hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries
    It seems to me that this whole issue has got little to do with the actual principle of having open membership for males and females alike. It is simply based on the club hosting the Open Championship. Traditionally, Muirfield has been part of the Open circuit for many years and most certainly gains a lot in terms of revenue and spin off from the event. The local community also gains important income from the Open. I don't know the reasons why they voted to keep women out on the first vote when they knew that the Club would lose it's place on the circuit, but you can bet your last dime that the decision to have a second vote was not based on the male/female issue but on economical and prestige grounds. If Muirfield had just been a run of the mill club with a 'no female' policy, it would still have the same status today.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It seems to me that this whole issue has got little to do with the actual principle of having open membership for males and females alike. It is simply based on the club hosting the Open Championship. Traditionally, Muirfield has been part of the Open circuit for many years and most certainly gains a lot in terms of revenue and spin off from the event. The local community also gains important income from the Open. I don't know the reasons why they voted to keep women out on the first vote when they knew that the Club would lose it's place on the circuit, but you can bet your last dime that the decision to have a second vote was not based on the male/female issue but on economical and prestige grounds. If Muirfield had just been a run of the mill club with a 'no female' policy, it would still have the same status today.
    They are not the the first club and won't be the last to succumb to financial pressure.