hibs.net Messageboard

Page 66 of 89 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,980 of 2647

Thread: Indy Ref 2

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Of course I was. But the fact remains that some of those levers have been there since Day 1 of devolution, and none of the 3 parties who have been in power have seen fit to use them. The LibDems tried with their 1p on Income Tax to fund free higher education, but as soon as they got a sniff of power, that was forgotten about.

Which sums up my views on mainstream politicians... that the first rule of Government is to stay in Government.
    Of course it is. if you read back many pages ago I made that very same point when folk were saying the snp would disband post indy yes vote. I was making the point why would they when being in power is addictive however I concede there is a chance all or some of the parties may alliance or change names to some extent post indy yes vote.

glory glory

2. Log in to remove the advert

Nothing really shifting either way on this when it comes to the polls despite Sturgeon and Salmond's regular predictions of surges in support for independence following every utterance made by the PM:

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.co...ence-1-4427523

@hibs.net private member Golden Fleece's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    Nothing really shifting either way on this when it comes to the polls despite Sturgeon and Salmond's regular predictions of surges in support for independence following every utterance made by the PM:

YES 49%

NO 51%

in that particular survey when the don't knows are removed. Wait until June 9th and it may be interesting what the following polls suggest.

47% Yes tp 53% No in a Survation Poll

45% Yes to 55% No in Panelbase poll
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post

You only need to read the comments page to get the EDITORIAL LINE of this erm.....Newspaper! Jambo toilet roll!

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Got my 1st 2 local council election leaflets over the weekend.

The Tory one has a list on one side, number one on the list is to oppose a 2nd referendum, on the other side the whole thing is referendum orientated .

The 2nd one was Labour, its ALL about local issues ..... so currently they're ahead of the race in my household.

(its Gorgie/Sighthill by the way)
    "The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
    --Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback & sports analyst.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Alf View Post
    Got my 1st 2 local council election leaflets over the weekend.

The Tory one has a list on one side, number one on the list is to oppose a 2nd referendum, on the other side the whole thing is referendum orientated .

The 2nd one was Labour, its ALL about local issues ..... so currently they're ahead of the race in my household.

(its Gorgie/Sighthill by the way)

glory glory

Left by mutual consent!
    While the opposition and the MSM make the SNP to be "all about independence". The MSM constantly bring up the subject of independence to Nicola while opposition parties send leaflets through my door..... all about independence.....

Quote Originally Posted by High-On-Hibs View Post
    While the opposition and the MSM make the SNP to be "all about independence". The MSM constantly bring up the subject of independence to Nicola while opposition parties send leaflets through my door..... all about independence.....
    It's too important a decision to not be an issue surely?! You already had a vote in one of Scotlands biggest ever turnouts- and this has basically been ignored and independence is an issue again.
    My thoughts anyway. I worry about Scotlands future.

Quote Originally Posted by OsloHibs View Post
    It's too important a decision to not be an issue surely?! You already had a vote in one of Scotlands biggest ever turnouts- and this has basically been ignored and independence is an issue again.
    You're right, it is an issue

The issue we're having as well though is that it feels like it's everyone else except the SNP that brings up Ref2, that's not to say the SNP don't bring it up, just not everytime and never when talking about council elections.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    "The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OsloHibs View Post
    The point is , these are leaflets for local Council elections. They're nothing to do with the General Election or independence. They're about electing people to make sure the bins get emptied. Important stuff, but naff all to do with whether we're having a referendum or not.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

The point is , these are leaflets for local Council elections. They're nothing to do with the General Election or independence. They're about electing people to make sure the bins get emptied. Important stuff, but naff all to do with whether we're having a referendum or not.

Seen it on the Tories leaflets and that's it. The other parties are going on local issues.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Alf View Post
    You're right, it is an issue

The issue we're having as well though is that it feels like it's everyone else except the SNP that brings up Ref2, that's not to say the SNP don't bring it up, just not everytime and never when talking about council elections.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    Urmm was it not the SNP that called a motion in parliament for Indy2? And had Indy2 in their manifesto?

It really is bizarre that people suggest that it's everyone else apart from the SNP that are bringing up Indy2, that just a bonkers perspective. I mean if the SNP had stuck to their word and accepted the first referendum who would be talking about Independence now?

Sure the Tories have gone somewhat off track by making it a primary plank of their local election bumf which is rather odd but clearly they see that people vote along party lines no matter what the election is so see a consistent (if rather non sensical at a local level) message of opposition to the SNP and their obsession with Independence as a vote winner.

Quote Originally Posted by SiMar View Post
    Urmm was it not the SNP that called a motion in parliament for Indy2? And had Indy2 in their manifesto?

It really is bizarre that people suggest that it's everyone else apart from the SNP that are bringing up Indy2, that just a bonkers perspective. I mean if the SNP had stuck to their word and accepted the first referendum who would be talking about Independence now?

Sure the Tories have gone somewhat off track by making it a primary plank of their local election bumf which is rather odd but clearly they see that people vote along party lines no matter what the election is so see a consistent (if rather non sensical at a local level) message of opposition to the SNP and their obsession with Independence as a vote winner.
    No. The SNP are getting on with the day job for local elections while the other parties are clearly distracted.

Saying that I'm totally unimpressed by my local SNP candidate and am looking to see what the independent candidates have to offer.

On a national level I was surprised at how agitated Jeremy Corbyn was at the conference in Aviemore today as he spoke about Scotland and the SNP, he really became quite animated.

I don't think he has any great love for Scotland anyway but has the 40 seats he and the Scottish branch lost at the last election seared a hole through his heart? His fired up triad might have been better aimed at the Torys or even sparked a bit of passion when he spoke about the policies the audience nearly fell asleep at as he droned on.
    Space to let

Quote Originally Posted by SiMar View Post

Your first sentence is spot on, unfortunately that's not the whole picture.

You totally must know that the 1st referendum was a once in a generation unless something impacted on what we were all voting for? That's what was actually said..... If the Better Together folks had kept to their word then there would be no discussions of a 2nd referendum.

For what it's worth, I'm not voting SNP in the council elections (not all parties fell into to Tory Ref2 is the only issue hole) but will probably vote SNP in the general election.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The SNP's party political broadcast for Council elections is hilarious,I actually thought it was a comedy sketch.

Christopher Brookmyre has tweeted

Local council Tory candidate leaflet bemoans SNP's "obsession with #indyref2". Same leaflet mentions #indyref2 nine times in six pages
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    Christopher Brookmyre has tweeted
    I see fhe FM is now delaying her further indyref plans.

Whats wrong with the SNP, getting cold feet because the polls arent doing what they want them too?

Surely they dont think independence is becoming an electoral handicap?

@hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post

Whats wrong with the SNP, getting cold feet because the polls arent doing what they want them too?

We've got an election to win. Priorities my dear boy, priorities.

A bit difficult to set out plans when the opposition/UK Government won't engage, and introduce delaying tactics like Unnecessary General Elections.
    #Persevered

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    A bit difficult to set out plans when the opposition/UK Government won't engage, and introduce delaying tactics like Unnecessary General Elections.
    The Scottish Parliament is back and sitting as normal i believe... dont see why it would be so difficult.

Of course the UK Govt wont engage, they have stated their position and it hasnt changed.

The Scottish Parliament is back and sitting as normal i believe... dont see why it would be so difficult.

Of course the UK Govt wont engage, they have stated their position and it hasnt changed.
    The UK Government stated their position 'before' knowing what the proposal was.

It isn't too difficult to respond officially to the request, and discuss timescales. "Not at this time" was not an answer as the proposals were also for 'not at this time', so at least both sides were in agreement about that. But to not even agree to sit down and discuss a timescale is just petty and shows the Tory government has NO interest in Scotland at all.
    #Persevered

Concentrating on winning the local elections, it's no really too hard to grasp.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneyburn hibs View Post
    Concentrating on winning the local elections, it's no really too hard to grasp.
    But her job is to be FM?

I thought the indy ref was the most important thing, yet now it is subservient to two elections that the FM nor any of the Scotttish Govt are standing in?

But her job is to be FM?

I thought the indy ref was the most important thing, yet now it is subservient to two elections that the FM nor any of the Scotttish Govt are standing in?

I see you've got your lines through from Tory central office.

SG doing the day job today, and discussing the Rape clause, and APD.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    I see you've got your lines through from Tory central office.

SG doing the day job today, and discussing the Rape clause, and APD.
    Ha ha, touche!

It just seems odd that independence was urgent, but a couple of disappointing polls and now its not.

But her job is to be FM?

Should they not bother planning or taking part in them? You don't have come out with some far fetched theory nonsense.

Ha ha, touche!

It just seems odd that independence was urgent, but a couple of disappointing polls and now its not.
    The FM was going to outline the next steps when parliament resumed, however, that was before Theresa cut and run on a GE.

I thought Theresa might have waited for the Tory Election Fraud issue to be played out first but she U turned, and changed her mind on a GE, after saying Brexit was the most important thing on her mind.

Polls eh, who needs them.

C-R4V-wXkAEyQqH.jpg
    Last edited by ronaldo7; 25-04-2017 at 08:50 PM.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    Should they not bother planning or taking part in them? You don't have come out with some far fetched theory nonsense.
    Well its not what we are paying them for is it?

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    The FM was going to outline the next steps when parliament resumed, however, that was before Theresa cut and run on a GE.

I thought Theresa might have waited for the Tory Election Fraud issue to be played out first but she U turned, and changed her mind on a GE, after saying Brexit was the most important thing on her mind.

Polls eh, who needs them.

C-R4V-wXkAEyQqH.jpg
    So your defence is to have a go at the tories.

Ok, ill leave it there. Youre myopic at the best of times, im not even going to try during a double election campaign!

The total lack of the SNP's hoped-for rise in support for independence in the wake of, firstly, the PM's 'now is not the time' assertion, secondly the triggering of Article 50 and finally the announcement of a snap general election has presumably given Sturgeon pause for thought. If this latest poll is to be believed support for independence has actually declined significantly:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7700416.html