hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Would some in here rather we played pretty stuff like we did under Stubbsy and finished a distant 3rd again in Championship. I like everyone else loved Stubbsy and he will always be a legend thanks to the cup win but his style in this division was hopeless. Look at our respective records v Falkirk under lennon compared to under stubbs...that proves the case in point. Games like yesterday we lost under Stubbsy (see alloa away twice) yet under lennon we don't play great but grind out a point. Yes it's not always pretty or appealing I agree but the objective is promotion and we are nearly there...to me that's all that matters this season.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

Coaching Staff The Green Goblin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by southern hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can't argue with what you say, however he took our team at the start of the season that was playing good attractive attacking football ( Bronby home and away comes to mind) and has transformed it into what it is now to watch.

GGTTH
    Again, a wonderful SC win aside, that "attractive, attacking football" failed to get us promoted two years in a row, we also lost the Bronby tie you mentioned and he has "transformed" it into a league/promotion-winning team with a bit (not all) of the steel and strength which has been missing for years. We have also trounced the yams out the cup and are a game away from a shot at a second consecutive SC win. I'm really not sure what you are complaining about.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderhibbie76 View Post
    Would some in here rather we played pretty stuff like we did under Stubbsy and finished a distant 3rd again in Championship. I like everyone else loved Stubbsy and he will always be a legend thanks to the cup win but his style in this division was hopeless. Look at our respective records v Falkirk under lennon compared to under stubbs...that proves the case in point. Games like yesterday we lost under Stubbsy (see alloa away twice) yet under lennon we don't play great but grind out a point. Yes it's not always pretty or appealing I agree but the objective is promotion and we are nearly there...to me that's all that matters this season.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Exactly

2 years of pretty nice football under Stubbsy has brought back this patronising attitude towards anyone that doesn't play "football". in my lifetime I'm lucky if hibs have had 6 seasons of playing good football.

Neil Lennon was hired to do the job Alan Stubbs failed at twice. Gain promotion to the top flight. If we have the players (international recognition is deserved according to some on here) then we should have no problem in the top flight.

Barring a week or so in Dec - we've been top all season eh? Not bad going in my eyes. I'm grateful we have a manager like Neil Lennon in charge

Quote Originally Posted by GreenNWhiteArmy View Post
    Exactly

2 years of pretty nice football under Stubbsy has brought back this patronising attitude towards anyone that doesn't play "football". in my lifetime I'm lucky if hibs have had 6 seasons of playing good football.

Neil Lennon was hired to do the job Alan Stubbs failed at twice. Gain promotion to the top flight. If we have the players (international recognition is deserved according to some on here) then we should have no problem in the top flight.

Barring a week or so in Dec - we've been top all season eh? Not bad going in my eyes. I'm grateful we have a manager like Neil Lennon in charge
    Me too. Lennon would walk into any job in the country bar the uglies

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Very pleased to have Lennon. Last season, when we faltered we were losing games under Stubbs. This season we are fighting it out and getting draws. It isn't pretty at times and it can be frustrating, but we are taking a step towards promotion every game. That is good enough for me at this point. Next season can wait. We just need to get this one over the line.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenNWhiteArmy View Post
    Exactly

I find this attitude infuriating to be honest.

Why does it need to be attractive football or a good side?

If you play good attacking football you'll score goals so will be difficult to beat. I wouldn't say Stubbs team falls into that category but that's certainly what we should be striving for imo.

I read on here last night we've score 47 goals this season compared to Hearts who scored 88 when they got promoted. 47 goals in this division is a pitiful amount and imo that's unlikely to improve next year against better teams.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post

If you play good attacking football you'll score goals so will be difficult to beat. I wouldn't say Stubbs team falls into that category but that's certainly what we should be striving for imo.

I read on here last night we've score 47 goals this season compared to Hearts who scored 88 when they got promoted. 47 goals in this division is a pitiful amount and imo that's unlikely to improve next year against better teams.
    Of course good football and success would be the desired status for Hibs. However, I've been going to matches since 1970 and like the greenandwhitearmy guy, can genuinely say that I've only seen exhilerating football for a fraction of those seasons and even then the best of these teams only delivered one major honour. Turnbull's team played the football nd scored goals, but ultimately came up short.

We do have issues as a team. Our failings have been clear these past three seasons. Under Stubbs we played prettier football, won the cup and failed in the league. This season we will be promoted and are in with a shout in the cup again.

