hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: NHC David Moyes

As much as I dislike the man and it was an utterly stupid thing to say - he has apologised.

From what I saw, the apology was sincere and accepted accordingly.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Depends how you define 'light hearted joke'. Personally I'd be mortified if I was Moyes and I let that comment slip out because of how it could be perceived. Violence against women is a serious business. But apology made, everyone should leave it at that.
    This.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    So if Jason Cummings tries to chip a penalty in the upcoming semi, misses and Neil Lennon is quoted afterwards as saying "I think I'll kill him if he does that again", then I suppose NL will be up for an attempted murder charge or similar shortly after?
    If Jason does that again I will beat Lennon to the murder charge. Aye Jason, that is a threat. 😉

Elephant Stone
    Left by mutual consent!
    Having listened to the clip I don't think it's a major issue but I do think it was unpleasant, bordering on creepy.

Dan, 25, Edinburgh
    PC Offended Brigade, 2nd Division.

If I suggested to any of my female colleagues at work that "they might get a little slap" because I objected to something they'd done or said then I'd quite rightly be in trouble. No matter the context, it certainly wouldn't be written off as harmless 'banter'.

A lot of you are saying it is done in a light-hearted manner - well, for starters, it wasn't funny, was totally uncalled for and was clearly done in a passive/aggressive way. The female reporter did indeed laugh, but more in a nervous way than as if she had been tickled by what Moyes has said. For that reason, and the fact he would never say that sort of of thing to a male reporter, I deem Moyes' comments to be sexist, not to mention downright idiotic. Unfortunately it's the sort of thing that rears its ugly head in the game from time to time, although I would say football has made good strides in this respect.

He has apologised and the reporter has accepted his apology, so that's good. But I don't get why some people equate being offended by this (as I was) as making you a member of some right-on "PC brigade". It's simply about treating people equally, and with respect.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    Moyes didn't tell the girl (sorry...women, cos apparently you can't say girl now, it's demeaning and offensive ) she deserved a slap.
    It's not that confusing, sonny.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Moyes played for the Pars against us in the Skol Cup Final in 1991.
    We gave them a good bitch-slapping that day.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    Thousands of people put into hardship because of benefit cuts and this light-hearted quip steals the headlines.
    I know who's doing all the laughing here.
    Perhaps. But the EPL is not in touch with reality. Moyes has apologised and that should be end of. On SSN now they are discussing his apology for no other reason than to rake over this all over again. This week in the EPL pantomime Moyes is the villan.

[QUOTE=Mibbes Aye;4999190]Moyes is a public persona and with that comes responsibility.

Three questions, NN.

Is it okay to tell a woman that she deserves a slapping?

Its not OK to tell anybody they deserve a slapping ..... I still don't see how its sexist to threaten a woman with one, perhaps misogynistic, perhaps even bullying, but not sexist.

Second question, how many men have been hospitalised as a result of domestic violence and how many women?

The point at question isn't about domestic violence, or even violence against women in general ... its whether or not threatening to hit a woman in the same circumstances where you might threaten a man with the same is sexist .... in fact the accusation of sexism here appears to be the inference by Moyes in how he phrased his statement that he was well aware that its unacceptable to hit a female because of her sex ..... that appears to be where the sexism angle comes from here. If its not I've yet to have it explained to me what the accusation of 'sexism' is about.

Finally, Moyes would have worded his statement to a male reporter differently, wouldn't he?

I have no idea, perhaps he would have ...... but what he inferred, in a clearly jocular manner, was that he would have hit a male reporter in the same circumstances .... whatever it was it was clearly a tongue in cheek comment and the lady in question seems to have been happy to treat it as such .... in fact of all the people making a big deal about this she appears to not be one of them.

The problem is male violence on women isn't a joke,it's a serious problem. It's not about PC or sexism, it's really just about women ending up in A+E or on a slab in the morgue. And it happens on a daily basis. And anything that doesn't refute it just helps it happen.[/QUOTE]

That's the point though ..... in how he said what he did ( and 'how' he said it is important to this matter ) Moyes clearly far from encouraging violence against women reinforced the widely held view by most sane people that violence against women is unacceptable ... if not in the actual words he used, but in the way he used them, its clear to anybody with a bit of common sense that his actual view on this subject is that it is unacceptable for a man to hit a woman.

The way some folk are jumping on this is starting to remind me of the case of Derek Bentley ..... its good job Moyes never said he was going to 'let her have it' or they would be stringing the poor bugger up.

