hibs.net Messageboard

General Election on May 4 possibly

Twitter chat is that Tory party chairman and chief whips have net and looking at May 4.

Remarkably, Labour would support the move making it possible to get out of the fixed term.

It also could explain why Osbourne hasn't resigned as an MP yet.

It could just be a rumour, but May may say May. 😁

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Twitter chat is that Tory party chairman and chief whips have net and looking at May 4.

Remarkably, Labour would support the move making it possible to get out of the fixed term.

It also could explain why Osbourne hasn't resigned as an MP yet.

It could just be a rumour, but May may say May. 😁
    Much mentalness in store if this is true.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Wouldn't surprise me. She needs a mandate and Labour need an election loss to deal with Corbyn
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Coaching Staff The Green Goblin's Avatar
    May the 4th be with us.

What would happen if Labour, for example, were to go on a "staying in the EU" ticket, ie. "vote for us and we'll revoke Article 50 (which is doable apparently) and we'll knock Indyref 2 on the head once and for all"?

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    What would happen if Labour, for example, were to go on a "staying in the EU" ticket, ie. "vote for us and we'll revoke Article 50 (which is doable apparently) and we'll knock Indyref 2 on the head once and for all"?
    That is clearly the approach Labour should be adopting, but the "leadership" wants Brexit to go ahead so they can campaign against it.

And I'm not even joking.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned 1,789.68!

@hibs.net private member
    Funny that we can't hold a referendum because they'll be too busy with Brexit negotiations.
    But we've got time for a General Election?

Coaching Staff The Green Goblin's Avatar
    I think they might win, although surely the fallout amongst Leave and Yes voters would be enormous. But do they want to win?

That is clearly the approach Labour should be adopting, but the "leadership" wants Brexit to go ahead so they can campaign against it.

And I'm not even joking.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Green Goblin View Post
    I think they might win, although surely the fallout amongst Leave and Yes voters would be enormous. But do they want to win?
    I'm sure that if Corbyn produced a left-leaning manifesto he'd seriously damage the SNP (I'm convinced that the Scots want a Labour party they can believe in), but I've no idea how that would be received in England.

Quote Originally Posted by grunt View Post
    Funny that we can't hold a referendum because they'll be too busy with Brexit negotiations.
    But we've got time for a General Election?
    If this happens, I imagine May will argue that she needs a strong mandate for her Brexit negotiations and an early GE will clear the decks so they can concentrate on them.

Of course, if she successfully kills tge UKIP fox, she mught give herself some flexibility if a softer Brexit was needed.

I live in hope.

I'm sure that if Corbyn produced a left-leaning manifesto he'd seriously damage the SNP (I'm convinced that the Scots want a Labour party they can believe in), but I've no idea how that would be received in England.
    I can't agree. Corbyn's even more unpopular in Scotland than rUK.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned 1,789.68!

Is Corbyn unpopular?

He's done rather well at getting himself in as leader then fighting off all challenges for the leadership.

Those who don't like him REALLY don't like him and the media hate him, but he has a lot of support from other areas.

I don't think he has what it takes to win a General Election though, and he's not (in my opinion) Prime Minister material. Neither is Theresa May though, really.

A general election would be very interesting. Is there really that much support for Theresa May? Are England and Wales anything like the UKIP voting racist backwaters that some would want to depict them as?

What would it mean for Scotland?

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    politics is not a game theresa hen

I don't agree either. It will take quite a bit before the Labour get close to being a credible force in Scotland.

They burnt their bridges big time at the last referendum and I'd suggest rather than trying to make amends have dissed the former Scottish Labour voters time and time again.
    Space to let

@hibs.net private member Golden Fleece's Avatar
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39325561

Article 50 to be triggerd on 29th March

Unlikely to be GE now
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Is Corbyn unpopular?

He's done rather well at getting himself in as leader then fighting off all challenges for the leadership.

Those who don't like him REALLY don't like him and the media hate him, but he has a lot of support from other areas.

I don't think he has what it takes to win a General Election though, and he's not (in my opinion) Prime Minister material. Neither is Theresa May though, really.

A general election would be very interesting. Is there really that much support for Theresa May? Are England and Wales anything like the UKIP voting racist backwaters that some would want to depict them as?

What would it mean for Scotland?
    He is extremely unpopular.

In January, Theresa May had a popularity rating of 11%. That doesn't sound impressive, but Corbyn was minus 27% and I saw a poll which showed that May was more popular than Corbyn among Labour voters.

there's an interesting graphic on this page which shows Jeremy Corbyn to be more popular then Donald Trump and Vladmir Putin, but way behind the others, including Paul Nuttal!

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/ind...roval-ratings/

Here are the Guardian's figures.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-jeremy-corbyn

if May was to call election for May 4th she'd have to dissolve Parly on 27th - 2 days before Trigger statement she's promised to make
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

It's pretty much impossible for May to call an election, given the ongoing CPS investigation and Police investigation into battle bus-gate. There could be by-elections, but no chance a GE.

@hibs.net private member
    I'm in two minds about a May election, on one hand we have the chance to rid ourselves of this Tory government but on the other the Tories are likely to win with a big majority.

I also don't think Labour would make any progress in challenging the SNP. I don't think it's because of the way they campaigned in the referendum but because of the result. Our country is split, 45% want independence and most of them vote SNP in general elections whilst the no vote 55% is split with 3 political parties. Too many people now believe the constitution is what politics is about now.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    I'm in two minds about a May election, on one hand we have the chance to rid ourselves of this Tory government but on the other the Tories are likely to win with a big majority.

I also don't think Labour would make any progress in challenging the SNP. I don't think it's because of the way they campaigned in the referendum but because of the result. Our country is split, 45% want independence and most of them vote SNP in general elections whilst the no vote 55% is split with 3 political parties. Too many people now believe the constitution is what politics is about now.
    A vote for the Union = a strong likelihood of Tory rule for the foreseeable future.

A vote for Independence = a vote that will probably represent something different.

The current constitution drastically restricts the possibilities that can arise for people in Scotland and those people you refer to above would be forgiven for thinking the constitution is what politics is all about now.

It really doesn't matter who we vote for in General or Scottish Elections. We'll get a Tory government, austerity, and every decision being made to suit the financial industry of the South East of England.

We can argue all day long about what we would want to see the SNP do with the budget they have, but you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear and it doesn't matter who we have in power, we face a real struggle to improve anyone's lives in Scotland over the next decade.

Unless we change the constitution.

Looks like it was just a rumour.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Green Goblin View Post
    May the 4th be with us.

........but May she not.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    A vote for the Union = a strong likelihood of Tory rule for the foreseeable future.

A vote for Independence = a vote that will probably represent something different.

The current constitution drastically restricts the possibilities that can arise for people in Scotland and those people you refer to above would be forgiven for thinking the constitution is what politics is all about now.

It really doesn't matter who we vote for in General or Scottish Elections. We'll get a Tory government, austerity, and every decision being made to suit the financial industry of the South East of England.

We can argue all day long about what we would want to see the SNP do with the budget they have, but you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear and it doesn't matter who we have in power, we face a real struggle to improve anyone's lives in Scotland over the next decade.

Unless we change the constitution.
    Good post. Even though I am swaying from yes to no, I agree with what you say.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by beensaidbefore View Post
    Good post. Even though I am swaying from yes to no, I agree with what you say.
    Do you mind if I ask why you're swaying towards no? I can understand people swaying towards Yes, given Brexit, but I struggle to see why someone would go the other way.

Don't feel you need to answer if you don't want to.

They could but with Corbyn and McDonnell in charge they'd **** it up.

Liberals might gain from such an approach.

Labour won't run on a stop A50 ticket while the Leader is proBrexit and many of their MPs seem to think their working class vote is vulnerable to UKIP (which it isn't). They have acclimatised frighteningly well to being Brexiteers.

We are stuck with the Tories for a very long time, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by grunt View Post
    Do you mind if I ask why you're swaying towards no? I can understand people swaying towards Yes, given Brexit, but I struggle to see why someone would go the other way.

Don't feel you need to answer if you don't want to.
    No probs. I'm still on the fence to be honest, but until we see what opportunities Brexit brings, I dont want to say I'm out. At the moment the seems to be no real opposition to the tories but I think post brexit we will should have a better idea of what direction Britain is going and if we want to be part of it or not. At the moment it's going to to be another couple of years of if buts and maybessnd I don't think that is enough just in case we are cast into the wilderness. No EU and no UK would be a disaster at this point in time imo.

Still to be persuaded otherwise mind you as I genuinely believe in the idea of Scotland as an independent nation.😉

There is no chance of a General Election on May 4th, more important things are happening that day.

If Teresa May does dissolve parliament on Monday and calls a General Election for that date it will prove once and for all the total disdain that she holds for the devolved administrations.
    #Persevered

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    There is no chance of a General Election on May 4th, more important things are happening that day.

If Teresa May does dissolve parliament on Monday and calls a General Election for that date it will prove once and for all the total disdain that she holds for the devolved administrations.
    Like we need further proof.