hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Players 'supporting' the team they play for

All over the country and the world there are players who claim to support the team they play for and say "it's a dream come true" but then leave as soon as a bigger offer comes in. After speaking about this with a pal, I was wondering if how many of you would leave Hibs to play for Celtic or even a club in the EPL like an Everton or someone.

Personally, I genuinely think that I would stay playing for Hibs as it is the team that I genuinely support through and through. I also feel like most footballers, (maybe bar Darren Mcgregor or a story like his) never really seriously supported a club when they were younger as they would've dedicated every Saturday to playing football, rather than watching their team.

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 18Hibee75 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    All over the country and the world there are players who claim to support the team they play for and say "it's a dream come true" but then leave as soon as a bigger offer comes in. After speaking about this with a pal, I was wondering if how many of you would leave Hibs to play for Celtic or even a club in the EPL like an Everton or someone.

Personally, I genuinely think that I would stay playing for Hibs as it is the team that I genuinely support through and through. I also feel like most footballers, (maybe bar Darren Mcgregor or a story like his) never really seriously supported a club when they were younger as they would've dedicated every Saturday to playing football, rather than watching their team.

The reality is money talks though and when your career is only ever a bad tackle away from being over - and even at your very best it's likely to end about 30 years before the average man retires - it's not difficult to see why someone offering 3, 4 even 10 times your salary is taken up.

I would definitely leave for a better team and wages.

I would still support Hibs and there will be plenty time to attend games when I retire with my mega bucks from me BIG move

Quote Originally Posted by Baader View Post
    The reality is money talks though and when your career is only ever a bad tackle away from being over - and even at your very best it's likely to end about 30 years before the average man retires - it's not difficult to see why someone offering 3, 4 even 10 times your salary is taken up.
    I can certainly see the temptation.

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    I can certainly see the temptation.

Can often mean the difference between having to seek a career after football and not having to worry about money after the boots are hung up. It can't be easy.

Like you say a lot of these guys are playing when we are watching so although they can be fans they're not really comparable to the die hards who attend every week.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    How many players in our current team (British/Irish) based have known "boyhood" teams? This is who I'm aware of:

Gray: Hearts
    Hanlon: Hibs
    Fontaine: ?
    Bartley: Reading?
    McGinn: Celtic
    Fyvie: Aberdeen?
    Holt: ?
    McGeouch: Celtic
    Stanton: Hibs?
    Handling: Hibs?
    McLean: Rangers? (his brother is rumoured to be a former ST holder)
    Stevenson: Raith
    Boyle: ?
    Keatings: Celtic?
    Shinnie: Rangers
    Forster: ? (born in Gorgie but doesn't support Hearts)
    McGregor: Hibs
    Humphrey: ?
    Graham: ?
    Laidlaw: ?
    Gallacher: ?
    Harris: Hibs?
    Cummings: Hearts
    Crane: ?
    Martin: Hibs?
    Allan: ?
    Shaw: ?
    Insall: ?

I love Hibs but id leave to go to a bigger club on triple the wages 100%

I'd take the money.

Stay at Hibs on £3000 a week or go to Stoke for £40,000 a week?

I recall reading that when Celtic representatives went around to the home of Kenny Dalglish with a view to signing him, he rapidly ripped all the Rangers pictures from his bedroom walls before they arrived!

To be honest I'd watch another team every week if they gave me 10 times my salary. I'd still support Hibs but money talks.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

You are right and to be honest I think even Darren would say the same about his boys football days - every Saturday is focused on your own football so the club you support fades into the background somewhat. However, it is a nice narrative when signing for a club to be able to say you support them, and if you have grown up in the local community there are obvious social and emotional ties regardless. You have to look at the bigger picture for players, particularly in Scotland, where for the vast majority the money on offer over a short career is not going to set you (and your family) up for life. However, a move to Rangers/Celtic or beyond could. Feelings for a particular club can't take precedence over a person's career and future financial security IMO, great as it is seeing guys like Griffiths, Daz and Deek line up for Hibs!

First Team Breakthrough
    Would 100% take the money. I love my job but if someone was offering me twice the money it's a no brainer and any one who says no is lying. At the end of the day footballers want to do the best for their families and earn more for themselves as well. It is their living after all.

If a club , and any club for that matter , offered me 5 times the wages that Hibs were offering me I would sign for them in a heartbeat. At the end of the day its a career and it would not stop me from supporting the club my playing career finished in your mid 30s.

Coaching Staff
    I think I'd draw the line at playing for Rangers. Maybe Hearts too.

@hibs.net private member The Sundance Kid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RagingReality View Post
    How many players in our current team (British/Irish) based have known "boyhood" teams? This is who I'm aware of:

Fontaine: ?
    Bartley: Reading?
    Fyvie: Aberdeen?
    Holt: ?
    Handling: Hibs?
    Boyle: ?
    Shinnie: Rangers
    Forster: ? (born in Gorgie but doesn't support Hearts)
    Graham: ?
    Martin: Hibs?
    Shaw: ?
    Fontaine is a Crystal Palace fan, Bartley's Arsenal, Holt I'm guessing is Carlisle, Handling was a Rangers fan growing up, Boyle and Shinnie I think were both Aberdeen fans, Forster was definitely a Celtic fan, think Graham is as well and Shaw is a Hibee. Don't know about the rest

Scott Martin is from Glasgow so dont imagine he is a Hibee.

@hibs.net private member The Sundance Kid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Pretty sure he's a Celtic fan going by his Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    He's a Septic fan.

Fyvie and Boyle both grew up as Aberdeen supporters.

First Team Breakthrough
    Thought I'd read somewhere Martin Boyle's family were jambos?

@hibs.net private member HiBremian's Avatar
    Simple calculation. Sign for Hibs as a teenager, as my value rockets agree to a 4 year contract at the age of 20. Sign a 4 year deal for Barcelona at age 22 on £100k a week, netting Hibs a juicy £8m transfer fee. Stash away 50% of my post-tax earnings, let the contract run down, and sign again for Hibs on a free at 26 when I'm at the peak of my powers. Live off the pension pot I've created at Barca for the rest of my life and become a Hibs legend. Oh, and never have to buy a pint again. :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Steve Bull ..... end of story.

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    I think I'd draw the line at playing for Rangers. Maybe Hearts too.
    As did my son and I

When he was a young boy Hearts asked him to train with them and before I could even say no he did!

I was also asked to get involved with coaching their youth teams about 15 years ago and declined.

I couldn't face the thought of someone I had helped develop helping them in any shape or form

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Updated.

Fontaine: Crystal Palace
    Bartley: Arsenal
    Fyvie: Aberdeen
    Holt: Carlisle
    Handling: Rangers
    Boyle: Aberdeen
    Shinnie: Aberdeen
    Forster: Celtic
    Graham: Celtic
    Martin: Celtic
    Shaw: Hibs

For the right offer to a club outwith Scotland, I'd be off in a shot.

Otherwise, no way.

@hibs.net private member
    As soon as you become a professional footballer, it becomes your career, your job....you will have a different relationship with the game than any fan...they don't go to "training" they go to "work".

All of them have to do the best to play at the highest level they can and to secure their future through their earnings as much as possible....

No professional player at Scottish level can afford to turn down 3-5+ times this earnings from any club, Scotland or anywhere else...it's their duty to their family and themselves.

Anyone who says they wouldn't leave Hibs for any other club is dreaming. When it's a job you won't think like that...also don't forget when Hibs are finished with you, they won't care that you were a fan....

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post

it's a real toughie eh

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    As soon as you become a professional footballer, it becomes your career, your job....you will have a different relationship with the game than any fan...they don't go to "training" they go to "work".

All of them have to do the best to play at the highest level they can and to secure their future through their earnings as much as possible....

No professional player at Scottish level can afford to turn down 3-5+ times this earnings from any club, Scotland or anywhere else...it's their duty to their family and themselves.

Anyone who says they wouldn't leave Hibs for any other club is dreaming. When it's a job you won't think like that...also don't forget when Hibs are finished with you, they won't care that you were a fan....

Exactimondo. Business is business - both ways (unfortunately).

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post

This is why we're missing sitters.Too many personal problems occupying their brains.

Not going to pretend I'd serve my whole career at Hibs if I had all the talent in the world.

I can 100% guarantee I would never sign for Rangers though.