hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bartley speaks...

https://twitter.com/scotlandsky/status/855050955749851136

2. Log in to remove the advert

Full interview via Sky Sports On Demand

So he's staying probaly. Great if true.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Good stuff. We'll definitely need the big felly next season.

Delighted if he stays. He's had his best games for us against Premiership teams.

First Team Breakthrough Stoney Hibee's Avatar
    I am not sure, in certain games he does an outstanding job without doubt. However the ability to score a few goals from a midfielder is essential and he does not have that in his locker. Does anyone know how many shots on goal he has had this season?

Elephant Stone
    Left by mutual consent!
    Brilliant guy. Consistently solid performer who always turns up on the big occasions, exactly the kind of mentality we need and have lacked in midfield in recent times.

Get it signed Marvin

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    i like Marv

Would love to see him stay for another couple of years stay with the hibees Marv

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am not sure, in certain games he does an outstanding job without doubt. However the ability to score a few goals from a midfielder is essential and he does not have that in his locker. Does anyone know how many shots on goal he has had this season?
    Claude Makelele scored 2 goals in over 200 games for Chelsea. Defensive midfielders don't need to score goals to be very important. Far from essential.

Means gies mair money

Delighted if the big man stays.

Good attitude and always gives his best.

GGTTH

Bartley is a midfield destroyer - someone who breaks up the play of opposing midfielders and wins key battles in that crucial area of play.
    Granted, he does not score many goals and if he could add this to his game he would be one helluva player.
    I'd be happy to see him stay.

Mentioned the training facilities. Marv knows what he's doing

He's scored as many goals for us as Javier Mascherano has for Barcelona in his 7 years there....
    Zero. Sometimes there's more than just goals involved in a players contribution to the team?

@hibs.net private member
    How many goals have all the midfielders scored this season

Would be interested to find out who the manager that said hibs was a "dead end move" was and what he meant by it. Big Marv proving them wrong - think he's brilliant at what he does, great player to have for big games.

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

If a defensive midfielder scores a goal then he's not doing his job properly

In his interviews, reminds me a bit of David Murphy - articulate and intelligent.

Sat Semi is tailor-made for Bartley, sitting in front of the back 4. Good guy

Definitely a good move for Marv to move to us from Leyton Orient, who are about to be relegated out of League Two and are in severe financial difficulty.

The manager that said it was a "dead end move" could have been his manager at Leyton Orient, Ian Hendon, who was sacked by them 6 months after Marv joined us.

Or does anyone know how many shots on our goal he has prevented this season?

Left by mutual consent!
    Scoring goals is not his job. Breaking up play and adding muscle to our midfield IS his job. To cite his goalscoring record as possible reason not to give him a new contract is mental.

Our best holding midfielder since Matty Jack. We'll miss him when he goes.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Or does anyone know how many shots on our goal he has prevented this season?
    Agreed with the subtle point you make. Or indeed how many dangerous break aways he has prevented by getting stuck in and covering the back 4.

The Bartmans a good guy.

GGTTH

Not really his job. The rest of the midfield needs to chip in with goals though.

Testimonial Due capitals_finest's Avatar
    He is the sort of player we have been saying for years that we need so hopefully we can hold on to him. 'The Matty Jack Type'.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicho87 View Post
    Our best holding midfielder since Matty Jack. We'll miss him when he goes.
    Hes not a holding midfielder tho.... Fyvie is. Bartley is spoiler. Great against hard midfields but is the last player you want if you want to actually keep the ball in possession.

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    Hes not a holding midfielder tho.... Fyvie is. Bartley is spoiler. Great against hard midfields but is the last player you want if you want to actually keep the ball in possession.
    I know what you're saying but Bartley has played many games as a holding midfielder for us.

Also I think his passing is underrated, doesn't create much but at the very least he usually retains possession

First Team Regular HIBEES 4 LIFE's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Claude Makelele scored 2 goals in over 200 games for Chelsea. Defensive midfielders don't need to score goals to be very important. Far from essential.
    Finally a sensible post about a defensive midfielder!! 99% of this forum want 3 attacking central midfielders and 2 wingers playing. I for one hope to never see this. We'd be battered every week.

The defensive midfielders sole job is to get the ball back for us and give it to those guys who can play (McGinn, McGeouch etc). If you had a defensive midfielder who could tackle, pass, create and score he'd not be playing at ER that's for sure.