hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: your ancestors

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar

your ancestors

So where do your immediate family hail from?

Me, born in England (Blackpool), parents both English (Fleetwood and Burnaze (thats near Fleetwood)) grandparents three English (Hull, Bolton and Fleetwood) and one Welsh (near Cardiff).

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Immediate all Liverpool, descendants came from Ireland to Liverpool.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Born in Edinburgh (Simpsons). My dad was also Edinburgh born, as were his parents, but with Irish immigrant grandparents. My mum and her folks were from Forres.

I was born in England to Scottish parents from Mussy/Edinburgh. Both sets of Grandparents are Scottish from Edinburgh/fife... Beyond that it's all east coast of Scotland.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So where do your immediate family hail from?

Me, born in England (Blackpool), parents both English (Fleetwood and Burnaze (thats near Fleetwood)) grandparents three English (Hull, Bolton and Fleetwood) and one Welsh (near Cardiff).
    Just curious LH, why Hibs?

I'm from a' the airts of Scotland. Four grandparents from East coast/West coast/Aberdeenshire/Islands
    Last edited by snooky; 26-03-2017 at 10:44 PM.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    Just curious, why Hibs?
    The attraction was just too great

In truth, like many Scots who probably look out/support an English team, many English fans have a favourite Scottish team, ok its usually Celtic or Rangers, like fans in Scotland probaly favour the likes of United or Liverpoool or Chelsea, but not for me. Maybe it was my Hibs subbuteo team, maybe names and reputations like Stanton, Brownlie , Blackley etc growing up (yes they did occasionally make into Shoot magazine), maybe the striking kit or maybe it was growing up in the casual era and lets face it Hibs were the finest I dont really know. Born a Hibee? No I wasnt. Blackpool Tangerine blood courses through my veins but after the recentish destruction of the club under the Oyston Junta (not got time to list their crimes against football and details of the fight against them) many Pool fans have actively boycotted the club. After watching the odd Hibs game now and then over the years as my Scottish favours, I started actively following Hibs (as in regualrly attending matches) three seasons ago, been a season ticket holder for two seasons. Got the bug bigtime. I've seen Blackpool win play off matches, get promoted to the Premier League, beat Liverpool home and away, seen England win 5-1 in Germany but never felt or witnessed anything like May 21st last year,

So Hibs it is, youre stuck with me.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    The attraction was just too great

In truth, like many Scots who probably look out/support an English team, many English fans have a favourite Scottish team, ok its usually Celtic or Rangers, like fans in Scotland probaly favour the likes of United or Liverpoool or Chelsea, but not for me. Maybe it was my Hibs subbuteo team, maybe names and reputations like Stanton, Brownlie , Blackley etc growing up (yes they did occasionally make into Shoot magazine), maybe the striking kit or maybe it was growing up in the casual era and lets face it Hibs were the finest I dont really know. Born a Hibee? No I wasnt. Blackpool Tangerine blood courses through my veins but after the recentish destruction of the club under the Oyston Junta (not got time to list their crimes against football and details of the fight against them) many Pool fans have actively boycotted the club. After watching the odd Hibs game now and then over the years as my Scottish favours, I started actively following Hibs (as in regualrly attending matches) three seasons ago, been a season ticket holder for two seasons. Got the bug bigtime. I've seen Blackpool win play off matches, get promoted to the Premier League, beat Liverpool home and away, seen England win 5-1 in Germany but never felt or witnessed anything like May 21st last year,

So Hibs it is, youre stuck with me.
    Last edited by snooky; 27-03-2017 at 08:43 PM.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Wallyford, Tranent, Leith and Gilmerton.

Mum & Dad both born in Edinburgh, Grandparents on Mums side both Edinburgh, My Granda on my Dads side born Edinburgh & Gran born in Montreal, Canada. Great Granda on Dads side born in Castlebar County Mayo, Southern Ireland. He married & moved to Uphall, their kids have kinda spread West, Wishaw, Glasgow etc
    Last edited by MSK; 27-03-2017 at 09:54 AM.

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Born in fife. Father from edinburgh from a family originally from Ayrshire. Mother born and raised in Co Roscommon before moving to Edinburgh to study in the 70s.

Parents from Edinburgh, all my grandparents Edinburgh, going further back still Edinburgh on my mums side, my dad's mostly Edinburgh and east lothian

Parents are Fifers, they were students in Edinburgh when myself and one of my brothers arrived on the scene to be born here (my other brother was born in Perth).

My dad traced his family a while back and you can trace about 300 years worth of them to within about 15 miles of central Scotland. My Dad's mum had links to Ireland that we could never get to the bottom of, but I think he eventually found out that they were "Ulstermen" having gone over there during the clearances.

My mum's family were all miners, who had moved to Fife from all over, Ireland, Ayrshire etc to work in the coal mines.

My mum's dad's family is quite mysterious. My great gran (mum's dad's mum) was a foul mouthed hard as nails woman who came to Scotland from South Shields. She didn't know her own date of birth and we reckon she was of "travelling people" origin.

Through the various branches of the family tree there are links (some by blood, some by marriage) to David Weir, Ian Porterfield, Jim Leishman and the Bronte sisters.

I'm Edinburgh as are my parents and grandparents.

Great Gran on my Mums side was from Shetland, all others Edinburgh born. Great great Grandparents on both sides were Irish immigrants aside from the Shetland ones.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Done quite a bit of research on my family tree.

Dad's side from Leith going back 4 generations then Aberdeenshire before that.

Mum's side from various farming communities in the Lothians back to the mid-1800s then Perthshire back to mid 1700s.

Mum was Edinburgh her mum was Edinburgh but her mum, so my great grandma was Liverpool born as were her parents. Mum's Dad was an Irish immigrant they came over after some bother can't imagine what was🤔. Dad is Dundee and supports The D. His mum and Dad are both Glasgow. It was my Grandad on my mums side that got me supporting Hibs. Otherwise it would've been Dundee!

Coaching Staff
    Pretty much Leith back to the 1700s through both parents lines with the odd Irish immigrant thrown in.

@hibs.net private member offshorehibby's Avatar
    I'm Oban originally, Dad Oban, Mum Isle of Lewis, her line goes back there since the place was invented. Other grandparents Glasgow and that line goes back to Ireland from about 1900's back.
    TOP CASH BACK
    The easy way to make money