To suggest anybody defending Moyes in this particular situation is encouraging violence against women is as ridiculous as suggesting what Moyes did falls under the heading of 'sexist' .... at least in my opinion.
    Last edited by NAE NOOKIE; 04-04-2017 at 04:49 PM.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    Moyes clearly far from encouraging violence against women reinforced the widely held view by most sane people that violence against women is unacceptable
    Bit of a stretch to argue that someone saying "I'd hit you even though you're a woman" is promoting the idea that violence against women is unacceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE
    To suggest anybody defending Moyes in this particular situation is encouraging violence against women is as ridiculous as suggesting what Moyes did falls under the heading of 'sexist' .... at least in my opinion.
    Agree with you that it's hard to see how threatening women is sexist. But but but ...

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    Seen the 'incident' on tonight's news ..... the comment was clearly made in a jocular manner and the reporter clearly seemed to take it in that spirit. To describe what he said as 'sexist' is total bloody nonsense ..... the only reference to the sex of the reporter was that Moyes suggested he "might still give her a slap even though she was a girl".

The last time I looked thankfully we still live in a culture where a man hitting a woman is considered a cowardly act, certainly far more than a man hitting another man would be .... to allude to that fact in what he said can hardly be considered sexist by Moyes, unless of course its now politically correct to believe that if a man doesn't punch a woman in the face in the situation where he might punch another man he is discriminating against her.

That certainly appears to be what is happening here .... if Moyes had made the same threat to a male reporter nobody would have batted an eyelid and it would have been laughed off as banter .... the only difference here is that the reporter was a woman and as far as I can make out the issue isn't that Moyes in a light hearted manner threatened to hit a reporter, but that he suggested he couldn't because she was female ....... if that's now what is considered sexist then heaven help women everywhere.
    With extra measure he could have offered to kick her in the balls as well, if she was a man.

Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    Bit of a stretch to argue that someone saying "I'd hit you even though you're a woman" is promoting the idea that violence against women is unacceptable.

Agree with you that it's hard to see how threatening women is sexist. But but but ...
    It would help if you didn't quote parts of my posts out of context mate ............ everything you have quoted here is part of a larger statement in which I explained the above statements.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I knew as soon as we started letting women come to football, this sort of thing would happen.

Leicester fans singing to Moyes 'you're getting slapped in the morning'.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Superfurry72 View Post
    If I suggested to any of my female colleagues at work that "they might get a little slap" because I objected to something they'd done or said then I'd quite rightly be in trouble. No matter the context, it certainly wouldn't be written off as harmless 'banter'.

A lot of you are saying it is done in a light-hearted manner - well, for starters, it wasn't funny, was totally uncalled for and was clearly done in a passive/aggressive way. The female reporter did indeed laugh, but more in a nervous way than as if she had been tickled by what Moyes has said. For that reason, and the fact he would never say that sort of of thing to a male reporter, I deem Moyes' comments to be sexist, not to mention downright idiotic. Unfortunately it's the sort of thing that rears its ugly head in the game from time to time, although I would say football has made good strides in this respect.

He has apologised and the reporter has accepted his apology, so that's good. But I don't get why some people equate being offended by this (as I was) as making you a member of some right-on "PC brigade". It's simply about treating people equally, and with respect.
    Is that a fact? I have no doubt male managers have told other males in football that they are close to a slap - both jokingly and not so jokingly.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Interestingly or perhaps not...I was in work 5 minutes this morning before overhearing two women chatting, one said 'well you know what men are like'.

Thoughts?

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    Interestingly or perhaps not...I was in work 5 minutes this morning before overhearing two women chatting, one said 'well you know what men are like'.

Thoughts?
    Meaningless everyday conversation commonplace about both genders are my thoughts.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post

Thoughts?
    Its just normal day to day things that folk say off the cuff. Its only really women who make a drama out of these types of things.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Pointer View Post
    As I said elsewhere, it's currently very fashionable to be offended and the fact that Moyes said it in a jocular way, the lady in question didn't think anything of it, it didn't happen at the weekend, yet some metropolitan Londoners heard of it and decided to throw their hands up in horror, just makes me wonder what it is about these people.

That's why I avoid the Grauniad.
    From BBC news website ...
    "Sunderland manager David Moyes has been charged by the Football Association after telling BBC reporter Vicki Sparks she might "get a slap"."

I really worry about where this ott pc enforcement is going. We're losing freedom of speech inch by inch, day by day.
    This is far more threatening to society than a light-hearted comment taken out of context by touchy third parties.
    While I would agree that we should continue to educate people on political correctness, this type of witch hunt actually builds up resentments and is therefore counter-productive to the problem.
    We're heading for the day when the only thing you will be allowed to say is "Yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir".

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Its just normal day to day things that folk say off the cuff. Its only really women who make a drama out of these types of things.
    That is very sexist, BH. Aren't men allowed to make a drama out of things?