hibs.net Messageboard

Page 89 of 89 FirstFirst ... 3979878889
Results 2,641 to 2,647 of 2647

Thread: Indy Ref 2

Ireland's Greatest Import Mr White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you hang on long enough you can vote Y/N to reunification.
    More chance of Korean reunification in my lifetime I suspect!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    More chance of Korean reunification in my lifetime I suspect!
    I actually think that's a lot likelier. Both populations are all for it. The north is bound to open up sooner or later, probably when China runs out of patience propping them up. I think when it does come, like in Germany, it will be speedy.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    I actually think that's a lot likelier. Both populations are all for it. The north is bound to open up sooner or later, probably when China runs out of patience propping them up. I think when it does come, like in Germany, it will be speedy.
    It's a fascinating prospect and certainly cheerier than the scenarios that are currently being war-gamed!

Numbers-wise I think it's almost exponential. NK would add around fifty percent to the population, whereas East Germany was a lot less. How that translates into economic development is anyone's guess. If managed right then Japan would be rightly wary as Korea would be a real competitor.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Stuff Korea - we have power crisis at home right now.
    All eyes should be fixed on what the sneaky UK government is up to.

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    It's a fascinating prospect and certainly cheerier than the scenarios that are currently being war-gamed!

Numbers-wise I think it's almost exponential. NK would add around fifty percent to the population, whereas East Germany was a lot less. How that translates into economic development is anyone's guess. If managed right then Japan would be rightly wary as Korea would be a real competitor.
    I think they'd rather have a neighbour less likely to launch missiles, possibly even nuclear ones, in their general direction.

Plus, dragging the North into the 21st century surely represents a huge trading opportunity?

I think Japan would rather have a stable neighbour, even if they are a formidable competitor, with a large portion of the country whose improving living standards and demand for imports will immediately drastically increase.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    Stuff Korea - we have power crisis at home right now.
    All eyes should be fixed on what the sneaky UK government is up to.
    A lot of power grabbing going on and we continue to turn a blind eye to it. Utterly shameful.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I think they'd rather have a neighbour less likely to launch missiles, possibly even nuclear ones, in their general direction.

Plus, dragging the North into the 21st century surely represents a huge trading opportunity?

I think Japan would rather have a stable neighbour, even if they are a formidable competitor, with a large portion of the country whose improving living standards and demand for imports will immediately drastically increase.
    Eventually maybe, but NK would, i imagine be an enormous drag on the SK economy for many decades. East Germany is still way behind the West as gar as i know (although there are others in here bettet placed to comment on that) but in the same way that the irish arent desperate to integrate the economic basket case of NI, i imagine many in the south of korea would dread the affects of unification.