hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Universe

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The thing I love most about this subject is that the possibilities are almost endless.
    To infinity and beyond
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by northstandhibby View Post
    I was reading a little bit here and there and of a theory that makes some sense of an infinite expansion causing the universe to become so dense it would crush objects to smithereens.

I thought of an analogy consisting of a very fizzy bottle of coca cola, shaking it very hard and then opening it (big bang). Once the gas and energy has disappeared from it you're left with a dead liquid.

Our universe is a bit like a fizzy bottle of coke full of gaseous compounds and atomic energy. Maybe the experts are surmising a dead universe devoid of the gas and atomic energy that's ever so very slowly being lost and expanding into the outer fields which is absorbing our gas and energy whereby our universe ultimately ends up like a dead dense bottle of coca cola.

its a theory?

glory glory
    That's roughly how I understand it as well. Once all the energy runs out, we're left with a cold universe. As humans we feel the need to think of everything having a beginning and an end, but maybe some things never end, they just keep going even when nothing is really happening anymore. In this subject I think it's helpful to try and put aside what we consider as normal when trying to theorise.

United we stand here....

https://youtu.be/cUiSMPHRrhc

Worth a look.

Quote Originally Posted by stuart-farquhar View Post

Worth a look.
    Your'e link doesn't work and i'd be interested to read what you're trying to post. Any chance of paraphrasing it if link has been removed or faulty?

Cheers.

glory glory

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rENyyRwxpHo&sns=em

The most detailed map of the universe to date.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post

Utterly amazing. Will we ever really know what the bigger picture and story is?

glory glory

The fascinating thing about that is that galaxy super clusters shouldn't really exist. That's why we know that dark matter exists. Galaxies all have an escape velocity that would see them escape the gravitational pull of the other galaxies. Without dark matter every galaxy exceeds that velocity.

United we stand here....

It works by copying and pasting if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by stuart-farquhar View Post

It works by copying and pasting if that helps.
    There you go

United we stand here....

Truly mind blowing the size of universe.
    Not really a huge interest of mine buto it is fascinating.
    My tuppence worth no danger there isn't life out there somewhere even if it is just some forms of bacteria or something still think there will some sort of evolved life though.

Quote Originally Posted by hibs#1 View Post
    Truly mind blowing the size of universe.
    Not really a huge interest of mine buto it is fascinating.
    My tuppence worth no danger there isn't life out there somewhere even if it is just some forms of bacteria or something still think there will some sort of evolved life though.
    I agree. I don't think intelligent life is widespread, but bacterial life will be present on millions if not billions of worlds.
    One idea I've been kicking around my head for a wee while is concerning evolution. Evolution on our planet started with bacteria evolving into other more complex life and eventually on to what we have now, bit given that we are almost identical in our make up to every other living being and more importantly our chemical composition is very similar to that of rocks. Is it possible that somewhere in the universe a planet has evolved to have consciousness? I know it sounds ridiculous, but when you think of the circumstances that led to humans it seems more plausible. The chances of us evolving from the first bacterial life must be billions and billions to one.
    I really think on this subject absolutely anything is possible and probably is given the sheer size of the universe and the possibility that our universe is probably just one amongst an infinite number of other universes.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    I agree. I don't think intelligent life is widespread, but bacterial life will be present on millions if not billions of worlds.
    One idea I've been kicking around my head for a wee while is concerning evolution. Evolution on our planet started with bacteria evolving into other more complex life and eventually on to what we have now, bit given that we are almost identical in our make up to every other living being and more importantly our chemical composition is very similar to that of rocks. Is it possible that somewhere in the universe a planet has evolved to have consciousness? I know it sounds ridiculous, but when you think of the circumstances that led to humans it seems more plausible. The chances of us evolving from the first bacterial life must be billions and billions to one.
    I really think on this subject absolutely anything is possible and probably is given the sheer size of the universe and the possibility that our universe is probably just one amongst an infinite number of other universes.

Errrr.... What's to say OUR planet isn't already conscious? .... We just don't know how to communicate with it!

Seriously though, interesting point.

Another thought that I play with is where are we as humans on the size spectrum? We know that there are things that are infinitely bigger and smaller than we are, but are we near the middle of the spectrum or closer to the biggest or smallest thing?

Another thought that I play with is where are we as humans on the size spectrum? We know that there are things that are infinitely bigger and smaller than we are, but are we near the middle of the spectrum or closer to the biggest or smallest thing?

Like our universe is just a small galaxy in an other larger galaxy and so on.like Russian dolls if you like?

Quote Originally Posted by hibs#1 View Post
    Like our universe is just a small galaxy in an other larger galaxy and so on.like Russian dolls if you like?
    Not so much the universe but the things in it. Is the difference between us and the biggest thing greater than between us and the smallest?

