hibs.net Messageboard

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
Results 271 to 300 of 334

Thread: Snap Election?

  1. #271
    ADMIN marinello59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    I still live in hope.
    Posts
    27,103
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    McGarry is expecting a child, so she may have different priorities. Not sure about Thomson.
    It does seem a bit unfair though as they are still not guilty of anything.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #272
    Testimonial Due
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,904
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    McGarry is expecting a child, so she may have different priorities. Not sure about Thomson.
    Yet she voted against the election... strange.

    Anyway surely its for local branches to decide?
    Last edited by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy; 20-04-2017 at 07:48 PM.

  4. #273
    Testimonial Due
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,904
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It does seem a bit unfair though as they are still not guilty of anything.
    Agree with this, innocent until proven guilty. As are the tories accused of malfeasance.

  5. #274
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    7,576
    BNP manifesto 2005...Tory Party today?

    A piece by Craig Murray.

    I was struck by how entirely similar Theresa May’s discourse is to that of the British National Party candidate I fought in Blackburn in 2005. That led me to turn to the BNP 2005 Manifesto, and I can see little significant difference between it and current Tory policy.
    The British National Party in 2005 advocated:

    – Severe cuts in immigration
    – Leaving the EU
    – Bringing back grammar schools
    – Increased military spending
    – More “security” and “strong leadership”
    – Foreign policy driven by “British national interest” not human rights
    – Reduce development aid

    Indeed, the few differences I can find between the BNP 2005 manifesto and the current Tory platform are in areas like the NHS, where the Tories are more right wing than the BNP were.

    Thankfully it was still considered by most people socially beyond the pale to support the BNP in 2005. Today the media portray anyone perceptibly to the left of those positions as mad. Society has changed markedly – and not for the better

  6. #275
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    7,576
    Katie Hopkins attacks the First Minister, and Mhairi Black.

    https://t.co/tHVago0EUM

  7. #276
    Testimonial Due
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,904
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Katie Hopkins attacks the First Minister, and Mhairi Black.

    https://t.co/tHVago0EUM
    You shouldn't even give that woman the publicity mate.

  8. #277
    Coaching Staff The Green Goblin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Lisbon
    Posts
    5,887
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah fair point, an important distinction. Happy to stand corrected Green Goblin.
    Cheers and no worries!

  9. #278
    @hibs.net private member Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Dont know its too dark in here
    Age
    59
    Posts
    9,200
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Katie Hopkins attacks the First Minister, and Mhairi Black.

    https://t.co/tHVago0EUM
    Proof if its needed they're both worth voting for!
    Space to let

  10. #279
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Katie Hopkins attacks the First Minister, and Mhairi Black.

    https://t.co/tHVago0EUM
    Less interesting what she says than that it's considered acceptable in a mainstream UK publication to essentially slag people off on account of them being working class Scots. I thought we were supposed to be the bigoted, racist, jackboot polishing Nazis?

  11. #280
    Just out of curiosity, why are so many against grammar schools? Surely if someone from a poor background is clever & has a chance to escape that life through education- it's only a good thing.
    I understand everyone has a right to the same education and it should be this(as it is in Sweden) but with education standards so low in Scotland (your behind many poorer countries for goodness sake!) what happens to these bright children with huge potential in a rotten system?

  12. #281
    @hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Leith
    Age
    37
    Posts
    3,590
    Quote Originally Posted by Swedish hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just out of curiosity, why are so many against grammar schools? Surely if someone from a poor background is clever & has a chance to escape that life through education- it's only a good thing.
    I understand everyone has a right to the same education and it should be this(as it is in Sweden) but with education standards so low in Scotland (your behind many poorer countries for goodness sake!) what happens to these bright children with huge potential in a rotten system?
    We don't have grammar schools in Scotland, they are in England and Wales, all kids go to their local school here and they are in different levels of class dependent on grading, you can move up or down classes dependent on how you perform or if help is needed, this is the right way to do it in my opinion and although the levels have slipped over the last few years I think we still have a vastly superior and fairer system than down south. Always room for improvement when it comes to educating kids though

  13. #282
    Quote Originally Posted by Mon Dieu4 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We don't have grammar schools in Scotland, they are in England and Wales, all kids go to their local school here and they are in different levels of class dependent on grading, you can move up or down classes dependent on how you perform or if help is needed, this is the right way to do it in my opinion and although the levels have slipped over the last few years I think we still have a vastly superior and fairer system than down south. Always room for improvement when it comes to educating kids though
    Ah yes, this is good to know. Thank you for educating me! I agree with you, Education must come first absolutely.

  14. #283
    Testimonial Due pacoluna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Leith
    Posts
    1,062
    Quote Originally Posted by Swedish hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ah yes, this is good to know. Thank you for educating me! I agree with you, Education must come first absolutely.
    The test that you are required to pass in order to attend a grammar school is tailored towards those who have been tutored. Tuition costs money, which in my opinion reinforces middle - class privilege.

  15. #284
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    7,576
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You shouldn't even give that woman the publicity mate.
    Au contraire, she should be highlighted at every opportunity, to show others how absolutely ***** mental she is.

    It's what the Scotsman has become now.

  16. #285
    First Team Breakthrough
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    222
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Less interesting what she says than that it's considered acceptable in a mainstream UK publication to essentially slag people off on account of them being working class Scots. I thought we were supposed to be the bigoted, racist, jackboot polishing Nazis?
    To be fair I'm working class scottish and I find alot of the SNP MP'S to be chips and cheese eating roughnecks!

  17. #286
    Quote Originally Posted by HomeTeam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    To be fair I'm working class scottish and I find alot of the SNP MP'S to be chips and cheese eating roughnecks!
    I'll leave that to you and your therapist.

  18. #287
    Testimonial Due Smartie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Age
    39
    Posts
    4,644
    Quote Originally Posted by Swedish hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ah yes, this is good to know. Thank you for educating me! I agree with you, Education must come first absolutely.
    I must admit that I'm quite enjoying your "outsider looking in" questions.

    A lot of the dialogue on a lot of subjects has become tired, predictable and a lot of people have retreated into their bunkers backing anything and everything that their favoured political parties are saying.

    I don't think enough people in this country ask questions of themselves and their own parties. There is often an immediate instinct to oppose something "just because the bloody Tories thought of it so it must be bad" rather than actually consider it's merits before dismissing it.

    I think the Grammar school idea is worthy of further consideration if not immediate implementation, even if it is not currently on the cards in Scotland. I'm a huge believer in education, in equality of opportunity. My political beliefs range from quite left-wing to quite right-wing on a subject by subject basis, levelling out somewhere near the centre. My education beliefs are very left-wing, I'd like to see a lot more done to feed kids at school as well as throwing money at primary, secondary, further education as well as apprenticeships.

    If we ever get onto health, I'm sure my views will be fairly universally unpopular on here....

    I don't comfortably sit in any of the party boxes and anyone that I vote for will only ever be a "best fit".

  19. #288
    Testimonial Due
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,904
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Au contraire, she should be highlighted at every opportunity, to show others how absolutely ***** mental she is.

    It's what the Scotsman has become now.
    I disagree, she wants attention. Dont give her it and she goes away. If she gets the cybernat community all up in arms, having a go back at her via twitter, shes done her job and you habe all written her next article for her.

    But jusy my opinion.

    I agree the scotsman has gone way downhill, bit its nowhere near as bad as that. And from a guy who posts links to the National, its an odd accusation!

  20. #289
    Testimonial Due
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,904
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I must admit that I'm quite enjoying your "outsider looking in" questions.

    A lot of the dialogue on a lot of subjects has become tired, predictable and a lot of people have retreated into their bunkers backing anything and everything that their favoured political parties are saying.

    I don't think enough people in this country ask questions of themselves and their own parties. There is often an immediate instinct to oppose something "just because the bloody Tories thought of it so it must be bad" rather than actually consider it's merits before dismissing it.

    I think the Grammar school idea is worthy of further consideration if not immediate implementation, even if it is not currently on the cards in Scotland. I'm a huge believer in education, in equality of opportunity. My political beliefs range from quite left-wing to quite right-wing on a subject by subject basis, levelling out somewhere near the centre. My education beliefs are very left-wing, I'd like to see a lot more done to feed kids at school as well as throwing money at primary, secondary, further education as well as apprenticeships.

    If we ever get onto health, I'm sure my views will be fairly universally unpopular on here....

    I don't comfortably sit in any of the party boxes and anyone that I vote for will only ever be a "best fit".
    Thats an admirable way approach things.

  21. #290
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    7,576
    [QUOTE=SouthsideHarp_Bhoy;5017671]I disagree, she wants attention. Dont give her it and she goes away. If she gets the cybernat community all up in arms, having a go back at her via twitter, shes done her job and you habe all written her next article for her.

    But jusy my opinion.

    I agree the scotsman has gone way downhill, bit its nowhere near as bad as that. And from a guy who posts links to the National, its an odd accusation!QUOTE]

    I suppose, I should be glad you never mentioned wings. You best get back to your Daily Mail now.

  22. #291
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I must admit that I'm quite enjoying your "outsider looking in" questions.

    A lot of the dialogue on a lot of subjects has become tired, predictable and a lot of people have retreated into their bunkers backing anything and everything that their favoured political parties are saying.

