Appendix 1 – Telephone Bomb Threat Checklist
If possible, tell someone else immediately so that they can tell the Head of Establishment (or Deputy).
• Do not put down the handset or stop the conversation.
• Switch on call recorder (if available).
• Try to keep the caller talking (apologise for a bad phone line, ask him or her to speak up, and so on).
• Get as much information as you can.
• Fill in this form as you go along.
• Ask the questions below if the caller does not give you the information that you need.
• Try and ask them in the order they appear so that you don’t miss anything out.
Ask the caller the following questions…
Where is the bomb right now?
When is it going to explode?
What does it look like?
What kind of bomb is it?
What will cause it to explode?
Did you place the bomb?
Who are you?
What is your address?
What is your telephone number?
The following part should be completed once the caller has hung up and the Head of Establishment (or Deputy) and Police have been informed.
Time and date of call:
Length of call:
Number at which the call was received (i.e. your extension number):
About the caller:
Male: _____ Female: ______ Age: ________ Nationality: _____________________
Tick as appropriate
Speech Background sounds
Well Spoken Street noises
Irrational House noises
Taped message Animal noises
Message read by threat-maker Clear
Caller’s voice Static
Calm PA System
Clearing throat Music
Angry Factory machinery
Nasal Office Machinery
Slurred Other (please specify)
Excited WAS A CODE WORD USED?
Disguised Other Remarks/
Type of Accent
If a familiar voice whose did it sound like