hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: John McGinn

@hibs.net private member
    Thought he had an excellent first 40 seconds but was poor thereafter. It must be murder playing in our midfield though as there is zero movement from the front 6 players for the vast majority of the game. McGinn plays best when he can roam but playing Keatings and Boyle pretty much scuppered that.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Probably his worst game for us.

I'm sure he'll be back to his best soon enough - class is permanent.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Tosh.He's a Scottish international if he can't dominate a Champioship match it's not the manager's fault.

No getting away from it he had a poor game, gave the ball away far too often and in all honesty its beginning to be a bit of a habit with SJM .... he just doesn't seem able to influence games they way he did last season. I'm not sure what's up with him, but perhaps it could be as simple as needing a decent few weeks away from football, I know he was out for a few weeks after his operation but I doubt that's the same as just getting 3 weeks on a beach somewhere.

If we are able to wrap up the league with a couple of games to go I would like to see him and a few other vital players sent away on holiday ASAP ....... unless we make the cup final of course

Quote Originally Posted by Billychaotic182 View Post
    Was it just me or did he have a total stinker tonight. Nothing worked for him tonight. Fans are quick to slate Shinnie if he doesn't play well and I don't think McGinn should be given it easy from us. Of course every good player has a bad day but tonight was awful. Personally thought he should have been subbed for Dylan in the second half. Putting Dylan on with five minutes to go was bizarre as well.
    SJM lookes tired and wasnt at races tonight. Needs a rest. Formation flat 4 not helping

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I thought he was total pish, but in his defence it can't be easy being in a midfield 2 with Bartley. Bartley did what Bartley does reasonably well, as usual, but there is no attacking threat there.

The whole shape just looked wrong going forward and we could have played all night and not looked like scoring.

I think we'll scrape over the line by being the least pish team in the league and tbh that is good enough as it was all about going up this year (and that wasn't actually that bad a result tonight).

But I think we need a serious rethink about how we go about scoring goals next season.
    and not just Bartley, neither Keatings or Boyle are natural midfield players.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Tosh.He's a Scottish international if he can't dominate a Champioship match it's not the manager's fault.
    Aye no bother... just play him upfront on his own...he's a scottish international.

I blame it on a lack of game time recently but hey as long as it increases his sale value 😉

Testimonial Due green with envy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    Probably his worst game for us.

I'm sure he'll be back to his best soon enough - class is permanent.

Two spot-on points.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    My take was he was trying too hard. He wanted to make things happen and ended up over hitting or over extending. If he'd relaxed a bit he'd have been fine.

Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    Wasn't great but think he struggles a bit in games like this with Bartley next to him. Him and McGeough should be starting every game they are available.
    Exactly my thoughts Bartley looks likwe a nightmare to play alongside his reading of a game where there is a lot of movement from the other team and when we have the ball in fighter spaces is poor for a guy playing g at this level .. His positioning is normally too deep and hence gives his midfield partner nobody to play alongside ..I agree totally mcginn should have been playing g alongside McGeoch ..hope Lennon changes it to that on Saturday we are a better team in games that are right in midfield with players that are fotbalers and both mcginn and McGeoch or fyvie all have that we don't need Bartley in these games and mcginn's performance will improve ...

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: The Reaper
    Trying too hard at times and his passing let him down.......one of a few who weren't great tonight.

Still they can all rest easy it was Grant Holts fault. Every time someone, anyone misplaced a pass or got caught under the ball it was all Holts fault.

According to the 'fitba folk' behind me in the west anyway

Him and Bartley got given the short straw I think with none of the wide players or strikers mucking in with the dirty work, often out numbered. When they got the ball they looked knackered from the chasing down

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    After he hit the post in the first minute or so I thought we had SJM back, but he totally faded and nothing really came off for him. Anyone else feel he could do a job as a left mid?
    I expected him to be left midfield last night. Wasn't surprised he rested McGeough but someone else could've played in the middle with Bartley. Instead we shoehorned a striker into left midfield and McGeough was just dropped.