hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John McGinn

Testimonial Due Billychaotic182's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Billy Chaotic PSN ID: BillyChaotic

John McGinn

Was it just me or did he have a total stinker tonight. Nothing worked for him tonight. Fans are quick to slate Shinnie if he doesn't play well and I don't think McGinn should be given it easy from us. Of course every good player has a bad day but tonight was awful. Personally thought he should have been subbed for Dylan in the second half. Putting Dylan on with five minutes to go was bizarre as well.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Yes he was poor tonight. Don't know why Mcgeough was dropped for him as thought Dylan did well Saturday.

Players have poor games he's had more games of than bad I guess

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Billychaotic182 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Was it just me or did he have a total stinker tonight. Nothing worked for him tonight. Fans are quick to slate Shinnie if he doesn't play well and I don't think McGinn should be given it easy from us. Of course every good player has a bad day but tonight was awful. Personally thought he should have been subbed for Dylan in the second half. Putting Dylan on with five minutes to go was bizarre as well.

agreed, nothing really came off for him and felt a bit sorry for mcgeough being dropped tonight.

Off night for sure.

@hibs.net private member
    Wasn't great but think he struggles a bit in games like this with Bartley next to him. Him and McGeough should be starting every game they are available.

@hibs.net private member PercyHibs's Avatar
    Agree with all of that. McGinn deserves a spell on the bench. He's been brutal last couple of months bar the hearts game.

I thought the game was crying out for McGeouch on around 60mins. Maybe too long for him after his 90mins on Saturday. Didn't see the point in taking Cummings off with 4 to go.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    Wasn't great but think he struggles a bit in games like this with Bartley next to him. Him and McGeough should be starting every game they are available.
    Marv is fine in battle but is no use at creating anything and that's costing us in home games

Personally I thought he started the game very brightly, hitting the post and playing some brilliant wee passes, but from then on he has the right ideas but nothing seemed to work for him. I think Mcgeouch definitely shouldve been in that team instead of Bartley or Keatings (Big Bartley fan but think he's much better when playing in a very physical game against Falkirk or Hearts)

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

Promising Youngster

Smile

I thought he was terrible tonight. Hardly one decent pass. Maybe over-tired after his time with the Scottish team

Quote Originally Posted by kiwihibby View Post
    I thought he was terrible tonight. Hardly one decent pass. Maybe over-tired after his time with the Scottish team
    I think watching Hibs on Hibs tv is more exhausting at times than playing..................

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    Started well faded badly

To be fair the movement from infrobt of him was pathetic

@hibs.net private member MacBean's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: macbean8 PSN ID: paulmchfc
    Dylan should have been on sooner
    Hibernian Football Club

He had a few spells of good stuff but he simply cannot play against a mobile midfield and have Bartley as his wing man. All Lennons fault tonight.

How often this season have our SC winning midfield 3 played together? Curious! (McGinn, McGeough, Fyvie)

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Thought he was poor as well tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    He had a few spells of good stuff but he simply cannot play against a mobile midfield and have Bartley as his wing man. All Lennons fault tonight.
    Tosh.He's a Scottish international if he can't dominate a Champioship match it's not the manager's fault.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    Well he's managed it fine in the big games. Nothing to do with Lennon whatsoever!!

He was very poor tonight.

It would be interesting to see the amount of times he lost the ball% wise, it wouldn't be far off 50%.

He is constantly in a rush either driving 100 mph at players of trying World Cup passes.

Don't get me wrong he pulls them off it's brilliant, but sometimes he needs to slow down and just play a simple pass and help us build a bit of momentum.

Him and Bartley doesn't work imo as none of them are particularly great at controlling the midfield passing wise.

I thought he was total pish, but in his defence it can't be easy being in a midfield 2 with Bartley. Bartley did what Bartley does reasonably well, as usual, but there is no attacking threat there.

The whole shape just looked wrong going forward and we could have played all night and not looked like scoring.

I think we'll scrape over the line by being the least pish team in the league and tbh that is good enough as it was all about going up this year (and that wasn't actually that bad a result tonight).

But I think we need a serious rethink about how we go about scoring goals next season.

I blame him being away with the crap who play for Scotland

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig_in_Prague View Post
    How often this season have our SC winning midfield 3 played together? Curious! (McGinn, McGeough, Fyvie)
    Jesus, forgot about Fyvie

He was mince.

Should have been well rested too.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig_in_Prague View Post
    This 100%,it's high time all 3 were playing together,we are a far better team when they're all in.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    After he hit the post in the first minute or so I thought we had SJM back, but he totally faded and nothing really came off for him. Anyone else feel he could do a job as a left mid?

He performed the same as he has for large chunks of the season.

Cracking player, needs to show it far more often.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by SloopJB View Post
    To be fair to John, we played too much hoofball bypassing the midfield so he was either picking up scraps or defending from midfield. Effe was the only one to drive forward from defence in an effort to play through.
    Morton did their job well and we didn't.
    we'll be better next week.
    Imo he was one of the most guilty of hoofball/world cup passes

Bit of an off night for sure but with that line up he was against it all game, with just him and Bartley in the middle they were playing against 3-4 Morton players all night. I just think he looked like he was trying to do it all by himself as Bartley creates nothing, Keatings did his disappearing act again after a decent performance and Holt/JC both had poor games, Boyle was the only other midfielder who looked like he could do something, at least he tries.

Needed McGeouch and/or Shinnie in there to take the pressure off him.

McGinn is a terrific player, and Hibs are lucky to have him in this s*** league.

At times I feel Lennon is asking too much from him, especially if playing alongside Bartley. He's much better alongside McGeouch and Fyvie.

Quote Originally Posted by Callum_62 View Post
    Started well faded badly

To be fair the movement from infrobt of him was pathetic
    That was my take on it too. Seemed well off the pace in the second half.

Quote Originally Posted by SloopJB View Post
    To be fair to John, we played too much hoofball bypassing the midfield so he was either picking up scraps or defending from midfield. Effe was the only one to drive forward from defence in an effort to play through.
    Morton did their job well and we didn't.
    we'll be better next week.
    I agree, we miss Fyvie taking the ball off the back 4 and starting moves. The ball was being punTed from the back and the Morton Ch's were eating it up. We need to get him and McGeough back in asap.