hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    @hibs.net private member
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: FranckSauzee4
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The rules are the rules. Personally I think the biggest lesson this guy's kids will get is that school is of less importance than holidays and rules are there to be broken or at least only those rules you agree with are to be followed.

School is there to prepare kids for integration in our society and bit by bit year after year the effectiveness of the system has been undermined by a shift in values that has diminished the authority of schools and school teachers. Some kids see little or no rules and responsibility at home, if we continually chip away at our schools authority and the lesson that gives then we need not be surprised at the knock on effects.
    His argument is that he thought he was playing within the rules though.

The rules were worded to reflect the need for 'regular' attendance. He believed this was viewed as an overall record, which could certainly be classed as regular.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    His argument is that he thought he was playing within the rules though.

The rules were worded to reflect the need for 'regular' attendance. He believed this was viewed as an overall record, which could certainly be classed as regular.
    Ignorantia juris non excusat!

@hibs.net private member
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: FranckSauzee4
    Ignorantia juris non excusat!
    Indeed bur this wasn't a case of not knowing the rules, it was the way the rules were written and is an interpretation point. Previous case law on the issue appears to have been overturned with this one too.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Indeed bur this wasn't a case of not knowing the rules, it was the way the rules were written and is an interpretation point. Previous case law on the issue appears to have been overturned with this one too.
    The rules are quite clear. Only with the agreement of the head teacher is he allowed to take his kid out of school, he had no such permission.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    The rules are quite clear. Only with the agreement of the head teacher is he allowed to take his kid out of school, he had no such permission.
    The result of your leave request therefore bearing heavily on what kind of headmaster you happens to be at your school. A laissez-fairer or a disciplinarian.

Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    The result of your leave request therefore bearing heavily on what kind of headmaster you happens to be at your school. A laissez-fairer or a disciplinarian.
    Or if you get on with the school, or if your big brother used to be a dick in his maths class, or if you are on the pta council, or you run the school team, etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Kids learning from travel during term time would learn just as much traveling during holiday time. It's a pretty lame excuse for dragging kids out of school.

Where do you draw the line? 1 week, 2 weeks? Would it be ok to take kids out of school for 3 months visiting family in Australia or India, New Zealand or Pakistan?

I wonder if in private schools, where parents are paying cash upfront for their kids education, they have the same problems? I wonder how far they'd get in demanding a rebate for the time their kids miss?
    Private schools get longer holidays so holidays can be booked just outside of the peak period.

Nevertheless some parents still prefer an additional week in Dubai to returning their child on time. Tends to be the less academic kids with the less academic parents IMO. Might be different at senior school.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Nick T Muir
    I personally think the school holiday system is keek. There's no need for 6/7 weeks off in the summer. Shorten it to 4 weeks and give all kids and teachers the option for 2 weeks off when they want with exceptions around exam times. Not beyond the wit of man to provide a system of catch up and cover for teachers. It's not just the price for somewhere like Florida or DL Paris. It's heaving in the school holidays and basically detracts from the experience with all the queuing.

Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    Private schools get longer holidays so holidays can be booked just outside of the peak period.

Nevertheless some parents still prefer an additional week in Dubai to returning their child on time. Tends to be the less academic kids with the less academic parents IMO. Might be different at senior school.
    If your kids go to boarding school you probably don't give a damn about the brats being with you on holiday anyway. They won't be missed. That's definitely one of the benefits of being high falutin'.

First Team Breakthrough
    If your kids go to boarding school you probably don't give a damn about the brats being with you on holiday anyway. They won't be missed. That's definitely one of the benefits of being high falutin'.
    He never said boarding schools, he said private schools.

Yes. I was referring to day schools but, yes, boarding school would be different again.

I can't comment on them. They're quite a way above my social bracket!

