hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stevenson

@hibs.net private member FitbaFolkKen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wee Effen Bee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You know what though BH? I do believe the Stevenson haters have become more polarised as the seasons have gone on and those who recognise his ability and true worth are in the vast majority. A couple of points on the Wee Man, which some have already been highlighted: if many of Lewis' crosses are headed out by the first defender, why are none of our attackers cutting across the man at the front post - see Rooney's goal against Dundee on Friday; who, on a similar wage as he is receiving from Hibs now, would we swap Lewis for whether from the championship or even Scot's premier?; why do people always remember when his crosses don't find a man but conveniently forget when the forwards/midfielders screw up decent crosses?; not all crosses are for specific players - they are, hopefully, put into an area where they can be attacked by multiple players, and finally, those who not rate Lewis should sit down and watch highlights of full backs from various 'better' leagues crossing balls on the run and see how many actually lead to goals or even half decent chances...you may be surprised at the low success rate.
    1 assist in 30 games, 2665 minutes, is pretty low.

I think we'll see massive changes in the summer and if Lewis was one of them it wouldn't surprise me.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Something tells me that when we start off in the top league having had an excellent season from our defence we really shouldn't repace half of it.Incidentally Stevenson's crossing is no worse that our attacking players.It's the lack of targets for the crosses,in particular the lack of midfielders bursting a gut to get in the box, that's the problem.
    Absolutely. Our supposed target man, Grant Holt is rarely in the box these days and it's not as if our midfielders get into the box

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wee Effen Bee View Post
    You know what though BH? I do believe the Stevenson haters have become more polarised as the seasons have gone on and those who recognise his ability and true worth are in the vast majority. A couple of points on the Wee Man, which some have already been highlighted: if many of Lewis' crosses are headed out by the first defender, why are none of our attackers cutting across the man at the front post - see Rooney's goal against Dundee on Friday; who, on a similar wage as he is receiving from Hibs now, would we swap Lewis for whether from the championship or even Scot's premier?; why do people always remember when his crosses don't find a man but conveniently forget when the forwards/midfielders screw up decent crosses?; not all crosses are for specific players - they are, hopefully, put into an area where they can be attacked by multiple players, and finally, those who not rate Lewis should sit down and watch highlights of full backs from various 'better' leagues crossing balls on the run and see how many actually lead to goals or even half decent chances...you may be surprised at the low success rate.
    Good post. Funnily enough I stuck up a thread the other day about why EPL players don't beat the first man at corners, the gist of it being that a lofted ball into the middle might find a player but generally won't get a goal and will leave you open to the counter-attack. The faster, lower ball will be cut out by the first defender far more often but if it gets past him (or our player makes the right run) then the chances of scoring are higher. And it's all about percentages at that level. On that basis I'm now convinced Lewis is a genius

There's another point needing refuted, which is about pace out wide. Lewis is about the fastest player I can remember when he needs to be but the reality is that pace does nothing in this division - it just means we hit the tackle quicker. When teams line up with ten behind the ball there's only going to be two ways to get past that. Individual trickery of a Zemmama nature - but that doesn't cut it against an organised defence because the days of tricky players dribbling past five opponents are long gone. The other is patience and possession, drawing the opposition out of shape, getting an overload and capitalising on it. Stevenson's greatest strength IMO is his tactical awareness, where he moves to and how he shapes to receive a pass and that is far more important than his crossing ability.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    His game has come on leaps and bounds in the last few years; he's a really talented player and his attitude and application are second to none. We need him in this team.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

We have a lot bigger problems than Lewis Stevenson, believe me.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    His game has come on leaps and bounds in the last few years; he's a really talented player and his attitude and application are second to none. We need him in this team.
    Correct

Testimonial Due
    Pieman - interesting user name. Now where have I heard that name before?

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PiemanP View Post
    Cup winning sentiment aside If we have any ambition about finishing top 4 next season he can't be our regular left back. He gives 110% yes, but he can't put in a cross, beat a man, or has any real pace.

The top teams in the SPL all have full backs with genuine attacking threat (Tierny, Shinnie, Wallace, Patterson, Tavanier). Stevenson offers us nothing. Time for Lennon to be ruthless and get rid.09
    You very rarely seen Lewis outpaced, he is a solid left back and a decent defender who wins plenty of tackles. Some of the attacking players you mention can't defend anywhere near as well as Lewis so they are not the compete package you strive for either.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Lewis Stevenson and David Gray are very good fullbacks, and if we play with a flat back 4 they would be as good as anything in the league.

If they are asked to play as wing backs, that's when we see their frailties.

