't help themselves. Problem is we've sussed them.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

There is evidence from his time at more clubs than Hibs that John Collins just isn't cut out for being a manager despite having the skill, intelligence and experience to be so. It wouldn't be the first time that an extremely skilled practitioner turns out to be unable to coach or motivate others in that same activity.

Equally - those such as Michael Stewart who refer to themselves as people who "tell it like it is" or who "call a spade a spade" etc display the admirable quality of honesty but may sometimes value that more highly than demonstrating tact, empathy or considering the bigger picture.

All in all I actually see mistakes from all the parties involved in 2007 and consider that, sometimes - when individuals with certain personality types are placed together, everything is bound to explode at some point.

The over-riding disappointment for me was the timing of everything - just after the league cup win and when we were preparing for a SC semi-final. Couldn't it have just waited six weeks until the season ended??

Left by mutual consent!
    Collins was a clown. The revisionist view of his spell is bizarre to be honest.

I'm in 2 minds about this.

There's a bit of me that always wanted to hear Stewart's side of he story.

There's another bit of me that admired Stewart's fairly dignified silence over the whole affair, which is now blown.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    I think it's good that he's laid to rest all the speculation about the tryst at Chez Rod.
    I'd like to hear John Collins' version to get a balance as there's always two sides to a story.
    The only complaint I have with MS's article is the timing of it. Not so good, Mikey.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Granted - he's not a bad pundit and he did play a number of good games for Hibs.

However - I had the misfortune to be seated not far away from him at the League Cup Final and his face was tripping him all day and believe me, in a very nasty way. It's understandable he was disappointed that he didn't get on the park but you could almost sense the grievance. Then at night, on the open topped bus, he was exactly the same and it looked as though he almost grudged his teammates their celebration.

So a team player, he most definitely was not. Anyway, I have more pressing things to do, I'm offski to the big game.

Agree with all that.

I'm not denying the squad may have had some legitimate grievances (what was Tommy Craig's responsibility though?) but Stewart's demeanour at the LC Final really was a disgrace.

As one of the senior figures in the squad he should have put his personal disappointment to one side and supported his team mates, not moped about like a sullen teenager.

Decent player though and I do quite like his punditry.

First Team Breakthrough
    He's been prompted many times to tell his side ( having been presented as one of the main leaders of the revolt). In his favour he's always until now declined to comment. Maybe feels enough time elapsed. Heard similar about JC when at Livi

Quote Originally Posted by 660 View Post
    Collins was a clown. The revisionist view of his spell is bizarre to be honest.
    No revisionist views here. One of my best days as a Hibs supporter at that cup final and we played some very good football under him.

Some folks have some weird issues with him that clouds what we did achieve under his management.

And Stewart come across as a bit of a cocky arse and Collins wasn't the only manager he fell out with in his limited playing career.
    Last edited by Iain G; 22-04-2017 at 10:53 AM.

I think jc was good for us shame it couldn't have worked out at time

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Prat who likes the sound of his own voice. I'm sure his quest to become an MP was all about serving the people.

If this story was a file and I was a secretary, I'd definitely be looking for the category named "who gives a ****".

Edit: saying that, I did love him as a player for us. Part of a great midfield when he got a game.
    Liked him as a Hibs player & like him as a pundit.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by eezyrider View Post
    Really? Winning the League Cup counts a disaster?

EZ

In the long term, yes it was. Destabilised the club and left his successor with a terrible mess to sort out. He got on OK while he had TM's players, but his signings in the close season of 2007? O'Brien? Joneleit? Gatheussi? He was given the resources to sign players, and he signed up utter dross. By which time, of course, he's busy losing the dressing-room all but 2 players. I'd call that fairly disastrous.

Quote Originally Posted by Iain G View Post
    No revisionist views here. One of my best days as a Hibs supporter at that cup final and we played some very good football under him.

Some folks have some weird issues with him that clouds what we did achieve under his management.

And Stewart come across as a bit of a cocky arse and Collins wasn't the only manager he fell out with in his limited playing career.
    He brought in some modern ideas about fitness and diet that are par for the course now but at the time was too radical for the standard Scottish footballer.

Left by mutual consent!
    He's by far the best football pundit in Scotland (not that it would be overly difficult). He always gives a fair account of Hibs imo and doesn't dish out cheap shots like many of the other "pundits".

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Utter plum full of his own self regard. Couldn't give a 5hit how upset players are - the manager's in charge, right or wrong. What those players started with their 'revolt' infected our club for years and we paid a heavy price for it.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    The most telling two sentences in the article are these ....

“When John walked into the dressing-room for the first time he would have commanded instant respect because of his achievements as a player. But he lost that almost instantly."

How did he manage to lose it ""almost instantly"? He must have come over as a right roaster to do that.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post

“When John walked into the dressing-room for the first time he would have commanded instant respect because of his achievements as a player. But he lost that almost instantly."

How did he manage to lose it ""almost instantly"? He must have come over as a right roaster to do that.

I also don't believe it.

Ok, MS might have decided from day one that he didn't like the guy, but plenty of other players improved considerably under JC.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    I also don't believe it.

Ok, MS might have decided from day one that he didn't like the guy, but plenty of other players improved considerably under JC.
    Watched him on the coverage today and he seems like a bit of a gobsh*** who clearly values his own viewpoint, he only looks good on BBC Scotland when you compare him to the other numpties placed around him like Thompson or Willie Miller.

He achieved nothing noteworthy as a player so why he is wheeled out as an expert pundit is beyond me.

Was there not some video footage of Stewart booting a water bottle or something in the tunnel at the PBS in a fit of temper, and falling flat on his arse?

Hertz ****.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    I think it's good that he's laid to rest all the speculation about the tryst at Chez Rod.
    I'd like to hear John Collins' version to get a balance as there's always two sides to a story.
    The only complaint I have with MS's article is the timing of it. Not so good, Mikey.

the scotsman will have decided when it got aired surely ?

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar

my memory is rather hazy nowadays, did JC not flash his chest off telling the players they need to have a six pack like him ? can't remember if that was his first introduction in the players dressing room or another time

Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    my memory is rather hazy nowadays, did JC not flash his chest off telling the players they need to have a six pack like him ? can't remember if that was his first introduction in the players dressing room or another time
    This is what I heard too and then asked who was the fittest guy in the changing room, the players point to Broony and Collins challenges him to a fitness competition to show off.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    He is a decent pundit and for an ex sportsman moving into politics I think he is doing that with a fair degree of credibility. The stereotype is give a footballer a crossword to complete and then come back in a fortnight and he is still looking for page 3 unless he is Pat Nevin. But part of that transition has to come from him and he has to stop being a willing participant in rehashing all this. He won't move on from the perhaps unfair tag of the catalyst for trouble who once played for Man U but equally tackled a water bottle and came off second best.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    I'd take his word over Collins any day.
    Yes.