hibs.net Messageboard

Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 29373839
Results 1,141 to 1,155 of 1155

Thread: Tories

Quote Originally Posted by Glory Lurker View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Supporters of left and right of Labour, on a thread about Tories, debating how to win middle England on policy areas that don't apply to Scotland. Crikey.
    Middle England would be bypassed by a Labour-SNP-Lib coalition.

Labour policy on the House of Lords seems custom designed to accomodate such an eventuality.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    To be better than our neighbours??

Bit harsh isnt it.

Maybe, just maybe, people want to better themselves and have something tangible for their lifes work to pass on to their children.

Its hugely popular because it was a great policy that lifted many working class people into home ownership they otherwise would never have had.

I suspect people on the left hate it so much because they know just how much damage it has done to the left in the UK ever since.
    The chickens are certainly coming home to roost now though. It's got to the stage where solutions that were once considered radical (huge social housing programs etc...) are now considered a necessity and are even being flirted with by the right. It does make you wonder where this desirable "middle ground" actually is now when you consider the pressures being put on people who were once immune to them... and I'm not just talking about housing.

I understand your point about house ownership but it's telling that we automatically equate people bettering themselves with something tangible. Call me naive but shouldn't we be aiming for something better than that?

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The chickens are certainly coming home to roost now though. It's got to the stage where solutions that were once considered radical (huge social housing programs etc...) are now considered a necessity and are even being flirted with by the right. It does make you wonder where this desirable "middle ground" actually is now when you consider the pressures being put on people who were once immune to them... and I'm not just talking about housing.

I understand your point about house ownership but it's telling that we automatically equate people bettering themselves with something tangible. Call me naive but shouldn't we be aiming for something better than that?
    Possibly mate, such as? A house is a fundamental thing, its not like a car. Plus, ex council houses arent exactly luxurious.

I agree there has been a problem in the 30 odd years since, but failures over 30 years of housing policy dont make right to buy wrong.

Also, i think there has been an explosion in demand that would have been hard to keep up with - single person occupancy must be way higher than it used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    Possibly mate, such as? A house is a fundamental thing, its not like a car. Plus, ex council houses arent exactly luxurious.

I agree there has been a problem in the 30 odd years since, but failures over 30 years of housing policy dont make right to buy wrong.

Also, i think there has been an explosion in demand that would have been hard to keep up with - single person occupancy must be way higher than it used to be.
    Council housing from the post war period was a vast improvement on the utter crap that private landlords had forced working people to live in. It was progressively undermined for self centred ideological reasons by the Tories in the 50s and 70s.

Ruth Davidson giving it "put up or shut up" to anti-May faction. I wonder when she'll make her own move for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Glory Lurker View Post
    Ruth Davidson giving it "put up or shut up" to anti-May faction. I wonder when she'll make her own move for the job.
    Government falls. Election called. RD stands and gains a seat. Labour/SNP government. Leadership election in Tory party. RD is leader with the time and space to reform the unbred, self serving shower of ****ers and kick Borisís teeth in round the back of the Palace of Westminster.

Job done.

There is significant demand now for affordable private rented accommodation which is why new consortia of builders and funders are getting together to build specifically for that purpose. We certainly need a lot more homes - and they need to be mixed tenure and of different types and sizes across different parts of the country.

Right to Buy was probably the single biggest redistributive policy the country has ever seen. Pity it wasn't accompanied by a parallel build to replace programme.

Planning and land supply are probably one of the two main pillars of constraint in our housing system, along with funding. Any scarcity forces up price - there's a reason why people land bank.

We need to be careful to distinguish between homelessness and rough sleeping - they're not the same thing.

@hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    The tories seem to have lost £490Billion off the books, it looks like the UK gov have cocked up again.

Strong and Stable.

https://t.co/3fWzi1XlEm

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    The tories seem to have lost £490Billion off the books, it looks like the UK gov have cocked up again.

Strong and Stable.

It's with the Hamilton Accies money...

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    It's with the Hamilton Accies money...
    Bang goes that plan for Britannia 2.

@hibs.net private member Golden Fleece's Avatar
    Bang goes that plan for Britannia 2.
    No, Brittania 2 is safe as is HS2 Crossrail etc. It is the NHS and benefits that will have to foot the bill.

In other news I see Douglas Ross will miss the debate and vote on Universal Credit at Wesminster by playing away in Barcelons. Priorities eh?
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

@hibs.net private member

Strong and Stable.

As suspected the usual poor standard of reporting and understanding on these type of figures just causes confusion...

https://reaction.life/has-a-quarter-...isappeared-no/

Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    As suspected the usual poor standard of reporting and understanding on these type of figures just causes confusion...

https://reaction.life/has-a-quarter-...isappeared-no/
    I'd rather follow a "real" economist, rather than Iain Martin.

http://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2...has-done-awol/

@hibs.net private member
    I'd rather follow a "real" economist, rather than Iain Martin.

http://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2...has-done-awol/
    And he states "And that makes this half a story, at best"

The premise of the original link was connecting technical data on corporate profits and investment flows to GDP which was fundamentally incorrect. It also stated that Britain no longer had a "reserve of foreign assets" which was also incorrect, if it even means anything at all. Finally it finished off with another random GDP figure for Brexit which again cannot be connected directly to the stats the article was based on.

Mhariís calling them out on their record.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41388022

For the Tories, all this self-generated Brexit crap is a Godsend in allowing them to divert attention from their record of economic incompetance.