hibs.net Messageboard

Page 62 of 71 FirstFirst ... 12526061626364 ... LastLast
Results 1,831 to 1,860 of 2114

Thread: Indy Ref 2

  1. #1831
    @hibs.net private member Golden Fleece's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    between a brewery & distillery
    Posts
    10,941
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is the kind of stuff which makes my blood boil. A family who've bought into life in Scotland, being removed by the Home office lackies. This after the Brains went through their own personal trauma of being deported.

    These type of families are what we in Scotland need to increase our population, but we're not being served well by the Westminster Tory Government.

    https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp...r-deportation/

    I've only just come across this, so I'm not sure what the up to date picture is.

    Hopefully someone will see sense.
    Also had their driving licences withheld. Living in the middle of nowhere.!!!!
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #1832
    @hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    in a house in Bathgate
    Posts
    25,525
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Alf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is Ruth Davidson's response to the rape clause not a perfect advert for independence?

    Essentially she's admitting that Scotland is powerless at a UK level in this case and that the devolved government needs to mitigate the problem locally if it doesn't agree with it.

    Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

    i've never saw another politician with so much hatred and bitterness in her face every time she opens that gub, the labour yin can pull them as well

  4. #1833
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is the kind of stuff which makes my blood boil. A family who've bought into life in Scotland, being removed by the Home office lackies. This after the Brains went through their own personal trauma of being deported.

    These type of families are what we in Scotland need to increase our population, but we're not being served well by the Westminster Tory Government.

    https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp...r-deportation/

    I've only just come across this, so I'm not sure what the up to date picture is.

    Hopefully someone will see sense.
    dont often find myself agreeing with R7 but on this occasion i do , thats a shocking story .

  5. #1834
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    7,787
    Quote Originally Posted by makaveli1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    dont often find myself agreeing with R7 but on this occasion i do , thats a shocking story .
    And that's the reason we need a Scottish Immigration policy.

  6. #1835
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    7,578
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Alf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is Ruth Davidson's response to the rape clause not a perfect advert for independence?

    Essentially she's admitting that Scotland is powerless at a UK level in this case and that the devolved government needs to mitigate the problem locally if it doesn't agree with it.

    Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    Or a perfect example of how devolution works in that there is powers in Scotland to mitigate the policy?

    Or should I say should work as this has simply been used to grandstand when in reality the Scottish government could easily have been well prepared to mitigate the policy if the found it all so abhorrent.

    Not so say I agree with the 2 child cap or the subsequent exemption requirements cause I don't but the moral indignation of it all is a bit over the top from those that have the power to cancel it out for the people they govern.

  7. #1836
    @hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The 'Mains
    Posts
    2,569
    Quote Originally Posted by SiMar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Or a perfect example of how devolution works in that there is powers in Scotland to mitigate the policy?

    Or should I say should work as this has simply been used to grandstand when in reality the Scottish government could easily have been well prepared to mitigate the policy if the found it all so abhorrent.

    Not so say I agree with the 2 child cap or the subsequent exemption requirements cause I don't but the moral indignation of it all is a bit over the top from those that have the power to cancel it out for the people they govern.
    The word "mitigate" for me at least, is very telling.

    Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    "The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
    --Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback & sports analyst.

  8. #1837
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    7,787
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Alf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The word "mitigate" for me at least, is very telling.

    Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    It's called paying twice, or the UNION DIVIDEND, once to WM, and we've to find some more cash from our ever dwindling pocket money.

    Maybe we should take it out of the Education budget, or the NHS? Meanwhile, the Tories give their pals tax rebates, and forget to chase the tax avoiders.

  9. #1838
    Quote Originally Posted by SiMar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Or a perfect example of how devolution works in that there is powers in Scotland to mitigate the policy?

    Or should I say should work as this has simply been used to grandstand when in reality the Scottish government could easily have been well prepared to mitigate the policy if the found it all so abhorrent.

    Not so say I agree with the 2 child cap or the subsequent exemption requirements cause I don't but the moral indignation of it all is a bit over the top from those that have the power to cancel it out for the people they govern.
    Cancellation and mitigation are not the same thing. It's not like the Scottish Government can just say, we don't like this, we're not going to impliment it here and Westminster say "nae bother".

    Oh no, it's "mitigation". The policy will still be enforced in Scotland, but the local councils have the power to effectively pay for the cost of this policy in place of the mothers. Question is... where do they pull the funding from in order to do this? Keeping in mind that they are already operating on shoe string budgets.

  10. #1839
    @hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    2,699
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Alf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's got a Samsung.... The latest update has been a nightmare for the keyboard autocorrect feature.

    Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    The ability to proof read something isn't affected by the keyboard on the device.

  11. #1840
    Testimonial Due
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,337
    Quote Originally Posted by High-On-Hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Cancellation and mitigation are not the same thing. It's not like the Scottish Government can just say, we don't like this, we're not going to impliment it here and Westminster say "nae bother".

    Oh no, it's "mitigation". The policy will still be enforced in Scotland, but the local councils have the power to effectively pay for the cost of this policy in place of the mothers. Question is... where do they pull the funding from in order to do this? Keeping in mind that they are already operating on shoe string budgets.
    Its the constituional settlement that people voted for.

    And as i have said previously, having to makr decisions on prioritising spending is what government is all about. An indy Scotland wouldn't have a blank cheque.

    Its why opposition is easy and government is hard.

  12. #1841
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And that's the reason we need a Scottish Immigration policy.
    Scotland has a sparsely populated landscape with room to build several large new cities and many more towns. Plenty scope for population growth.

    glory glory

  13. #1842
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    7,578
    Quote Originally Posted by High-On-Hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Cancellation and mitigation are not the same thing. It's not like the Scottish Government can just say, we don't like this, we're not going to impliment it here and Westminster say "nae bother".

    Oh no, it's "mitigation". The policy will still be enforced in Scotland, but the local councils have the power to effectively pay for the cost of this policy in place of the mothers. Question is... where do they pull the funding from in order to do this? Keeping in mind that they are already operating on shoe string budgets.
    As I said I don't agree with the policy but none the less it's seems pretty clear that the Scottish Government have the devolved power to top up child benefit, have the power to create new benefits and they have the power to raise taxation to pay for it.

    Just seems everyone has been quite happy to play politics with the matter...esp the focus on one of the exceptions to the policy rather than the policy itself.

  14. #1843
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    7,787
    Local elections.

    Dunfermline Labour candidate investigated for disgusting Facebook posts.

    https://t.co/4IhgQyjuLL

  15. #1844
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Its the constituional settlement that people voted for.
    Eh, when did we vote for this settlement? You mean when were actually promised something far more radical?

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And as i have said previously, having to makr decisions on prioritising spending is what government is all about. An indy Scotland wouldn't have a blank cheque.

    Its why opposition is easy and government is hard.
    I agree about government prioritising it's spending and savings. I just don't agree with the way the tories prioritize their spendings and savings. They spend on tax cuts for millionaire tycoons while saving on "privileged" things such as tax credits used to top up a low wage economy and transport vehicles for the physically disabled.

    They underfund public and social services but have still managed to double the UK national debt figure since 2010.

    Conclusion: They are forking billions upon billions to private interests and leaving the public with the debt bomb.

  16. #1845
    Quote Originally Posted by SiMar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As I said I don't agree with the policy but none the less it's seems pretty clear that the Scottish Government have the devolved power to top up child benefit, have the power to create new benefits and they have the power to raise taxation to pay for it.

    Just seems everyone has been quite happy to play politics with the matter...esp the focus on one of the exceptions to the policy rather than the policy itself.
    I'm sure the UK Government would love to see the Scottish Government make cuts and raise taxation to mitigate their austerity policies. The perfect Holyrood shut down story they've been waiting for. Without EU rights and protections which brought us the Scottish Parliarment in the first place, they'll waste no time with the bulldozers. They just need to force the right political scenario.

  17. #1846
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    7,578
    Quote Originally Posted by High-On-Hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm sure the UK Government would love to see the Scottish Government make cuts and raise taxation to mitigate their austerity policies. The perfect Holyrood shut down story they've been waiting for. Without EU rights and protections which brought us the Scottish Parliarment in the first place, they'll waste no time with the bulldozers. They just need to force the right political scenario.
    Aye that's the cunning plan right enough

  18. #1847
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    7,787
    Local elections.

    Tory candidate in Fife caught out on twitter.

    Scottish Conservative candidate Kathleen Leslie, who works with children who have additional support needs, called the First Minister a “drooling hag” and “wee fish wife” in Twitter tirades.

    https://t.co/hH5TKGkJ2E

  19. #1848
    @hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    in a house in Bathgate
    Posts
    25,525
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Local elections.

    Tory candidate in Fife caught out on twitter.

    Scottish Conservative candidate Kathleen Leslie, who works with children who have additional support needs, called the First Minister a “drooling hag” and “wee fish wife” in Twitter tirades.

    https://t.co/hH5TKGkJ2E

    sounds like the utter fudbaw on here that called nicola sturgeon something to do with the krankies, real class

  20. #1849
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Brandenburg
    Age
    51
    Posts
    8,541
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    sounds like the utter fudbaw on here that called nicola sturgeon something to do with the krankies, real class
    As soon as someone starts attacking a female politician for how she looks, you know they're losing the political argument.

  21. #1850
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    sounds like the utter fudbaw on here that called nicola sturgeon something to do with the krankies, real class
    that was me , drooling hag is better though

  22. #1851
    @hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    in a house in Bathgate
    Posts
    25,525
    from a few weeks back http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/1...heated_debate/


    RUTH Davidson has been urged to apologise after mocking the accent of an SNPMSP,


    Ruth Davidson seriously shouldn't mock ANYONE for ANYTHING,




  23. #1852
    @hibs.net private member Golden Fleece's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    between a brewery & distillery
    Posts
    10,941
    Quote Originally Posted by northstandhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Scotland has a sparsely populated landscape with room to build several large new cities and many more towns. Plenty scope for population growth.

    glory glory
    3000 new homes north of Perth. 1500 west of Perth. 700 north of Scone.
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

  24. #1853
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    3000 new homes north of Perth. 1500 west of Perth. 700 north of Scone.
    I said plenty of scope for new large cities and towns not a couple of villages.



    glory glory

  25. #1854
    @hibs.net private member Golden Fleece's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    between a brewery & distillery
    Posts
    10,941
    Quote Originally Posted by northstandhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I said plenty of scope for new large cities and towns not a couple of villages.



    glory glory

    These are already planned to be built, meaning less need for cities being built at Drumnadrochit

    Edit: They would accommodate all new immigrants in a year, if built immediately. Pity they are expected to be built over 35 years
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

  26. #1855
    Testimonial Due
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,337
    Quote Originally Posted by High-On-Hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Eh, when did we vote for this settlement? You mean when were actually promised something far more radical?



    I agree about government prioritising it's spending and savings. I just don't agree with the way the tories prioritize their spendings and savings. They spend on tax cuts for millionaire tycoons while saving on "privileged" things such as tax credits used to top up a low wage economy and transport vehicles for the physically disabled.

    They underfund public and social services but have still managed to double the UK national debt figure since 2010.

    Conclusion: They are forking billions upon billions to private interests and leaving the public with the debt bomb.

    I know you dont agree with the tories, but millions do.

    Amd they have also cut taxes for everyone else too.

    Fwiw your point on low wage economy is i thknk valid.

    I know you wont like this, but we have to wait and see what a PM May does with a strong mandate. She may well address issues like that (althoufh she may not!)

    I do believe that she is a one nation tory at heart, and has felt constrained by her small majority and so has had to damce to the 1922 Commmittee's tune.

    But i,think, and hope that her political ambition and calculation will see her try amd cement herself firmly on the centre ground, where she could potentially stay for a long time.

    I do think she is different to cameron et al, i dont beliebe she has an eye on board apppintments in the city after her premiership, i think a career in politics will make her want to secure a genuine legacy. Its one of the reasons i like PMs to be older.

    Of course this may be wishful thinking, but as she is our only feasible option for PM, its wishful thinking we will all have to indulge in i think.

  27. #1856
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    7,787
    A wee update on the Zielsdorf family. It always seems to be the Highlands. The clearances have not finished yet.

    https://t.co/V2O0k6uoY3

  28. #1857
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    These are already planned to be built, meaning less need for cities being built at Drumnadrochit

    Edit: They would accommodate all new immigrants in a year, if built immediately. Pity they are expected to be built over 35 years
    You'd admit though Scotland's landscape is very sparsely populated with the potential to build new cities the size of Glasgow and Edinburgh which would aid population growth and aid Scotland becoming a much more diverse and cosmopolitan country?

    glory glory

  29. #1858
    Testimonial Due
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,337
    Quote Originally Posted by northstandhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You'd admit though Scotland's landscape is very sparsely populated with the potential to build new cities the size of Glasgow and Edinburgh which would aid population growth and aid Scotland becoming a much more diverse and cosmopolitan country?

    glory glory
    Why couldnt we just expand the ones we already have?

  30. #1859
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why couldnt we just expand the ones we already have?
    We already are.

    It seems to me Scotland is such an underpopulated country with vast areas ideal for scope to aid population growth and become a much more diverse and cosmopolitan country?

    glory glory

  31. #1860
    Testimonial Due
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,337
    So according to the highly respected Fraser of Allander Institute, one in four scottish jobs is dependant upon trade with the rest of the UK.

    A union dividend?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved