hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For those of us of a certain vintage, could you possibly imagine playing top class football through your forties and into your 50s?

I packed in playing regularly in my early 20s but still played the odd game into my early 30s and even by then my body felt like it was seizing up for a day or two after the game. I'd say I was reasonably fit for my age (just turned 53), do a bit in the gym, like walking etc, but I think if I played football for even an hour rigor mortis would set in for the following week.
    I read Andre Agassi's autobiography, and the agony he went through each morning in his 30s was just mind blowing. Couldn't imagine what playing elite sport in your forties or fifties would be like.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinribs View Post
    I read Andre Agassi's autobiography, and the agony he went through each morning in his 30s was just mind blowing. Couldn't imagine what playing elite sport in your forties or fifties would be like.
    Though Agassi's definition of 'agony' is perhaps not everyone's ...

He said: "Every morning I would get up and find another piece of my identity on the pillow, in the wash basin, down the plughole.

"I asked myself: you want to wear a toupee? On the tennis court? I answered myself; what else could I do?"

He wore the wig for the French Open in 1990, the first time he had reached a Grand Slam final.

"Then a fiasco happened," he said. "The evening before the match I stood under the shower and felt my wig suddenly fall apart.

"Probably I used the wrong hair rinse. I panicked and called my brother Philly into the room.

"It’s a total disaster!" I said to him. He looked at it and said he could clamp it with hair clips.

"It took 20 clips. "Do you think it will hold?" I asked. "Just don’t move so much," he said.

"Of course I could have played without my hairpiece, but what would all the journalists have written if they knew that all the time I was really wearing a wig?

"During the warming-up training before play I prayed. Not for victory, but that my hairpiece would not fall off.

"With each leap, I imagine it falling into the sand. I imagine millions of spectators move closer to their TV sets, their eyes widening and, in dozens of dialects and languages, ask how Andre Agassi’s hair has fallen from his head.

It was Brooke Shields, who he married, who suggested he cut all his hair off

"She said I should shave my head," he said. "It was like suggesting I should have all my teeth out.

"Nevertheless, I thought for a few days about it, about the agonies it caused me

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinribs View Post
    I think you're splitting hairs now.