hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Travelling solo

Travelling solo

Looking for some advice about travelling solo - have many people done this and how did you feel about going solo?

I ve been bugging my brother into going back to new york but he is in two minds and well i am tempted to go solo but am a lil worried i guess a bit about beind judged as a weirdo in regards being there alone.
    has anyone been somewhere solo?
    how did you find it?
    did you feel safe?
    any tips-pointers?

many thanks for reading and hope to hear your experinces

2. Log in to remove the advert

Definitely won't feel like a weirdo - if you're relatively shy, it may be like starting out at uni/a new job at times but absolutely nothing wrong with doing it alone.

I don't speak from experience by the way, but I intend to do exactly the same (just as soon as I can afford it).

Go for it - you will not regret it.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    I've been away a couple of times on my own. 2/3 weeks at a time.

Staying in hostels/drinking in hostel bars makes it easy to meet people because a lot are in the same boat.

If you go on day trips you'll get chatting to people as well.
    Last edited by Speedy; 19-04-2017 at 09:25 PM.

hi and thank you russell and speedo for the replies!

Im just wanting to do something and travelling maybe works for me.i guess the plus side of going solo is i can do what *I* wanna do when i wanna do it

Thanks again for the feedback

Just do it. You'll only seem like a weirdo if you act like one.

Travelled alone for periods in Australia. Daunting at the time, but looking back, some of my best experiences were when i had to push myself to chat with folk and get involved. You might feel a bitbof a dick at times but so what, put yourself out there and remember there are loads of other lone travellers feeling just the same as you. Top tip, stay in backpackers and hostels etc,more likeminded people, and don't be afraid to stay in dorms.

hi

lyonhibs- you are right, i just worry being on my own, though I never try to act weird!

beensaidbefore- thank you for the feedback..aussie looks amazing though i dont fancy the long long travel-even if broken up into smaller plane rides!
    I am however very reserved-shy and dont find talking to people easy, unless i know somethign about the subject.I guess i i d know what i d wanan do-wanna see, i d keep outta peoples way, hope people stay outta my way and hope for the best!

thanks to all whom have taken the time to read and post replies!

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyhibs1983 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    hi

lyonhibs- you are right, i just worry being on my own, though I never try to act weird!

beensaidbefore- thank you for the feedback..aussie looks amazing though i dont fancy the long long travel-even if broken up into smaller plane rides!
    I am however very reserved-shy and dont find talking to people easy, unless i know somethign about the subject.I guess i i d know what i d wanan do-wanna see, i d keep outta peoples way, hope people stay outta my way and hope for the best!

The way around that is to plan trips and visits around things you have an interest in. You'll find local experts and like-minded people willing to share their knowledge in a non-invasive manner. I do like my own company at times but when you're visiting some of the wondrous sights it's nice to be able to participate and share the experience.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Just back from NYC. The city has changed so much since my last visit just after 9/11. It's gone from being like London where everyone is down right rude, in a perpetual mad rush all the time and in their own wee bubble to being so friendly. I was shocked. People chatting to you on the metro, offering help when looking at a map or metro map and I even had a random say 'bless you' when I sneezed in the street. It seems 9/11 has brought about a community spirit you simply don't get in other huge cities. I felt very safe, even riding the metro with my family late at night (there was a lot of homeless folk tho).

With regards traveling solo, nobody will even notice or care. If you want to keep yourself to yourself you can do. If you want to meet folk then I'd recommend staying Ina hostel and hitting some of the many Irish bars.

Go for it, you'll love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Geo_1875 View Post
    The way around that is to plan trips and visits around things you have an interest in. You'll find local experts and like-minded people willing to share their knowledge in a non-invasive manner. I do like my own company at times but when you're visiting some of the wondrous sights it's nice to be able to participate and share the experience.
    Good advice. Having a plan/itenary, and a reason for your plan, is a good idea. You may meet other with similarans and find a buddy for art of the journey etc. Having an element of flexibility also means you can go slightly off plan if the opportunity arises.

hi

Maybe you could book a couple of hostels where you could stay for a week or so. I found small hostels to be better for getting a chat with other. Some hostels are huge and that makkes it more difficult to see the same folk time and again. Just remember, even if you feel awkward and like a spare part nobody knows you so move on and try again. You willove it, travelling was the best thing I ever did. I some amazing folk and happen to have been living with my Mrs for the last 7 years having met travelling.... Not sure if that last point is a good or bad thing! 😂

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    I love travelling on my own. I can do what I want, when I want with who I want. The only place I've ever been alone where I felt uncomfortable was London.

hi

and thanks to all the postive feedback in regards travelling solo, it is fantastic how postive the responses have been !!

Hibrandenburg- thanks for the post and thats a mega mega plus in regards wanting to do what i want(within reason of course )

beensaidbefore- its a good idea what you have mentioned, so thanks !

Geo_1875- yep soime good pointers there, i am a *planner* type person!

Frazerbob- I love new york and is the place where i am considering a solo trip, though im thinking maybe doing a *trial solo trip* to london first!
    when we were in new york last year we got lost in central park and these 2 older ladies were pretty friendly in pointing us in the right direction!

Thanks to all whom have taken the time to respond
    kind regards

First Team Breakthrough .Louise.'s Avatar
    I've done it numerous times. I was used to working away all week on my own mostly so became used to solo travelling. I've done Oz on my own. A daunting experience but it is what you make of it.

Wouldn't be my preference (being a bit old fashioned etc) but there are plenty social apps that will help you find people in similar situations when you get over there. May help if you are feeling a bit uneasy about meeting people for the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    Wouldn't be my preference (being a bit old fashioned etc) but there are plenty social apps that will help you find people in similar situations when you get over there. May help if you are feeling a bit uneasy about meeting people for the first time.
    I don't think that's what Tinder is for!! 😂😂😂

hi
    many thanks to both louise and russell for your feedback,Oz does look amazing though the time to get there well lol ,but thanks for the feedback !

Quote Originally Posted by ColinNish View Post
    I don't think that's what Tinder is for!! 😂😂😂

True. Although that is one app that will certainly help him 'get to know' people

hi
    many thanks to both louise and russell for your feedback,Oz does look amazing though the time to get there well lol ,but thanks for the feedback !
    No problem pal - away'n enjoy yourself.