hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

British and Irish Lions

Disappointed to only see two Scots in the squad. You're never going to please everyone of course and there are some English players who will be feeling rightly aggrieved (Launchbury being the obvious one) but surely there's a case to be made for more of our guys going? Russell, the Grays and Watson for example.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Disappointed to only see two Scots in the squad. You're never going to please everyone of course and there are some English players who will be feeling rightly aggrieved (Launchbury being the obvious one) but surely there's a case to be made for more of our guys going? Russell, the Grays and Watson for example.
    ... 12 Welshmen?

Agreed mate

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Probably the only 'British' team I have had any interest in in recent years has been the British (& Irish) Lions although with every tour my interest has definitely wained. Not sure if that's because recent tours have (deservedly) seen very few Scots in the touring party and even less in the test side. Gone are the days of Irvine, Jeffrey, Nicol, Sole, Calder, Tait, the Hastings, The Milne's, Beattie etc. The halcyon days!
    Or maybe it's because with each passing day I feel less 'British' but to have only 2 Scots selected despite the form of Glasgow and Scotland is shocking. Any lingering interest has dissipated......Mon the Kiwis!

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    ... 12 Welshmen?
    Indeed was that not the team Scotland horsed in the 6 nations. The Twickenham defeat has been used as an excuse to rule out more Scots IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Indeed was that not the team Scotland horsed in the 6 nations. The Twickenham defeat has been used as an excuse to rule out more Scots IMO.
    And the reluctance of 2 Scots (Townsend and 1 other) to accept Gatland's invitation to get involved. There was nobody there to lobby for Scottish players.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    And the reluctance of 2 Scots (Townsend and 1 other) to accept Gatland's invitation to get involved. There was nobody there to lobby for Scottish players.

Although that may be the case, Gatland and his staff have eyes and access to all matches and recordings.

Shocking that there are 12 welshmen selected.

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    Although that may be the case, Gatland and his staff have eyes and access to all matches and recordings.

Shocking that there are 12 welshmen selected.
    There was a suggestion a few weeks ago that this might happen, and that it would be an implied punishment for Townsend refusing the job.

@hibs.net private member
    There was a suggestion a few weeks ago that this might happen, and that it would be an implied punishment for Townsend refusing the job.

I'm not having that tbh. We're a good team but as individuals we're not stand outs - Hogg excepted.

We had a few on the fringes, I think Russell should've gone ahead of Biggar. For Ireland to have less players than Wales is farcical.
    Last edited by Danderhall Hibs; 19-04-2017 at 07:04 PM.

I'm not having that tbh. We're a good team but as individuals we're not stand outs - Hogg excepted.

We had a few on the fringes, I think Russell should've gone ahead of Bihar. For Ireland to have less players than Wales is farcical.
    Fair point about the team thing.

@hibs.net private member
    Fair point about the team thing.

I think Watson, Russell, Nel were unlucky not to go as first picks. Others like Maitland, Gray(s) and Brown are likely to be on the reserve list as well although maybe not 1st reserve.

They've picked Farrell as a 10 but he's likely to play 12 which means if Biggar picks up an injury either Sexton or Farrell will have to play midweek or they have to call up a reserve.

To be fair I think Nel would have gone if he hadn't been injured. It's not (just) the lack of Scottish players that I find hard to stomach, it's some of the players that have made it. Biggar over Russell or Ford, Moriarty, Henderson, Te'o, Payne. And from a purely Scottish point of view our one bad game against England has counted for far more than Wales' several poor games since last year.

@hibs.net private member
    To be fair I think Nel would have gone if he hadn't been injured. It's not (just) the lack of Scottish players that I find hard to stomach, it's some of the players that have made it. Biggar over Russell or Ford, Moriarty, Henderson, Te'o, Payne. And from a purely Scottish point of view our one bad game against England has counted for far more than Wales' several poor games since last year.
    He would've, although having said that it didn't make any difference for Kruis.

Also wonder if the fact we'll be touring in Australia at the same time came into their thinking. There're always injuries on a tour, probably even more so in NZ. Wouldn't be too surprised to see one or more Scots called up during the tour.

@hibs.net private member
    Also wonder if the fact we'll be touring in Australia at the same time came into their thinking. There're always injuries on a tour, probably even more so in NZ. Wouldn't be too surprised to see one or more Scots called up during the tour.
    I know but Wales are playing Tonga - in NZ!

