hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hibs always in East @ Dumpden ?

Why are we always given the East and never the West Stand (unless we play Celtic)?

(not that it matters much, but why?)

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by BullsCloseHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why are we always given the East and never the West Stand (unless we play Celtic)?

(not that it matters much, but why?)
    Easier to get us out and away at the end?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Sums up Scottish football when two of the teams have their "own" ends at the national stadium. If the east is easier for us then we should be given it when we play Celtic too. And don't get me started on the fact the split means you could play one team away 3 times or home three times unless of course it's the Old Firm who are guaranteed to have two home games each when they play against one another.

Does it make a difference? Personally prefer the east with easier access

Happy to have the David Gray end for good now.

Interesting post. I had some business colleagues over from the states last week. I decided to book them a tour of hampden seeing our recent cup win was a big delight to them. When the hampden tour guide took us through the museum and out to the park the first thing she said was "This is the Celtic end and this is the rangers send" I then asked I didn't realise it was both there stadiums , here reply was "These 2 clubs are her the most and have always had these ends" couldn't believe what I was hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Enough said View Post
    Interesting post. I had some business colleagues over from the states last week. I decided to book them a tour of hampden seeing our recent cup win was a big delight to them. When the hampden tour guide took us through the museum and out to the park the first thing she said was "This is the Celtic end and this is the rangers send" I then asked I didn't realise it was both there stadiums , here reply was "These 2 clubs are her the most and have always had these ends" couldn't believe what I was hearing.
    I would complain about that - absolute farce if an official Hampden tour guide.

Quote Originally Posted by City of Green View Post
    The dressing rooms are always the same for the old firm as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does this same sort of thing happen at Wembley for Man Utd etc. This sums up the sfa for you tho

Quote Originally Posted by City of Green View Post
    Went on the tour probably about 10 years ago, spouted the exact same old firm pish then as well

This may be an urban myth, but the reason there's a difference is that when Hampden was being "renovated" a while back the SFA asked both OF teams to contribute to the costs. Only Rangers ponied up so they got what was then the covered end.

It's surely about time the East end of Hampden was re-named the Hibs end?

We don't always get the east end. As for rangers and celtic being at Hampden more often, that was only true with the old rangers last century. I am sure only celtic have been at Hampden more often than Hibs this century. So maybe they need to think about a Hibs end and celtic end.

Quote Originally Posted by Vini1875 View Post
    We don't always get the east end. As for rangers and celtic being at Hampden more often, that was only true with the old rangers last century. I am sure only celtic have been at Hampden more often than Hibs this century. So maybe they need to think about a Hibs end and celtic end.

We get East almost ALWAYS.

Skol cup final east

Vs Livy east

Vs Hertz east

Vs Huns east

Vs Dons (semi) east

And on and on......

So how come it'll be easier for us in the forthcoming semi to get to the East than Aberdeen fans?

I remember being in the west for a SC semi 2-1 loss to Dundee utd around ten/twelve years ago.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
    I remember being in the west for a SC semi 2-1 loss to Dundee utd around ten/twelve years ago.
    We were in the west when de boer missed his pen I think.

Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    This may be an urban myth, but the reason there's a difference is that when Hampden was being "renovated" a while back the SFA asked both OF teams to contribute to the costs. Only Rangers ponied up so they got what was then the covered end.
    That's the story I heard too

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 660 View Post
    We were in the west when de boer missed his pen I think.
    Definitely East that night.

We were in the West for the semi v the Arabs in 2005 and the semi v Livi in 2001.

The old firm are usually involved at Hampden at some point in most seasons and many of their 'fans' have bought debenture seats to guarantee them a ticket. Given their seats will be in one or other halfs of the South stand it would make sense to keep their ends the same each time otherwise you'd be sitting them with the opposition fans 😊. It just seems daft to get fans from Edinburgh travelling all the way through Glasgow and back again when there's a slip road off the new motorway within walking distance. Kind of sums up Scottish football though.

FTR, I loathe Hampden - and Glasgow more so.

That is all.

I actually prefer the David Gray and but Celtic and Rangers having their own end is exactly what is wrong with football in this country. Celtic are a Glasgow club so shouldn't make a difference if they are in the West side of Hampden when playing us. They won't be though against us or Aberdeen. Now we've won the Scottish cup at Hampden the sooner they flatten it and move to Murrayfeild the better.

First Team Breakthrough
    I think there's thinly veiled sectarian issues at work in this scenario.

In the eyes of the west coast dominated administrators we're seen as Celtic's cousins while Hearts are similarly related to Rangers. So we get the East while Hearts get the West.

Pathetic, I know, but it's the weegie mindset we're talking about here.

For what it's worth I'm all for referring to the East as the David Gray end from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by monarch View Post
    I think there's thinly veiled sectarian issues at work in this scenario. In the eyes of the west coast dominated administrators we're seen as Celtic's cousins while Hearts are similarly related to Rangers. So we get the East while Hearts get the West.

Pathetic, I know, but it's the weegie mindset we're talking about here.
    Back in the Seventies we used to share the same end with the 'Tic - did we not. Anyone remember the 'stoor' and Export cans fu' o' pish?

Quote Originally Posted by RIP View Post
    Back in the Seventies we used to share the same end with the 'Tic - did we not. Anyone remember the 'stoor' and Export cans fu' o' pish?
    That was pre segregation though, macarooon bars, spearmint chewin' gum days.

GGTTH
    Scottish Cup Winners 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    Definitely East that night.

We were in the West for the semi v the Arabs in 2005 and the semi v Livi in 2001.
    And in the west stand for the league cup semi final game against Ayr in 2002.

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Craigmount Hibs View Post
    Don't remind me!

Like another poster said. I think that the reason for this has its roots in sectarianism.

It would appear (that with the very infrequent occasion) celtc always get the east. We always get the east except against celtc. And Dundee utd (i'm told - again with the odd exception) always get the east unless its celtc or Hibernian.

It's not such a big deal now but back before Hampdumps redevelopment. Then those no good uppity taig types could stand in the open uncovered end and deal with the elements.
    Not only that but i believe it handed the other team an advantage. Covered ends are much louder, so if there is any truth to the notion that a team can be roared onto success then it would be fair to say the team who's fans were in the covered end were given an advantage.
    Its an irrelevance now i suppose. And no doubt the SFA would deny any claims of previous sectarianism and just suggest it was 'traditional'. (Aye...'traditional' like those 'folk bands' who stagger about the central belt of Scotland throughout the summer).

Quote Originally Posted by Thegreenside View Post
    Does this same sort of thing happen at Wembley for Man Utd etc. This sums up the sfa for you tho
    Agreed. Only 2 clubs they are bothered about, everybody else is just there to make up the numbers as far as their concerned.

I'm happy to be in the east because its the only one of the three ordinary stands where you can get out for a fag at half time

That aside there's no doubt whatsoever that we are given the Sir David Gray end because in the eyes of the SFA that's the non lodge end .... sad but true IMO.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Craigmount Hibs View Post
    Forgot about that....didn't actually go through.