hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 91 to 114 of 114

Thread: War with Spain

  1. #91
    @hibs.net private member allmodcons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,070
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So do you not have that answer then?
    Quality response!

    Maybe your beloved Conservative Government could start by making a serious attempt to take back some of the 40 billion that's lost every year because of tax evasion by the very well off.

    Maybe they could spend less money on defence, in particular, a leased nuclear defence system that costs billions and IMO serves little or no purpose against the security threats our country faces.

    I don't have all the answers but one thing I know for sure is that, in times of austerity, this Conservative Government has been happy to hammer the weakest in our society whilst handing out tax cuts to people (like you and me) who, quite simply, do not need them.

    If that's the kind of society you want then that's your prerogative but it's not for me.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #92
    @hibs.net private member allmodcons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,070
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So do you not have that answer then? Do you not then think that makes the policy proposition a little flimsy.

    I take your point on looking beyond my front door, but that doesn't mean i shpuld look at somebody with a nicer house, amd demand i get some of that because its unfair.
    Last post from me today (too busy).

    You and I are so far apart it's almost funny.

    You should look beyond your front door at the family who doesn't have a house and think what could I do to make things fairer.
    Last edited by allmodcons; 03-04-2017 at 01:32 PM.

  4. #93
    Testimonial Due
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,028
    Quote Originally Posted by allmodcons View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Last post from me today (too busy).

    You and I are so far apart it's almost funny.

    You should look beyond your front at the family who doesn't have a house and think what could I do make things fairer.
    Lets just agree to disagree mate!

  5. #94
    @hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The 'Mains
    Posts
    2,758
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Westminster holds macro economic powers, but they do not hold fhe purse strings of NHS Scotland as you well know. So no, not rocket science, just not true.
    Actually that's not right...

    "Much of Scotland's budget for public services is funded by a "block grant"

    Since 1998 the Scottish government has had full control over how much of its overall budget for public services it spends on the NHS in Scotland. What it can't currently control, however, is the size of this overall budget, which depends on the level of spending on the equivalent services in England."


    Edit... Actually, maybe that's what you are actually saying! Lol


    Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    "The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
    --Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback & sports analyst.

  6. #95
    @hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Down East
    Posts
    9,934
    Blog Entries
    1
    May Laughs Off Spain 'War' Talk.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39475127
    Is oor Theresa no' a big hoot! It's great to have a PM that can laugh about a wee thing like war.
    Stop it Theresa - oh ma sides.

  7. #96
    First Team Breakthrough
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    485
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    May Laughs Off Spain 'War' Talk.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39475127
    Is oor Theresa no' a big hoot! It's great to have a PM that can laugh about a wee thing like war.
    Stop it Theresa - oh ma sides.
    She is giving the talk of war the respect is deserves by laughing at it or would you like her to give these comments made be a house of lords peer more credibility?

  8. #97
    Coaching Staff The Green Goblin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Lisbon
    Posts
    5,898
    I'm surprised she had the time to mention it at all, what with the cosy visit to Saudi Arabia and cutting bereavement benefits. Still, at least she's getting on with the day job...

  9. #98
    Old Codger Hibstorian Jonnyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    East Lothian
    Age
    65
    Posts
    30,551
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not defending Howard - what he said was ridiculous.

    But just to be the contrary voice in this Scottish Nationalist echo-chamber...

    The Govt havent said this, it was a peer, and not former PM as someone earlier said.

    I know peers are also in govt, but i dont think Howard is - although i stand to.be corrected on that.

    I also find it slightly odd that people are slamming the UK govt for this, despite.it not being them that said it, but not condemning the EU for bringing this.into the debate.

    Anyway, if this whole process leadd to us, and Gib leaving the UK i would watch out if i were Spain - im sure England will become Catalunya's biggest supporter in its quest for self determination!!

    In all seriousness, i find it all quite depressing that this has happened, but i think Spain / EU have a lot to answer for for conflating the two issues.
    True, but he's still considered to be a leading figure in the Tory party and as such, the PM should have slapped his remarks down rather than laughing at them when asked about it by the press
    This is how it feels

  10. #99
    Testimonial Due
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,028
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    True, but he's still considered to be a leading figure in the Tory party and as such, the PM should have slapped his remarks down rather than laughing at them when asked about it by the press
    Yeah i agree she should have slapped him down, very publically.

    I wasn't trying to defend him, just calling out some of the disinformation that people use.

  11. #100
    It's ok. Theresa May is dealing with the big issues such as what Cadburys call their annual egg hunt.
    I fell in love with football as I was later to fall in love with women,. Suddenly, uncritically giving no thought to the pain it could bring. - Nick Hornby

  12. #101
    Coaching Staff steakbake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Gate 38
    Posts
    7,614
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's ok. Theresa May is dealing with the big issues such as what Cadburys call their annual egg hunt.
    ...after stepping off the plane from our new apparent business partners, the Saudis. Lots of lovely weapons to sell them to continue the murder of Yemen and subjugation of their people.

  13. #102
    Coaching Staff The Green Goblin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Lisbon
    Posts
    5,898
    Quote Originally Posted by steakbake View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...after stepping off the plane from our new apparent business partners, the Saudis. Lots of lovely weapons to sell them to continue the murder of Yemen and subjugation of their people.
    Trump, Erdogan and the Saudis. Who needs the EU when we can deal with these guys? Makes me so proud.

  14. #103
    @hibs.net private member wpj's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    london
    Age
    52
    Posts
    1,986
    I see the sun have responded with a measured diplomatic response to Spain, salivating at the thought of Britain ruling the waves again

  15. #104
    @hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    19,432
    Quote Originally Posted by wpj View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I see the sun have responded with a measured diplomatic response to Spain, salivating at the thought of Britain ruling the waves again
    ...whilst, on the same page, advertising cheap Holidays in the Sun.....in Spain.

  16. #105
    @hibs.net private member Golden Fleece's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    between a brewery & distillery
    Posts
    11,280
    I have friends who moved to Spain last month to live permanently, I'll need to ask which side they will be on. Both have military backgrounds so I think I know the answer

    They are living in a gated community with golf course and Irish Pub!!!
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

  17. #106
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,196
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have friends who moved to Spain last month to live permanently, I'll need to ask which side they will be on. Both have military backgrounds so I think I know the answer

    They are living in a gated community with golf course and Irish Pub!!!
    Did they take their yacht?

    https://t.co/acxWeieEqM

  18. #107
    @hibs.net private member Golden Fleece's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    between a brewery & distillery
    Posts
    11,280
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did they take their yacht?

    https://t.co/acxWeieEqM
    OH NO!! It's started. What is the term, Gunboat Diplomacy ??
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

  19. #108
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,196
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    OH NO!! It's started. What is the term, Gunboat Diplomacy ??
    I always thought Nato member countries were welcome in other Nato countries waters too.

  20. #109
    Testimonial Due
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,028
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I always thought Nato member countries were welcome in other Nato countries waters too.
    Juat ask Greece and Turkey!!

  21. #110
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,196
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Juat ask Greece and Turkey!!
    I wish .net would provide a tongue in cheek smiley.

  22. #111
    @hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    19,432
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wish .net would provide a tongue in cheek smiley.
    We've got a submarine one.

    Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

  23. #112
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,196
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We've got a submarine one.

    Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk
    Ah, Vladimir, those were the days.

  24. #113
    Coaching Staff heretoday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Corstorphine
    Posts
    9,107
    We shall fight them on the beaches.....

  25. #114
    @hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Down East
    Posts
    9,934
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We shall fight them on the beaches.....
    I like the cut of your Gib.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved