hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Team v Aberdeen

First Team Breakthrough
    Some of NL's comment's about the pitch at ER at the weekend being good enough to play football might be relevant for the midfield debate?

Bartley always shows up in the big games so he could be invaluable, but if the pitch at Hampden allows it and we want to go toe-to-toe and play some good football maybe he'll stick with the same midfield as Sat.

That would be my preference, but I think it's a really tough call as to which gives us the best chance at the win...

2. Log in to remove the advert

I think if he does go 3 at the back then Bartley will start on the bench, and maybe get on for the second half if Aberdeen's midfield prove to be to much.

If it is a back 4 then he'll probably start imo

3-5-2 would be suicide against McGinn and Hayes IMO. Let Gray and Stevenson defend and keep a solid back line with a 4-4-2. There central mid is poor, we can win that battle with a 4-4-2.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Marciano

Gray Ambrose McGregor McLean Stevenson

McGinn Bartley Fyvie

Cummings Holt

Would be my pick. Maybe swap Holt for Boyle.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    3-5-2 would be suicide against McGinn and Hayes IMO. Let Gray and Stevenson defend and keep a solid back line with a 4-4-2. There central mid is poor, we can win that battle with a 4-4-2.
    Agree.Three at the back the game could be over by half time.Gray and Stevenson are good full backs and mediocre wing backs.Aberdeen's attacking strength is out wide.We must play a proper back four supported by Bartley in the middle and other midfield cutting the space.

Testimonial Due
    Whats the likely line up of the Aberdeen team ?? I would start with same team as Saturday though reckon we might see Holt for Boyle but then Boyle's pace could be invaluable against Ash Taylor.

First Team Breakthrough
    3-5-2 would be suicide against McGinn and Hayes IMO. Let Gray and Stevenson and keep a solid back line with a 4-4-2. There central mid is poor, we can win that battle with a 4-4-2.

We played a back 3 against them in the cup last time, granted Hayes wasn't playing but McGinn was! McGinn was missing at the weekend and McInnes was saying he may not make it for the weekend (whether that's true or not is another matter!) They have good players but most of the good things they do come from Hayes so keeping him quiet is key, playing the back 3 against Rangers completely nullified their threat from wide so why wouldn't it work this time? I'm not saying I want us to play 3-5-2 but it seems a good option.

In what way are Kenny McLean, Ryan Jack and Graeme Shinnie poor? All excellent players.

Their central midfield is far from poor. Shinnie, Jack and McLean. Arguably better than our centre midfield and that is our strongest area of the park.

........................Marciano
    Gray McGregor. Ambrose Stevenson
    .........................Fyvie
    ................McGeouch McGinn
    Boyle........................................ Shinnie
    .....................Cummings

That's what I'd go with, although I don't think that will be the team Lennon picks, think he will start Bartley ahead of possibly McGeouch.
    Last edited by lumbo_hfc; 18-04-2017 at 03:01 PM.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lumbo_hfc View Post
    Their central midfield is far from poor. Shinnie, Jack and McLean. Arguably better than our centre midfield and that is our strongest area of the park.
    Agree a good mix of quality and physicality.

That's what I'd go with, although I don't think that will be the team Lennon picks, think he will start Bartley ahead of possibly McGeouch.

That would be my team too

I think we should have a right go at Aberdeen, pay them very little respect and go right at them. GK and back 4 as norm. McGeough, Fyvie and McGinn and a front 3 of Boyle, Cummings and Harris. F--- them for pace! Boyle tracking back to help deal wi Hayes who is their biggest threat IMO.

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    I think Boyle has to play, his pace makes him a real threat and he never gives defenders a minutes peace. He is also a good out ball for getting us up the park when we are 1 up with minutes to go !

Get the feeling Boyle will play and have a great game, fingers crossed!

First Team Breakthrough 21.5.16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dibben View Post
    Yip.

If Humphrey had been fit I would loved to have gone with a similar team to the Utd game in January with 2 fast wingers!!!

4 4 2 probably a better bet - not relying on SDG and Lewis getting up and down the wings!!
    Humphrey is fit. He was fit for Morton game according to him.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

I would go with

...........................Marciano..........

.........Ambrose...Mcgregor...Hanlon......

Gray.....McGeouch..Bartley...McGinn...Stevenson..

.....................Boyle........Cummings.....

I am a massive fan of Fyvie but I think Bartleys physicality could prove very handy against a very athletic and fast Aberdeen team.

The chances of Dons catching us out with a 352 down the wings are slim imo. If one full pack pushed on Bartley would be there to patrol the area and the other 3 defenders would shuffle across.

Boyle's pace up top could be very handy, running the channels and getting in behind guys like Ash Taylor

Obviously depends on Hanlon being fit. If not Mclean or Forster.

Conrad on SSN

Marciano

Gray
    McGregor
    Ambrose
    Stevenson

Bartley

McGeogh
    McGinn
    Shinnie

Holt
    Cummings

Gray and Stevenson concentrating on full-back duty and stopping their width.
    Holt needs to be in to noise up what is a decent defence and there are plenty tacklers in the centre but still decent ball players.

Mind you, I might be being a little conservative - Sevco pumped them 3-0 recently and they're a bit of a diddy team.

Bartley is a must for me, been MOM in every game we have played against better opposition.
    Last edited by pacoluna; 19-04-2017 at 08:37 AM.

This would be my team.

Quote Originally Posted by number9dream View Post
    Surely NL would only consider three central defenders if Hanlon was fit?

Very tough call with Bartley & Fyvie - Marv has the better engine / physicality - Fyvie is a better ball player. Could go 'super solid' and play both and leave Boyle as an option on the bench. Hopefully, Shinnie can do a number on his wee brother.

Marciano
    Gray Ambrose McGregor Stevenson
    Bartley McGeough
    Boyle Shinnie McGinn
    Cummings
    This team for me!

@hibs.net private member
    Marciano
    McGregor Hanlon Ambrose
    Boyle Fyvie McGeouch McGinn Humphrey
    Cummings Holt.

Not 100% sure if Hanlon will be fit but Lennon has said several times he may change the way he's been playing to suit the Hampden pitch.

I am willing to bet that Saturdays team will be a completely different setup to the one we seen last weekend.

Controversial to leave out Gray and Stevenson but pace is required IMO.

Boyle will destroy Considine, Humphrey will contain Shay Logan (who is a very good player) by getting forward as much as he can.

The midfield will be a constant battle several impressive midfielders on show for either side.

Holt will bully a weak centre half pairing and Cummings will hopefully do what he does best.

Praying Paul Hanlon is fit. Very, very important player.

That would leave a bench of: Gray, Stevenson, Laidlaw, Shinnie, Keatings, Graham, Bartley

Quote Originally Posted by HibernianJK View Post
    In what way are Kenny McLean, Ryan Jack and Graeme Shinnie poor? All excellent players.
    Ryan Jack is awful, I live in Aberdeen and most fans I speak to view him as the weak link of the team.

See above for Jack, McLean is incredibly inconsistent and goes missing for large spells, Shinnie is good but has a terrible disciplinary record. Hopefully gets himself booked early doors.

Quote Originally Posted by IAmLee View Post
    playing the back 3 against Rangers completely nullified their threat from wide so why wouldn't it work this time?
    Completely different circumstance IMO as Rangers width came from full backs Tavernier and Wallace

Same team as Saturday, Hampden is a big pitch like ER and the surface will be good so the midfield 3 against QOS should start due to their ball control.

Someone mentioned Aberdeen have been beaten by so called lesser teams in the league so we can go into the game with confidence knowing we can beat them if we play to our full capability.

First Team Breakthrough
    Ryan Jack is awful, I live in Aberdeen and most fans I speak to view him as the weak link of the team.

See above for Jack, McLean is incredibly inconsistent and goes missing for large spells, Shinnie is good but has a terrible disciplinary record. Hopefully gets himself booked early doors.

Completely different circumstance IMO as Rangers width came from full backs Tavernier and Wallace
    And Barrie McKay & Waghorn? They played wide in the 3 up top? Even if you want to discount Rangers, again we played the back 3 against Aberdeen last season when they were unbeaten in the league so why wouldn't it work this time? I kind of agree about Kenny McLean but recently he's been very good every time I've seen him. Don't forget they have Christie, who played & scored at the weekend, that they can play in there as well. He'll likely start if McGinn is still injured.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew70 View Post
    Marciano
    McGregor Hanlon Ambrose
    Cummings Holt.

Not 100% sure if Hanlon will be fit but Lennon has said several times he may change the way he's been playing to suit the Hampden pitch.

I am willing to bet that Saturdays team will be a completely different setup to the one we seen last weekend.

Boyle will destroy Considine, Humphrey will contain Shay Logan (who is a very good player) by getting forward as much as he can.

The midfield will be a constant battle several impressive midfielders on show for either side.

Holt will bully a weak centre half pairing and Cummings will hopefully do what he does best.

That would leave a bench of: Gray, Stevenson, Laidlaw, Shinnie, Keatings, Graham, Bartley
    I have to be honest and say that if that was our team I wouldn't even bother going.It would be a slaughter in my opinion.Certainly to play a team known for its expertise out wide without any natural full backs is an interesting concept.

This would be my starting 11 too. In Hanlon's absence the defence picks itself. Fyvie, McGeouch and McGinn to give us mobility and help us to keep the ball. Boyle and Shinnie to create and JC to score the winning goal.

Undoubtedly a day for the squad as a whole and possibly important roles for Bartley, Harris, Humphrey, Keats, Holt too.

First Team Breakthrough
    Marciano
    McGregor Hanlon Ambrose
    Cummings Holt.

Would have the exact same team!
    If Hanlon doesn't make it I would have faith in McLean as well, felt he was unlucky to be dropped.
    I would rather we lost going for it than sitting back.

Marciano
    McGregor Hanlon Ambrose
    Cummings Holt.

Wow mate ... we would either win 5 - 0 or get slaughtered 5 - 0

I'm not the best at picking teams, but I really think we need to concentrate on a solid defensive set up before looking at any other aspect of the game ..... I would prefer to see Gray and Stevenson allowed to defend rather than play as out and out wingbacks in this game, leaving space in behind either one, especially Gray on the right, would be inviting trouble down the wings.

If Humphrey is fit, as folk are saying he is claiming to be, we have at our call 3 pretty quick players of our own in Boyle, Humphrey and Harris, who looked much more like his old self during his little cameo against QOTS ...... What I do want to see is a man of the match performance from John McGinn ..... starting with the cup final last season he hasn't really imposed himself on any of our big games in a forward going sense, in fact he has played more like Marvin Bartley than Marvin Bartley, in that his job seems to be closing down and breaking up play rather than threatening the back 4 and creating chances.