hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lewis

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lewis is a funny one. He's played in the Hibs teams that gave me my two best Hibs supporting moments with two cup wins. But he's also played in the Hibs teams that have given me my worst Hibs supporting moments.

I think it is a position we can improve. But his reliability will get him another contract.
    Whats your thought on Hanlon or Cummings. Whether you're a good player or bad there's little you can do about things if the rest of the team is pants...
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by VivaPalmeiras View Post
    Whats your thought on Hanlon or Cummings. Whether you're a good player or bad there's little you can do about things if the rest of the team is pants...
    I think they are both better players than Lewis.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    I think they are both better players than Lewis.
    Agreed. Lewis is a 100% kinda player, of that there isn't a doubt. Defensively he's usually solid. Fitness wise he's top notch-getting up and down the line superbly.
    However....... Time after time after time his crossing is woeful. And I'm using the word woeful purely because of the swear filter!
    He has the worst final ball of any Hibs player i can think of in my near 30 years of being a season ticket holder!
    Awful.

He's rarely less than a 6/10 but for me he's also rarely above 7/10.

Quote Originally Posted by brianmc View Post
    Agreed. Lewis is a 100% kinda player, of that there isn't a doubt. Defensively he's usually solid. Fitness wise he's top notch-getting up and down the line superbly.
    However....... Time after time after time his crossing is woeful. And I'm using the word woeful purely because of the swear filter!
    He has the worst final ball of any Hibs player i can think of in my near 30 years of being a season ticket holder!
    Awful.

His crossing isn't great but I think you're being way too harsh regarding his 'final ball'. Wide players normally have to aim at 1 or 2 forwards in the box that are being covered by 4 or 5 defenders. Unusual for ANY full-back or winger to be picking them out on a regular basis. Probably been way too much emphasis on Lewis in an attacking sense in this league. When we play bigger teams nobody even notices his perceived lack of a final ball. Worst in 30 years though?- no chance.

Neil Lennon says he's one of the best full backs in the country and I totally agree. When was the last time anyone got the better of him? Seriously I can't rememeber. His touch and all round ball control are superb and he's a very tidy passer. Work rate is immense and he's a strong as an ox.

He is a Hibs legend for many reasons and sure he'll be here for many more years.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrekko View Post
    His crossing isn't great but I think you're being way too harsh regarding his 'final ball'. Wide players normally have to aim at 1 or 2 forwards in the box that are being covered by 4 or 5 defenders. Unusual for ANY full-back or winger to be picking them out on a regular basis. Probably been way too much emphasis on Lewis in an attacking sense in this league. When we play bigger teams nobody even notices his perceived lack of a final ball. Worst in 30 years though?- no chance.

Neil Lennon says he's one of the best full backs in the country and I totally agree. When was the last time anyone got the better of him? Seriously I can't rememeber. His touch and all round ball control are superb and he's a very tidy passer. Work rate is immense and he's a strong as an ox.

He is a Hibs legend for many reasons and sure he'll be here for many more years.
    So you agree with me he's a good defender with a great "engine" - then list the reasons his final ball is so poor.
    👍

*For the record though, I notice his 'lack of final ball' as you described it. 5/10 hit the first defender, 2/10 hit the stand. Of the remaining 3/10 some are occasionally great.....
    Don't twist what I'm saying though.
    I think he's a decent player BUT he's by no means some kind of Paulo Maldini/Roberto Carlos hybrid that some Hibs fans seem to think!!

So you agree with me he's a good defender with a great "engine" - then list the reasons his final ball is so poor.
    ��

*For the record though, I notice his 'lack of final ball' as you described it. 5/10 hit the first defender, 2/10 hit the stand. Of the remaining 3/10 some are occasionally great.....
    Don't twist what I'm saying though.
    I think he's a decent player BUT he's by no means some kind of Paulo Maldini/Roberto Carlos hybrid that some Hibs fans seem to think!!
    Thats a fantastic set of stats you have on his crossing so there's no way I can twist those figures- lol.

His crossing is his big weakness - nobody can deny it. I've seen many many players who have the same weakness though so to single him out as worse than anyone else in the past thirty years is too much IMO.

First Team Regular
    Part of our failure to get out of this league is we just don't put in enough quality balls from out wide, Lewis must get at least 10 chances a game and very rarely delivers quality

Yes, he is a great defender but full backs have to be more than that these days

What's the cost to get a statue done? Crowdfund anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Stewboy View Post
    Part of our failure to get out of this league is we just don't put in enough quality balls from out wide, Lewis must get at least 10 chances a game and very rarely delivers quality

And how many full backs in Scottish football excel in both roles? Would you rather have a Tavernier type who is great going forward but gets scorched in defence on a regular basis?

Would we like better than Stevenson? Of course. Can we realistically get better? No, so let's appreciate him and give him a new contract.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Left by mutual consent!
    Awful.

Did you see Boyle's final delivery yesterday and all season for that matter. Do you remember the Utd game at home earlier in the season when Hanlon substituted for Lewey? His crossing was laughable and rarely stayed in the park.

You obviously don't like him but don't give me the garbage that it is the worst you have seen in 30yrs.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    And how many full backs in Scottish football excel in both roles? Would you rather have a Tavernier type who is great going forward but gets scorched in defence on a regular basis?

Would we like better than Stevenson? Of course. Can we realistically get better? No, so let's appreciate him and give him a new contract.
    My point is part of the reason we haven't gotten out this league yet is due to our lack of width.

Should we have sacrificed a solid defender for a full back who can cross?!

If he was more he wouldn't be playing for hibs, we can't afford players that are perfect if they were perfect they wouldn't be playing for us

He gives 100% every game that will do for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My point is part of the reason we haven't gotten out this league yet is due to our lack of width.

Should we have sacrificed a solid defender for a full back who can cross?!
    No, we should have left the defenders to defend and signed a proper winger to add pace, width and decent crosses.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.