I know but Wales are playing Tonga - in NZ!
    Ah well, scrub that then! 🙄

Think Finn Russell and Jonny gray can feel hard done by, before his injury I also thought laidlaw would go and had an outside chance of captain. I wonder if things would have been different if it wasn't the longtime Welsh coach leading again, or if there had been some Scots among the coaching staff. Poor show if some were asked and declined, surely it's a prestigious thing to be asked to coach as well as to play

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    Think Finn Russell and Jonny gray can feel hard done by, before his injury I also thought laidlaw would go and had an outside chance of captain. I wonder if things would have been different if it wasn't the longtime Welsh coach leading again, or if there had been some Scots among the coaching staff. Poor show if some were asked and declined, surely it's a prestigious thing to be asked to coach as well as to play
    I don't think Laidlaw was ever going to go tbh. Danny Care will be ahead of him as well. Only reason might have been as mideeek captain.

As for the coaches the rumour mill says they were offered the assistant attacking coach job. Assistant to Howley - the mastermind of the Welsh scintillating back play...

I'm welsh and even I'm shocked about the lack of Scots. Strauss was V good, should be in instead of Moriarty for sure. Russell should be in as well.

Shocked about Launchbury. Voted in 3rd place for player of the 6 nations then doesn't get picked!!! Jamie George. Not good enough to get in the England starting line up but seeming good enough to get into the Lions squad ahead of Hartley. Makes no sense.

Gatland just gone with players that he knows as Wales coach which is wrong. If he doesn't know some of the other players games well enough he should so some more scouting and get to know their games.

Really disappointed. I hope that if there are injuries he calls up the right players.

I don't think Laidlaw was ever going to go tbh. Danny Care will be ahead of him as well. Only reason might have been as mideeek captain.

As for the coaches the rumour mill says they were offered the assistant attacking coach job. Assistant to Howley - the mastermind of the Welsh scintillating back play...
    Howley is shocking as head coach. Last time he tool control of Wales we were poor. Good as a run of the mill backroom staff type coach but not good enough to be fronting the operation.

Ben Youngs withdraws for terribly sad reason.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Laidlaw in to replace him.

As you say, very sad reason for his withdrawal.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Yes, pleased for Laidlaw but absolutely not the way he'd have wanted to be called up. Very sad.

Horrible reason to be called up but I'm
    Sure Laidlaw will handle it with class and dignity.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/39868565

2019 world cup draw

Pool A: Ireland, Scotland, Japan, Europe 1, play-off winner (Europe 2 v Oceania 3)

Pool B: New Zealand, South Africa, Italy, Africa 1, repechage winner

Pool C: England, France, Argentina, Americas 1, Oceania 2

Pool D: Australia, Wales, Georgia, Oceania 1, Americas 2

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/39868565

2019 world cup draw

Pool A: Ireland, Scotland, Japan, Europe 1, play-off winner (Europe 2 v Oceania 3)

Pool B: New Zealand, South Africa, Italy, Africa 1, repechage winner

Pool C: England, France, Argentina, Americas 1, Oceania 2

Pool D: Australia, Wales, Georgia, Oceania 1, Americas 2

They've sure started the marketing campaign early!

Why bother doing the draw 2 years early when half the teams haven't qualified yet? makes no sense!!

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    They've sure started the marketing campaign early!
    Quote Originally Posted by nellio View Post
    Why bother doing the draw 2 years early when half the teams haven't qualified yet? makes no sense!!

i'm not quite sure why so early but this might be the reason

Chairman Bernard Lapasset said: "The pool allocation draw is an important milestone in the run-in to any Rugby World Cup and it really helps to build excitement and momentum. With the identity of 12 teams already known, it will be of huge interest to players and fans to know which sides will be in their pool for what will be a game-changing tournament in Japan.

"While the draw is closer to the start of the tournament this time around compared to the previous RWC, it is necessary to conduct it well in advance for logistical reasons and to allow for an effective ticketing programme to be implemented.”

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/news/158737

Don't get it. If teams have qualified anyway then they will know to start preperations and Japan will know who's qualified as well. Doesn't matter what pool their in unless travel etc is pool specific.?

the paris round of the 7's this weekend if anyone watches