hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: 2000 Guineas

2000 Guineas

I know O'Brien's a great trainer and all that, but for me Caravaggio was the most impressive 2 year old last season, and at Royal Ascot, as far as I'm concerned, he was staying on well to come from a bad draw and win going away. But O'Brien seems to think he won't stay, and has Churchill as his first choice. Moore seems to agree with him too. Hmm. Anybody else who saw the Ascot race? I'd be very tempted to take a price on Caravaggio (if he runs).

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know O'Brien's a great trainer and all that, but for me Caravaggio was the most impressive 2 year old last season, and at Royal Ascot, as far as I'm concerned, he was staying on well to come from a bad draw and win going away. But O'Brien seems to think he won't stay, and has Churchill as his first choice. Moore seems to agree with him too. Hmm. Anybody else who saw the Ascot race? I'd be very tempted to take a price on Caravaggio (if he runs).
    I'm hoping for a big run from Dream Castle tomorrow at Newbury as he was impressive on debut.

I would be taking on Churchill. Lost too much money on Air Force Blue last year to take a O'Brien 'wonderhorse' at that price.

Quote Originally Posted by HibernianJK View Post
    I'm hoping for a big run from Dream Castle tomorrow at Newbury as he was impressive on debut.

I would be taking on Churchill. Lost too much money on Air Force Blue last year to take a O'Brien 'wonderhorse' at that price.
    That's the thing, HJK. Churchill has done nothing wrong, but he's far too short, and it looks like Caravaggio's heading for the French 2000 Guineas now. Barney Roy was quite impressive the other day for Godolphin, and Eminent looks a good horse as well, both better value than Churchill IMO, unless Churchill wins going away I suppose!

That's the thing, HJK. Churchill has done nothing wrong, but he's far too short, and it looks like Caravaggio's heading for the French 2000 Guineas now. Barney Roy was quite impressive the other day for Godolphin, and Eminent looks a good horse as well, both better value than Churchill IMO, unless Churchill wins going away I suppose!
    I think plenty will be happy to take Churchill on come Saturday and there's a lot of good things being said about Al Wukir from France.

I do fancy Barney Roy myself and maybe Rivet at a price EW.

Quite fancy Eminent.

Obviously the Frankel factor makes you think he'll be good over the mile but adding in the Northern Dancer all over his pedigree on both sides and I fancy he'll have both the speed and stamina to get home through the dip. The course form helps as well.

Not totally decided yet but I'll definitely be taking on Churchill if I have a bet.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Any excuse to post this:

https://youtu.be/aMvmAsRmwqo

2 of the great Guineas performances by 2 of the greatest flat horses there has ever been.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TreadsoneScot
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Any excuse to post this:

https://youtu.be/aMvmAsRmwqo

2 of the great Guineas performances by 2 of the greatest flat horses there has ever been.
    Until Frankels always thought Zafonic and Kings Best were a cut above. Form wise Dancing Brave despatched a class field who ran to form.

Well, Churchill wins comfortably in the end.

Was quite impressed with Churchill considering he hadn't had a run and the other two in the first three had. It looked a good field too. Barney Roy took a bad step and would have been closer but I'm not convinced he would have beaten Churchill today. Lancashire Bomber wasn't far behind either, and with Caravaggio running in the French 2000 Guineas I reckon O'Brien is going to be really hard to beat this season.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Was quite impressed with Churchill considering he hadn't had a run and the other two in the first three had. It looked a good field too. Barney Roy took a bad step and would have been closer but I'm not convinced he would have beaten Churchill today. Lancashire Bomber wasn't far behind either, and with Caravaggio running in the French 2000 Guineas I reckon O'Brien is going to be really hard to beat this season.
    I always think first time out in the guineas is the way to go if you think your horse is a derby type. The old saying that the guineas is the best derby trial is usually a good guide. You would imagine him going to York next then the derby. He's certainly got the breeding to have a bash at the derby.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I always think first time out in the guineas is the way to go if you think your horse is a derby type. The old saying that the guineas is the best derby trial is usually a good guide. You would imagine him going to York next then the derby. He's certainly got the breeding to have a bash at the derby.
    Yep, he's certainly got the breeding on the sire's side, and York then Epsom would be the logical route. I might be wrong, but if he stays a mile and a half that could really be where he comes into his own. He's not a flashy horse, he just always seems to do enough, but he seems really tough. The other option would be to stick to mile/mile and a quarter races, as he could just as easily be a Giant's Causeway type, really hard to beat and tough as teak.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Yep, he's certainly got the breeding on the sire's side, and York then Epsom would be the logical route. I might be wrong, but if he stays a mile and a half that could really be where he comes into his own. He's not a flashy horse, he just always seems to do enough, but he seems really tough. The other option would be to stick to mile/mile and a quarter races, as he could just as easily be a Giant's Causeway type, really hard to beat and tough as teak.
    I loved giants causeway he was as tough as they come

United we stand here....

Winter wins the 1000 Guineas. Another fine weekend for the Galileos.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Winter wins the 1000 Guineas. Another fine weekend for the Galileos.
    Yeh, what did you make of that? I actually quite fancied Winter before the race but never had a bet on the race. Could be a stayer, whereas Rhododendron, who was unlucky, looks more of a miler. The 3rd and 4th still looked quite green too.