hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: John McGinn

I can see McGinn going in the summer for £2-3m and if he does he would still have to go down as the best piece of business the club has ever done in terms of first-team recruitment and sell-on profit. And who's to say that there aren't more John McGinn's out there to invest in with that money, if we do our homework.

If the club was to play hardball to get the sort of fee we would be looking for, would we accept a couple of years more service if he ends up leaving for nothing in 2019?

Can't see him signing a new contract but I said that about Hanlon and Cummings in the summer and the club pulled a couple of rabbits out the hat there. He does seem a sensible chap but he's already shown a willingness to move on for the sake of his career when he left St Mirren. On the other hand, he has found himself in the Scotland squad playing in the Scottish Championship so staying with us clearly won't be a huge barrier from that point of view.

Ach, let's just enjoy him while he's here. A joy to watch, even when he's off form his tenacity and positive attitude mark him out as a top player.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I feel like I've fell into a football twilight zone ...SJM is worth way more than 1.5m

Quote Originally Posted by patlowe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I can see McGinn going in the summer for £2-3m and if he does he would still have to go down as the best piece of business the club has ever done in terms of first-team recruitment and sell-on profit. And who's to say that there aren't more John McGinn's out there to invest in with that money, if we do our homework.

If the club was to play hardball to get the sort of fee we would be looking for, would we accept a couple of years more service if he ends up leaving for nothing in 2019?

Can't see him signing a new contract but I said that about Hanlon and Cummings in the summer and the club pulled a couple of rabbits out the hat there. He does seem a sensible chap but he's already shown a willingness to move on for the sake of his career when he left St Mirren. On the other hand, he has found himself in the Scotland squad playing in the Scottish Championship so staying with us clearly won't be a huge barrier from that point of view.

Ach, let's just enjoy him while he's here. A joy to watch, even when he's off form his tenacity and positive attitude mark him out as a top player.
    Bit in bold, he would probably have stayed at St Mirren had he not been attacked on the training ground by Stephen Thompson. That's what pushed him out the door, not the fact that Hibs came calling.

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZYHIBBY View Post
    I feel like I've fell into a football twilight zone ...SJM is worth way more than 1.5m
    Correct. We sold Scott Brown for £4.5m ten years ago. Grant Hanley moved between 2 English Championship clubs for over £5m in the summer.

It is offensive for SJM to be "valued" at £1.5m by the English media when you see some of the absolute tosh that get transferred between their clubs for fees of £5m-£10m.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: calhill19
    Quote Originally Posted by KingDomofFife84 View Post
    1.5 million sale wouldn't even be worth it after St Mirrens cut
    ????

Didnt we sign McGinn on a bosman and paid the development fee so therefore there should be no sell on clause?

Quote Originally Posted by CallumLaidlaw View Post
    Correct. We sold Scott Brown for £4.5m ten years ago. Grant Hanley moved between 2 English Championship clubs for over £5m in the summer.

It is offensive for SJM to be "valued" at £1.5m by the English media when you see some of the absolute tosh that get transferred between their clubs for fees of £5m-£10m.
    This, with a cherry on top.

Even if Sunderland go down they will pick up a massive parachute payment and look to cut some of the overpaid dross that got them relegated as well. WBA might not be rich in English terms, but in European terms they are I'm willing to bet.

Just as a matter of principle we shouldn't even start talking to any of these clubs at under 2 million for Cummings or McGinn, I don't care what league we are playing in ...... in fact an E Mail saying 2 million should be encouragement to pick up the phone and talk and that's all.

McGinn has been capped for Scotland, has a cup winners medal, two league cup winners medals and runners up medal and by the end of the season will hopefully have a championship winners medal, all at the age of 22 and he will be recognised as having had a big influence in the teams ability to win all that stuff ...... 1.5 million would frankly be an insult, especially from any club to whom that is pocket money.

Cummings has scored 20 goals a season for 3 seasons .... that's impressive in any league and you can see him improving all the time, especially in the last 3 months IMO ..... Of all the players in the world there's a reason goalscorers command the biggest prices, in that context JC's potential is worth a minimum of 2 million and lets not forget we turned down 1.5 from Peterborough .... not Man Utd, Effing Peterborough!!! ...... IMO that makes any offer from WBA, Sunderland or any club of that size under 2 million quid a joke.
    Last edited by NAE NOOKIE; 15-03-2017 at 01:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl07 View Post
    I seem to recall Kevin Thomson going to West Brom.
    When was this?

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    Bit in bold, he would probably have stayed at St Mirren had he not been attacked on the training ground by Stephen Thompson. That's what pushed him out the door, not the fact that Hibs came calling.

I thought it was a "training ground accident"?

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    £1.5m is peanuts for an EPL club. He's worth way more than that.

Sunderland might not be an EPL club next season

Quote Originally Posted by patlowe View Post

We paid £5000 for Ivan and sold him to Bristol City for half a million iirc

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rivers Cuomo View Post
    I thought it was a "training ground accident"?
    They were messing about and McGinn got hurt, there was no malice involved and McGinn has joked with Thompson over Twitter about it previously. Quite clearly he moved to Hibs for footballing reasons, he wasn't pushed out by big bully Thompson.

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZYHIBBY View Post
    Of course he is. This is typical paper talk about rich English clubs trying to steal the best Scottish talent for pennies.

I've no problem in Hibs selling SJM, as it was always going to happen, but Petrie MUST build in a decent percentage sell on clause as John will be traded down south in future years for a LOT more than £1.5M (possibly 10 x that). If Sunderland or whoever buys him does not like it, then they know full well they are trying to get him on the cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by HibbyCal View Post
    ????

Didnt we sign McGinn on a bosman and paid the development fee so therefore there should be no sell on clause?
    Because of his age we still needed to pay a tribunal fee. Instead we agreed on a small fee with a sell on clause.

Left by mutual consent! Dunbar Hibee's Avatar
    That's a lot of pish I'm afraid, him and Thompson still have a laugh about that to this day. Quite frankly wasn't 'attacked' either.

I think our young players - McGinn and Cummings realy need to prove they can do something in the Premier League in Scotland. Even one year of continued improvement would boost their price and options for these guys. Both have talent and time on their side. As hard as the Championship has proved for us, McGinn and Cummings have to do it at a higher level week week out, then we will see them go for a very good price.

£1.5M for McGinn? Chase yersels sunderland.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunbar Hibee View Post
    That's a lot of pish I'm afraid, him and Thompson still have a laugh about that to this day. Quite frankly wasn't 'attacked' either.
    He either skinned or tackled Thompson in training and, for a laugh, Thompson picked up a pole and threw it at him......and it embedded in McGinn's leg

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    There is no reason to doubt the 30%. It was a figure given by the St Mirren chairman at their AGM after he signed for us. My take is, we couldn't reach the development fee that St Mirren were looking for so to avoid it going to a tribunal we agreed to a substantial sell on.
    Wonder if McGinn will get a share of it, was he not going to sue St Mirren for having a spike thrown at him, nothing seems to have come of that matter.

This all day long.

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    I'm sure he and Thompson are still on good terms. I think you'll find it was more to do with where both clubs were going, it was obvious Hibs were making positive movements to improve the team and club whereas St Mirren were on a downward spiral since parting with Lennon.

????

I'm sure that's the case, he was in the USA on trial. Maybe HiBS agreed a sell on % and a small payment rather than take a chance on the Dev fee at a tribunal. He's certainly worth more than the £1.5Mil being quoted IMO.

If we sell him,and Cummings,in the summer we will undoubtedly struggle in the bottom half of the table.Anyone who doesn't think that tell me which superior to them players we will sign.Starting the new league with a weakened team is crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    If we sell him,and Cummings,in the summer we will undoubtedly struggle in the bottom half of the table.Anyone who doesn't think that tell me which superior to them players we will sign.Starting the new league with a weakened team is crazy.
    We thought we'd be screwed without Scott Alan too then brought in Hendo and Dylan. Wouldn't be the end of the world especially if we got a sizeable fee which it would have to be

We thought we'd be screwed without Scott Alan too then brought in Hendo and Dylan. Wouldn't be the end of the world especially if we got a sizeable fee which it would have to be
    Who would we spend the sizeable fee on?Would they be any better?

????

Sure I read St Mirren have a 40% sell on

@hibs.net private member
    Who would we spend the sizeable fee on?Would they be any better?
    We could go back to St Mirren again and have a look at Mallen, seems a decent player.

With the cash we're talking about we might tempt Hendo back.

Sure I read St Mirren have a 40% sell on
    150k. FACT.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    The spike in the leg thing was definitely a factor in St Mirren agreeing to sell him to us at that price. It avoided McGinn taking them to court.

And yes, St Mirren get 40% of any profit made when we sell him on.

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    The spike in the leg thing was definitely a factor in St Mirren agreeing to sell him to us at that price. It avoided McGinn taking them to court.

And yes, St Mirren get 40% of any profit made when we sell him on.
    Don't disagree it helped St Mirren make their mind up but McGinn had already decided to move on to further his career. The threat of legal action was because it may have hampered his chances of finding a new club.

1ded61b4578f2f54cb0b9bb238e01b66.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

It's been a right battle getting up, I wouldn't want to come right back down again. If we have to sell them I think we would be better dealing with Celtic. I say that because we might get a couple of good players and some cash.players like GMS, Hendo, Christie and poss LG. no matter what anyone says, I don't think he's Rodgers type and Leigh won't sit on the bench forever.