Thread: Indy Ref 2

Indy Ref 2

And we are off and running.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

2. Log in to remove the advert

We will be voting again at some point between Autumn next year and Spring 2019. Bring it on.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Game on! It's Jocky at the oche!

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Is it a mistake to have stated the Indy Ref could be cancelled if a suitable brexit deal gets put on the table? Think she's left herself open for another "Vow" type manoeuvre.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    This doesn't confirm another Independence referendum - it merely says she's going to ask for permission for one. I sincerely doubt Westminster will grant her that.
    Okay, technically I'm a serial killer...

@hibs.net private member johnbc70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This doesn't confirm another Independence referendum - it merely says she's going to ask for permission for one. I sincerely doubt Westminster will grant her that.
    So what happens if they say No, where does she go?!

Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    It would be a remarkably stupid move by Westminster to block it. May might try and influence the timing of it but it is unlikely that she will refuse to allow it to go ahead.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    It would be a remarkably stupid move by Westminster to block it. May might try and influence the timing of it but it is unlikely that she will refuse to allow it to go ahead.
    She doesn't strike me as someone that really gives a monkeys what people in Scotland think.

What are the possible consequences of her saying no to the vote? Nobody voted for her party up here anyway.

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    Is it a mistake to have stated the Indy Ref could be cancelled if a suitable brexit deal gets put on the table? Think she's left herself open for another "Vow" type manoeuvre.
    It may, and it's a risk. But once bitten, twice shy.
    Also, I genuinely believe they will make a total James Blint out of the Brexit negotiations that Independence will be even more attractive. I also think the EU will use Scotland to leverage the rUK.

Perfect timing, and gives the Tories the rope to hang themselves.

This time before the 2014 referendum Yes was at 28%. Today Yes is a ball hair from 50-50. It's only going one direction.

J

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    She doesn't strike me as someone that really gives a monkeys what people in Scotland think.

What are the possible consequences of her saying no to the vote? Nobody voted for her party up here anyway.
    The consequences would be a guaranteed Yes Vote. She knows that, which is why it will be agreed.

Imagine an unelected, austerity cutting, Hard Brexit steering Westminster Prime Minister telling Scotland that they can't have a vote!

J

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Frazdazhfc
    Aw god not again. Will be many people getting unfollowed on social media, was draining last time.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristolhibby View Post
    The consequences would be a guaranteed Yes Vote. She knows that, which is why it will be agreed.

Imagine an unelected, austerity cutting, Hard Brexit steering Westminster Prime Minister telling Scotland that they can't have a vote!

J
    Wouldn't be a guaranteed yes vote if there's no election.

@hibs.net private member Golden Fleece's Avatar
    Stolen from Twitter
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

Quote Originally Posted by frazeHFC View Post
    Aw god not again. Will be many people getting unfollowed on social media, was draining last time.
    This was honestly my first thought. Some of the stuff on behalf of both the Yes and No campaign was frankly embarrassing

@hibs.net private member Green Man's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheMightyJag PSN ID: FiveOClockHero
    Although I'm 100% in favour of independence, I wasn't sure whether I wanted another referendum so soon. Now it's on the cards I'm delighted that we'll (if all goes to plan) get another chance to go for it. The Yes campaign is in a much stronger starting position this time round. Bring it on.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Frazdazhfc
    Quote Originally Posted by 1875M View Post
    This was honestly my first thought. Some of the stuff on behalf of both the Yes and No campaign was frankly embarrassing
    Yeah and the complete non-respect for people's views annoyed me. "If you vote x you are an embarrassment" etc. I'll decide thanks ya plumb.

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post

As opposed to Sturgeon who only doesn't give a monkeys about what a majority of people in Scotland think, otherwise she wouldn't be wanting to ask the same question again so soon. Once in a lifetime / generation?!
    ​#PERSEVERED

@hibs.net private member Golden Fleece's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibs Class View Post
    As opposed to Sturgeon who only doesn't give a monkeys about what a majority of people in Scotland think, otherwise she wouldn't be wanting to ask the same question again so soon. Once in a lifetime / generation?!
    Probably is in parts of the west of Scotland, or if you are a lemming
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

Does Brexit not entitle folk to think again?

She does have a clear mandate to call for another referundum. Brexit was a total game changer.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    The majority being those who want to stay in the EU, you mean?

As Warburton (who's a F@nny) once said: 'with respect', that majority was taken under very, very different circumstances and whether you are for or against, I'm not sure you can argue that it's not the democratic thing to now do. We have absolutely no say in 'brexit' and overwhelmingly voted for it not to happen.

It's a referendum that needs to be held imo. Brexit was, whether people like it or not, a game changer.

A vote either way now should answer the question for the forseeable. Tbh I'm undecided as it stands, leaning towards yes, but like last time my vote is up for grabs.
    I fell in love with football as I was later to fall in love with women,. Suddenly, uncritically giving no thought to the pain it could bring. - Nick Hornby

Quote Originally Posted by SeanWilson View Post
    As Warburton (who's a F@nny) once said: 'with respect', that majority was taken under very, very different circumstances and whether you are for or against, I'm not sure you can argue that it's not the democratic thing to now do. We have absolutely no say in 'brexit' and overwhelmingly voted for it not to happen.
    May I also add, especially not the type of Granite Hard Brexit that is being persued. Anyone remember the "Norway/Switzerland model" that was banded about.

J

Quote Originally Posted by Bristolhibby View Post

J

Not so sure. I voted yes last time but would likely vote no if asked again. Perhaps once we know what brexit will bring, but not before.

Bore off Sturgeon. The lack of respect for the 2014 result by the SNP has been a disgrace. There was ongoing agitation for a second vote long before Brexit provided a convenient cover story. Had the vote gone the other way three years ago and there had been a call from no voters for a second referendum do you think the SNP would have given that a second's consideration? Yet you'd think by their stance since 2014 that the yes voters had in some way been unjustly served at the ballot box. Yes, the SNP's rasion d'etre is an independent Scotland but their record as a government which is supposed to act in the interests of all Scottish citizens has been pitiful, such has been their monomanical obsession with indyref2.

It's a nonsense to suggest there's a groundswell of fear across Scotland about leaving the EU. In fact a good number of SNP members and supporters actually voted for Brexit (I voted remain incidentally). It's an excuse, not a reason for another tiresome referendum which will serve no purpose other than to stir up all the bitterness among the more rabid elements on both sides, which was the most depressing aspect of 2014. This is nothing to do with Brexit, it's all about power for the SNP. Stock phrases such as 'against our will' and 'hard Brexit cliff edge' are simply powerful sound bites.
    Last edited by G B Young; 13-03-2017 at 12:59 PM.

And I'd only just starting speaking to my no voting neighbour in the last few weeks. Oh well, here we go.....2 in a row.....kind of :-D

@hibs.net private member Newry Hibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanWilson View Post
    Scotland voted to remain in the UK. The UK voted to Exit the EU. Scotland didn't get a vote on this.

Otherwise 'London' could say 'we' want to stay. Maybe my household will leave the EU and my neighbours will stay in.

Quote Originally Posted by beensaidbefore View Post
    Not so sure. I voted yes last time but would likely vote no if asked again. Perhaps once we know what brexit will bring, but not before.
    I guess that is why she mentioned Autumn 18 to Spring 19 at the earliest. Give people like yourself the chance to assess both options.

J

I'm only going to post once on this thread due to my despising rampant nationalism that is the cause of most destruction historically. I am firmly against the SNP because of it albeit realising the juxtaposition of mainly English nationalism that caused brexit which has given scope for the SNP to raise its own form once again and call for another indy ref. Brexit has been a disaster for folk like me who detest nationalism. There is no doubt in my mind the SNP would win a re-run while causing massive division and disruption across the island called the UK we all happen to live on. The brexiteers like Gove and Johnson whom ran the campaign must have known this would happen and leads me to thinking there was a plan put in place to split the UK for reasons we are not privy to, possibly being the UK is bankrupt. The UK is finished if a second indy ref is called and I for one am vexed by the brexiteers who were duped into thinking breaking off from the EU was a sensible option.

glory glory
    Last edited by northstandhibby; 13-03-2017 at 01:10 PM.