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Not so much the universe but the things in it. Is the difference between us and the biggest thing greater than between us and the smallest?
    Us : Tiniest quarks within an atom (or anything out there that is smaller)

vs

Us : Largest star in the universe(s) (or anything out there that is bigger)

Excellent topic by the way, OP. Have been reading with interest. The universe, in it's infiniteness, is fascinating. It saddens me that I'm confident we won't come close to understanding even a tiny % of it all before I die. I'm 99.9% certain that there is life, intelligent at that, out there - just based on probability due to the size of it all. I don't know how likely we are to ever encounter them though, given the billions of years the universe has existed for and the billions to surely come, we'll only likely be here to meet them for a small scope of time in that timeline.

A similar question to your one on size is where we fall on the scale of intelligence/evolution/industrialisation compared to everything else out there.
    Mon the Hibs.

Hopefully before I die we find there really are people like groot and star-Lord out there.

Keep posting though guys very enjoyable and interesting reading 👍.

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    Us : Tiniest quarks within an atom (or anything out there that is smaller)

vs

Us : Largest star in the universe(s) (or anything out there that is bigger)

Excellent topic by the way, OP. Have been reading with interest. The universe, in it's infiniteness, is fascinating. It saddens me that I'm confident we won't come close to understanding even a tiny % of it all before I die. I'm 99.9% certain that there is life, intelligent at that, out there - just based on probability due to the size of it all. I don't know how likely we are to ever encounter them though, given the billions of years the universe has existed for and the billions to surely come, we'll only likely be here to meet them for a small scope of time in that timeline.

A similar question to your one on size is where we fall on the scale of intelligence/evolution/industrialisation compared to everything else out there.
    My belief in extra terrestrial life is not based on the high chance that there is life out there but rather on the miniscule odds that there isn't. A small but important difference.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    My belief in extra terrestrial life is not based on the high chance that there is life out there but rather on the miniscule odds that there isn't. A small but important difference.
    Very poetic H, but what do you mean? (Sorry if I'm having a bit of a whoosh moment)
    Mon the Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    Very poetic H, but what do you mean? (Sorry if I'm having a bit of a whoosh moment)
    Most guesses at how much intelligent life out there are based on the Drake formula. But the Drake formula uses many unknown components and depending on these components you will get an answer of somewhere between 100's of millions of possible planets that will or have produced intelligent life and less than 1 but still more than 0. Now bearing in mind the formula is only used to calculate the likelihood of intelligent life in our Galaxy and the universe is infinite then the actual number of planets that will or have produced intelligent ET life is also infinite and that based on using the most pessimistic components in the calculation. The theory has its flaws, none more than the so called Fermi (I think) paradox but it's the best we've got and I like to think that even the most pessimistic outlook still guarantees swotty ETS.

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    Most guesses at how much intelligent life out there are based on the Drake formula. But the Drake formula uses many unknown components and depending on these components you will get an answer of somewhere between 100's of millions of possible planets that will or have produced intelligent life and less than 1 but still more than 0. Now bearing in mind the formula is only used to calculate the likelihood of intelligent life in our Galaxy and the universe is infinite then the actual number of planets that will or have produced intelligent ET life is also infinite and that based on using the most pessimistic components in the calculation. The theory has its flaws, none more than the so called Fermi (I think) paradox but it's the best we've got and I like to think that even the most pessimistic outlook still guarantees swotty ETS.
    How can the universe be infinite ?
    If it started as a point and is expanding , it's very much finite surely ?
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by sleeping giant View Post
    How can the universe be infinite ?
    If it started as a point and is expanding , it's very much finite surely ?
    Badly worded I agree but we don't know if the universe is infinite or not but it's contents for all intents and purposes are. We can't see the edges of the universe at present and might never be able to.

There's a new documentary series starting on Sunday night called Strip the universe. It's on the discovery channel, the trailer looked quite good.

United we stand here....

The Mars Perseverance rover is due to land next week. It’s got a mini helicopter on it that will be able to explore more than ever before. Fingers crossed that everything goes well.
    https://mars.nasa.gov/mars2020/

United we stand here....

The Mars Perseverance rover is due to land next week. It’s got a mini helicopter on it that will be able to explore more than ever before. Fingers crossed that everything goes well.
    https://mars.nasa.gov/mars2020/

Who's operating the remote controls?

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    Who's operating the remote controls?
    NASA pilots from Earth.

United we stand here....

NASA pilots from Earth.

that’s incredible, genuinely.

what’s the transmission time for a signal sent from earth or Mars to control the helicopter, does anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    that’s incredible, genuinely.

what’s the transmission time for a signal sent from earth or Mars to control the helicopter, does anyone know?
    I can’t remember the exact time, but I know that they have to do all the instructions in one go and send them together. It’s the same with all the rovers due to the time delay.

United we stand here....

I can’t remember the exact time, but I know that they have to do all the instructions in one go and send them together. It’s the same with all the rovers due to the time delay.
    I've got Software that allows me to preplan my drone's route prior to it taking off by using way points. I'm guessing the first flight will be basically just up and down to get a look at the terrain and then use that information to plan further flights. All guesswork on my part of course.

I've got Software that allows me to preplan my drone's route prior to it taking off by using way points. I'm guessing the first flight will be basically just up and down to get a look at the terrain and then use that information to plan further flights. All guesswork on my part of course.
    I would guess that as well. They have satellites in orbit that they might use to look at the terrain.

United we stand here....