I'll take what we have and hope we can build on it, but I would reign in the expectation levels. Being realistic is how I cope with being a Hibby.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post

My attitude is that the only thing relevant this season is promotion. Which we are on course to do. We beat hearts more convincingly this season. We've got a better record against Falkirk. The only thing we've not had a great deal of is games against the premiership sides to compare ourselves against like we did last season.

Goals scored is an embarrassing stat and as it stands I'm due to lose a £20 bet and pay to dnipro kids as I said our top 3 strikers would get 60 BETWEEN them haha. That being said, service to them has been utterly shocking.

Defensively we are better this season. Next season will be a different challenge entirely. Certain teams will come and attack us and leave it open. Others will killie will want to battle and that's where the likes of Bartley will be important.

I've never once said I'm happy with what I watch every week,but what I watch every week is effective. A few weeks ago people were saying we'll be a match for Aberdeen and I'd agree. That's not the attitude of people that think we'll be struggling next season

I think our defensive form is really encouraging.

No team has ever achieved anything whilst giving cheap goals away and I think our goalkeepers, centre-halves, full-backs (not wing backs) and defensive midfielders are absolutely superb. We have possibly the most solid base in my time watching Hibs, and I think we'll appreciate them even more playing at a higher level.

IMO we don't even need to think about this part of our team going forward. I suppose with Ambrose's loan finishing and McLean's short contract finishing we maybe need to look at the injury-proneness of people in these positions and ensure we have enough cover, but this is just not a part of the team we should be looking to improve.

We need to rid ourselves of the delusion that we must always play with reckless abandon, flair and pile bodies forward. We need to do what it takes to score more goals than the opposite team, and we've fallen badly short in this department this season imo (as well as the past 2 seasons). I do think we need a major overhaul of the wide midfielders, attacking midfielders and forwards as what we currently have simply won't cut it in the premier league (they've not really cut it in the Championship but our good defensive form will see us over the line).

I think Lennon has possibly stopped just short of being a Terry Butcher this year. I think he knows many of the players he has aren't good enough but he's also known that he's had to rely on them to get us up. I'd be amazed if he doesn't make massive changes to our attacking players, and I wouldn't be in the least surprised if he sacrificed SJM and Cummings in order to give himself the budget to get the players in who he thinks will carry a greater attacking threat.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenwich_Hibby View Post
    Totally - dreadful football all season- think he needs to concentrate on what he's paid to do.....do I think it will get better next year? No - poor manager who wont have a war-chest to bail out his tactical deficiencies....
    Guys like you are what make this site so hilarious sometimes. Clueless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Does anyone think that the arsenal fans when George Graham was manager and they were winning trophies really gave a **** that it wasn't scintillating football all the time. Remember the "one nil the the Arsenal" chants. Win the league any way we can. Get up, sell loads of STs, get some money available for NL, sign some quality players and then kick on. The club is on the up and up and we just need to get out of this league to really press on

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakedmanoncrack View Post
    How do you prove or disprove a possibility?

Somebody else mentioned an ''anti-Lennon bandwagon'', people ''wanting him sacked'' etc, I'm not aware of ANYONE calling for him to be sacked, there is no bandwagon, no ''Lennon-haters''.

Closing down debate by applying such labels as 'anti-Lennon' etc doesn't serve much purpose to me.
    So your making it up? Fake news is the term that's used nowadays. How can asking you back up your statements be shutting down debate?

@hibs.net private member
    We all want scintillating attacking football but reality is we are a hard working competitive second tier Scottish team. At times we've played some great football but apart from JC no one has really contributed on the goal front. I don't think that's down to Lennon we've played with 4 attackers in our last two games it's down to players not taking their chances but the reality is our players are doing the job we want them to do and that's winning the league

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    Does anyone think that the arsenal fans when George Graham was manager and they were winning trophies really gave a **** that it wasn't scintillating football all the time. Remember the "one nil the the Arsenal" chants. Win the league any way we can. Get up, sell loads of STs, get some money available for NL, sign some quality players and then kick on. The club is on the up and up and we just need to get out of this league to really press on
    Going off topic here, but lived down London way during the era of that Arsenal team, they were great, they were ruthless & unbeatable. Believe me I would take that at ER anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    Going off topic here, but lived down London way during the era of that Arsenal team, they were great, they were ruthless & unbeatable. Believe me I would take that at ER anytime.
    There are different ways to win matches and trophies.

That Arsenal team struck me as a side that knew exactly what they had to do.

This season is a strange one in that it will be judged by one factor only - whether or not we get promoted.

We're far enough in front that these draws will probably do us, and if we scrape up then the season will have been a success. Lennon knows this.

Next year the goalposts move.

I actually think that we have it in us to have a really miserly defence next season. If we could just add a wee bit in attack I think we could do well.

I'd love to see us put a team together that ground out 1-0 wins like that Arsenal team.

And what's often forgotten about that team is that for all it was the defence who always got the credit, they still needed some very good attacking players to get them the 1 goal that led to a 1-0 win.

@hibs.net private member hibsitis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sioux View Post
    Judge him on style? Are you on drugs or what? Style points are for ice dancing or in the diving pool. Judgement for Hibs this season confined to winning the league. Nowt else.

And another thing, how do you define 'outperforming a budget'? If you mean Celtic should win the league, the huns second, hertz third, we're fourth etc etc etc, what the point of playing the games? All you'd need to do is count up the money at the start of the season and hand out the trophy to the team with the most cash. In those circumstances there would be no outperforming a budget. So, if Hibs finished third would we be outperforming or would hertz be under-performing?
    What I mean is that good managers deliver results their buckets suggest they shouldn't. C.f. Tommy Wright. If you're happy with the performances this season, I guess we just have different standards.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    There are different ways to win matches and trophies.

That Arsenal team struck me as a side that knew exactly what they had to do.

This season is a strange one in that it will be judged by one factor only - whether or not we get promoted.

We're far enough in front that these draws will probably do us, and if we scrape up then the season will have been a success. Lennon knows this.

Next year the goalposts move.

I actually think that we have it in us to have a really miserly defence next season. If we could just add a wee bit in attack I think we could do well.

I'd love to see us put a team together that ground out 1-0 wins like that Arsenal team.

And what's often forgotten about that team is that for all it was the defence who always got the credit, they still needed some very good attacking players to get them the 1 goal that led to a 1-0 win.
    Agree with every point you make, that Arsenal team were feared & fearless, Highbury a fortress, want to see all of that at ER.

@hibs.net private member hibsitis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomtownHibeys View Post
    You judge him on "style" all you want. I'm happy to judge him on meeting what he set out to do from the start of the season
    My point is about what we take from this season's performances as a guide to how well we're likely to do next season. I hope I'm proved wrong but I'm not confident based on what I've seen.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    Just my feeling but I think that once he has Hibs promoted Lennon will leave, I think he is well aware a substantial minority of Hibs fans didn't want him from the begining & others have now jumped on the Lennon should go band waggon. He will probably feel that to a degree he has redeemed himself after his Bolton gig & look to now move on. On a personal note I hope I'm wrong.
    A substantial minority of Hibs fans would moan and greet if showered with Smarties from Rachel Riley's cleavage because she hadn't taken the blue ones out first.
    That apart the vast majority while not seeing him as beyond criticism, recognise Lennon is on the way to achieving the club's aims for the season and appreciate the passion and commitment he brings to the role. I for one am fully behind him and would be disappointed if he didn't see the Hibs job as at least a 3 or 4 year enterprise.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsitis View Post
    Yes. But a good manager would have done it much more easily and entertained us at the same time. There's no rules that day it's got to be this horrible.
    We're in a league full of teams playing horrible, physical, negative football and refereed by crap officials. So what do you expect? We have to (and will) get promoted and I no longer care that we we're doing it ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    So your making it up? Fake news is the term that's used nowadays. How can asking you back up your statements be shutting down debate?
    I'm not aware that there is a requirement to back up statements of opinion, if so might as well shut the board down.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Green Goblin View Post
    Again, a wonderful SC win aside, that "attractive, attacking football" failed to get us promoted two years in a row, we also lost the Bronby tie you mentioned and he has "transformed" it into a league/promotion-winning team with a bit (not all) of the steel and strength which has been missing for years. We have also trounced the yams out the cup and are a game away from a shot at a second consecutive SC win. I'm really not sure what you are complaining about.
    we did lose the Bronby tie but it was on penalties and we had an attractive team playing football. Yes we are in a league winning position and we are two games from winning the Scottish cup again. However we are struggling and I mean struggling to beat teams in the championship ( as we were at times under Stubbs, though he had The Rangers and Hearts to contend with and it was his first managerial appointment).

There is a steel to the side that wasn't there before. As for complaining I've no personal issues with NL in the slightest but I personally think we should be doing better with our budget against so called championship teams and putting them to the sword. Most fans think Celtic win the league because of their budget and being able to buy in better players, yet our budget against championship teams makes us struggle in some sort of way. Why??

We should in my opinion be doing better than we are or maybe I'm just a perfectionist and think Hibs are not aiming for the heights I feel they should be at ( league wise).

GGTTH