hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Hopefully they both lose.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Hiberniankb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hardly bums. Berto .. Pacman .. Maidana I think
    Apologies I thought he'd had a couple of easier fights after Pacman no idea what I was thinking of.

Hope Mcgregor knocks him out but i reckon Mayweather could beat him with 1 hand tied behind his back

@hibs.net private member Mantis Toboggan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmc View Post
    Bearing in mind I'm not an expert on either boxing or mma..

Is this "match" not the equivalent of me challenging Stephen Hawkings to an arm wrestle??

Obviously I'd gub him at it.
    Perhaps it would be a closer thing if we were to debate a rip in the space-time continuum....

This is ultimately​ a pointless exercise which will only be paid for and viewed by gullible morons (Mayweather v McGregor, not me v Hawkings, obviously).

Unless they're using mma rules?

Nah, thought not.
    It's like a tennis champion playing a squash champion. At tennis.
    There is only one outcome here.
    I'll still watch it.
    It's also more than a bit rich for certain boxing promoters to come out and say this is damaging to the credibility of boxing. They've collectively been chipping away at that for decades.

People are writing off McGregor too much I think. Of course, in 6 months of boxing training he is not going to be able to out-box one of the best (if not the best) defensive boxer ever. It may take Money a couple of rounds to get used to his irregular style, and within these rounds, is when McGregor will be most likely to score an upset. I have no doubt that McGregor's Team will be going into this to NOT have a typical boxing match with Money, that'd be stupid....wouldn't it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Newry Hibs's Avatar
    It's about as valid a contest as a WWE 'bout'.

With all the money being raised to pay these attention seekers, there is no way they will be allowed to have this done in the first couple of rounds.

Expect a long fight so that the punters don't feel cheated.

As alluded to earlier - Steve Bunce a while ago said Macgregor would get beat by Irelands top 100 boxers. Maybe a bit extreme, but he is very dismissive of this whole contest.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    whilst i think mayweather will win i dont think it will be as easy as some make out, mcgregor was the all ireland youth boxing champion so he has some pedigree, he is also a big puncher as most mma fans will have seen

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by superhibi1 View Post
    whilst i think mayweather will win i dont think it will be as easy as some make out, mcgregor was the all ireland youth boxing champion so he has some pedigree, he is also a big puncher as most mma fans will have seen
    It's a nonsense contest and complete mismatch.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Of course it is. We're talking about possibly one of the best boxers of all time against a former all Ireland champion. Let's be honest we're all going to watch it just in case

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    again i think mayweather will win but i personally dont think it will be as easy as some make out, mayweather is the better boxer by miles but mcgregor can take a punch and can throw a good punch so will have a small chance

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by superhibi1 View Post
    again i think mayweather will win but i personally dont think it will be as easy as some make out, mayweather is the better boxer by miles but mcgregor can take a punch and can throw a good punch so will have a small chance
    I agree.
    He is used to being punched hard in the face. He will be able to take a shot while having a go himself. He can also take hefty body shots .
    I still think Mayweather will win but I do think McGregor will have a moment where something could happen.
    I think he will just go all out from the off and try to rattle Mayweather.
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    DCmwbkGWsAAUPK7.jpg

The undercard has just been announced.

Quote Originally Posted by sleeping giant View Post
    I agree.
    He is used to being punched hard in the face. He will be able to take a shot while having a go himself. He can also take hefty body shots .
    I still think Mayweather will win but I do think McGregor will have a moment where something could happen.
    I think he will just go all out from the off and try to rattle Mayweather.
    Mayweather hasn't been about power punching for a few years though. I don't think he will KO Mcgregor but it will be a landslide points victory.

Tickets are now on sale. The only ones available at the moment include an all you can eat buffet and 3 hours of "free" bar starting at $3137.50. If you want to be close to the ring (but not ringside) you're looking at $20,125.00.

Plus tax and booking fee

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    DCmwbkGWsAAUPK7.jpg

The undercard has just been announced.
    Mary Berry

I've watched some of CMs training online and whilst he is obviously only showing what he wants us to see I really hope he isn't going to try and adopt the counter punching approach he seems to be in training. He will get seriously hurt if he does.

The only way he might upset Floyd is if he adopts the Castillo or Maidana approach of relentless pressure. Hit biceps, forearms, shoulders and hope the odd scoring punch slips through. Even then I just can't see him doing anything. I think it could be a bit like Mayweathers fight with Gatti. A fighter in against a boxer and can see a similar outcome, one guy taking a total beating until his corner do the right thing.

I saw an interview with Ricky Hatton the other day and he said that whilst Mayweather doesn't hit particularly hard any more, his speed means he can hit you 3 or 4 times before you can react which scrambles the brains. Does McGreggor have the boxing skills that guys like Marquez, Pacquaio, Alvarez, Moseley, Cotto, Judah, De La Hoya, Baldomir, Coralles et al didn't have to find a way to counteract Mayweathers speed and ability?
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I've watched some of CMs training online and whilst he is obviously only showing what he wants us to see I really hope he isn't going to try and adopt the counter punching approach he seems to be in training. He will get seriously hurt if he does.

The only way he might upset Floyd is if he adopts the Castillo or Maidana approach of relentless pressure. Hit biceps, forearms, shoulders and hope the odd scoring punch slips through. Even then I just can't see him doing anything. I think it could be a bit like Mayweathers fight with Gatti. A fighter in against a boxer and can see a similar outcome, one guy taking a total beating until his corner do the right thing.

I saw an interview with Ricky Hatton the other day and he said that whilst Mayweather doesn't hit particularly hard any more, his speed means he can hit you 3 or 4 times before you can react which scrambles the brains. Does McGreggor have the boxing skills that guys like Marquez, Pacquaio, Alvarez, Moseley, Cotto, Judah, De La Hoya, Baldomir, Coralles et al didn't have to find a way to counteract Mayweathers speed and ability?
    If he tries and counters Mayweather then it will be even more boring than you can possibly imagine, two counter punchers just standing waiting until the other throws a punch unless Mayweather decides to just go on the offensive which I can't see happening

I am at 100% for a Mayweather win and agree McGregors only shot is just to go hell for leather from the first bell and hope he gets really really lucky, they reckon he will come in at least 170 pounds for it so he will have a bit of weight but even with that he still won't hit as hard as a Canello or Maidana

Saw an interesting interview with Michael Bisping who admitted that boxers hit much much harder than MMA fighters as that's all they train on day in day out, I knew this already but was good to hear a world champion MMA fighter just tell it like it is

@hibs.net private member GreenLake's Avatar
    There is no way I am paying loads for a ticket and a trip to Vegas to see this fight but I obtained a couple of tickets to the press conference at Staples which might last a little longer and be more fun. I'm wondering how many soap dodger shirts will be in the Staples Center and remember that there will be a lot of Laker fans backing Mayweather in their own stadium - AND what team do the Lakers hate the most? The Boston Celtics. I see a nice little atmosphere where a Hibs home jersey could be confusing to everyone.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Has this farce not been called off yet? Surely only a matter of time.

Has this farce not been called off yet? Surely only a matter of time.
    Why would it get called off? There's too much money on offer for both 'fighters'

Quote Originally Posted by Hiberniankb View Post
    Why would it get called off? There's too much money on offer for both 'fighters'

Maybe they are getting paid by EBT's.

7 weeks to go and ordinary tickets aren't on sale yet, it's just the hospitality ones. And the T-Mobile arena is still double booked with the basketball event that they've been selling tickets for for ages!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    7 weeks to go and ordinary tickets aren't on sale yet, it's just the hospitality ones. And the T-Mobile arena is still double booked with the basketball event that they've been selling tickets for for ages!
    I might be offered seats pre-sale at face value by AEG who own Staples Center and T-Mobile (with MGM) Arena. How many tickets are you after?

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLake View Post
    I might be offered seats pre-sale at face value by AEG who own Staples Center and T-Mobile (with MGM) Arena. How many tickets are you after?
    EDIT - See below...........
    Last edited by Mikey; 09-07-2017 at 07:39 PM.

I'd go to the weigh in but won't spend money on the fight. Far too expensive. But if you're offered tickets you could still let me know how much they are just in case It would just be one ticket.

The weigh in is likely to be free but they may sell tickets just for crowd control. If it's not ticketed I aint standing in a queue all day to get in.
    Actually, scrap that, I forgot that we've already got tickets for Rod Stewart at Caesars Palace that night

But if you get a pass or ticket for the weigh in.........

Actually, scrap that, I forgot that we've already got tickets for Rod Stewart at Caesars Palace that night

But if you get a pass or ticket for the weigh in.........
    I can ask about the weigh in. Rod Stewart IS probably the better option!

I also emailed someone to find out about ticket pre-sale. If I do get tickets they will be at face value but I have no idea what that will be. I am not paying scalpers $5k to sit in nose bleed seats.

I have an extra ticket for the press conference at Staples Center this Tuesday if you are around LA. I was given those.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLake View Post
    I can ask about the weigh in. Rod Stewart IS probably the better option!

I also emailed someone to find out about ticket pre-sale. If I do get tickets they will be at face value but I have no idea what that will be. I am not paying scalpers $5k to sit in nose bleed seats.

I have an extra ticket for the press conference at Staples Center this Tuesday if you are around LA. I was given those.
    Cheers for that. Sadly I'm nowhere near LA this week and just happen to be in Vegas over that weekend.

I'd certainly be interested in going to the weigh in though if that's workable.

Cheers for that. Sadly I'm nowhere near LA this week and just happen to be in Vegas over that weekend.

I'd certainly be interested in going to the weigh in though if that's workable.
    I emailed the VP in charge as my rep is away and I will try to see her at the press conference about the weigh in. I saw her walk on water a couple of times.

Nice one, ta.

Nice one, ta.
    Things escalated rather fast and I can't say anymore on here. Can I pm you?

Or pm me your email.