hibs.net Messageboard

First Team Breakthrough

Hamilton 0 Hibs 2 1999 (promotion)

18 years to the day on 3rd April 1999. I recall invading the pitch at the final whistle. Nobody was subsequently tracked down by the police !
    A double from latapty missing out on a hat trick with a penalty saved. Good memories

https://youtu.be/YfCKguT3fAM
    Last edited by BroxburnHibee; 03-04-2017 at 02:39 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough
    Cant get link to work but its there on you tube. Great goals by Latapy. Game was played at Firhill
    Last edited by 2belhaven; 03-04-2017 at 01:08 PM.

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    I had to work that weekend so couldn't make it up. My Dad and brother were at the game, (and were both on the pitch at FT).

No fights or arrests. Shaun Dennis reduced to his jock strap though by all accounts as he gave away every stitch of clothing to fans.

J

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    We took a big crowd through to Firrhill although we weren't expected to win it that day. We had to win and rely on Morton beating Falkirk against the odds which they did.

Latapy the magician

Remember it quite well, which is strange, as often I can barely remember 2 days ago :)

Remember the tannoy? "Hibs fans must not enter the field at the whistle"

Right then...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We took a big crowd through to Firrhill although we weren't expected to win it that day. We had to win and rely on Morton beating Falkirk against the odds which they did.
    Was it not cowdenbeath?

Keith Wright scored the goal.

2:22

Us singing YNWA?

Great day. Proper old school as well with the Falkirk result being shouted out by guys with radios to their ear.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    Was it not cowdenbeath?

Keith Wright scored the goal.
    Definitely Falkirk 2 Morton 3. Yeah I'm sure Keith did score.

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CathroMustStay View Post
    2:22

Us singing YNWA?
    Sure we sung it when we won 6-2 also and throughout the 90s.
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

Was a memorable day, after a dodgy start including losing to Stranraer, it was never in doubt, and we came back up with a lot of momentum. I, along with most people was on the pitch.

I was there with my kids and waited roughly ten minutes for the pitch invaders to leave the pitch, presuming the team would do a lap of honour.

Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    I was there with my kids and waited roughly ten minutes for the pitch invaders to leave the pitch, presuming the team would do a lap of honour.
    If memory serves me correctly the team were allowed back out after the pitch cleared. Sure I remember them coming out with the 'Back....' t shirts on.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Clubs all over the country have had pitch invasions. The difference with ours was the huns and their snivelling wee pals in the media stirred it up as much as possible to deflect from the real story of the day - their beloved rangers blew a lead in the cup final.

Please though, if (when) we win the league, STAY OFF THE PITCH. We don't need any more negative headlines.

Quote Originally Posted by 21.05.2016 View Post
    Clubs all over the country have had pitch invasions. The difference with ours was the huns and their snivelling wee pals in the media stirred it up as much as possible to deflect from the real story of the day - their beloved rangers blew a lead in the cup final.

Please though, if (when) we win the league, STAY OFF THE PITCH. We don't need any more negative headlines.
    I feel like a pitch invasion is inevitable with some of our fan base and once the first few go the rest will follow. I think we'll win the league at home so hopefully the message can be put across loud and clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    If memory serves me correctly the team were allowed back out after the pitch cleared. Sure I remember them coming out with the 'Back....' t shirts on.

They eventually did, yes, but I had two small kids and they were well bored of waiting by the time we left.

Not being able to foretell the future, it was impossible to know how long it would take to get the pitch cleared.

I remember that game so well. During the invasion, I was part of a large circle of fans dancing and singing "Mixu Paatelainen, what a $%&ing signing" which was all the better because Mixu was part of the circle and was singing at the top of his voice
    This is how it feels

Only time I've "invaded the pitch" after a game and at 40 year old at the time, felt a bit embarrassed. Don't know why though. The team did come back out to acknowledge the fans. Thinking back, if was 21/5/16 on a much smaller scale with none of the follow up crap trying to hunt us all down.

Knew there was half a chance we could win the title that afternoon depending on results but as I recall it was actually expected we'd win it the next again week at Raith. That turned into a Championes celebration. Beat them easily 3-0.

Happy days.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    I remember that game so well. During the invasion, I was part of a large circle of fans dancing and singing "Mixu Paatelainen, what a $%&ing signing" which was all the better because Mixu was part of the circle and was singing at the top of his voice
    I recall having a good chuckle as Simon Wallace patiently explained to one of the stewards that there was absolutely no chance of him, or the rest of the main stand not entering the pitch at full time and that he should simply accept it was going to happen. To be fair, they offered no resistance and the "invasion" was terribly civilised (women and children first ; "No, after you!").

Question is John - if you were on the pitch and I was on the pitch, who was doing the on-line commentary?

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Great day. Proper old school as well with the Falkirk result being shouted out by guys with radios to their ear.
    :ts tsk:old school was the wireless yer Ma would tell you that

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregor View Post
    I recall having a good chuckle as Simon Wallace patiently explained to one of the stewards that there was absolutely no chance of him, or the rest of the main stand not entering the pitch at full time and that he should simply accept it was going to happen. To be fair, they offered no resistance and the "invasion" was terribly civilised (women and children first ; "No, after you!").

Question is John - if you were on the pitch and I was on the pitch, who was doing the on-line commentary?
    Serious question.....what does invading the pitch do for anyone?

Never tried it myself you see, and not sure what I may have been missing out on.

Quote Originally Posted by lugz View Post
    I feel like a pitch invasion is inevitable with some of our fan base and once the first few go the rest will follow. I think we'll win the league at home so hopefully the message can be put across loud and clear.
    I too recall that day and I was 45 years old, and told by a steward that we were not going on the park. just laughed as we breezed past him at the end of the match and met an old friend (respectable councillor at the centre circle) that day.If we win the Scottish again, I might just do it again for the fun of it

Quote Originally Posted by monktonharp View Post
    I too recall that day and I was 45 years old, and told by a steward that we were not going on the park. just laughed as we breezed past him at the end of the match and met an old friend (respectable councillor at the centre circle) that day.If we win the Scottish again, I might just do it again for the fun of it
    I was only 12 at that game and my uncles said not to run on the pitch they looked away for 2 secs and I was off haha.

I still have a small piece of the turf from that day plus the programme signed by Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post

Never tried it myself you see, and not sure what I may have been missing out on.
    I think the cup final for me it was just being able to run about like a headless chicken hugging the players. Will never forget it!

Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post

IIRC it was less of an invasion and more of a saunter. Folk just wandered onto the turf. Myself and the wife had no intention, but then everybody else was doing it. I think there was an assumption that the players would pop out and we'd miss something. It was also quite amusing to bump into folk wandering about the park doing the same thing. Felt right at the time. Wouldn't have done it at Hampden though.

Interesting to note that last year the majority of folk never ventured past the half-way line (and this is long before the polis and stewards came onto the park) ; a pretty fair acknowledgement of where the boundaries lay. Sadly, a few rockets got involved and it all went to s^&*.

Quote Originally Posted by 2belhaven View Post
    18 years to the day on 3rd April 1999. I recall invading the pitch at the final whistle. Nobody was subsequently tracked down by the police !
    A double from latapty missing out on a hat trick with a penalty saved. Good memories

https://youtu.be/YfCKguT3fAM
    The pitch invasion spoiled the celebrations for me that day. Just saying.