hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alex Harris

Alex Harris

What is the story with him? Is he just returning from injury? I noticed he played and scored for the under 20s on Tuesday.

I'm not saying he is the solution, but when we are struggling to break teams down, have a lack of pace and a lack of attacking options surely he is worth a run out?

He provides pace and can actually deliver a good ball/ lift his head and see a pass.

When Humphrey etc are fully fit it will be tough for him.

But tonight you look at our attacking options on the bench tonight:

1 striker - Graham
    3 centre mids - Fyvie, Mcgeouch and Martin
    2 centre halfs - mclean and Forster
    1 goalkeeper - laidlaw

For being top of the league, and a team that struggles for goals of late, that bench is really concerning and next to no pace/attacking threat.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What is the story with him? Is he just returning from injury? I noticed he played and scored for the under 20s on Tuesday.

I'm not saying he is the solution, but when we are struggling to break teams down, have a lack of pace and a lack of attacking options surely he is worth a run out?

He provides pace and can actually deliver a good ball/ lift his head and see a pass.

1 striker - Graham
    1 goalkeeper - laidlaw

For being top of the league, and a team that struggles for goals of late, that bench is really concerning and next to no pace/attacking threat.
    I would be very surprised if Harris figures in Hiibs first team again.

Slightly off topic, but when is Humphrey due back?

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post

1 striker - Graham
    1 goalkeeper - laidlaw

The story is been there,done that,tried that, tried it again it never worked, sadly has proved to be not good enough.

Left by mutual consent!
    I feel bad for Harris - he had a really promising start at Hibs until some Motherwell hatchet man broke him in half and he has never recovered.

Quote Originally Posted by 660 View Post
    I feel bad for Harris - he had a really promising start at Hibs until some Motherwell hatchet man broke him in half and he has never recovered.

There are hundreds of players who at some stage of their development show potential but never actually fulfil it. Harris is just another.

Some go on to enjoy a good career at a more appropriate level of the game whilst others drop out altogether. Whatever Harris does next I wish him well but I hope Hibs are aiming higher than the player Harris is now if we are to kick on.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Harris showed enough at QoS last season that would suggest he could be a squad player for us. Sure someone said he had one of the highest assist numbers in the league, maybe wrong, 4 goals and 9 assists (27apps) in a mid table team. Thats a better return than any our current midfielders i think in terms of goal involvement.

Said the same to my mates when we discussed this, always looks a bag of nerves for us, like hes scared to get shouted at if he makes a mistake. Doesnt help the fans are instantly on his back.

I do however agree hes worth a run out, Keatings isnt a winger. Boyle isnt a winger. Shinnie isnt a winger. First 2 are strikers, Shinnies an attacking mid. All being used as wide men due to poor transfer activity. Harris is a winger. He has pace, he will be direct, he can cross a ball and he can score.

NL obviously seen something in him or he would be out on loan like Stanton. I hope he gets a run in the team and maybe puts in 1 or 2 good performances, unfortunately hes now a fans scapegoat. WIll probably leave, end up at Dundee, start and play their continually and do well for himself.

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    There are hundreds of players who at some stage of their development show potential but never actually fulfil it. Harris is just another.

Some go on to enjoy a good career at a more appropriate level of the game whilst others drop out altogether. Whatever Harris does next I wish him well but I hope Hibs are aiming higher than the player Harris is now if we are to kick on.
    Remember Ross Caldwell?

J

Quote Originally Posted by JDHibs View Post
    Harris showed enough at QoS last season that would suggest he could be a squad player for us. Sure someone said he had one of the highest assist numbers in the league, maybe wrong, 4 goals and 9 assists (27apps) in a mid table team. Thats a better return than any our current midfielders i think in terms of goal involvement.

Said the same to my mates when we discussed this, always looks a bag of nerves for us, like hes scared to get shouted at if he makes a mistake. Doesnt help the fans are instantly on his back.