If we are to play with wing backs then yes i'd like to think we'd get better in, but if we get better players in further forward who have width pace and ability, those two would be fine behind them and contribute to a decent solid back 4.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Lewis Stevenson and David Gray are very good fullbacks, and if we play with a flat back 4 they would be as good as anything in the league.

If they are asked to play as wing backs, that's when we see their frailties.

If we are to play with wing backs then yes i'd like to think we'd get better in, but if we get better players in further forward who have width pace and ability, those two would be fine behind them and contribute to a decent solid back 4.
    100% They are both very able defenders and aren't averse to making productive runs up and down either wing but I too think they are at their best when asked to defend most of the time with wingers or attacking midfielders asked to supply width instead.

glory glory

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    You only have to look at the goals in our Scottish Cup run last year that came from Lewis's crossing to know what a crock of **** the Op is.

You could have David Beckham at his peak pinging crosses into the box right now from open play for Hibs and we still wouldn't score as there is no-one to get on the end of them, with Holt just about never in the box when a cross comes in from open play

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Euan88
    Picking out Lewis is massively harsh. He's been solid this season and nowhere near one of our weaker players. His crossing (bar one rather wild one yesterday...!) is improving with every game and you can tell he's working on it.

@hibs.net private member Big90inOz's Avatar
    Lewis is a solid defender who gives 100% every time, and he is no slouch in the pace dept- this cannot be in dispute by anyone who supports our club

But God do I wish he would make more runs in behind his opposite number, there are countless times where I'm just wishing he would make the run. Best case is he can be fed through, if not he will at least take a player away from the midfielder to match his run
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence,therefore, is not an act but a habit.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    A wee Hit and run OP in the wee small hours?
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Another ***** thread from someone looking for attention. Starts it then contributes nothing after. Funny that!

Oh and Stevenson has been very good this season, just like most seasons!!

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    Another ***** thread from someone looking for attention. Starts it then contributes nothing after. Funny that!

That's the thing that bothers me with threads like this. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but to start a thread like this then contribute nothing after it is poor imo.

United we stand here....

"There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

It does get very tiresome, Lewis is a steady 7 every week, cracking fullback who loves a tackle, he'll never be the best wingback in the world hence why we're all wanting a winger in place.

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Not only can we not afford someone better than Lewis. I actually very much doubt we could afford Lewis if he played elsewhere. Totally dependable, incredibly fit left backs, who are virtually never injured, are model professionals, have a vast experience and are always willing to show as an out ball and join the attacking play are very, very hard to find on Scottish club budgets...the examples you give are either not full backs, poor defenders or in the case of Patterson are set to leave Scottish football and we couldn't afford them.

Possibly the worst and most un-necessarliy negative post I have seen on here in a long time. Before you start slagging off Lewis's performance as a player, maybe you should take a long hard look at yourself as a supporter.

Lewis is a very solid full back. Always gives 100%. Never gives up and to be fair to him, rarely gets beaten in the air or on the ground.

Is he the greatest attacking full back ever? No. But hes there to defend and he does that well.

We could have Tav at the Huns, useless at the back, be better with a sive, but hes good at free kicks....

Give me a lewis anyway. Mr Reliable. Never injured, rarely gets sent off and can always be depended upon.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    It does get very tiresome, Lewis is a steady 7 every week, cracking fullback who loves a tackle, he'll never be the best wingback in the world hence why we're all wanting a winger in place.
    And when that happens the same people that whine about Stevenson being "unable to cross a ball" will start whining that his replacement can't defend

Like you I'll stick with Stevenson as a full back and hope for a change of formation to create a spot for a winger to play in front of him.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: calhill19
    This thread is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by HibbyCal View Post
    This thread is ridiculous.
    Exactly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by #Persevere View Post
    1 assist in 30 games, 2665 minutes, is pretty low.

I think we'll see massive changes in the summer and if Lewis was one of them it wouldn't surprise me.
    Compared to all those countless assists by which other left backs? Again though, stats like that are so misleading: go back and check how many times LS broke up play, pushed forward and created the opening for others to pop up with the telling passes or look at the number of times he was involved at some point in the build up to a goal. Mind you, you could give us the stats on how many times he DEFENDED well - by intercepting passes/making telling tackles which prevented goals against us etc. Think there would be more than a few of us surprised if Lewis was emptied.

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    That's the thing that bothers me with threads like this. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but to start a thread like this then contribute nothing after it is poor imo.
    A poster called Pieman starts a thread critical of LS and then bolts. Clearly a Yak starting a thread to get a reaction and since the thread is now 3 pages long he will be thinking "job done".......