hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stevenson

Quote Originally Posted by bob12345 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thought Considine had been their regular left back for quite a while.
    Yes checked with a mate,consdine is regular LB.👍

2. Log in to remove the advert

This is tiresome on here it really is...after every match we don't win the Lewis bashing brigade come out...as many have already said he is the least of our concerns at present

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Nobody says that wee Lewis has a stormer every week but in terms of commitment and application it would be great if he was our worst player. Our longest serving player has had a fair run if he is getting picked on sentiment.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cam75 View Post
    Are you sure,his best position is LB I'm sure they had him at mid because of injuries but now LB?

I could be wrong just what's Aberdeen friends have said?

Ggtth
    yip played there for well over a year now im sure

Played realy well last two games. Was one shocking cross in the second half when in a good position yesterday, he was far from the only one to spurn a decent opportunity though.

First Team Breakthrough
    I have been to most games this season, and don't remember any winger getting the better of Lewis. Played as a full back he is one of the best around. Also covers for the centre backs very well when teams break on us. You would have to spend a lot more cash on wages to bring in better.

Stevenson is solid and dependable and you know your getting 100% percent from him every week. However , if we can identify someone who can add more to the team , and I don't doubt there will be players out there within our budget who can , then I wouldn't shed any tears if he moved on.

He is neither the weak link in the side or someone who is vital to the team or one of our most important players. The truth is he is somewhere in between.

I agree with those who think Lewis is an excellent defender who's tidy in possession. He is also calm, experienced, a model pro and rarely injured. I've been disappointed with his final ball near the opposition penalty area though.

Couple of things to bear in mind IMHO:

Firstly - I think our lack of genuine wide players with a bit of pace while Lewis has played left back has put a lot more responsibility on our full-backs to be the attacking threat in wide areas and our main "out ball". Perhaps if we bring in a quality winger or two our style would suit Lewis more in that he could concentrate on the things he is very good at.

Secondly - the defensive abilities of our full-backs will be required more in the top league than they have been of late. Maybe the things Lewis brings to the team will be more suited to the top league than to the Championship?

Quote Originally Posted by PiemanP View Post
    Cup winning sentiment aside If we have any ambition about finishing top 4 next season he can't be our regular left back. He gives 110% yes, but he can't put in a cross, beat a man, or has any real pace.

The top teams in the SPL all have full backs with genuine attacking threat (Tierny, Shinnie, Wallace, Patterson, Tavanier). Stevenson offers us nothing. Time for Lennon to be ruthless and get rid.09
    Honestly that's a ridiculous post. What makes you post that? Stevenson has been terrific this season and is the last person who needs replaced.
    Try supporting our players.

Something tells me that when we start off in the top league having had an excellent season from our defence we really shouldn't repace half of it.Incidentally Stevenson's crossing is no worse that our attacking players.It's the lack of targets for the crosses,in particular the lack of midfielders bursting a gut to get in the box, that's the problem.

@hibs.net private member GreenLake's Avatar
    It won't be easy to sign a better player than Lewis with the money we have to spend.

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    Living legend who will be talked about long after he hangs up his halo.

Long live Lewis Stevenson.
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

Blog Entries
    I just watched highlights & Lewis produced a lovely piece of football & a great cross which I'm afraid SJM made a bit of a mess of. SJM acknowledged the error which is more than most posters do on here when discussing Lewis.

Cup winning sentiment aside If we have any ambition about finishing top 4 next season he can't be our regular left back. He gives 110% yes, but he can't put in a cross, beat a man, or has any real pace.

The top teams in the SPL all have full backs with genuine attacking threat (Tierny, Shinnie, Wallace, Patterson, Tavanier). Stevenson offers us nothing. Time for Lennon to be ruthless and get rid.09

Unfortunately comments like this give credence to the term 'leith junkie' smh

First Team Breakthrough
    Full Backs should be the first area we look at, it's our weakest.
    Stevenson over the past few months has actually impressed a lot and I think it's more a new right back we need. He may be our Scottish Cup winning captain but if he plays next season it's a liability imo.
    We should have tried harder to pick up Gunnarsson this season, we should try and get Richard Tait from Mwell, very good full back that gets assists on a regular basis and can also defend.

Our defence is our weakest area?
    Easy up on the lunchtime bevy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patterson wont be at Hearts, Shinnie is a midfielder now, Wallace and Tavarnier are utterly hopeless defenders. Stevenson beats plenty of players, has good pace and has played plenty of good crosses this season.

Fraser Aird ripped Wallace to bits and didn't get past Lewis once...

The worst part is suggesting to ''get rid''...Lewis is an absolute legend, you don't just ''get rid'' of guys like that, especially ones as good as Lewis.

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Behave yourself. The examples you've offered as a comparison made me chuckle though

His crossing can be a bit suspect at times but he's defiantly good enough for us. Works his arse off every single game, has the heart and the passion and from what I hear, constantly goes the extra mile off the pitch to keep improving. Yes, I realise that working hard and being passionate doesn't automatically make you a good player but Lewis is and i'm sick of seeing him constantly being used as the scapegoat. Sometimes his criticism is justified, he isn't perfect, if he was he would be playing at a club much higher than us but sometimes I feel some people just can't wait to get on his back.

Lewis is a brilliant professional and I hope he's with us till he retires. And no i'm not letting the fact he's won both cups cloud my judgement. Yes, that will forever make him a legend but I wouldn't want him in the team if he wasn't good enough just because of past glories.

Gonny no, just gonny no.

Opened a can here have you not

@hibs.net private member AgentDaleCooper's Avatar
    IMO, the sentiment alone has a great deal of currency in practical terms - lewis is a truly remarkable role model for any young players coming through the ranks, he has the medals to prove that hard work and persistence will get you great things without having to leave the club - it would be an utter travesty if we got rid of him IMO (unless for some reason he wanted out), he is a model professional and an absolute asset to the club.

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    In recent weeks he has been superb for us and has definitely improved on his crossing putting in numerous dangerous crosses

You really are stirring it up just now aint you?

Have you nothing else to do than to fish for the usual feedback on lewis.
    ive said it before and i'll say it again....... at a stage of the season we are at WHY do we need such derogatory
    remarks like these.

We are going go the league title we need to be positive (even after yesterday) we need to get this club over the line and to promotion.

Lewis has delivered a few cracking crosses in the last few games and either no one has been on the end of them or have put them wide or behind the goal!

Next season when we get up there must be changes to sustain us in the premier league Please stop all the negativity against one player especially Lewis and put your energy into backing your team!

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Lewis Stevenson and David Gray are very good fullbacks, and if we play with a flat back 4 they would be as good as anything in the league.

If they are asked to play as wing backs, that's when we see their frailties.

If we are to play with wing backs then yes i'd like to think we'd get better in, but if we get better players in further forward who have width pace and ability, those two would be fine behind them and contribute to a decent solid back 4.
    sensible post

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shetlandhibee View Post
    sensible post

Cheers matey, although i do have a long history of them.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar

I had to check to see if this thread was started yesterday. If it had, it would have made a lot more sense to me.

He's one of the best fullbacks in the country, get rid IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderhibbie76 View Post
    This is tiresome on here it really is...after every match we don't win the Lewis bashing brigade come out...as many have already said he is the least of our concerns at present

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    You know what though BH? I do believe the Stevenson haters have become more polarised as the seasons have gone on and those who recognise his ability and true worth are in the vast majority. A couple of points on the Wee Man, which some have already been highlighted: if many of Lewis' crosses are headed out by the first defender, why are none of our attackers cutting across the man at the front post - see Rooney's goal against Dundee on Friday; who, on a similar wage as he is receiving from Hibs now, would we swap Lewis for whether from the championship or even Scot's premier?; why do people always remember when his crosses don't find a man but conveniently forget when the forwards/midfielders screw up decent crosses?; not all crosses are for specific players - they are, hopefully, put into an area where they can be attacked by multiple players, and finally, those who not rate Lewis should sit down and watch highlights of full backs from various 'better' leagues crossing balls on the run and see how many actually lead to goals or even half decent chances...you may be surprised at the low success rate.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Something tells me that when we start off in the top league having had an excellent season from our defence we really shouldn't repace half of it.Incidentally Stevenson's crossing is no worse that our attacking players.It's the lack of targets for the crosses,in particular the lack of midfielders bursting a gut to get in the box, that's the problem.
    I believe this the main reason for our lack of goals, against Morton I lost count of the times Boyle outpaced everyone only to find their was no one getting in to the box for his cross's, I'ts the same wi Lewis. We need runners in to the box!