I do however agree hes worth a run out, Keatings isnt a winger. Boyle isnt a winger. Shinnie isnt a winger. First 2 are strikers, Shinnies an attacking mid. All being used as wide men due to poor transfer activity. Harris is a winger. He has pace, he will be direct, he can cross a ball and he can score.

NL obviously seen something in him or he would be out on loan like Stanton. I hope he gets a run in the team and maybe puts in 1 or 2 good performances, unfortunately hes now a fans scapegoat. WIll probably leave, end up at Dundee, start and play their continually and do well for himself.
    He has the ability to do all of the above but he hasn't done any of it in a Hibs shirt for a very long time.

There's something just not right about Harris and I think he needs to continue his development elsewhere, for his own sake.

I think he freezes in front of his own fans, who aren't known for their patience.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    He has the ability to do all of the above but he hasn't done any of it in a Hibs shirt for a very long time.

There's something just not right about Harris and I think he needs to continue his development elsewhere, for his own sake.

I think he freezes in front of his own fans, who aren't known for their patience.
    Touched on your points in my post.

Probably be best for his career to move on. Look at Booth, another youngster made out as a scapegoat, now playing well in the league above us week in and week out.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar

Boyle is everything you could possibly want in a winger. He ripped the Morton LB apart last night. As someone else said, Harris offers nothing. The fact he has pace and can deliver a decent ball are irrelevant, he CAN do it, but he hasn't outran, beat a man, or crossed a decent ball into the box at Hibs since Pat Fenlon was here.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Boyle is everything you could possibly want in a winger. He ripped the Morton LB apart last night. As someone else said, Harris offers nothing. The fact he has pace and can deliver a decent ball are irrelevant, he CAN do it, but he hasn't outran, beat a man, or crossed a decent ball into the box at Hibs since Pat Fenlon was here.
    Cant tell if you're being serious with this statement?

You really want a winger with 1 trick (pace), no composure, no end product and becomes irrelevant if he cant beat his man for pace?

I cant fault Boyles attitude, work ethic or his drive, but hes a very limited football player.

If Boyle is all you look for in a winger, then im glad you dont make any decisions regarding players at our club...

Probably be best for his career to move on. Look at Booth, another youngster made out as a scapegoat, now playing well in the league above us week in and week out.
    What's with this made a scapegoat nonsense? Made a scapegoat for what exactly? Both players you have mentioned proved not to be good enough to forge a place in our first team.Despite numerous chances Harris has proven he's not good enough. It really is as simple as that, if he goes on to become a better player good luck to him.No one can say he wasn't given a chance at Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    I can't make my mind up about Boyle's end product.

He's absolutely brilliant at beating his man and hitting the byeline. We look far more threatening when he plays and he's given many a fullback a torrid time this season.

Once he's beaten his man though, we still don't look dangerous enough. I don't know whether it is Boyle, the strikers or the midfielders who are to blame but we just don't look like scoring when he has the ball.

Of all our wide players and forwards, he's actually the one I'd most like to hold on to. Obviously Cummings' goal threat is great but I feel that if we lost Cummings at least we'd get a few quid for him to give us a solid budget for new forwards.

I get the feeling that with different forwards, Boyle might get assist after assist.

Or maybe he'd just play crap ball after crap ball to better strikers?

Who made Booth a scapegoat?

Booth played the 2nd or 3rd game of Stubbs 1st season and was then dropped out for Lewis the following week for a 2-1 defeat at Alloa. Peope tore strips of Stubbs for that decision.

Booth was always held in remarkably high regard considering how sporadic his 1st team appearances were and I certainly don't remember him being made a scapegoat for anything.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    What's with this made a scapegoat nonsense? Made a scapegoat for what exactly? Both players you have mentioned proved not to be good enough to forge a place in our first team.Despite numerous chances Harris has proven he's not good enough. It really is as simple as that, if he goes on to become a better player good luck to him.No one can say he wasn't given a chance at Hibs.
    Is it these players fault that they are picked by the manager? No. Yet the fans decide that booing said player at every mistake is the best way to react.

Hence, scapegoat.

Harris came on earlier in the season, when Qos beat us at Easter Road, he had 5 minutes, tried to drive us forward, got barged off the ball, tried again and lost it. Fans were screaming abuse at him. After the game there was a thread on here about how useless Harris was, he came on for 5 minutes at 3-1 down, makes sense right?

Was that needed? Does that help anyone? Hes not deciding to play. Hes being asked by a manager to go on and play. Stevenson is another scapegoat over the years. Now its Holt.

@hibs.net private member Craig_HFC's Avatar
    Cant tell if you're being serious with this statement?

You really want a winger with 1 trick (pace), no composure, no end product and becomes irrelevant if he cant beat his man for pace?

I cant fault Boyles attitude, work ethic or his drive, but hes a very limited football player.

If Boyle is all you look for in a winger, then im glad you dont make any decisions regarding players at our club...
    If you can't see that Martin Boyle is very much a winger and you think he's a striker then you need your eyes/head examined.
    PERSEVERE
    Verb: pə:ːsɪ'ˈvɪə/
    To not give up.
    To go the distance.
    To stop at nothing.

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby

I wouldn't say Booth was ever made out as a scapegoat. He looked promising, there was high expectations but it never quite worked for him. If rumours are true, his attitude at Hibs wasn't great. Glad for him that he's screwed the nut and is doing well as he always had ability.

Harris has just never developed. He got that injury and has never progressed since it. Hibs fans have never given him a hard time at matches, quite the opposite in fact, in the hope that he could recapture that early form. Lennon was really keen to involve him this season as he saw something in him, but again it clearly hasn't worked. Maybe at a smaller club he doesn't feel any pressure. That's down to his character rather than anything else.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty

NL seen something in him or he would be out on loan like Stanton. I hope he gets a run in the team and maybe puts in 1 or 2 good performances, unfortunately hes now a fans scapegoat. WIll probably leave, end up at Dundee, start and play their continually and do well for himself.
    I don't think it's correct to say he's a fans scapegoat. I don't see anybody blaming Harris for anything, or slating him for not being in the team. He does nothing when he's in the team though, and if he cannae hack the pressure of playing for Hibs then that's an Alex Harris problem, not a Hibs fans treatment of him problem.

NL maybe does see something in him, but obviously not much cos he's still no getting any game time despite us being lacking in natural wide players.

He's done at Hibs, I'd maybe give him a few games from the start after we've confirmed the title, but I wouldn't expect much from him to be honest.

Gamer IDs

He was never made a scapegoat.

Also, is he playing well week in week out? Where are you hearing/seeing/reading that?

He's not the answer but he surely couldn't contribute much less than keatings did last night on the left.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    He was never made a scapegoat.

Also, is he playing well week in week out? Where are you hearing/seeing/reading that?
    33 apps this season for Partick in all comps. Also worth noting he has 6 assists, which bar Shinnie, would be the most in our team...

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by supermcginn View Post
    He's not the answer but he surely couldn't contribute much less than keatings did last night on the left.
    I think he could.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig_HFC View Post
    If you can't see that Martin Boyle is very much a winger and you think he's a striker then you need your eyes/head examined.
    Is that why Boyle himself has stated several times, under both Stubbs and Lennon that he sees himself as a striker, not as a winger?

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.co...boss-1-4273207

Oh also this, NL admitting he and his back room staff see him as a central player not as a winger? Does NL need his eye/head examined aswell?

Boyle is playing as a winger because its the most effective formation to play against teams in this leagueand we dont have anyone else to do it at present.

Is it these players fault that they are picked by the manager? No. Yet the fans decide that booing said player at every mistake is the best way to react.

Hence, scapegoat.

Harris came on earlier in the season, when Qos beat us at Easter Road, he had 5 minutes, tried to drive us forward, got barged off the ball, tried again and lost it. Fans were screaming abuse at him. After the game there was a thread on here about how useless Harris was, he came on for 5 minutes at 3-1 down, makes sense right?

Was that needed? Does that help anyone? Hes not deciding to play. Hes being asked by a manager to go on and play. Stevenson is another scapegoat over the years. Now its Holt.
    Total nonsense for all the reasons I have previously mentioned. Always amazes me how some fans memory plays tricks on them and they always remember players to be better than they actually were. Think you need to rethink the scapegoat comment,being berated for a poor performance is not being made a scapegoat. Are fans not allowed to voice their displeasure any more. As for Holt once again you have read about people being annoyed at his performance and or witnessed it at games, that's not being made a scapegoat at all. Now if we didn't get promoted and we all came out and blamed Holt that would be making him a scapegoat.
    Last edited by Scouse Hibee; 30-03-2017 at 05:25 PM.

Gamer IDs

33 apps this season for Partick in all comps. Also worth noting he has 6 assists, which bar Shinnie, would be the most in our team...
    I'm not disputing that he's playing week in week out, you said he's playing well. Where are you getting that from?

I haven't heard anything about Callum Booth this season, but I've nae interest in Partick Thistle. Who's saying he's playing well?

I dunno what point you're making with the bit in bold. He's had more assists than McGinn and McGeogh and Gray and Stevenson and Bartley, so we should get Booth back and play him instead, despite them being better?

I'm not disputing that he's playing week in week out, you said he's playing well. Where are you getting that from?

I haven't heard anything about Callum Booth this season, but I've nae interest in Partick Thistle. Who's saying he's playing well?

I dunno what point you're making with the bit in bold. He's had more assists than McGinn and McGeogh and Gray and Stevenson and Bartley, so we should get Booth back and play him instead, despite them being better?
    My point is hes created more than most of our players. Why would we bring Booth back? I dont remember stating that? Its a pretty good stat when you are trying to show someone someone is playing well, how many assists have Stevenson and Gray got this season in a lower division when in parts of this season they have been our only width?

Partick have the 4th best defence in the top league. Pretty impressive for a team on their budget. Watch a partick game and listen to the commentators. I did when they played Hearts, pretty sure he set up 1 goal and was a constant threat from the back.

Gamer IDs

My point is hes created more than most of our players. Why would we bring Booth back? I dont remember stating that? Its a pretty good stat when you are trying to show someone someone is playing well, how many assists have Stevenson and Gray got this season in a lower division when in parts of this season they have been our only width?

Partick have the 4th best defence in the top league. Pretty impressive for a team on their budget. Watch a partick game and listen to the commentators. I did when they played Hearts, pretty sure he set up 1 goal and was a constant threat from the back.
    I don't want to watch a Partick game, or want to listen to one, unless it's against Hibs.

I dunno how many assists Gray or Stevenson have, not that it's relevant to Callum Booth, who is inferior to both.

I'm no really sure what it is you're trying to get across about Booth to be honest. He's playing well cos you seen him in one game v Hearts, and he's got 6 assists, but you don't want to bring him back, but he was a scapegoat (which he wasn't).

I don't want to watch a Partick game, or want to listen to one, unless it's against Hibs.

I dunno how many assists Gray or Stevenson have, not that it's relevant to Callum Booth, who is inferior to both.

I'm no really sure what it is you're trying to get across about Booth to be honest. He's playing well cos you seen him in one game v Hearts, and he's got 6 assists, but you don't want to bring him back, but he was a scapegoat (which he wasn't).
    I merely stated Harris should move on to another club for the best of his career, like Booth, who as ive stated, is playing week in and week out in a team in the league above us now.

Then everybody jumped on what i said..so i defended myself, simple really. Imo both are being or have been used as a scapegoat.