hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shinnie

Quote Originally Posted by Borderhibbie76 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sick of this witch Hunt against shinnie by posters on here...until today he has been one of our best performers over the last month yet favourites like keatings, fyvie and Holt get such an easy ride off many on here. Keatings and Holt were pretty dreadful today and fyvie has been poor for weeks (granted he was suspended today). Yet shinnie who wasn't even close to being our worst today gets criticism every week from some

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Have you read the thread on Keatings?

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    I like Shinnie but it wasn't his best day today. That being said he wasn't close to deserving a thread of his own compared to some. McGinn was poor today, Bartley poor, Gray terrible as was Keatings. The list could go on.
    This post just sums it up for me

Say what you like about relegation but it has certainly improved our standard of scapegoat.

Malonga, Fyvie, Holt, Shinnie are much better than some of the ones singled out in the past.

@hibs.net private member Mantis Toboggan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Say what you like about relegation but it has certainly improved our standard of scapegoat.

Malonga, Fyvie, Holt, Shinnie are much better than some of the ones singled out in the past.
    We love scapegoating actual good players.
    See also Brian Hamilton.

I don't rate him but he gets credit for at least trying to drive forward - something our other midfielders rarely do.

He certainly wasn't the worst player on that park yesterday. Not even close.

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    Has that not been true of all our midfielders, hence our inability to break down packed defences like today.
    Other than the selective quoting of my post, to an extent yes no question

However there is no planet on which Bartley is expected to create anything and the same could be said of Fyvie to a lesser extent and McGeouch has never been fit or played.

SJM (who has been not so super for most of this season) creates more but in a different style of play

When Shinnie plays he is expected to be the link between midfield and attack and his style of play requires a certain mental toughness to try things in the sure and certain knowledge that a high proportion of them will fail to come of.

His good games come when he takes up that challenge, his poorer games come when as was the case yesterday IMO, he did not.

He was by no means the worst yesterday, but is capable of so much better and is absolutely pivotal, in the absence of the route 1 stuff we resorted to yesterday (by necessity), in our creating chances.

The fact that he has undoubted ability, whereas some others do not, leads me at least to judging him more harshly.

My biggest grievance is his constant want to run in to midfield instead of staying wide to receive the ball from Stevenson. Time after time Stevenson would get the ball from Rocky, run forward and instead of playing a quick ball when Shinnie is on the touch line (Stevensons fault), he delays and Shinnie is by this time heading into the congested midfield. Why can't Shinne stay wide and stretch the defence, they were doing this against DU last Friday fantastically, but today it was back to the same old same old. Equally why does Stevenson not play the pass quicker it drives me absolutely bonkers. You see it with Boyle on the right wing, however good or bad you thought he was yesterday, he never came inside until he received the ball stretching the defence, especially when DMc came on second half.

Quote Originally Posted by gaz1875 View Post
    My biggest grievance is his constant want to run in to midfield instead of staying wide to receive the ball from Stevenson. Time after time Stevenson would get the ball from Rocky, run forward and instead of playing a quick ball when Shinnie is on the touch line (Stevensons fault), he delays and Shinnie is by this time heading into the congested midfield. Why can't Shinne stay wide and stretch the defence, they were doing this against DU last Friday fantastically, but today it was back to the same old same old. Equally why does Stevenson not play the pass quicker it drives me absolutely bonkers. You see it with Boyle on the right wing, however good or bad you thought he was yesterday, he never came inside until he received the ball stretching the defence, especially when DMc came on second half.

Possibly because he was playing out of position, he's a centre mid/attacking mid, he's playing on the left to help out the team due to lack of bodies.

@hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    I really like Shinnie and would be happy to see him back next season. Even when he was getting slated he was by far nowhere near the worst offender in our team, and even when he's not on his game, he always gives 100>.

Testimonial Due NadeAteMyLunch!'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Enough said View Post
    Where's all his lovers tonight??? Once again no heart no pace no desire
    This 'no heart' pish seems to be becoming a myth on here. Total nonsense. He's had his fair share of poor games this season, as almost our whole squad has but what's that got to do with the size of his heart? Not once has he backed out of a tackle or shown a lack of character.

Left by mutual consent! majorhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreatgabbo View Post
    We love scapegoating actual good players.
    See also Brian Hamilton.
    Brian Hamilton was WORSE than terrible. Absolute waste of a jersey for many a season. That idiot in the evening news Hardie who bummed him up every week when he had YET another absolute howler, should get plenty stick too, evidently Hamilton was some sort of secret love child of Millers cos no matter how crap he was he always got a shirt the following week, but blind Hardie was mebbes his uncle or something! Anyway, on topic, if anyone thinks that around 6 Hibs players weren't stealing wages, then seeing different games to me. Players are NOT paid to hide or be inconsistent. Do it more often than not- please empty- Hibs did not have a good Saturday at all, rescuing a point at home against Dumbarton- & after recent games- seriously- under performers regularly i.e. Shinnie Holt Keatings Boyle Bartley do not deserve to remain. Letting everyone down when it's time to stand up? Exit door!

The 'no heart' thing is nonsense. He works as hard as any of the others. The problem is he is just not producing. He was brought as an attacking midfielder who would chip in with a few goals as well. Over the season it has not worked and he should move on in the summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Embarrassing. Wonder if the boo boys were unhappy when he rattled in one against the Gorgie Mob?

Get behind the team or get lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Baader View Post
    Embarrassing. Wonder if the boo boys were unhappy when he rattled in one against the Gorgie Mob?

Everybody was happy with him that night because he played well and got praised for it.

He's spent much of the rest of the season being pretty ineffective though, give or take the odd game.

Like most of the team there is a player there. Consistency is non existent though.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Baader View Post

This.Some supporters are never happy unless they have a scapegoat. In my opinion Shinnie is a good player playing out of position.He is always looking to drive forward and that is no doubt one of the reasons he loses the ball now and again. As for Brian Hamilton he was appreciated by his fellow players but not some supporters . Says it all for me

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Sometimes Shinnie is a stick out performer. Real bit of quality. Other days he is abject . No rhyme nor reason to explain it. That can be extremely frustrating. Better ways to make that point rather than making it personal.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post

This is one of the most insightful posts I have ever read on this site.

Testimonial Due
    Most fans miss that the player getting caught in possession and sometimes falling over the ball, is the man working for the team.

The players they should be shouting at are the ones who are anonymous keeping themselves out of harms way and leaving others to get pelters for trying unsuccessfully to bring them into play.

All players have bad games, but some players hide in games, and as they do nothing wrong fans tend to think they did well?

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by where'stheslope View Post
    Most fans miss that the player getting caught in possession and sometimes falling over the ball, is the man working for the team.

The players they should be shouting at are the ones who are anonymous keeping themselves out of harms way and leaving others to get pelters for trying unsuccessfully to bring them into play.

All players have bad games, but some players hide in games, and as they do nothing wrong fans tend to think they did well?
    Definitely this

Well said, I couldn't agree more.

@hibs.net private member & Biggest, Funniest Slaver on hibs.net 2012 Pedantic_Hibee's Avatar
    "Slippers" wasn't great on Saturday but nobody really was. I'm one of his harshest critics but that's purely because I know he has got ability. He's always showing for the ball and never stops running which I love but for a lad of his ability, he should be strolling this league a la Scott Allan.
    "Play for the name on the front of the jersey and the supporters will remember the name on the back"

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I love this new breed of fan who knows so much more than the rest of us these days, those who point out what we miss or how stupid we are if we don't rate someone and see the good that player does.

I'm leaning more about players these days just by logging on here.

That's all very noble and all but when you're witnessing someone fail to control a ball countless times and who cant pick a pass to create something against a part time mob then I really couldn't care how much he's working for the team. At this point I want results and although he isn't the only offender in the squad at the moment (this is a thread specifically on him) the fact of the matter is his loan with Hibernian is up at the end of the season and I would rather we looked elsewhere than retained him.
    Last edited by Centre Hawf; 20-03-2017 at 07:52 PM.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    That's all very noble and all but when you're witnessing someone fail to control a ball countless times and who cant pick a pass to create something against a part time mob then I really couldn't care how much he's working for the team. At this point I want results and although he isn't the only offender in the squad at the moment (this is a thread specifically on him) the fact of the matter is his loan with Hibernian is up at the end of the season and I would rather we looked elsewhere than retained him.
    Oh dear .Couldn't disagree more

Left by mutual consent! majorhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cmcd View Post
    Elaborate how we should be chuffed wi that fighting display of pegging back Dumbarton at home when PLENTY players were anonymous again against a defensive part time team when WE really needed the points? I dinnae get it?

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Are there any players (other than one or two playing for Celtc) that stand out in Scottish football?
    The general standard seems to have flatlined into mediocrity.
    Oh for a Paddy or Alex Edwards (for example).

Quote Originally Posted by cmcd View Post
    Thats fair. Footballs all about opinions. Fwiw I think there is a player somewhere in Andrew Shinnie. But its too inconsistent for me to want to sign him permanently.

explanation required

Never understood this need for people to attack a player on social media, in what way does this benefit hibernian football club or does anyone think it may act as an incentive to the player or players who are publicly attacked. This is an honest question and if anyone can point out the benefit then I will stop supporting the players and start abusing them till then it's GGTTH from me

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Enough said View Post
    Where's all his lovers tonight??? Once again no heart no pace no desire
    How many weeks have you been waiting to post this?

Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    How many weeks have you been waiting to post this?
    I know. It must have really pissed him off watching him play well the last few weeks 🙄