hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 88 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Indy Ref 2

@hibs.net private member HiBremian's Avatar
    A vote in early 2019 would mean 4-5 years between the 2 referenda, coincidentally the same as the cycle of parliamentary elections. In this age of constant plebisites we maybe need to get used to it. After all, if a pro-EU gvt is elected to Westminster in 2025 (forget 2020!) there may well be another EU vote. And if a unionist majority is elected to Holyrood in an indy Scotland in 2026 (or whenever the next again election is) we could have a "re-join the union" vote. That's democracy at the mo, until someone comes up with a better system for radical constitutional change.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

Delighted

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bore off Sturgeon. The lack of respect for the 2014 result by the SNP has been a disgrace. There was ongoing agitation for a second vote long before Brexit provided a convenient cover story. Had the vote gone the other way three years ago and there had been a call from no voters for a second referendum do you think the SNP would have given that a second's consideration? Yet you'd think by their stance since 2014 that the yes voters had in some way been unjustly served at the ballot box. Yes, the SNP's rasion d'etre is an independent Scotland but their record as a government which is supposed to act in the interests of all Scottish citizens has been pitiful, such has been their monomanical obsession with indyref2.

It's a nonsense to suggest there's a groundswell of fear across Scotland about leaving the EU. In fact a good number of SNP members and supporters actually voted for Brexit (I voted remain incidentally). It's an excuse, not a reason for another tiresome referendum which will serve no purpose other than to stir up all the bitterness among the more rabid elements on both sides, which was the most depressing aspect of 2014. This is nothing to do with Brexit, it's all about power for the SNP. Stock phrases such as 'against our will' and 'hard Brexit cliff edge' are simply powerful sound bites.
    If the population still want to stay then that's how they'll vote, if no then so be it. From that perspective I have no issue with another vote.

It would be nice though if we didn't spend a fortune and fall out in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Newry Hibs View Post
    Scotland voted to remain in the UK. The UK voted to Exit the EU. Scotland didn't get a vote on this.

Otherwise 'London' could say 'we' want to stay. Maybe my household will leave the EU and my neighbours will stay in.
    London has nothing to do with this. The landscape in every shape and form has changed significantly and it is democratically correct to give the people of Scotland a choice. Until this morning I was probably in the no camp (voted yes previously). Now I'm in the 'we actually have an option, let's see what's best' camp. It was the right thing to do.

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HiBremian View Post
    A vote in early 2019 would mean 4-5 years between the 2 referenda, coincidentally the same as the cycle of parliamentary elections. In this age of constant plebisites we maybe need to get used to it. After all, if a pro-EU gvt is elected to Westminster in 2025 (forget 2020!) there may well be another EU vote. And if a unionist majority is elected to Holyrood in an indy Scotland in 2026 (or whenever the next again election is) we could have a "re-join the union" vote. That's democracy at the mo, until someone comes up with a better system for radical constitutional change.

Jeepers , you make it sound like the hokey-cokey! I can just about conceive of a future vote on Europe but as for independence, once we've gone that's it imo

Quote Originally Posted by stantonhibby View Post
    Jeepers , you make it sound like the hokey-cokey! I can just about conceive of a future vote on Europe but as for independence, once we've gone that's it imo
    You're probably right, but technically there's no reason why unionist parties won't stand in holyrood elections post-indy. Maybe Ruthie will rename her party the "Conservative and Hokey-Cokey" party :-)

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    Bore off Sturgeon. The lack of respect for the 2014 result by the SNP has been a disgrace. There was ongoing agitation for a second vote long before Brexit provided a convenient cover story. Had the vote gone the other way three years ago and there had been a call from no voters for a second referendum do you think the SNP would have given that a second's consideration? Yet you'd think by their stance since 2014 that the yes voters had in some way been unjustly served at the ballot box. Yes, the SNP's rasion d'etre is an independent Scotland but their record as a government which is supposed to act in the interests of all Scottish citizens has been pitiful, such has been their monomanical obsession with indyref2.

It's a nonsense to suggest there's a groundswell of fear across Scotland about leaving the EU. In fact a good number of SNP members and supporters actually voted for Brexit (I voted remain incidentally). It's an excuse, not a reason for another tiresome referendum which will serve no purpose other than to stir up all the bitterness among the more rabid elements on both sides, which was the most depressing aspect of 2014. This is nothing to do with Brexit, it's all about power for the SNP. Stock phrases such as 'against our will' and 'hard Brexit cliff edge' are simply powerful sound bites.
    No purpose? Other than to settle the issue one way or another?

First Team Breakthrough
    I don't see the need to hold an independence referendum next year. Why not lets see what comes out the Brexit deal and then have the indyref2 vote? If that takes us until 2012 then I don't see a problem with that.

Asking people to vote on independence when they do not know what Brexit will look like is a bit unfair on the voter I think.

Bring It on though it will be a fierce battle I am sure.

Quote Originally Posted by HomeTeam View Post
    I don't see the need to hold an independence referendum next year. Why not lets see what comes out the Brexit deal and then have the indyref2 vote? If that takes us until 2012 then I don't see a problem with that.

Asking people to vote on independence when they do not know what Brexit will look like is a bit unfair on the voter I think.

Which is why we are not doing that.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

@hibs.net private member Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HomeTeam View Post

But we should a clearer view of what form Brexit will take by the autumn of next year - as stated by Nicola Sturgeon.

@hibs.net private member Newry Hibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristolhibby View Post
    I guess that is why she mentioned Autumn 18 to Spring 19 at the earliest. Give people like yourself the chance to assess both options.

J
    Or it is blatant opportunism. Around then is the crux of Brexit which may be fraught with difficulties and the UK gov spending time on this rather than on a second referendum.

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Except they said that last time around as well!
    ​#PERSEVERED

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    If the population still want to stay then that's how they'll vote, if no then so be it. From that perspective I have no issue with another vote.
    I personally do have an issue with having referendums ad nauseam until we get the desired outcome.
    Referendums are important & vital in democracy, but where you have a binary choice of status quo or change, then we have to be careful to not lessen the process by repeatedly asking the same question until the "change" is returned as that will be the last referendum on that question.

Left by mutual consent!
    A ****ing disgrace.

@hibs.net private member
    Can we have a separate thread for the usual suspects on both sides who take over the conversation and copy and paste their posts from the last thread

All I hope is that Alastair Darling isn't involved this time, can't bare to look at those eyebrows again!

Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    I personally do have an issue with having referendums ad nauseam until we get the desired outcome.
    Referendums are important & vital in democracy, but where you have a binary choice of status quo or change, then we have to be careful to not lessen the process by repeatedly asking the same question until the "change" is returned as that will be the last referendum on that question.
    But one of Better Together's main arguments was that an iScotland no longer be part of the EU. Now the opposite looks more likely. For me that nullifies the result of the first referendum.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    This doesn't confirm another Independence referendum - it merely says she's going to ask for permission for one. I sincerely doubt Westminster will grant her that.
    Westminster won't block it.

Weird that Holyrood needs to ask permission to have a vote on breaking the union, I don't remember us ever asking the EU if it was ok to go ahead and vote on leaving that.

As long as Scottish voters say no to indy, then promptly elect a pro-indy gvt at Holyrood, I would humbly suggest it's the voters' fault. Kez's latest federalism move doesn't seem to have set the house on fire either.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibs Class View Post
    Except they said that last time around as well!
    You can't possibly deny that there has been a huge change of circumstances though?

It's not like the SNP have just decided that we should have another referendum because Limmy Show was only broadcast on BBC Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by frazeHFC View Post
    Aw god not again. Will be many people getting unfollowed on social media, was draining last time.
    Absolutely. I'm closing my facebook later today once I've swapped e-mail address with a couple of people so we don't lose touch altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by hibs0666 View Post
    A ****ing disgrace.
    I was bit unsure but that's made my day.

@hibs.net private member Golden Fleece's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibs0666 View Post
    A ****ing disgrace.
    Nice to see the reasoned debate has started already.
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Hmm, you would hope so but if it was say Yes 49% & No 51% for example I doubt it.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristolhibby View Post
    Does Brexit not entitle folk to think again?
    Indeed it does, and my vote is likely to change from No to Yes.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    But one of Better Together's main arguments was that an iScotland no longer be part of the EU. Now the opposite looks more likely. For me that nullifies the result of the first referendum.
    I didn't think that was one of their main arguments but fair enough if it was.
    Unfortunately this was a referendum on independence, with many MANY issues on the line. We had our EU referendum last year and we are where we are because of that.
    I still don't think it's right to have referendums every time there's a change on the political horizon, and as I say, a YES will signal the end of that particular referendum question,,,,is that how democracy works, keep asking the question until you get the right answer?

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Unfortunately this was a referendum on independence, with many MANY issues on the line. We had our EU referendum last year and we are where we are because of that.
    I still don't think it's right to have referendums every time there's a change on the political horizon, and as I say, a YES will signal the end of that particular referendum question,,,,is that how democracy works, keep asking the question until you get the right answer?
    We have general elections every 4/5 years. Why not just have one election and keep those in power forever. Why keep asking the question until you get the government you want?

Do you not feel in the least bit aggrieved that we're at the mercy of Westminster when it comes to 'brexit', whether for it or against? For me, the brexit vote and the subsequent ignorance/arrogance towards any opinion other than that of the hard line tory, makes this a must for the Scottish people. I'm not sure which way I'll vote in indyref2, however I'm glad I've now got a legitimate option and reasoned arguments (in between the rhetoric) to listen to over the next year or so.

@hibs.net private member Golden Fleece's Avatar
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-Haaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Game On

With support for the SNP at it's current level, talk of independence and another referendum is unavoidable. However, I'm fairly sure that had the Brexit vote gone the other way, it would have stayed as just talk for the foreseeable future.

The UK that people voted to remain part of is about to change radically and many of the arguments that were used against Scottish independence were used by the same people as reasons to vote remain in the Brexit vote.

Surely that's enough to justify another referendum?