Quote Originally Posted by ColinNish View Post
    He never said boarding schools, he said private schools.
    I know CN, I said boarding schools because my point wouldn't work otherwise

First Team Breakthrough
    I know CN, I said boarding schools because my point wouldn't work otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    Whether that's true or not I still don't see why the educational value of such trips would be any less if they did so during the school holidays instead of term time?
    Is Disneyland a mind-broadening experience? I would have thought the reverse was the case.

Go camping in France or whatever and get your kids to try and speak the lingo. It's not too pricey. Just takes a bit of effort.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Is Disneyland a mind-broadening experience? I would have thought the reverse was the case.

Go camping in France or whatever and get your kids to try and speak the lingo. It's not too pricey. Just takes a bit of effort.
    Woah there! That would take way too much effort for some folk!! 😊

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
    To what extent? 'Held back' for maybe 10-15 minutes?

I went away in high school for 2 weeks once and don't recall any huge effort having to catch up, nor anyone else suffering for my absence.
    Good for you. The fact the courts disagree perhaps means that your recollections are wrong. Maybe the fact that foreign travel is easier now than it's ever been, schools are now seeing a real disruptive effect, with more and more kids missing classes? But you know better than the teachers and courts :aok:

Anyway, these rules have affected me since August when my 5 year old son started school. He's pretty well travelled, as we were previously able to go on holiday when we wanted. This Summer we're just sticking to our usual holiday budget but being a bit more adventurous. We've booked cheap flights to Romania in July, and booked an apartment in Transylvania for two weeks. it may not be Florida, but atleast we're spending time together, nice weather and he gets to experience another culture, all without setting a bad example or causing disruption.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Grieves View Post
    Good for you. The fact the courts disagree perhaps means that your recollections are wrong. Maybe the fact that foreign travel is easier now than it's ever been, schools are now seeing a real disruptive effect, with more and more kids missing classes? But you know better than the teachers and courts

Anyway, these rules have affected me since August when my 5 year old son started school. He's pretty well travelled, as we were previously able to go on holiday when we wanted. This Summer we're just sticking to our usual holiday budget but being a bit more adventurous. We've booked cheap flights to Romania in July, and booked an apartment in Transylvania for two weeks. it may not be Florida, but atleast we're spending time together, nice weather and he gets to experience another culture, all without setting a bad example or causing disruption.
    Kind of my approach but then he's missing out on the lifechanging, dizzying intellectual heights of Disneyland or Dubai.

The one time I did take my boy out of school for a few days for a family event, I jammed something educational into the visit and asked the school for permission first.

Last two weeks of June at school are a farce anyway. Teachers winding down for the big break. Not much curriculum learning going on at all.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Wasn't the father taking his kid to Florida for the holiday? Wouldn't a holiday in Spain be cheaper even in the school vacation?

Personally I'd have been mortified if my parents had suggested I miss a week of school for holidays. There's important stuff goes on that a kid doesn't want to miss out on - not just the lessons.
    If your parents offered you a family holiday to Florida in exchange for missing one week of school you would have been mortified? Just not seeing it IMO.

I missed a week of primary school over October holidays for a family holiday to Florida but I believe my mum had informed the school first. No problem.

Generally, I have found that school teachers treat/talk to people as if they are pupils in their classroom.
    They don't seem to be able to switch off the "I'm in charge" mode.
    (Please note I did use the word "GENERALLY").

Generally, I have found that school teachers treat/talk to people as if they are pupils in their classroom.
    I agree it's not all of them, however definitely some do. I put it down to them never having left school - primary to secondary to uni back to school.

Institutionalised.

Even down to providing children's chairs to sit on at primary school parents' nights!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hibby Bairn View Post
    Even down to providing children's chairs to sit on at primary school parents' nights!!
    That's so they are in control and can look down on you.

@hibs.net private member calumhibee1's Avatar
    I once went to Florida for 3 weeks and got back the day the summer holidays started. Done me no harm what so ever, was the best summer I've ever had. The price increase between going on holiday to Florida for a family of say 4 going in June and going in July can literally be about 2500 - the flights alone in July can be around 1000 a head. No wonder people are taking them out of school to go.