hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    I'd love to see Connor knock the money man out but sadly don't see it happening. Some of the best fighters in his weight division couldn't do it and they are bonafide boxers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiberniankb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why would it get called off? There's too much money on offer for both 'fighters'
    Because it's a Hollywood script and not a realistic contest we are ever likely to see. It has no place as a boxing match.
    Last edited by Scouse Hibee; 09-07-2017 at 11:09 PM.

@hibs.net private member GreenLake's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Because it's a Hollywood script and not a realistic contest we are ever likely to see. It has no place as a boxing match.
    If it's a Hollywood script like you say, McGregor will be battered senseless till the 8th round and then catch him with an uppercut and knock him out cold. Then there will be a rematch.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Actually, scrap that, I forgot that we've already got tickets for Rod Stewart at Caesars Palace that night

But if you get a pass or ticket for the weigh in.........
    Who's he fighting?

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Who's he fighting?

Maggie Melee.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLake View Post
    Maggie Melee.
    There will be a few faces at that fight.

United we stand here....

I just went to the press conference. Big mistake. I want to see the fight. i also bought a couple of soap dodgers a pint and one of them looked like Leigh Griffiths if he was fifty.

Here is my prediction.

Mayweather will destroy McGregor in a boxing ring.

McGregor would beat the **** out of Mayweather behind the tool shed.

I think everyone writing off McGregor are being a bit hasty here.

There is no way that McG is going to stand and try to box with one of the greatest (if not the greatest) defensive boxers of all time. He knows he won't win that game and his (and his team's) fight IQ and experience are to good for that.

Imo, McG will be counting on Mayweather never having fought someone who moves like an MMA fighter before. The first few rounds are going to be a new experience for him too and here lies the opportunity for McG to get inside his head and lay the foundations for a massive upset.

In addition to this, Mayweather's guard where he rolls the shoulder is less effective against someone adopting the opposite stance (McG is southpaw). Look at the Davies v Taylor fight just last weekend. Davies' right side was quite open and Taylor managed to get a bit of joy at finding gaps in his guard there.

Finally, consider the McG v Diaz matchups. Diaz, after the first fight, was being touted as simply being a terrible stylistic matchup for McG - I agreed. He's somewhat un-knockout-able and his jiu jitsu would still be better than McG's even if McG got a 5 year head start on their next matchup. What happened, McG lost. Second time round he and his team changed his gameplan. They sacked the grappling, worked in a lot of leg kicks and managed to strike their way to a 5 round points decision.

Does he have a chance against Mayweather? I think he does, well, a bigger one than most are prepared to acknowledge. This is combat sports and stranger things have happened.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I'm not sure about their attire but they will probably wear it well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dinkydoo View Post
    I think everyone writing off McGregor are being a bit hasty here.

There is no way that McG is going to stand and try to box with one of the greatest (if not the greatest) defensive boxers of all time. He knows he won't win that game and his (and his team's) fight IQ and experience are to good for that.

Imo, McG will be counting on Mayweather never having fought someone who moves like an MMA fighter before. The first few rounds are going to be a new experience for him too and here lies the opportunity for McG to get inside his head and lay the foundations for a massive upset.

In addition to this, Mayweather's guard where he rolls the shoulder is less effective against someone adopting the opposite stance (McG is southpaw). Look at the Davies v Taylor fight just last weekend. Davies' right side was quite open and Taylor managed to get a bit of joy at finding gaps in his guard there.

Finally, consider the McG v Diaz matchups. Diaz, after the first fight, was being touted as simply being a terrible stylistic matchup for McG - I agreed. He's somewhat un-knockout-able and his jiu jitsu would still be better than McG's even if McG got a 5 year head start on their next matchup. What happened, McG lost. Second time round he and his team changed his gameplan. They sacked the grappling, worked in a lot of leg kicks and managed to strike their way to a 5 round points decision.

Does he have a chance against Mayweather? I think he does, well, a bigger one than most are prepared to acknowledge. This is combat sports and stranger things have happened.

I mean, I'd love for you to find a stranger thing than boxer without a professional fight beating one of the greatest of all time. That really would be up there with the strangest things of them all.

No contest IMO. Countless fighters over the years have adopted all sorts of tactics vs Mayweather and people have said 'Mayweather won't be ready for such and such.' And well, he was.

I'm not sure about their attire but they will probably wear it well.
    Ha ha you got it eventually mate

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by HibernianJK View Post
    I mean, I'd love for you to find a stranger thing than boxer without a professional fight beating one of the greatest of all time. That really would be up there with the strangest things of them all.

No contest IMO. Countless fighters over the years have adopted all sorts of tactics vs Mayweather and people have said 'Mayweather won't be ready for such and such.' And well, he was.
    Boxing records aside, why do you think it's a no contest?

I've went into a little detail about why I think McGregor's got a sporting chance at least.

I've went into a little detail about why I think McGregor's got a sporting chance at least.

I would answer by saying watch Mayweather v Moseley. Watch how Mayweather changes up after getting hit big twice in the 2nd round. Watch how he uses Moseleys success and confidence against him to win 10 rounds on the spin.

Floyd isn't just a good boxer he is one of the all time great boxing technicians and has an almost unrivalled ring IQ in the modern era. McGreggor may well KO Floyd in the 1st or 2nd round with a big shot (although FMs chin is an underrated asset) but if it goes longer than that Mayweather will figure him out and find a way to win. He always does.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I would answer by saying watch Mayweather v Moseley. Watch how Mayweather changes up after getting hit big twice in the 2nd round. Watch how he uses Moseleys success and confidence against him to win 10 rounds on the spin.

Floyd isn't just a good boxer he is one of the all time great boxing technicians and has an almost unrivalled ring IQ in the modern era. McGreggor may well KO Floyd in the 1st or 2nd round with a big shot (although FMs chin is an underrated asset) but if it goes longer than that Mayweather will figure him out and find a way to win. He always does.
    I think that's more than fair; if McGregor tries to out-box him then he is going to lose. Forgetting how good FM is fpr a minute, there is just going to be too many little tricks that work in boxing that aren't used in MMA and as the fight progresses, even if he keeps everything tight, its these details that are likely to lose him the fight.

The same would apply in reverse if FM fought a top level MMA fighter with 4oz gloves on without grappling or kicks.

I think the only approach that could work for him is looking to exploit some kind of niche aspect of boxing that MMA fighters are well prepared for. I don't have any boxing or MMA experience above a bit of sparring so what that may be, I don't know. Typically McG hides his power left hand with a low guard, so it's difficult to see coming after he draws opponents in order to counter..... but that might not work against someone as good as FM - and he might end up on his arse looking stupid in round 1.

It's going to be entertaining whatever happens!

Last edited by Dinkydoo; 12-07-2017 at 07:57 PM.

Ha ha you got it eventually mate
    I have not been getting very much at all lately! 😎

I'd fancy McGregor in any other kind of fight,mma,square go outside the shops or a water fight but not in a boxing ring.

Still can't knock him he's created himself some brand and more or less talked himself into a multi millionaire.

I have not been getting very much at all lately! 😎
    You and me both buddy 😂

United we stand here....

Who's he fighting?
    I know I quoted this before, but my wife actually laughed at that during her breakfast this morning while working. Not seen that for a long time.

Hibs.net saving marriages since 1995.

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    McGregor is dishing out pelters galore here hahaha

Shame it won't end the way I want it to

"40 years of age carrying a schoolbag and the man doesn't even f***** read!"

It has been done to death by Pretty Boy regarding how Mayweathers patience, brain and ability don't allow for even the most awkward opponents to have much success.

The fact that Mcgregor is different will maybe pose a problem for what 1 round, 2 maybe? He's encountered awkward fighters before. But the fact his defense and as PB said when he is hit (rarely) his chin holds up.

Does Mcgregor really hit harder than professional boxers such as Canelo? No he doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by HibernianJK View Post
    It has been done to death by Pretty Boy regarding how Mayweathers patience, brain and ability don't allow for even the most awkward opponents to have much success.

The fact that Mcgregor is different will maybe pose a problem for what 1 round, 2 maybe? He's encountered awkward fighters before. But the fact his defense and as PB said when he is hit (rarely) his chin holds up.

Does Mcgregor really hit harder than professional boxers such as Canelo? No he doesn't.
    All FM's awkward opponents to date have been boxers, so McGs style is definitely going to be more of a wildcard than your typical tricky boxer.

Will it be more successful, who knows.

McG doesn't usually knock people out with raw power anyway, so being unable to hit as hard as Canelo is, to an extent, irrelevant.

McGregor has a small chance in the 1st or 2nd round to catch Mayweather off guard as his stance and technique will be completely different to anything Mayweather has faced. If McGregor can catch him cold then he might win by KO but i'd say its about a 200/1 shot (which at the end of the day is still a chance). If it goes beyond the 3rd round Mayweather will have figured him out and will completely outbox McGregor and probably stop him later on.

Mayweather claimed in the press conference he would fight McGregor in the octagon with 4oz gloves on which nobody on earth believes. Mayweather's hands are brittle and have been since the Gatti fight and if he was to fight McGregor in MMA he would be knocked out within about a minute.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    just been looking at the odds for the fight, obviously mayweather is odds on favourite but only getting 4/1 for mcgregor, might stick a few quid on just in case, stranger things have happened

If you are betting on McGregor to win you may as well back him to win by KO and get the better odds. There is absolutely not a hope in hell he will win on points.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    If you are betting on McGregor to win you may as well back him to win by KO and get the better odds. There is absolutely not a hope in hell he will win on points.
    Yep, that's what I'll be doing.

Probably stick 30 quid on it. If it doesn't work out then its just a (albeit expensive) bit of fun. If he pulls it off then I'll be quids in!

That press conference was quality "he's dressed like a little breakdancer" the Brooklyn conference should be good plenty Irish will be there

"Does this microphone work? Well then fk that one 🥊🤣

Watching every press conference and enjoying every moment with booze and food. This is showtime.

I have not felt like this since a kid watching Ali.