    I don't think enough people in this country ask questions of themselves and their own parties. There is often an immediate instinct to oppose something "just because the bloody Tories thought of it so it must be bad" rather than actually consider it's merits before dismissing it.

    I think the Grammar school idea is worthy of further consideration if not immediate implementation, even if it is not currently on the cards in Scotland. I'm a huge believer in education, in equality of opportunity. My political beliefs range from quite left-wing to quite right-wing on a subject by subject basis, levelling out somewhere near the centre. My education beliefs are very left-wing, I'd like to see a lot more done to feed kids at school as well as throwing money at primary, secondary, further education as well as apprenticeships.

    If we ever get onto health, I'm sure my views will be fairly universally unpopular on here....

    I don't comfortably sit in any of the party boxes and anyone that I vote for will only ever be a "best fit".
    afaik the evidence suggests grammar schools make equality of opportunity worse. Well off parents get their kids coached through the selection phase at 11.

  23. #292
    Testimonial Due Smartie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Age
    39
    Posts
    4,644
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    afaik the evidence suggests grammar schools make equality of opportunity worse. Well off parents get their kids coached through the selection phase at 11.
    Yes, with the hugely imperfect current education system being the way it currently is.

    I've not stated I'm in favour of it, not by a long shot, I just think that it is worthy of further consideration.

    In the past, when a more similar system to the grammar school system was in place, it was easier for people from deprived backgrounds to reach the top. Nowadays it is significantly more difficult. In our desire to be "fair" we drag down the talented but poor kids to reach a level with the disinterested, less talented et al, leaving the way to the top much easier for those who are privately educated.

    My parents are Fifers and are roughly of an age with people like Val McDermid, Gordon Brown, Iain Banks, Turnbull Hutton and Ian Rankin. It is an area that is so rich in natural ability it is frightening but it is far harder for people from a "normal" background to reach the heights that these people did.

    I'm open to the idea that grammar schools may help, if not yet entirely convinced by it.

  24. #293
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes, with the hugely imperfect current education system being the way it currently is.

    I've not stated I'm in favour of it, not by a long shot, I just think that it is worthy of further consideration.

    In the past, when a more similar system to the grammar school system was in place, it was easier for people from deprived backgrounds to reach the top. Nowadays it is significantly more difficult. In our desire to be "fair" we drag down the talented but poor kids to reach a level with the disinterested, less talented et al, leaving the way to the top much easier for those who are privately educated.

    My parents are Fifers and are roughly of an age with people like Val McDermid, Gordon Brown, Iain Banks, Turnbull Hutton and Ian Rankin. It is an area that is so rich in natural ability it is frightening but it is far harder for people from a "normal" background to reach the heights that these people did.

    I'm open to the idea that grammar schools may help, if not yet entirely convinced by it.
    Do you have any evidence for this?

    Apart from Broon where it is, I would say, practically impossible for a Scottish person to be UK prime minister because of enhanced devolution (well at least if they represent a Scottish constituency).

  25. #294
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    7,576
    Nick Robinson at it again with his BBC Bias. This time it's against Corbyn.

    https://t.co/nIFbUeCP1u

  26. #295
    @hibs.net private member Golden Fleece's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    between a brewery & distillery
    Age
    60
    Posts
    10,656
    Gamer IDs

    Wii Code: 8716 3819 6602 4564
    This should be fun

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39671163

    Let's vote for who can raise them the highest
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

  27. #296
    Testimonial Due
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,904
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This should be fun

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39671163

    Let's vote for who can raise them the highest
    That would be quite a move. Does further hint at May being far more centreist than people have seen so far.

    Will be interesting to watch...

  28. #297
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That would be quite a move. Does further hint at May being far more centreist than people have seen so far.

    Will be interesting to watch...
    Much more likely they are allowing wriggle room for a downturn. In fact I tend to think this whole election is because they think 2020 (the end of the original 5 year term) is likely to be when Brexit starts to bite.

  29. #298
    Testimonial Due
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,904
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Much more likely they are allowing wriggle room for a downturn. In fact I tend to think this whole election is because they think 2020 (the end of the original 5 year term) is likely to be when Brexit starts to bite.
    I did wonder how people might put a negative spin on the Tories considering tax rises. I need wonder no more!

  30. #299
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Brandenburg
    Age
    51
    Posts
    8,345
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This should be fun

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39671163

    Let's vote for who can raise them the highest
    Think the biggest hint has to be his about-turn after the last budget, it's hardly a secret.

  31. #300
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I did wonder how people might put a negative spin on the Tories considering tax rises. I need wonder no more!
    Happy to help.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved