hibs.net Messageboard

Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 29373839
Results 1,141 to 1,169 of 1169

Thread: Tories

  1. #1141
    Testimonial Due Colr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    London
    Age
    50
    Posts
    2,158
    Quote Originally Posted by Glory Lurker View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Supporters of left and right of Labour, on a thread about Tories, debating how to win middle England on policy areas that don't apply to Scotland. Crikey.
    Middle England would be bypassed by a Labour-SNP-Lib coalition.

    Labour policy on the House of Lords seems custom designed to accomodate such an eventuality.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #1142
    @hibs.net proletariat member Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    North stand
    Posts
    15,575
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    To be better than our neighbours??

    Bit harsh isnt it.

    Maybe, just maybe, people want to better themselves and have something tangible for their lifes work to pass on to their children.

    Its hugely popular because it was a great policy that lifted many working class people into home ownership they otherwise would never have had.

    I suspect people on the left hate it so much because they know just how much damage it has done to the left in the UK ever since.
    The chickens are certainly coming home to roost now though. It's got to the stage where solutions that were once considered radical (huge social housing programs etc...) are now considered a necessity and are even being flirted with by the right. It does make you wonder where this desirable "middle ground" actually is now when you consider the pressures being put on people who were once immune to them... and I'm not just talking about housing.

    I understand your point about house ownership but it's telling that we automatically equate people bettering themselves with something tangible. Call me naive but shouldn't we be aiming for something better than that?

  4. #1143
    Testimonial Due
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,108
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The chickens are certainly coming home to roost now though. It's got to the stage where solutions that were once considered radical (huge social housing programs etc...) are now considered a necessity and are even being flirted with by the right. It does make you wonder where this desirable "middle ground" actually is now when you consider the pressures being put on people who were once immune to them... and I'm not just talking about housing.

    I understand your point about house ownership but it's telling that we automatically equate people bettering themselves with something tangible. Call me naive but shouldn't we be aiming for something better than that?
    Possibly mate, such as? A house is a fundamental thing, its not like a car. Plus, ex council houses arent exactly luxurious.

    I agree there has been a problem in the 30 odd years since, but failures over 30 years of housing policy dont make right to buy wrong.

    Also, i think there has been an explosion in demand that would have been hard to keep up with - single person occupancy must be way higher than it used to be.

  5. #1144
    Testimonial Due Colr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    London
    Age
    50
    Posts
    2,158
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Possibly mate, such as? A house is a fundamental thing, its not like a car. Plus, ex council houses arent exactly luxurious.

    I agree there has been a problem in the 30 odd years since, but failures over 30 years of housing policy dont make right to buy wrong.

    Also, i think there has been an explosion in demand that would have been hard to keep up with - single person occupancy must be way higher than it used to be.
    Council housing from the post war period was a vast improvement on the utter crap that private landlords had forced working people to live in. It was progressively undermined for self centred ideological reasons by the Tories in the 50s and 70s.

  6. #1145
    Testimonial Due Glory Lurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Miles from in the know
    Posts
    2,154
    Ruth Davidson giving it "put up or shut up" to anti-May faction. I wonder when she'll make her own move for the job.

  7. #1146
    Testimonial Due Colr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    London
    Age
    50
    Posts
    2,158
    Quote Originally Posted by Glory Lurker View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ruth Davidson giving it "put up or shut up" to anti-May faction. I wonder when she'll make her own move for the job.
    Government falls. Election called. RD stands and gains a seat. Labour/SNP government. Leadership election in Tory party. RD is leader with the time and space to reform the unbred, self serving shower of ****ers and kick Borisís teeth in round the back of the Palace of Westminster.

    Job done.

  8. #1147
    Coaching Staff One Day Soon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In hope
    Age
    53
    Posts
    5,063
    There is significant demand now for affordable private rented accommodation which is why new consortia of builders and funders are getting together to build specifically for that purpose. We certainly need a lot more homes - and they need to be mixed tenure and of different types and sizes across different parts of the country.

    Right to Buy was probably the single biggest redistributive policy the country has ever seen. Pity it wasn't accompanied by a parallel build to replace programme.

    Planning and land supply are probably one of the two main pillars of constraint in our housing system, along with funding. Any scarcity forces up price - there's a reason why people land bank.

    We need to be careful to distinguish between homelessness and rough sleeping - they're not the same thing.

  9. #1148
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,320
    The tories seem to have lost £490Billion off the books, it looks like the UK gov have cocked up again.

    Strong and Stable.

    https://t.co/3fWzi1XlEm

  10. #1149
    @hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    19,680
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The tories seem to have lost £490Billion off the books, it looks like the UK gov have cocked up again.

    Strong and Stable.

    https://t.co/3fWzi1XlEm
    It's with the Hamilton Accies money...

  11. #1150
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,320
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's with the Hamilton Accies money...
    Bang goes that plan for Britannia 2.

  12. #1151
    @hibs.net private member Golden Fleece's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    between a brewery & distillery
    Posts
    11,369
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bang goes that plan for Britannia 2.
    No, Brittania 2 is safe as is HS2 Crossrail etc. It is the NHS and benefits that will have to foot the bill.

    In other news I see Douglas Ross will miss the debate and vote on Universal Credit at Wesminster by playing away in Barcelons. Priorities eh?
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

  13. #1152
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    8,010
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The tories seem to have lost £490Billion off the books, it looks like the UK gov have cocked up again.

    Strong and Stable.

    https://t.co/3fWzi1XlEm
    As suspected the usual poor standard of reporting and understanding on these type of figures just causes confusion...

    https://reaction.life/has-a-quarter-...isappeared-no/

  14. #1153
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,320
    Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As suspected the usual poor standard of reporting and understanding on these type of figures just causes confusion...

    https://reaction.life/has-a-quarter-...isappeared-no/
    I'd rather follow a "real" economist, rather than Iain Martin.

    http://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2...has-done-awol/

  15. #1154
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    8,010
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd rather follow a "real" economist, rather than Iain Martin.

    http://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2...has-done-awol/
    And he states "And that makes this half a story, at best"

    The premise of the original link was connecting technical data on corporate profits and investment flows to GDP which was fundamentally incorrect. It also stated that Britain no longer had a "reserve of foreign assets" which was also incorrect, if it even means anything at all. Finally it finished off with another random GDP figure for Brexit which again cannot be connected directly to the stats the article was based on.

  16. #1155
    Testimonial Due Colr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    London
    Age
    50
    Posts
    2,158
    Mhariís calling them out on their record.

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41388022

    For the Tories, all this self-generated Brexit crap is a Godsend in allowing them to divert attention from their record of economic incompetance.

  17. #1156
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,320
    Murdo gets caught out Lying on the minutes silence at McDairmid park.

    https://t.co/Ny5OTTLG6b

  18. #1157
    First Team Breakthrough
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    425
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Murdo gets caught out Lying on the minutes silence at McDairmid park.

    https://t.co/Ny5OTTLG6b
    He's an absolute walloper. That's completely unacceptable actions from an elected representative.

  19. #1158
    Testimonial Due weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    The wee coonty of course
    Posts
    2,081
    I can't open the link but if he is accusing them of disrespecting the minutes silence yesterday then he is a bigger prick than I thought. I watched the game, and much to my surprise, the silence was well observed. Fraser is an arrogant hun ******* as well as an arrogant Tory *******

  20. #1159
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,320
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I can't open the link but if he is accusing them of disrespecting the minutes silence yesterday then he is a bigger prick than I thought. I watched the game, and much to my surprise, the silence was well observed. Fraser is an arrogant hun ******* as well as an arrogant Tory *******
    He is. I watched the match too, and was delighted that the silence was respected by all fans at McDairmid. He seems to revel in sectarian **** when on twitter.

  21. #1160
    First Team Breakthrough
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    425
    I'll be surprised if this Tory government is around much longer. It's crisis after crisis just now.

  22. #1161
    Testimonial Due Colr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    London
    Age
    50
    Posts
    2,158
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Grieves View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'll be surprised if this Tory government is around much longer. It's crisis after crisis just now.
    Whatís going to bring them down, though?

  23. #1162
    Testimonial Due
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,108
    Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Whatís going to bring them down, though?
    I think this is the problem - while labour are far more popular than they were, im not sure they habe that 'govt in waiting' feel that Blair's guys had in the mid 90s, amd the tories are unlikely to bring down their own leader at the moment.

    Through circumstances, May is probably relatively stable at the moment. Although definitely not strong...

  24. #1163
    Old enough to know better. Stupid enough to do it anyway. Mr White's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    7,704
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think this is the problem - while labour are far more popular than they were, im not sure they habe that 'govt in waiting' feel that Blair's guys had in the mid 90s, amd the tories are unlikely to bring down their own leader at the moment.

    Through circumstances, May is probably relatively stable at the moment. Although definitely not strong...
    A nice big dirty scandal involving a few DUP MP's would be very welcome right about now.

    Edit- I typed "a few" when of course I meant "all of the".
    Last edited by Mr White; 07-11-2017 at 09:33 PM.

  25. #1164
    Testimonial Due Colr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    London
    Age
    50
    Posts
    2,158
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A nice big dirty scandal involving a few DUP MP's would be very welcome right about now.

    Edit- I typed "a few" when of course I meant "all of the".
    I think it will be a split on the Brexit deal. They are still divided on this issue.

    Brexit extremist will vote their own government down if they donít like the deal, the DUP might withdraw support if the Irish border solution doesnít work for their supporters. I donít think the Tory remain lobby are numerous enough ( yet) to have much inpact but I think enough would vote avainst no deal to bring down the government.2019/20 election IMHO.

  26. #1165
    @hibs.net private member GlesgaeHibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,813
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Grieves View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'll be surprised if this Tory government is around much longer. It's crisis after crisis just now.
    Here's hoping. In just one week we've had Fallon resign, Greene come under investigation, Patel on the verge of resigning, Boris under fire again, and some other chap suspended by the party (I forget his name). If it keeps going like this, then it won't last much longer.

  27. #1166
    Coaching Staff hibsbollah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    46
    Posts
    17,397
    Jewish Chronicle editor stands by his story that May knew about Patel's Israel trip all the time.

    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-politics-live

  28. #1167
    @hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Musselburgh
    Age
    59
    Posts
    12,814
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Jewish Chronicle editor stands by his story that May knew about Patel's Israel trip all the time.

    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-politics-live
    That's her "resigned". http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41923007

  29. #1168
    @hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Last Train to Skaville
    Age
    52
    Posts
    9,188
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think this is the problem - while labour are far more popular than they were, im not sure they habe that 'govt in waiting' feel that Blair's guys had in the mid 90s, amd the tories are unlikely to bring down their own leader at the moment.

    Through circumstances, May is probably relatively stable at the moment. Although definitely not strong...
    I am not sure that it is May's performance which will determine her length in office. All these scandals are playing out like the theory of the bus that you wait ages for and then a fleet of them arrive at once. She must have twigged by now that she has been well and truly played by the political elite in her own party. They will be hoping that she goes down carrying the can for all the bad stuff.

  30. #1169
    Coaching Staff hibsbollah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    46
    Posts
    17,397
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Patel's getting an easy time from the press IMO. This is someone who was trying to divert AID money intended supposedly for some of the poorest people on the planet and she's trying to give it to an army, the 5th biggest army (%ofGDP) in the world?? An army who have a, let's say, mixed reputation. ****bag, but the story is about weak divided Tories, instead of what it should be, evil ******* Tories.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved