hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 94

Thread: The monarchy

  1. #31
    @hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Leith
    Age
    38
    Posts
    3,810
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The British tourism agency has reported that the royal family generates close to 500 million pounds, or about $767 million, every year in tourism revenue, drawing visitors to historic royal sites like the Tower of London, Windsor Castle, and Buckingham Palace.23 Jul 2013
    What that doesn't tell you is how they came up with the figure, they guestimated that 1/4 of tourism to Britain was down to the royals


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The British tourism agency has reported that the royal family generates close to 500 million pounds, or about $767 million, every year in tourism revenue, drawing visitors to historic royal sites like the Tower of London, Windsor Castle, and Buckingham Palace.23 Jul 2013
    Buck House visits per year - 413K
    Palace of Versailles visits per year - >3M

    If only we had a nice shiny guillotine ...

  4. #33
    Coaching Staff NAE NOOKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Galashiels
    Posts
    9,113
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The monarchy generates vast sums for the nation (about half a billion pounds every year) through tourism. Outdated for sure, but people love the colour and pageantry it brings and for me we're better off with it than without it. The royals have close ties to Scotland and remain very popular here, which is why even the odious Alex Salmond was keen to make retaining the monarchy part of his failed 2014 referendum agenda.
    Any statistics showing the royal family attract tourists are pure conjecture and considering far more tourists visit France where there is no monarchy than the UK it hardly makes a case for the theory that tourists wouldn't come if there was no royal family either.

    I would hardly call having a couple of holiday homes and giving themselves titles like the Duke of Edinburgh or Lord of the Isles or whatever qualifies as close ties to Scotland ..... the last British monarch to be born in Scotland was something like 400 years ago, you would have thought that if they were so concerned about their 'Scottishness' at least once in that 400 years they would have went to the bother of dropping a sprog here ..... I understand that the queens sister was born here, but when she was neither her nor Lizzy were anywhere near the top of the royal tree so far as the succession was concerned.

    As for being 'popular' most folk I know are at best totally ambivalent to the royals.

    As for Alex Salmond ..... why on earth would he go into one fight and at the same time pick another, no general looks for a battle on two fronts coz its madness, as that nice Mr Hitler would tell you. Saying Scotland would keep the royals post independence would be unlikely to kick republicans like me into such a frenzy that we wouldn't have voted yes .... but saying we would ditch the royals afterwards would undoubtedly have swayed some of your more dedicated royalist who were leaning towards yes to vote otherwise .... I doubt he came to that conclusion because the royals are 'very' popular, but because it would have caused a distraction neither him nor the yes campaign needed.

    At the end of the day none of that matters if you are a confirmed republican like me ... its not an economic argument its a moral one ... nobody should be set above another citizen of this, or any other country, because of who they were born. Accident of birth should not entitle you to the position of head of state, nor should it entitle you to automatic respect or deference .... its adding insult to bloody injury to expect us to pay for the privilege.

    My ex wife once went for a job at a local estate and was told that if lord X came into the office he should be referred to as 'your grace' like some sort of episode of upstairs downstairs ..... 19th century bloody nonsense.
    Last edited by NAE NOOKIE; 14-03-2017 at 03:12 PM.

  5. #34
    Testimonial Due Colr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    London
    Age
    50
    Posts
    2,159
    Quote Originally Posted by 21.05.2016 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes or no?


    Personally I think its an outdated nonsence that we have these unelected people that have the highest stake in society for no reason other than the fact they were lucky enough to be born into it.
    No. Get rid of the House of Lords and set it up as a UK assembly under the 4 seperate parliaments to deal with collective, federal issues then elect a president rotating across the 4 UK countries.

  6. #35
    Testimonial Due Colr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    London
    Age
    50
    Posts
    2,159

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The monarchy generates vast sums for the nation (about half a billion pounds every year) through tourism. Outdated for sure, but people love the colour and pageantry it brings and for me we're better off with it than without it. The royals have close ties to Scotland and remain very popular here, which is why even the odious Alex Salmond was keen to make retaining the monarchy part of his failed 2014 referendum agenda.
    I don't swallow that. Paris seems to do OK for tourists and its nowhere near as nice as London!!@

    Most foreigners (esp US) when pushed will admit they find the royal family a ridiculous anachronism.

    They're at the top of the class system. If we are to dismantle that, we need to start at the top.

  7. #36
    First Team Breakthrough
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    369
    Get the queen and the royal family in the bin.

  8. #37
    @hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Down East
    Posts
    10,069
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Do you believe that the money generated through tourism (and it's not half a billion) would just disappear if we got rid of the monarchy?

    "Well we were going to vacation in the U.K, but I just don't see any reason to now. I'd been looking forward to meeting the Queen, but with the royal family being abolished, I think I'll just go to Disneyland instead."
    Just checked the change in my pocket. I don't see any dollars or euros, etc.
    Where's my share of the so-called tourist billions?

  9. #38
    Testimonial Due Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Lytham St Annes
    Age
    53
    Posts
    1,748
    I'd abolish Parliament and restore absolute monarchy.

    Politicians are self promoting egotistical *****

  10. #39
    First Team Breakthrough
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    495
    I think the royals are far more sinister than anyone really wants to admit.

  11. #40
    @hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Down East
    Posts
    10,069
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd abolish Parliament and restore absolute monarchy.

    Politicians are self promoting egotistical *****
    The ideal rule is by a fair and wise tyrant.

  12. #41
    Testimonial Due Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Lytham St Annes
    Age
    53
    Posts
    1,748
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The ideal rule is by a fair and wise tyrant.


  13. #42
    Old enough to know better. Stupid enough to do it anyway. Mr White's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    7,705
    There's no chance of an equal, fair or just society with the kind of unequal, unfair and unjust privilege that the royal family enjoy imo.

  14. #43
    Testimonial Due Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Lytham St Annes
    Age
    53
    Posts
    1,748
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There's no chance of an equal, fair or just society with the kind of unequal, unfair and unjust privilege that the royal family enjoy imo.
    Whether its the monarchy, politicians, business or whatever, money holds the power and influence, always has done, always will do. You only have to look at our justice system (which is better than most countries) to see that. The more money you can throw at soething the more chance you have at success. Thats hardly a fair and just society.

  15. #44
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Brandenburg
    Age
    52
    Posts
    9,037
    Off with their heads!

  16. #45
    Old enough to know better. Stupid enough to do it anyway. Mr White's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    7,705
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Whether its the monarchy, politicians, business or whatever, money holds the power and influence, always has done, always will do. You only have to look at our justice system (which is better than most countries) to see that. The more money you can throw at soething the more chance you have at success. Thats hardly a fair and just society.
    Politicians fight their way through elections. Successful business people out think their competitors. Fair play to them for their effort even if their intentions usually tend toward the machiavellian.

    On the other hand,and just for example, let's look at Prince Edward. Useless **** who's had everything paid for by his underlings (... the unpriveleged rest of us) throughout his pointless pampered life. If the intention is to strive toward a fair society then having a monarchy is an absolute non-starter for me.
    Last edited by Mr White; 14-03-2017 at 10:06 PM.

  17. #46
    Testimonial Due Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Lytham St Annes
    Age
    53
    Posts
    1,748
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Politicians fight their way through elections. Successful business people out think their competitors. Fair play to them for their effort even if their intentions usually tend toward the machiavellian.

    On the other hand,and just for example, let's look at Prince Edward. Useless **** who's had everything paid for by his underlings (... us) throughout his pointless pampered life. As a template for a fair society having a monarchy is an absolute non-starter for me.
    Society would be no fairer without a monarchy. It makes no difference to the day to day living of any of our lives.

  18. #47
    Old enough to know better. Stupid enough to do it anyway. Mr White's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    7,705
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Society would be no fairer without a monarchy. It makes no difference to the day to day living of any of our lives.
    I disagree. It has a trickle down effect and does influence how our society functions. In theory there's no barrier to people trying to become politicians or being successful in business. The monarchy on the other hand is closed to all but a very select few. I say you can't have a society that places any genuine emphasis on fairness and or equality on that basis. And that's the kind of society I would like to see.

  19. #48
    Testimonial Due Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Lytham St Annes
    Age
    53
    Posts
    1,748
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I disagree. It has a trickle down effect and does influence how our society functions. There's no barrier to people trying to become politicians or being successful in business. The monarchy on the other hand is closed to all but a very select few. I say you can't have a society that places any genuine emphasis on fairness and or equality on that basis. And that's the kind of society I would like to see.
    We can agree to disagree my friend.

    IMO power is corrupt no matter who the power is.

  20. #49
    Old enough to know better. Stupid enough to do it anyway. Mr White's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    7,705
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We can agree to disagree my friend.

    IMO power is corrupt no matter who the power is.
    Sadly probably so. However that doesn't justify making it easy for some by accident of birth while others have to bleed and sweat just to survive.

  21. #50
    Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Musselburgh
    Age
    52
    Posts
    2,557
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We can agree to disagree my friend.

    IMO power is corrupt no matter who the power is.
    Not all people in power are corrupt, but they are more likely to be corrupt if they are in power through privilege of birth.

    Leadership needs to be earned not inherited. The monarchy is one of the last bastions of a discredited British Empire which should have no place in a modern society.

  22. #51
    First Team Regular Berwickhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Kelty Fife
    Age
    54
    Posts
    777
    Quote Originally Posted by HomeTeam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would get rid of the Monarchy. Their friendship with Jimmy Savile spoke volumes on how they operate.
    That's like saying lets get rid of Hibernian FC... They employed Gordon Neely, speaks volumes on how a club operates....... What a load of tosh


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  23. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Me too, but isn't going to happen. The old girl is in her nineties; let her see out her time then have the debate. House of Lords needs to go, too.
    I'm no fan of the royals,but I'd get rid of the house of Lords 1st and as soon as.

  24. #53
    Testimonial Due Geo_1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In my Joy Division Oven Gloves
    Posts
    3,616
    Quote Originally Posted by hibs#1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm no fan of the royals,but I'd get rid of the house of Lords 1st and as soon as.
    Did you see this? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39255034 Taking taxpayers money for nothing but we don't want to shine the spotlight of the media on the sensitive little souls. A pity we didn't have a 18th century revolution along with most of the civilised world.

  25. #54
    Coaching Staff Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    1000's of people's Barcelona
    Posts
    31,708
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd abolish Parliament and restore absolute monarchy.

    Politicians are self promoting egotistical *****
    Huzzah!
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned 1,789.68!



  26. #55
    First Team Breakthrough
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    495
    Quote Originally Posted by Berwickhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's like saying lets get rid of Hibernian FC... They employed Gordon Neely, speaks volumes on how a club operates....... What a load of tosh


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    OK so you are telling me the Royals knew nothing of Sir Jimmys antics? He was a close friend to the Royals, a fix it person for them so to speak.

  27. #56
    First Team Regular Berwickhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Kelty Fife
    Age
    54
    Posts
    777
    Quote Originally Posted by HomeTeam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    OK so you are telling me the Royals knew nothing of Sir Jimmys antics? He was a close friend to the Royals, a fix it person for them so to speak.
    In a word "Yes" I do believe they knew nothing about it, do you believe that Hibs management and board knew about Neely's antics.... Me neither


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  28. #57
    First Team Breakthrough
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    495
    Quote Originally Posted by Berwickhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In a word "Yes" I do believe they knew nothing about it, do you believe that Hibs management and board knew about Neely's antics.... Me neither


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    OK so you can become a close friends and associate to the Royals and be welcomed into their homes with out the security services checking everything detail about you.

    In Jimmys words from his book, if the took him down he was taking everyone down with him. Hence why the day after he died it all came out but not before.

    The awful truth needs faced or it will never change.

  29. #58
    First Team Regular Berwickhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Kelty Fife
    Age
    54
    Posts
    777
    I agree whole heartedly.... Saville was protected by the establishment..... He should have prosecuted to full and jailed for life, however I would suggest the finger should point at the sleazy politicians who actually have power who were also involved in this depraved behaviour


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  30. #59
    @hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Musselburgh
    Age
    25
    Posts
    3,984
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: ELHACHE

    The monarchy

    Quote Originally Posted by Berwickhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree whole heartedly.... Saville was protected by the establishment..... He should have prosecuted to full and jailed for life, however I would suggest the finger should point at the sleazy politicians who actually have power who were also involved in this depraved behaviour


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Some of his interviews are shocking.

    The whole Johnny Rotten thing is absolutely mental too
    Last edited by Alex Trager; 16-03-2017 at 11:46 AM.

  31. #60
    Testimonial Due Colr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    London
    Age
    50
    Posts
    2,159
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Trager View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Some of his interviews are shocking.

    The whole six vicious thing is absolutely mental too
    Apparently he didn't go for Xmas lunch at Maggie Thatchers though it would be horrific to think he did.

    What Siz Vicious thing?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved